Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

CHAPTER FORTY THREE

Deepfreeze pounded on the door until his fist hurt. He sighed and stepped away. He wasn’t sure how a new door had been installed so quickly but there was no way he was getting out. He stared at it for a moment before a thought came to him. Perhaps this wasn’t a blast door. Maybe this was the ancient door that had originally sealed the ruins. It wouldn’t be hard to close it from the outside. He turned and headed back to the third level. His only hope of escape now was the hole Dark Falz had crawled from. He wasn’t sure how far underground he was but he had no other choice. The ruins were strangely quiet and devoid of life. His foot steps echoed loudly as he limped back to the transporter. Fortunately the effects of the Soul Eater were starting to wear off. His arm was almost completely normal and the limp was getting better too. He could hear faint echoes of the battle raging over head. Falcon should have arrived by now. If he had been smart he would have programmed the transporter on level two of the mines to take him directly to the Central Dome. Deepfreeze hurried down the long tunnel past the crystal monument and over to the transporter. He stared at the pulsing beams of light. Last time he stepped through this door he had been taken to a virtual field that contained grave markers and the obelisk that had imprisoned Dark Falz. This time Dark Falz had just been trapped in the room so whatever Dark Falz had seen he should see now. He took a deep breath and stepped in. He found himself standing in the same field as before. The sun was shining down from high in the sky. The breeze was light and warm. Wild flowers were growing everywhere. The only thing missing was the grave markers. He looked over at the direction of the stone obelisk. Someone was sitting on the stone table. As he approached he saw it was a man dressed in a blue military coat. The man waved him over. Deepfreeze slowly climbed the stone steps totally in awe of what he saw.

“I was hoping one of you would show up here.” The man smiled, “I am a bit surprised it was you though.”

“You know me Sir?” Deepfreeze said softly.

“Of coarse I do.” The man laughed, “You and your android friend saved me from that hellish existence.”

“We didn’t have much choice.” Deepfreeze shrugged, “Although I would have done it anyway.”

“I know you would.” The man smiled.

“I don’t mean to be blunt Sir, but I thought you were dead.” Deepfreeze said.

“I am dead.” The man grinned, “And please call me Heathcliff. I am not a soldier anymore.”

“No, you’re a legend.” Deepfreeze smiled, “I just wish I could shake your hand.”

“As do I.” Heathcliff sighed, “I would like to officially greet one of the few who worked so hard to protect our people. Some day you will be a legend.”

“Me?” Deepfreeze gasped, “No I don’t think so. I just try to do what’s right. I don’t want any praise for it.”

“Like it or not you’re already a hero to most.” Heathcliff said placing a hand on the ranger’s shoulder, “Keep doing what you’re doing for the reasons you’re doing it and you’ll be a legend in no time.”

“I don’t want to be a legend.” Deepfreeze shook his head, “I don’t even like taking the praise I get just for doing my job.”

“Nobody who truly deserves it ever wants it.” Heathcliff replied.

His hand passed through Deepfreeze’s shoulder as he stepped away.

“What we want and what we get are usually two different things.” Heathcliff smiled, “You need to figure out what you truly want then life will become much clearer.”

“I know what I want.” Deepfreeze said, “To help people. To make peoples lives just a little bit better and safer.”

“Maybe that’s what you used to want.” Heathcliff frowned, “But is it what you want now?”

“Of course it is.” Deepfreeze nodded.

“Are you sure it’s not a certain white haired girl?” Heathcliff smirked.

Deepfreeze opened his mouth to respond then quickly closed it. Heathcliff was right. He just hadn’t been able to admit it to himself. Hearing it from this legendary ghost seemed to change things. Suddenly he couldn’t think of anything else. Amanda was everything he had ever desired in a woman but he kept pushing her away. He had been hurt too many times before that he’d been afraid she would do the same. Heathcliff seemed to sense this.

“Don’t let her get away.” He whispered, “She won’t hurt you ever. She loves you with all her soul and she’s one in a million. I know I’ve seen my share of women.”

