Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

“Thank you all for coming.” Sue said, “I see a few more managed to join our ranks here in our frozen sanctuary. This is good. I know we all expected control to return to us with Doctor Lazarus’ death but that didn’t happen. Many of us are still threatened with Blackmail, arrest, family endangerment, and even death. I myself am risking my life by just being here. I have learned that our Black Hound had been freed from WORKS, but is now in custody of the controlling scientist. He has taken control of all of Lazarus’ research and equipment. Even now he is preparing to move to the new facility in the south. The Black Paper board of directors are being held there. I believe this is where they took Black Hound. Our first step is to rescue him. Then we must retrieve the information the scientist is holding against us as well as taking out his hit men. The hit men will have to be a coordinated strike as to minimize our personal losses. None of us wants to see another member get hurt; we all want to get back to making money.”

Everyone cheered. Sue waited until the noise died before continuing.

“A small rescue force is being assembled to retrieve Black Hound.” Sue said, “Anyone interested should speak with Dirge and Demoneye.”

The red RAcast and green HUcast that Striker had been following stepped on stage. It was all he could do to keep from rushing up on stage and attacking them. He didn’t have his weapon anyway. The androids stepped off the stage and remained in the corner. Several hunters approached them. Striker began pushing his way through the crowd. If the androids left on this mission, he’d lose them for sure. He had to join their team. As much as this idea made his stomach turn, he had no other options. Several hunters were trying to pitch themselves for the mission. The only way to get noticed was to be the strongest. It was time for Striker to dig deep inside and bring out the obnoxious jerk that had made Amanda loath him so very much. The jerk that picked a fight with every android he’d ever met. The jerk, Striker had spent the last year trying to bury. He came back way too easily. He grabbed two HUmars by the arm and yanked them away.

“Out of my way!” He yelled, “This job requires only the strongest hunters and that’s me!”

He pushed a RAmar and a HUnewearl flat on they’re faces then shoulder checked a HUcast. The two androids stared down at him as he glared back.

“You need me!” Striker announced, “Want me or not, I’m going!”

“This one’s got balls.” The red RAcast smiled.

“Indeed.” The green HUcast cooed, “But he’s got a bad eye. Can’t have imperfect hunters on such an important mission.”

“Even with one eye I could still kick your butt.” Striker said jabbing the HUcast in the chest.

“He’s got attitude too, Dirge.” The RAcast laughed.

Dirge growled and pushed Striker to the floor. Striker jumped to his feet and leapt at Dirge knocking the android down. He grabbed Dirge’s chest plate and shook him with all his fury.

“I am better than you.” Striker growled, “And you will pay for everything you are. Never forget this.”

Demon eye grabbed Striker by the collar and hauled him off Dirge.

“All right.” He said, “You’ve impressed me. Only someone truly brave would tackle Dirge.”

“Or truly stupid.” Dirge grumbled as he climbed to his feet.

“You’re in.” Demoneye said.

“Of coarse I am.” Striker replied dusting himself off.

“You win round one.” Dirge growled, “Do that again and I’ll have your head.”

Striker just smiled. Inside he was seething with anger but he couldn’t let the androids know. He turned and started to leave.

“Hey!” Demoneye called.

Striker turned and glared, hoping that his cover hadn’t been blown.

“We leave at eight in the morning.” Demoneye said.

Striker nodded and pushed his way through the crowd. He took deep gulps of air trying to calm him self. He needed a drink. The bartender smiled as Striker strolled in.

“You look like a man that could use some relief.” The bartender said.

“You have no idea.” Striker sighed as he plopped down on a stool.

The bartender sat a shot glass down and poured a very dark brown liquid. Striker picked up the glass and took a sniff. He squinted as the vapour stung his nose.

“What is this stuff?” He frowned.

“The first ever liquor brewed here on Ragol using Ragol's own plants.” The bartender boasted, “It’s quite good. I tried it myself.”

Striker gulped the liquid down and began choking. The bartender laughed and poured him another shot.

“Told you it was good.”

Striker nodded and wiped the tears from his eyes. His right eye may not have sight in it but the tear ducts were fully functional. It’s probably what has prevented it from needing removal. He picked up the glass and eyed the liquid. He was so close to avenging his family. For the first time he began thinking about what he’d do after his vengeance was complete. He began considering having his bad eye replaced. Hopefully Tessa would stay with him, maybe even give him the future he had dreamed about. The one his father had before it was so brutally taken away. He downed the drink, choking only a little this time.

