This is the sequel to Ragol’s Gift. Enjoy!

CHAPTER ONE

Christmas on Coral is always my most favourite time of the year. Dad always puts his work on hold and spends more time with the family. Mom is much happier and the apartment is full of the smell of fresh baked cookies. I can never sleep and Christmas day never comes fast enough. This year is even more special because it’s my baby brother’s first one. The presents are piled high under our small tree; of course, to me it’s huge. The big day finally comes and I am up at four in the morning tossing and turning. No way can I sleep any more so I carefully open my door just enough to squeeze through then I creep down the short hallway that feels like a mile. There just ahead is the shadowy shrine that is every kids dream. The lights suddenly flash on. I turn to see my father staring down at me.

“It’s not time yet son.” He says, “Back to bed.”

“Yes dad.” I reply and reluctantly go back to bed.

So I’m stuck in bed lying here for four more agonizing hours. The moment finally comes. Dad opens the door and shows me to the tree. The presents are handed out and Christmas begins. Baby Paul gets a few toys that he seems to enjoy. I get the Buster Jetstream Action Space Ship with lights and sound effects including five of Busters catch phrases. It’s the coolest toy ever. Once we clean up it’s time for diner. The turkey is perfect as usual. Mom works so hard to make things right. I wonder if she knows how much we love her. This is without a doubt the best Christmas ever.

It’s another beautiful summer morning, or it would be if it weren’t for the mean androids out side. Everyone in our building is afraid. Dad says if we stay quiet, the androids might not come. Baby Paul doesn’t listen too well. Mom’s with him now so Dad will be making breakfast. I quickly pull on my pants and shirt and run to the kitchen. It’s not very big. Just big enough for the stove, the small fridge, and our round little table. I burst through the door and am greeted by the smell of frying bacon. There’s a big stack of pancakes waiting for me. I love pancakes. I hop up on my chair and wait for Dad to pour the hot syrup on them.

“There you go son.” He smiles, “Eat up, we’ve got a busy day today.”

“Where are we going today Dad?” I ask with a mouth full of pancakes.

Dad doesn’t answer at first. He just stares at the bacon sizzling in the pan. Slowly he turns and looks at me. He looks so very sad.

“You know it’s not safe here.” He says.

“The androids?” I ask.

“That’s right.” He nods, “Your mother and I have agreed that we need to get you and your brother away from here.”

I stare at him, not quite understanding what he’s talking about.

“When you’re finished eating I want you to pack your bag.” He says, “Take some cloths and your two favourite toys. Leave everything else.”

“But Dad!” I start to protest.

“No Son!” He snaps, “Just do it. Now eat up.”

I nod once then finish my pancakes before heading back to my room. Moms got Paul’s things in her bag. I throw a few things in my pack and stuff my bear in last. A loud bang comes from down stairs. People start screaming in the hall. Dad grabs me by the arm.

“Come on, they’re here.” He says.

Dad yanks the door open. There’s smoke in the hallway. We rush out into the hall. Two androids are waiting for us. Baby Paul begins to cry.

“Quiet.” The green android growls.

He pulls out a sword and swings it at mom. She gasps and jumps back. Seems like he misses, but wait. The baby has stopped crying. Mom screams as Paul falls apart and lands on the floor. Dad pulls me away. The android swings again and mom stops screaming.

“Run!” Dad yells.

He pushes me down the hall. I run as fast as I can. Then I hear Dad cry. I stop and turn. The red android is standing over Dad. He’s holding a light sword. He marches toward me. I’m too scared to move.

“Good bye son.” He glares.

He swings his sword. I jump back. Pain runs down my face. My right eye won’t open. I fall and land on my back. The red android goes to stab me. The green one stops him.

“What are you doing?” The Red one asks.

“Just let him burn.” The Green says, “He’s not going anywhere. Besides I don’t feel like getting cooked in here.”

“Fine.” The Red android grumbles.

I watch them leave before turning. There’s a window at the end of the hall. If I can reach it I might be able to get out. I start coughing. Must get to the window. My eye is getting heavy. My strength finally gives out. My eye drops shut and darkness envelops me. Dead before I get to live.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freeze on 2008-02-15 15:21 ]</font>