Deepfreeze nodded then gasped.

“Falz!”

“Ah yes, the problem at hand.” Heathcliff smiled, “The answer is right here.”

He turned and pointed at the stone table. Deepfreeze stepped up to it and looked down. The three monument symbols were carved into the top. Deepfreeze gently ran his fingers over the top.

“So what do I do?”

“Put him back.” Heathcliff replied.

“How?”

“The pillars must be reactivated.” Heathcliff said, “They are more than simple locks for the door. They are the transmitters for this. Once activated they will act like a tractor beam pulling Dark Falz back here.”

“They were set up just in case he escaped?” Deepfreeze frowned.

“Yes and no.” Heathcliff shrugged, “They doubled as shield emitters to keep him inside. That part failed years ago but the transmitter should still work. I hope.”

“You hope?” Deepfreeze smirked.

“We’ve got nothing else.” Heathcliff shrugged.

“You’re right.” Deepfreeze nodded, “Then we seal this place off so we never have to deal with him again.”

“Exactly.”

“Thank you Heathcliff.” Deepfreeze smiled, “You’ve helped me far more than I could have thought.”

“You needed it and our future needed it.” Heathcliff smiled.

“You’re the second person that’s been concerned about my future.” Deepfreeze said, “What’s the deal?”

“That’s for you to find out.” Heathcliff waved and faded away.

Deepfreeze tapped his BEE.

“Elly here.”

“Elly, Deepfreeze here.”

“Deepfreeze, where are you?” Elly gasped, “We’re getting killed up here. Everyone needs you.”

“I have the solution but I need you to contact Montague and have him bring the biggest explosive device he has to the ruins gate.” Deepfreeze said.

“OK.” Elly replied slowly.

“Then round up three hunters and have them activate the three monuments.” Deepfreeze continued.

“The monuments but…” Elly started to question.

“Hurry Elly time is short.” Deepfreeze urged.

“Right away.” Elly nodded and cut the link.

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

CHAPTER FOURTY FOUR

Dark Falz rose up high above the hunters and dropped another chain of orbs. These targeted Falcon. He out ran everyone but the last one which circled around and came back at him.

“Now he’s playing dirty.” Falcon grumbled.

Sahara helped him to his feet only to be dropped by a Grants attack. Falcon quickly chomped down a monomate to help his repair system. Dark Falz dropped down swinging at Cerberus and a small group of hunters. Cerberus ducked the attack but two of the hunters weren’t so lucky. Dark Falz swung a second time. HitmanJ dove aside just missing the attack. Amanda just stood there taking the full blunt. She didn’t seem to notice it coming until it was too late. HitmanJ ran to check on her. She was battered and cut and slow to get up.

“Amanda you need to focus.” He said helping her up, “I couldn’t stand to lose both of you.”

“No!” She shouted, “Aphrodite is not dead!”

“Pull yourself together.” HitmanJ shook her, “I need your help. Now and later. Amanda please.”

Amanda shook her head and looked into HitmanJ’s mask. She blinked then nodded. The professional hunter returned to her face.

“Alright.” She said, “For Aphrodite.”

“For Aphrodite.” HitmanJ nodded.

Together they went after the monster that had taken their friend.

Lisa dodged the chain of balls for the third time in a row only to be blasted with Grants. An older RAmarl helped her up only to be cut down by Dark Falz claw. Lisa stood in shock staring at her hands that were covered in the girl’s blood. She scooped up her launcher and fired. Dark Falz had moved just out of range and was attacking a small group of forces then moved to a group of hunters. Only one force got back up. He just stood there looking at his fallen comrades. Lisa was joined by a RAcast and another RAcaseal. They fired as soon as they were in range. Lisa could see Cerberus and Elenor on the far side of the field running from a Megid blast. Falcon and Sahara moved in from the right. They got a couple of shots in before Dark Falz moved left ploughing over a HUnewearl and a FOmar. HitmanJ, Amanda, and Lacy took up positions battling the monster covering for Bernie and Ash who were helping the fallen hunters. They didn’t seem to be making any progress and Dark Falz was dropping them like insects.