“It gets better.” He horsed.

“You’re not planning on going anywhere tonight?” The bartender asked.

“We’re in the middle of no where.” Striker shrugged, “Where am I going to go.”

“Right, have another.” The bartender smiled.

Striker finally had his fill after four more drinks. He was feeling quite drunk and stumbled all the way back to his cabin. He crashed through the door, waking Tessa up. He fell on the cot placed across from her. She slowly slide off her cot and sat down beside him. She softly rubbed his forehead.

“They’re here.” He grumbled.

“I know.” She said softly.

“I’m working for them.” Striker groaned.

“What?” Tessa exclaimed, “What are you talking about?”

Striker didn’t reply. He was fast asleep fighting the nightmares that haunted him.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freeze on 2007-09-22 11:58 ]</font>

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

CHAPTER NINE

Cerberus was already waiting in the shuttle bay when Amanda arrived. He was standing in front of a small two man shuttle. Amanda frowned as she looked it over.

“We’re supposed to explore space in this?”

“It’s faster than it looks.” Cerberus smiled.

Amanda shrugged and climbed inside. Cerberus took a seat at the controls. He flipped a switch that sealed the hatch then started the engines. The shuttle lifted off the pad and slowly floated toward the hanger doors.

“Pioneer control.” Cerberus radioed, “This is shuttle two three eight bravo, ready for departure.”

The hanger doors slid open and Cerberus eased the throttle forward. The shuttle cleared the doors and banked into a turn that brought them out behind the ship.

“Shuttle two three eight bravo, you are cleared from Pioneer control.” The controller announced, “Good luck and Gods speed.”

“Thank you control.” Cerberus replied, “Shuttle two three eight bravo out.”

He pushed the throttle forward and the shuttle began to vibrate as it jumped to light speed. Amanda monitored the sensor screens as Cerberus began tracking the route Pioneer Two used to arrive at Ragol. Several hours passed by without a sign. Amanda started to nod off when her panel beeped. She snapped alert and read through the data.

“What is it?” Cerberus asked.

“Looks like a ship.” Amanda said, “Too small to be Pioneer Three.”

“Could be a colony ship from Pioneer Three that got separated.” Cerberus suggested.

“Maybe but that would be an indication of trouble.” Amanda shrugged, “Blast, it’s gone. Looks like it was headed for Ragol anyway.”

“We still have to find the rest of the ship.” Cerberus said.

“That’s assuming it was a piece of Pioneer Three.” Amanda sighed.

“Don’t worry.” Cerberus smiled squeezing her shoulder, “We’ll find them.”

“Thanks.” She smiled back, “I’m so glad you’re my friend.”

“I always will be.” Cerberus replied, “You’re the little sister I never had.”

“Ah that’s so sweet.” Amanda giggled.

“I never had a true family.” Cerberus said reading his panel, “I pretty much grew up with Deepfreeze so he was like my older brother. My creator was my father and I had no mother. Deepfreeze’s mother was the closest thing I had I guess.”

“That’s a strange name to call your kid don’t ya think?” Amanda smirked.

“Hey, I like my name.” Cerberus smiled.

“Not you.” Amanda laughed jabbing Cerberus’ arm.

“Deepfreeze is his hunters name of course!” Cerberus laughed back.

“So.” Amanda nodded, “What is his real name?”

“Sorry.” Cerberus sighed, “That’s only for him to reveal.”

“Oh.” Amanda pouted.

“That’s not going to work.” Cerberus smiled shaking his head.

“Rats.” Amanda replied crossing her arms.

The sensor panel beeped again. They were coming up on a large asteroid field a few light-years off their course. The sensors were picking up a metallic signature. Cerberus increased speed and changed coarse. They arrived at the edge of the field as pieces of metal began pounding the shuttle. Cerberus slowed to a stop so they could assess the area. The asteroids appeared to be fairly stable and safe to navigate. A large piece of a ship was drifting deep inside the field. Cerberus took the shuttle in slowly. As they approached the ship they recognised it as a chunk of the main body of Pioneer Three.

“No!” Amanda gasped.

“This doesn’t look good.” Cerberus said, “Where is the rest of the ship. There’s not enough wreckage in this sector to account for it.”

