Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So, I enjoy a good old-school RPG quite a bit.

I'm open to suggestions - which PS title should I try out? I've played some of them before on friend's emulators, but for no great length of time.

Comparisons between the various games would help.

Start with the first, and work your way up. That's my suggestion.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

If you really enjoy old RPGs, then start with the first, move to the second, and skip to the fourth. The third can be played any time after the second without much story conflict, though you'd probably get most out of it before the fourth.

If you are just interested in old RPGs and don't want to go through too much trouble, the fourth is pretty much a summery. It can stand by itself without much trouble. However, it would spoil the previous ones if you ever get around to them (except three).

Yeah, start at the beginning. PSIV isn't a bad intro, but it's probably better to start with older games.

I warn you in advance that PSII is painful and you kind of need to be told how the battle system works. It confused the hell out of me until I commented on it to Meira and he explained it to me, heh. PSII is also a study in angst, bring tissue.

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

On 2007-02-26 21:14, Zorafim wrote:
    However, it would spoil the previous ones if you ever get around to them (except three).
    Actually, the "big startling revelation" from toward the end of Phantasy Star III is revealed rather early on in Phantasy Star IV, so yes, it would spoil it.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

Like the others, I would suggest playing them in order. The later games tend to tie in the proceeding ones - save for Phantasy Star III.

If you decide to start off with Phantasy Star I, I would suggest that you pick up some graph paper. You're going to need to map out dungeons and keep track of your current position.

Down for the Getdown

I tried playing PS1 but its WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too old school for my taste.
    Can't I just skip it and still enjoy the story?

On 2007-02-27 07:33, DizzyDi wrote:
    I tried playing PS1 but its WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too old school for my taste.
    Yes, it is possible. You may miss some of the homages in the later games, but each one plays well enough on its own.

On 2007-02-27 07:33, DizzyDi wrote:
    ...must resist...urge...to smack.

Seriously, though. What's wrong with kids today? No attention span, afraid of a little challenge, too jaded by flashy graphics, etc.

On 2007-02-27 08:06, Obscenity wrote:
    ...must resist...urge...to smack.

Seriously, though. What's wrong with kids today? No attention span, afraid of a little challenge, too jaded by flashy graphics, etc.
    Compared against modern-day RPG games, Phantasy Star I would probably receive low marks from most people. The minimalistic graphics, lack of advanced skills, no auto-mapping, and first-person dungeon view would probably be a turn-off to those people. It was a great RPG game for the late 80s, but the genre has advanced since then.