“We can’t keep going like this.” The RAcast said.

“We fight to the end.” Lisa replied, “If we don’t it’ll be the end anyway.”

“You’re very brave for someone so small.” The RAcast nodded.

“Look out.” The RAcaseal cried.

Dark Falz arm swung at them. Lisa ducked just in time. She looked over to receive a thumbs up from the other RAcaseal. She looked back to check on the RAcast. He had been cut in half at the waist.

“No!” Lisa gasped.

“Run.” The RAcaseal cried grabbing Lisa’s arm.

Dark Falz swung at them with a one, two chop. He missed the androids by a hair. Pushan cried in pain. The mag had received a serious cut from Dark Falz.

“Pushan!” Lisa cried, “Are you hurt badly?”

The mag made a sound very similar to crying. A shimmering white liquid slowly oozed from the cut in his left wing.

“Pushan’s hurt.” Lisa said.

“This way.” The RAcaseal pointed, “Elenor should be able to help.”

Lisa nodded and followed the android. Pushan fell from his position over Lisa’s shoulder. Lisa spun around and scooped him up. She turned around to find the RAcaseal lying on the ground. She had a deep cut running from her right shoulder down to her left hip. She didn’t appear to be functioning. Lisa wanted to try to help but she had to help Pushan first. Elenor and Cerberus knocked flat by another Grants blast. Dark Falz followed it up with his one, two chop cutting down two RAmars and a FOnewm. Lisa ran up holding Pushan. Elenor was on her feet when she saw the injured mag.

“Give him here quick.” She said reaching for Pushan.

Lisa handed him over. Elenor looked over the mag and smiled.

“He’ll be alright but I’m going to need some cover.” She said.

“Lisa and I will, you help Pushan.” Cerberus nodded.

He and Lisa took positions in front of Elenor. Dark Falz slashed as the rangers knocking them down. Nidra charged up and created a temporary shield around Cerberus.

“Next time he gets close.” Cerberus groaned, “Wham, Estilla right up the kisser.”

Lisa smiled. She could see Falcon and Sahara move in for another shot. Dark Falz rose up releasing his volley. The two hunters went down. They received full photon charges but Dark Falz moved away. He attacked a mixed group of hunters then HitmanJ and Amanda. Savitri started bouncing with excitement.

“What’s his problem?” HitmanJ groaned nursing a cut shoulder.

“I don’t know.” Amanda shrugged, “He doesn’t have a full photon gauge.”

HitmanJ’s Kaitbha chimed with a full charge. Then every mag on the field including the ones with dead masters rose up into the sky surrounding Dark Falz in a perfect circle. Dark Falz swiped at the small machines taking out a few but the others remained. Pushan pulled from Elenor’s hands and joined the others.

“What is happening?” Lisa gasped.

“I have never seen anything like this in my life.” Cerberus replied.

Elenor stood up and smiled but said nothing. Every hunter stood staring up at their mags. The mags started circling around Dark Falz. Even the monster seemed stunned by what was happening. He stopped his attack and watched the mags. The photon blast symbol appeared at the center of the circle trapping and holding Dark Falz in place.

“WOW!” Amanda gasped, “I didn’t know they could do that.”

“We can’t attack him way up there.” Falcon pointed, “What are we supposed to do?”

“Be patient.” Elenor said, “The end is near.”

“How do you know that?” HitmanJ asked.

“I can talk to mags remember.” Elenor smirked.

“OK, how do they know that?” Lacy frowned.

“They are talking to Deepfreeze’s Sato.” Elenor shrugged.

“Then what are they doing?” Cerberus sighed.

“Bringing the end to all this.” Elenor said.

“Elenor.” Bernie growled, “Just get to the point woman.”

“Sorry, I can only tell you what they tell me.” Elenor slumped her shoulders.

“It better be good.” Cerberus said staring up at the paralysed monster.