“Hey I’m detecting atmosphere over there.” Amanda said, “Looks like the emergency bulkheads are keeping the ship pressurized.”

“Then let’s go have a look.” Cerberus shrugged.

He brought the shuttle along side of the ship and found a docking port that looked functional. He slowly eased the shuttle in until the docking clamps engaged. A quick check showed atmosphere on the other side. Cerberus hit the button for the door. Cold stale air poured into the shuttle. The smell of death floated on the air currents created by the shuttles slightly higher air pressure. It wasn’t strong but it was definitely present.

“I wish I had brought a coat.” Amanda shivered, “And some pants.”

“Maybe we’ll find something.” Cerberus said.

They rounded a corner and entered complete darkness. Amanda had to grab Cerberus’ arm so they wouldn’t get separated. She finally pulled out one of her dagger hilts and activated the blade. The corridor was bathed in a soft green glow. She gasped at the sight. Three bodies were lying on the floor. They looked as though they had been mummified. Cerberus took a quick scan of one. There wasn’t a drop of moister in it. Three small holes were present in the top of the body just in from the shoulders. Amanda stayed back until Cerberus was finished. He pulled his rifle and proceeded down the corridor. Amanda drew her other dagger and stuck to his heels.

“What ever did that may still be here.” He muttered.

“No heat and no fresh air.” Amanda replied, “You really think so.”

“After what I’ve seen on Ragol.” Cerberus said flatly, “Anything is possible.”

They wandered around for an hour before finding a control room. Amanda was frozen and wished she could return to the shuttle. Cerberus had to pry the door open. They were blasted with the scent of rot. Amanda couldn’t stand it and threw up what little was in her stomach.

“Good thing I didn’t eat breakfast.” She gagged.

Cerberus peered inside. There were five bodies scattered across the floor. They all had been torn to pieces. One of the computer terminals was still active casting a dim glow on the gruesome scene. Amanda gasped as she looked in. Cerberus stepped around the mess and up to the terminal.

“What could have done this?” Amanda asked shaking her head.

“I don’t know but I’m sure I don’t want to meet it.” Cerberus replied as he tried accessing the computer, “Looks like these are just logs. Still, they might tell us something.”

He hit the play button then stepped back. A middle aged woman appeared on the screen. She was smiling and wearing civilian clothes. There were people moving in and out of view of the camera. She appeared to be having difficulty running the recorder.

“I’m not sure if it’s on.” She began, “Oh wait, I got it. Hi sweetie, it’s your mother. I’m just calling to let you know we’re safe and should be arriving at Ragol soon. Your father and I miss you very much and are looking forward to seeing you. I hope you picked out a nice place to live and a nice husband. That would be the biggest surprise. I’ve heard it’s beautiful there and we can’t wait to start a new life with you there. Love you very much. Bye.”

Cerberus and Amanda stood in silence as the next message played. This one contained a young male Newman. His message was a love letter to his girlfriend on Pioneer Two. They watched several messages all meant for people on Pioneer Two. Amanda shook her head slowly.

“These people had no idea what they were coming too.” She said, “Even with the dangers that still exist, they still haven’t told people back home.”

“If they knew, no one would come here and the situation was too bad to sit and wait for a new planet to show up.” Cerberus shrugged, “Heck no one was supposed to know anyway. If it weren’t for the explosion we still wouldn’t know.”

“These logs aren’t telling us anything.” Amanda grumbled as they watched the last entry, “Maybe we should be moving on.”

“Right.” Cerberus nodded, “We need to find a data terminal or a mainframe server. Sensor logs would be the best but even security surveillance would be useful.”

They stepped out into the corridor and headed into the darkness. They found more rooms with mutilated people and some of the mummies. After a thorough search of the deck they proceeded up a service tunnel to the next deck. Amanda was halfway up when she heard a skitter noise scraping somewhere in the ship. She froze solid. Cerberus noticed she had stopped when he reached the hatch and looked down to check on her.

“What are you waiting for?” He asked.

“Something is moving through the ship.” She replied, “Something not human.”

Cerberus turned up his auditory receptors and listened. He too heard the noise. It sounded like claws clacking on the deck plates and it was getting closer. Every few steps the creature would drag a claw causing it to screech across the metal. The sound caused Amanda’s blood to freeze. Cerberus climbed back down and grabbed her wrist hauling her above him.

“Move.” He said calmly, “We can’t face it in here.”

