Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Yeah, John... I know.

It had long before been known to stellar cartographers as a major feature in the constelation Perseus, located in the gorgon's head. In fact, Algol is actually an arabic name (al-gh?l) meaning "Head of the Ghul", or "Head of the Gorgon". Algol has also been known to be called "The Devil's Star" (Rosh ha Sitan from Hebrew meaning "Satan's Head") - which may explain why Rieko Kodama chose that as the name for the solar system in Phantasy Star.
    Otherwise, I agree with the OP that the Alissa III never went to Earth as Ragol =/= Earth.
    I agree... Ragol is not Earth. Though you can't say that the Alisa III never went to earth - because in one of the four endings to PSIII it DID happen. In another ending, the Alisa III meets up with the Neo-Palm and the two ships continue their journey together. In two of the endings, the Alisa III lands on a planet - one of which bears a striking resemblance to Ragol.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

I'm gonna have to go with Sinue on most of the issues, here. One thing though (and honestly, this is trivial)-- the ancient civilization in Gurhal was destroyed 12,000 years prior (Pete actually claims "12 millenia"). I just played through that part today, so it's still fresh in my memory.

Furthermore, concerning ancient civilizations in Algol, we can speculate that there were bound to have been at least as many civilizations of various technological levels risen and fallen in Algol as there have been on Earth, but the games make no reference to them, whatsoever. Whether or not they did is truely unimportant. Also, the Light and the Darkness being individual beings or an entire civilization of spiritual beings depends on the continuity you follow. The English-language version claims that they were both individual beings, while the Japanese version claims they were a civilization. Given their nature as spiritual beings, I don't personally have any issues with them effectively being both.

I, too, have never heard of Rykros being the place where Dark Force was sealed (myself, having been part of the online Phantasy Star community since 1998 or so, and having participated in a great number of debates on various Algolian subjects). In fact, you only ever hear of Dark Force being sealed in Phantasy Star 3. The being sealed in Algol was The Profound Darkness, and Dark Force/Falz was the embodiment of her negative emotions.

Sonic Team has never out-right denied that Phantasy Star Online was in no way connected to the classic series. They have claimed that they occur in the same universe, and they have claimed that the people of Pioneer 2 are not from Algol. They are, after all, from Coral. This does not constitute a canonical connection, but it does leave a gaping possibility for a connection to be made, should occasion arise for it to be explored.

All the sword books really did for you was provide some history to the Four Swords.

Regarding the unsealability of the TJ Sword, it has been proven that killing 23,000 mobs (the sword must land the finishing hit) with the weapon will open up the "Use" function, to unseal it. This did not work in the Dreamcast version, but was fixed for all subsequent versions. The means was originally uncovered by Barubary (if I remember rightly) who dug it up from the item's code. There are several bugs to this, however, as the weapon must remain in your inventory (possibly even equipped) as banking it, dropping it, or trading it to another person will reset the counter.

There were no "Photon" whips in Phantasy Star II, though there was *a* whip, anyway. I speculate that this was the reason Sonic Team chose to include them in the PSU expansion. Also, as another bit of trivia, the only other Phantasy Star game to include Bows was Phantasy Star III.

Concerning the "Phantasy Star V?" and "Phantasy Star Online 2?" teasers in the original PSU trailer, I am content to chalk that up as a pure marketting choice.

Finally DurrakenX, this is definitely the right forum for this topic (and I applaud Dhylec for his decision). The primary purpose of this forum is to discuss the classic Phantasy Star series, but it can be just as well used as a catch-all for topics discussing multiple Phantasy Star series, and most especially topics including the classic series. Besides, this thread wouldn't have gotten proper attention for its subject in PSU General, anyway (not to mention, the original post as originally posted has no actual discussion of PSU in it, to begin with).

Keep up the good work on this project, though. This could become a terribly interesting thread, if you're not careful.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2007-03-04 02:49 ]</font>

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

Well, despite the differences in offical canon concerining the war between the light and darkness - I still hold to the belief that they were a civilization of spirtual beings which engaged in a civil war. It's Ra-Faze and the other guardians of Ryukros which sway my opinion. Though they could just as well be beings created by the light (much like we consider angels, and a counter to the darkness's "demons") they are spiritual beings and (in japanese canon) remenants of the Great Light's civilization. It's purely a matter of taste, but it's easier for me to accept them that way.

The reason for the change is rather simple - because many asian cultures believe in several gods or spirits which hold sway over the natural world. In most western cultures, we are monotheistic - believing in one god, a singular all-powerful being. The localization team at Sega probably thought that the idea of a singular god who banished it's "evil" nature to anoher dimension would be easier to grasp.

Such changes have taken place before - such as Ustvestia's dialouge change in Phantasy Star II. Ustvestia is actually one of the first openly homosexual characters in an RPG - though at the time homosexuality was very taboo in the west (expecially for a game being marketed at kids and teens). So instead, he become a sexist bigot. Another example of "Western Canon" that I don't subscribe to. He is, and always will be (to me at least) homosexual.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Getting any group of fans of PS to agree on ANYTHING is an exercise in futility. XD

Er, maybe I'm zoning out, but where in PS is there ever mention of finding remnants of some millions of years old civilization? o.O The only mention of finding any sort of ancient technology I can think of is in PSIV where they're just rediscovering their own technology from before the Great Collapse. Enlighten me?

But yeah. Even if you can get people to agree on a given theory being or not being true, half the time you can't get them agreeing on *why* it is or isn't true.