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

CHAPTER FOURTY FIVE

Deepfreeze watched as one by one the symbols lit up. The green mines was the last. Deepfreeze scratched Sato’s chin. She let out a meow then some chirps and other noises.

“I hope that means it’s time.” Deepfreeze said then tapped his BEE, “Doctor Montague are you ready?”

“The device is in place.” Montague replied, “Everyone has to be clear before we set this thing off.”

“Clear everyone out.” Deepfreeze said, “I’ll meet you at the Central Dome.”

“The ruins door is wide open now.” Montague laughed, “Don’t take too long ha, ha!”

“Here goes nothing.” Deepfreeze said.

He took a deep breath then pushed each symbol. A blinding light shot up from the spire. Deepfreeze was thrown back landing on the grass. The ground began to shake and crack. Sato let out a loud meow.

“You’re right it’s time to get the heck outa here.” Deepfreeze said.

He jumped to his feet and ran for the exit. The ground started splitting in front of him making it very difficult to run. He reached the exit and jumped through. He reappeared in the ruins. Chunks of metal and rock fell from the ceiling. The lights were flashing from the power surges. Some of the dark creatures were wandering around looking quite confused. They completely ignored the fleeing ranger. The mines were even worse. Level two was already unstable from the weapons fire and now the whole place was coming down. Deepfreeze ran as fast at his legs would carry him. He had to dodge around falling panels and ceiling braces as well as chunks of bed rock. He strafed around a Garnz as it wildly fired rockets in to the air. Some dove into the doorway of Deepfreeze’s exit. It started to come down. He slid sideways and squeezed past a falling boulder just before is sealed the doorway.

“Too close.” He gasped.

The transporter was just ahead. He shoulder checked a Gilchic that was blocking his way. The impact knocked him off balance. He slipped sideways and fell. The Gilchic turned to attack. Deepfreeze jumped to his feet and blasted it with Zonde. He waved goodbye and dove into the transporter.

Three coloured beams rose up into the sky connecting above Dark Falz. A fourth white beam shot up from the ground, through Dark Falz and connected with the other beams. The hunters all ran back to a safe distance and watched in awe. Dark Falz roared as the beams pulled him back down. He touched ground then his physical body split open as his spirit was pulled free and dragged back into the ruins. The rumbling and shaking was deafening and several hunters lost their footing. Amanda landed hard on her butt. It hurt but she didn’t cry out. The pain she felt now was much worse than any physical pain. HitmanJ sat down beside her no longer able to stand himself. He took her hand and held it tight. They watched as the beams of light pushed deep into the ground then flashed out. Everything was dead quiet with only the trickle of the brook to indicate life still existed. No one moved. No one spoke. They all stood like statues wondering if it was truly over. Doctor Montague stood by the Central Dome transporter and started to clap. No one on the battle field could hear him. Deepfreeze appeared in the transporter. Doctor Montague turned and grabbed his hand.

“It was amazing my friend!” Montague cheered, “A true demonstration of pure Alpha photons ha, ha!”

“It’s done then?” Deepfreeze asked.

“Yes.” Montague nodded.

“Is your device ready?”

Montague nodded with a smile.

“Then do it.”

“You realise when this Alpha photon generator overloads the mines and ruins will cease to exist.” Montague said holding the trigger.

“I’m counting on it.” Deepfreeze said.

“OK then.” Montague said.

He pushed the trigger. There was a soft rumble and the ground actually heaved the settled.

“It’s done.” Montague said, “I’m going to see if Elenor survived.”

“Go find her Doc.” Deepfreeze said.

Doctor Montague started to leave then turned and smiled. It was a smile Deepfreeze had never seen on the man. Then he spoke with a voice that was not his own.

“You have someone to find. She’s waiting and she’s in pain.”

He turned and walked through the door. Deepfreeze stood in shock.

“Thank you Heathcliff.” He said quietly.