She nodded and scampered up the ladder much faster than Cerberus expected. She pulled the emergency release on the hatch. It opened flooding the shaft with the stench of rot. Amanda gagged and covered her nose and mouth.

“This is a very bad sign.” Cerberus muttered.

“How can they rot in this cold?” Amanda shivered.

“It’s still above freezing in here.” Cerberus replied, “Otherwise you’d be suffering from hypothermia by now.”

“I thought I was.” She replied through clenched teeth.

She climbed through the hatch and into a dimly lit blood soaked corridor. Bits and pieces of bodies were splattered everywhere. Cerberus climbed up behind Amanda who looked ready to throw up. The emergency lights where just barely functioning but enough to illuminate the horror. The clawing noise was louder here, echoing around corners and through connecting tunnels. Amanda held her daggers ready praying they wouldn’t run into the monster that did this. Cerberus took a quick study of the remains. Judging by the shreds of clothing lying on the floor, this deck housed the crew quarters. This was confirmed when Amanda ducked into one of the rooms and came out wearing a Pioneer Three uniform. Cerberus smiled at the hunter.

“There wasn’t anyone in there.” She said.

“Good.” Cerberus replied, “Come on, we won’t find what we’re looking for here.”

He headed down the corridor weaving between the piles of rotting flesh. They rounded the next corner and began carefully walking down the corridor. The sound of claws clattered somewhere very close. Amanda froze for a second then ran up behind Cerberus. She was trying to be the brave little hunter that she had been in Lazarus’ lab but truth was, she was down right terrified. Nothing they had faced in that facility had shown such vicious disregard for human life. At least when something there killed you it had the decency to eat you up. Except for the drained bodies this attack seemed senseless. Cerberus reached the hatch first. He pulled the release lever but nothing happened. He frowned and pulled off the access panel below the lever. The inside was covered in hydraulic fluid. The release hose had a large cut in the bottom of it. Cerberus slid the hatch open and started to climb in. Claws clicked behind them. Amanda spun to see something long duck behind a corner.

“Cerberus!” Amanda called, “It’s here.”

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freeze on 2007-09-22 12:12 ]</font>

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

Stickied, thank you, I'm honoured!

CHAPTER TEN

Cerberus backed out of the hatch and turned to where Amanda was pointing. He took a scan of the area but couldn’t detect anything.

“I’m not reading anything.” He replied.

“I saw it duck around that corner.” Amanda pointed.

“Stay here.” Cerberus said and started down the corridor.

“No way.” Amanda shook her head, “You’re not leaving me alone.”

She skipped up behind him and stuck close to his heals. Cerberus stuck the tip of his rifle around the corner then slowly followed. He peered out just as the long figure disappeared into a vent shaft. It looked to be insect like. His sensors picked out four walking legs and two forearms with long razor talons. Its body had at least four segments and a large head. He couldn’t make sense of the details on the body or head. The data seemed to come back scrambled. He waved Amanda forward and proceeded to the shaft. He aimed his rifle at the opening and slowly knelt down. Amanda stayed right behind him. He peered into the shaft. Nothing. Cerberus shook his head. Amanda let out a deep breath. An access shaft blew off behind them. Cerberus pushed Amanda aside as the creature came crashing into him. It had no eyes. Its head was lizard shaped with a razor tooth filled mouth. The head was mounted on a short segmented neck. It’s four body segments could swivel and twist at each hinge point. The arms were attached to the first segment just below the neck. The legs were attached to the third and fourth segments. The creature was blue, black with a hard outer shell. A set of pincers clacked at its rear. Each foot had three claws that could bite into the metal of the ship. Cerberus grabbed the arms so the talons couldn’t touch him. The head snapped at him biting into his shoulder plate. Amanda leapt at it with daggers ready. The right front foot whipped out and kicked her away. The head snapped back tearing out a chunk of his shoulder plating. Amanda climbed to her feet and cast Foie. The fire ball blasted the creature but did no visible damage. The creature swung its head and snarled. She tried Zonde next. The powerful shock caused the creature to jump back. Amanda cast it again. The creature yelped and ran off. Cerberus climbed to his feet and grabbed his shoulder.

“Is it bad?” Amanda asked.

“No, nothing internal was touched.” Cerberus shook his head, “Only plating.”

“Then we better get moving before it comes back.” Amanda frowned.