Speaking of missing things, where does the claim that the Esper Mansion was founded shortly after PSI come from? The compendium's entry about the Esper Mansion states that Lutz gathered his followers there after the fall of the Landeel dynasty, which supposedly happened in 843, Lutz going into hiding on Dezolis in 845. No mention is made when it states when he originally went into cold sleep of where, the only where is mentioned there in 845, this is going by the compendium translation. And saying that he went into hiding on Dezolis implies that he wasn't there already. Feel free to contradict me, but I really don't see where that claim comes from. Maybe I'm forgetting something from one of the games, but I just don't recall there ever being any indication of that happening that early?

(See, like I said, nobody will ever agree on anything.)

(Also, nitpick, Rui isn't canon. XP And if we're going by Japanese sourcebooks, PSIII ought to take place around 3290 since the English version mucked up the date.)

Eh, it's late and I'm feeling contrary. Nevermind me. XD

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

The First

the reason i will not change Tsumikiri J-Sword is a very easy reason...it's not 100% proven fact. No one has ever sat there and watched their friend kill 23000 mobs in one setting to prove this and because there are so many glitches that it is still pretty unknown...

Also J-sword was not in DCv1 or v2 as far as I know. Though I cannot be certain as during that time i really didn't care much for getting those weapons.

As stated before if Alissa 3 never reaches earth Earthmen would never go to algol. They would have no reason to or even know that they exist. Also I didn't say that all their tech came from the Alissa 3 but more than likely their space drive did.

On 2007-03-04 12:29, DurakkenX wrote:
    As stated before if Alissa 3 never reaches earth Earthmen would never go to algol. They would have no reason to or even know that they exist. Also I didn't say that all their tech came from the Alissa 3 but more than likely their space drive did.
    You cannot substantiate this, and as well, it is self-defeating. To assert that the Alissa III not coming to Earth means that the Earthmen never came to Algol, then the Alissa III would subsequently never be constructed to begin with, out of sheer lack of necessity. Because we know that the Alissa III was constructed and may not necessarily have arrived at Earth, the Earthmen are logically required to arrive at Algol on their own accord. When there are four endings and no canonical confirmation of any individual ending, you cannot void out 3 of them in favor of one in specific.

Prior to learning the endings of Phantasy Star 3, we were left to assume that the Earthmen got to Algol without any help. I see no reason why this assumption could be voided. Besides, we're smart, too-- if the Algolians can figure out a means of interstellar travel, then so can we.

It's fun to speculate, but speculation cannot be identified as fact.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

The First

as i have previously stated because temporal mechanics allows something to exist that must the Alissa 3 would exist if it did not reach earth and earthmen never went to algol. This is a pointless argument since most people don't understand the workings of time. No offense to you or anyone else it's just how it is.

On 2007-03-03 20:37, Sinue_v2 wrote:
    4. The character in the PSO v.2 ending of PSO does not resemble Lutz. In fact, you never really see that character in clear detail. However, he was a character model you could use if you cheated on the game. Knowing several modders and cheaters on v.1/v.2 - I've seen the "Ninja/FOmar" and he looks NOTHING like Lutz.
    The character model you are referring to was the Game Master model, and was not utilized at all in the game until Blue Burst, one which admin clumsyorchid was seen using on occasion.

The figure in the URAENDING/all quests completed credits is a white-robed and hooded character with a Psycho Wand. Who else is it supposed to be?

As I've said before, though, I'm willing to concede he may be an "alternate PSO universe" Lutz (hence the PSO-style Psycho Wand, I suppose), but Lutz nevertheless.
    Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

Why exactly are we assuming that Lutz, Rune, Elvis or whoever the hell else has been theorized for that would be on Ragol/random worldship anyway? I mean, yes, Lutz was fucking 1337, but not THAT fucking 1337. O_o

Some random Esper Lutz might have sent to help take care of Falz on whatever worldship(s), sure, but not likely Lutz himself. How would he have gotten there? Sure, he can teleport, but between star systems? o.O Besides, Lutz never wore a white robe that we saw him in. Other Espers, sure, but Lutz always wore a blue robe with a white cloak. XP For that matter, the PSO Psycho Wand looks nothing at all like the PS Psycho Wand.

And the model used in the ending is the same as the GM model, just palette-swapped. Light knows I saw Broomop using the GM model often enough in the early days of PSOBBJP.

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

I was honestly astounded that this became a point of contention in the first place. I seems very obvious to me that Sonic Team's intention here was to jam Lutz in here as a "wink" (welcome or not) to classic Phantasy Star fans.

It's the "grand finale" of this credits sequence, apparently of Falz's original sealing in the ruins. Why stick some random no-name FOmar in there? Why stick a random no-name, lower-level esper in there, either, when you can stick in THE esper?

It may or may not be a palette-swapped model, but if that is the case it was only as a means to make his hooded cloak (robes, whatever... I meant the thing with the hood) look more like Lutz's. The Psycho Wand alone is the dead giveaway: yes, it's PSO's version of the Psycho Wand, but, much more importantly, it's PSO's version of the Psycho Wand. Both these things (reinforced by being together) are quintessential Lutz.

As to how Lutz is there, again, who knows. I mean, who's to say this was even a different star system--the ruins spaceship could have been in Algo. Or... why can't be another system? For one reason or another, he may have decided to travel the universe when he came across it. It's just another blank for the fans to fill in, as usual.
    Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.