Sato meowed. Deepfreeze nodded and left to find his friends. HitmanJ, Lacy, and Amanda were huddled near the forest edge. Cerberus appeared to be standing guard over them. Falcon and Sahara were checking the bodies for survivors. Elenor was talking to Doctor Montague. Bernie and Ash were assisting the medical teams with the remaining injured hunters. Striker was coming across the field dragging his Red Sword. He looked ready to collapse. No one had noticed Deepfreeze yet. He watched as Striker stopped in front of his friends and dropped his sword. His uniform was torn to shreds and he was bleeding from several cuts. His left fore arm looked like it was broken. He spit up some blood then smiled.

“My family can rest now.”

His eye rolled back and he collapsed. Cerberus ran over and picked him up.

“Medics!” He yelled.

Two medics with a stretcher ran over and collected the injured hunter. Once Striker was secure they transported him back to the ship. HitmanJ helped Amanda up and they started to head to the central telepipe that had been set for the hunters to return to the ship. Deepfreeze slowly approached his friends. They turned to look at him but no one smiled. They didn’t even wave him over. Amanda looked at him the longest. It wasn’t the gaze of anger though; it was the gaze of great pain. Deepfreeze knew instantly something very bad had happened. He simply walked over to Cerberus and followed them back to the ship. They appeared at the main transporter. HitmanJ, Lacy, and Amanda immediately went into the hospital. Cerberus and Deepfreeze hung back.

“What is it Cerberus.” Deepfreeze asked softly, “What has happened.”

Cerberus thought for a moment then put his arm around Deepfreeze’s shoulder.

“You know how ever once in a while Amanda uses her techniques with out proper control?”

“Yes.” Deepfreeze nodded, “She drained most of her mind energy. It could kill her if she’s not careful.”

“Aphrodite used every last drop of her’s.” Cerberus said softly.

“What!” Deepfreeze gasped, “No!”

“She saved us.” Cerberus said, “She single handily took out Dark Falz second form. We couldn’t have beaten him if she hadn’t. Our weapons were useless. She saved us all.”

“I have to see.” Deepfreeze said.

He charged into the hospital. The Newman nurse pointed him in the direction before he had a chance to ask. The hospital corridors were packed with injured and dying people. Deepfreeze weaved through the crowd and almost ran past Aphrodite’s room. He quietly entered trying not to disturb the others. Aphrodite was lying on the bed dressed in the hospital gown and wrapped in blankets. Several probes and tubes were connected to her. Amanda and Lacy were holding each other. HitmanJ was seated beside Aphrodite holding her hand. She didn’t move. The Doctor entered the room. He waited for everyone’s attention.

“I’m sorry.” He said, “We’ve tried everything but we just can not restore her brain functions. I’m afraid the only thing keeping her alive is these machines and they’re only barely doing that.”

“What are you saying?” Amanda asked.

“Does she have any family we can contact?” The Doctor asked.

“I’m the closest thing she has to family.” Amanda replied.

Lacy let her go so she could face the doctor.

“You must understand we can’t keep her on these indefinitely.” The Doctor said, “She won’t live on her own. I’m sorry.”

The Doctor turned and walked out. Amanda turned and looked at HitmanJ. He looked down at Aphrodite and began to cry. The others left so he could be with her for one last time.

CHAPTER FOURTY SIX

Three months passed since the final battle with Dark Falz. Doctor Montague’s explosions had completely destroyed the mines and buried the ruins. A stability survey had been done on the area and was determined too unstable for excavation. Dark Falz was finally sealed away forever. Rico Tyrell had passed away two weeks after fight with Dark Falz. Her father took her death even harder this time and became extremely depressed and reclusive. His public appearances became fewer forcing Irene to take over many of his duties. Sue and Nighthawk had disappeared taking the Black Paper information with them. Most of the other members had been arrested but the only charge that they had evidence for was their attempt to take over the ship. Doctor Montague continued his photon research but more and more of his time were drifting to astronomy. Many people were convinced he was searching for something specific but he wouldn’t say what. Kireek had vanished with only the odd sighting to suggest he was still alive. The D-cell creatures continue to spread faster than the Hunters Guild and military could handle. This meant planet access remained restricted. Ship wide moral plummeted as it became clear they wouldn’t be settling any time soon. Pioneer Three’s fate leaked out adding to the dismal moral. Gangs and Mafia groups quickly formed. The crime rate shot up leaving ship security stretched beyond capacity. People began demanding Principal Tyrell’s resignation. Corruption flowed through the guild and eventually penetrated into the guardians division. There was no body left for the citizens of Pioneer Two to turn to for help. The few honest hunters that remained were forced to retreat to the planet and go into hiding. Deepfreeze had found a peaceful beach front property on Gal Da Val Island to call home. He had set up energy fences to keep the islands animal life away and built a simple little cottage to live in. He placed the last of the wood on the fire he had built on the beach. The sun was just dipping below the horizon when Nikki and Crystal appeared. He waved the girls over to the logs he had found for benches. Crystal was in legs braces and had to limp to the fire. Her spine had been broken in the battle and the doctors had been able to restore only minimal function to her legs. Nikki helped her take a seat. Deepfreeze offered her a blanket. He turned and gave Nikki a hug.

“How are you holding up?” He asked.

“Better than my father.” Nikki smiled, “He’s still broken up over Jesse. I don’t think he’ll ever heal. I’m worried about him.”

“If I can do anything just ask.” Deepfreeze said.

“Thank you but I don’t think there is anything you can do anymore.” Nikki sighed, “You are wanted by several mafia groups.”

“I am?” Deepfreeze frowned, “I’ll just have to watch my back then.”

“Hey, guess what.” Nikki smiled, “I’ve transferred to the lab. I get to work with Elenor now.”

“How’s she doing?” Deepfreeze asked.

“Busy.” Nikki sighed, “There’s a lot of homeless mags.”

“They can’t find owners for them.” Crystal said, “Nobody wants to be a hunter anymore.”

“These are sad times.” Deepfreeze shook his head.

“Have you talked to HitmanJ lately?” Crystal asked.

“No but Cerberus did.” Deepfreeze replied, “He took Aphrodite’s death pretty hard. Having Striker as a friend just made things worse.”

“I heard he kept Aphrodite’s mag.” Nikki said.

“That’s what Cerberus said.” Deepfreeze nodded.

“I’ll have to ask him tonight.” Crystal smiled.

Cerberus and Amanda appeared carrying trays of food. Deepfreeze helped them set it on a table he had set up. He hugged Amanda who kissed him then he hugged Cerberus.

“How’s it going big guy.” Deepfreeze smiled taking Amanda’s hand.

“Not good.” Cerberus shrugged, “I resigned from the Guardians today.”

“Me too.” Amanda nodded.

“I’m sorry to hear it has gotten that bad.” Deepfreeze said.

“Our future here looks bleak.” Cerberus sighed, “You’ve got a nice place here though.”

“It’s not much but it’s peaceful.” Deepfreeze said, “There’s room for more.”

“That’s good because we need a new place to live.” Amanda said, “We’ve attracted too much attention from the mafia.”

“You guys are more than welcome.” Deepfreeze smiled.

Falcon and Sahara appeared next. They greeted everyone then took a seat by the fire. Cerberus sat beside Falcon while Deepfreeze and Amanda went to fetch the rest of the refreshments.

“How are you two surviving these days?” Cerberus asked.

“It’s a forever losing battle.” Falcon sighed, “I can’t believe I’m forced to say this but my strength and Sahara’s skill just aren’t enough to keep the dark creatures under control.”

“They’ve infected the native creatures now.” Sahara said, “We have Del Rappies for crying out loud.”

“It hasn’t been a complete loss.” Falcon said, “I acquired these.”

He pulled a pair of metal katanas from his back.

“Sange and Yasha, nice.” Cerberus nodded.

“They’re just replicas but still.” Falcon said stowing his swords.

“I haven’t seen you around the guild much lately.” Sahara said.

“Deepfreeze has had me taking care of a few things.” Cerberus said, “I’m not sure what it is really about but it must be important.”

“With him, it always is.” Sahara laughed.

HitmanJ and Striker finally arrived. The sun had long set and the stars were out in full glory. HitmanJ quietly walked over to the fire and sat down. The others watched as he sat petting Aphrodite’s Bhima. Striker strutted up to the fire sporting his new artificial eye.

“Is this a party of a funeral?” He said, “Come on people look alive!”

“I’m not in the mood.” HitmanJ grumbled.

“We need some music to liven things up.” Striker said.

“Striker!” Sahara frowned and nodded at HitmanJ.

“It’s been three months.” Striker shrugged, “Time to move on.”

The androids sat still. HitmanJ quietly stood up behind Striker.

“Yes it was very sad about Aphrodite but you can’t spend the rest of your life moping around.” Striker shrugged, “She wasn’t the only fish in the sea.”

HitmanJ grabbed Striker by the shoulder, spun him around and decked him. Striker crumpled to the ground.

“Aphrodite was the only fish in the sea.” HitmanJ growled, “If you ever speak ill about her again I’ll ripe your throat out.”

HitmanJ turned and sat on the other side of the fire. Striker got up rubbing what soon was to become a black eye.

“It’s not like I meant anything.” Striker shrugged.

“Just sit down.” Falcon grumbled.

“Not until we get this party started.” Striker shook his head.

“SIT DOWN!” Falcon yelled.

Striker dropped down on the log.

“Better.” Falcon mumbled.

“Where’s Tessa?” Sahara asked.

“She’s going to be a little late.” Striker shrugged, “I told her I’d meet her here.”

“You didn’t wait for her!” Sahara gasped then shook her head.

“What?” Striker shrugged.

“You are a real piece of work.” Cerberus grumbled.

“At least I’m not a rusty bucket of bolts.” Striker shot.

“At least I’m not a pompous Jack…” Cerberus started.

“So, how are you and Tessa making out?” Sahara interrupted.

“Everyday.” Striker grinned.

The androids all groaned.

“Show the lady some respect.” HitmanJ glared.

Deepfreeze and Amanda returned with the rest of the food just as Tessa and Lisa appeared. Tessa quickly took a seat beside Striker who was up as soon as the food was served. He returned with a full plate of food. He sat down and began munching away.

“Where’s mine?” Tessa asked.

“You didn’t ask for any.” Striker replied.

“There’s the Striker I know.” Amanda smiled then mumbled, “And hate.”

“It’s not too late to know me better sweetie.” Striker grinned.

Everyone gasped. Tessa jumped to her feet and glared at him.

“You were a lot more thoughtful up north.” She said.

“I didn’t have you then.” Striker said filling his mouth.

“Go back up north!” Tessa yelled, “Maybe it’ll put a little sense back in you!”

She stormed away taking a seat beside HitmanJ. They sat quietly staring into the fire. Striker shrugged and continued eating. Lisa slowly shook her head then looked down to find Sato rubbing her leg.

“Hello there.” She said picking up the mag, “I’m happy to see you, so is Pushan.”

Lisa’s mag chirped. Sato gave her a soft metallic meow. She sat down beside Cerberus petting the mag. Amanda smiled and looked up at the stars.

“The sky is really beautiful tonight.” She said.

She reached for Deepfreeze’s hand but he wasn’t there. She looked around spotting him by the waters edge. She quietly slipped away. Only Sahara saw her leave. She just smiled. Deepfreeze was staring up into the night sky. Amanda quietly stepped up beside him and took his hand.

“There’s so many.” She said softly.

“Yes there are.” Deepfreeze nodded, “Montague thinks many of them have habitable worlds.”

“So you think there are other colonies out there?” Amanda asked.

“Legend say’s there were many ships that left the Algo system.” Deepfreeze said, “Coral couldn’t be the only planet they found.”

“So there could be other planets with humans on it.” Amanda said, “Do you think they
    have Newmans too.”

“Ya, I do.” Deepfreeze nodded.

“Can I ask you something personal?” Amanda asked.

“It’s not marriage is it?” Deepfreeze frowned, “Cause I believe that’s my job.”

“What?” Amanda gasped, “No, but now that you mention it.”

“What’s your question?” Deepfreeze said still staring at the sky.

“Your real name.” Amanda said quietly, “I’d like to know your real name.”

Deepfreeze looked down into her bright blue eyes. He looked deep and found his future. Heathcliff had been right. This is what he truly wanted. What his father had had. He smiled then turned back to the sky.

“Jonathan Kimble.” He said softly.

“I like it.” Amanda smiled, “Amanda Cassidy Kimble. Has a ring to it doesn’t it.”

“Your last name is Cassidy?” Deepfreeze frowned.

“Didn’t I tell you that?” Amanda smiled.

Deepfreeze shook his head.

“Now I did.” Amanda giggled.

“Can I ask you something?” Deepfreeze sighed.

“I do.” Amanda laughed and hugged his arm, “You can ask me anything.”

“Would you be willing to live on another planet?”

“Huh?” Amanda snapped her head up.

“I have Montague searching for another colony world.” Deepfreeze said, “It shouldn’t be too long now.”

“I’ll go where ever you go.” Amanda smiled, “My family is lost. My best friend is dead. All I have is you.”

‘Good.”

“But how do you know about another colony?” Amanda asked.

“Something Rico left me when she died.” Deepfreeze said pulling a small scroll from his pocket.

“What is that?” Amanda asked.

“A historical document and prophecy.” Deepfreeze said, “It speaks of an Algo colony ship that was carrying a source of great power. The details are not so good.”

He unfolded the parchment and handed it to Amanda.

“This is obviously an etching Rico did but look.” Deepfreeze said pointing to it.

“Are these star positions?” Amanda gasped.

“Yes, it points to the destination.” Deepfreeze said, “Now here’s the bad part. Rico left a note saying Kireek got his hands on a copy of this.”

“When, how?” Amanda frowned.

“Rico didn’t say but I trust her.”

“Me too.” Amanda nodded, “So we have to go here and find this before he does.”

“Chances are we’ll be following him there.” Deepfreeze said, “Remember we still have to stop him. If we can’t then anybody living there must be warned and they’ll need the Spirit Guard. If we can’t stop him here on Ragol then where ever this is will be the next battle field.”

“Do the others know about this?” Amanda asked.

“No but Cerberus has been working on it.” Deepfreeze replied.

“Do you plan on keeping him out?”

“No way, I’m bringing him along.” Deepfreeze shook his head, “He’s the only one right now that can carry on after us.”

Amanda handed the parchment back.

“Listen to the prophecy that goes with this.” Deepfreeze said, “A hero with eyes of fire shall rise up from the ashes of doom. It shall be this one that holds the key to the source of light. Only this one can drive away the dark and bring everyone into the light.”

“Sounds like your run in the mill prophecy to me.” Amanda shrugged.

“Yes but if it does come true maybe one of our family will meet this hero.” Deepfreeze said.

Amanda laughed, “I’m surprised you’re not wishing one of our children was this hero.”

Deepfreeze smiled and shrugged.

“Oh my gosh you do.” Amanda gasped, “You really are a romantic.”

“Can’t a father dream the best for his children?” Deepfreeze laughed.

“You’re not a father yet.” Amanda jabbed him.

“Just practicing.” Deepfreeze smiled.

He turned and ran back to join the others. Amanda turned and looked up at the sky. The stars seemed to shine a little brighter that night. Pioneer Two and Ragol’s futures may appear dark but her’s appeared a little brighter. Ragol’s curse had been permanently sealed inside the planet. Now it was up to her people to make their future. Amanda smiled as she thought of Aphrodite up there some where watching over her. Maybe she was with Rico, laughing and becoming fast friends. Aphrodite would always be with her no matter where in the universe she went. Always and forever.

Congratulations on a finished story, that's quite the accomplishment. Feel any differently about it now than when you started?

I'm a little sad its over but relieved as well. I hope everyone who read it enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it.