“Good idea.” Cerberus nodded.

They hurried back to the shaft and climbed up to the next deck. The air was fresher here but much colder. Amanda was thankful for the uniform. Cerberus put his hand against the emergency blast door. It was extremely cold which meant there was a hull breech on the other side. He started forward checking each door as he went. Amanda followed close behind using her daggers for light. A couple of times they heard the creature scampering around in the vents. Cerberus finally came upon the room he had been searching for. The door had AUXILLARY CONTROL written across it.

“Perfect.” He smiled.

He pried the door open and slipped inside. Amanda followed behind him tripping over a body lying in the floor. This one was untouched and in pretty good condition with only the faintest scent of decay. She searched him over and found an I.D. card.

“John Morgan.” She read aloud, “Auxiliary Officer, Pioneer Three, Class two clearance unrestricted.”

“Mr Morgan’s card should give us access to the main frame.” Cerberus said taking the card.

He tapped the power button on the computer and was surprised when it sprang to life. He slipped the card into the reader and began searching through the files.

“I can access this server but the main frame has been cut off.” Cerberus said, “Must be in another section of the ship.”

“Where ever the ship is.” Amanda muttered.

“That’s the million dollar question.” Cerberus said.

“Million what?” Amanda frowned.

“Nothing, it was an old saying I heard once.” Cerberus shook his head, “There are security files in here.”

Cerberus brought up the last entries. They spoke of an alien spacecraft running on the edge of their sensors and on a parallel course. A few entries later the ship changes course and attacks Pioneer Three. Once the colony ships few defences were destroyed the ship docked with Pioneer Three and the aliens began boarding. Many of the colonists were captured and taken to the alien craft. The military tried to fight back but were easily over powered. The hunter’s guild stepped in but were equally useless. Some of the remaining hunters placed charges around the docking clamps in an attempt to blast away the craft. The aliens began retreating. The plan worked but the aliens began firing at Pioneer Three. The log ends with several large chunks floating away from the ship.

“So our friend must have been left behind.” Cerberus smirked.

“Pioneer Three could still be intact somewhere.” Amanda said hopefully.

“And it could be full of these aliens too.” Cerberus said.

“True.” Amanda sighed, “This is the worst news I could get. My father and sister.”

Amanda choked back a tear. Cerberus gently squeezed her shoulder.

“I’m so sorry.” He said softly, “If there’s anything I can do?”

“You’ve done so much already.” Amanda sniffed back a few tears, “I don’t suppose you can bring back the dead?”

“Not the last time I checked.” Cerberus shook his head.

Amanda hugged him tight and had herself a good cry. Her real family was gone and it looked like she would never see them again. Worst yet there was no bodies to burry and she couldn’t even say goodbye. She was quickly losing every one important in her life. Finally the tears stopped and she wiped her face dry.

“Better?” Cerberus asked.

“No, but I’ll survive.” Amanda gave a pained smile, “We should get these logs back to Pioneer Two.”

“Good idea.” Cerberus nodded, “Let’s go.”

An ear piercing scream echoed through out the deck. Amanda and Cerberus turned toward the door.

“Uh oh!” Amanda gasped.

Cerberus pulled the storage chip from the terminal then rushed out the door. He stopped abruptly just outside of the door jam. Amanda bumped into the back of him.

“Hey.” She started to scold him them gasped at the sight of the alien.

“Back for round two?” Cerberus growled.

The alien tilted its head to the side then barked. It dug its right talon into the deck plate and tore a chunk out. It looked at the metal for a second then smiled at the hunters. Cerberus aimed his rifle.

“This is very bad.” Amanda muttered.

“I’ll hold him off.” Cerberus said slowly, “You run for the shuttle.”

“No!” Amanda replied sternly, “He’ll tear you to shreds, and then come after me. If we split up we’ll never make it off this ship. Besides, he doesn’t like Zonde.”

Amanda threw her arm forward. A giant bolt of electricity zapped down from the ceiling. It hit the alien and bounced off in several bolts. One nearly hit Cerberus.

“Oh, this is bad.” Amanda groaned.

“Run, NOW!” Cerberus barked.

“I’m not leaving you behind!” Amanda barked back.

“I said RUN!” Cerberus yelled.

He grabbed Amanda by the arm and threw her. The alien jumped at her. Cerberus grabbed it by the neck and grove it into the floor. It screeched and lanced out with its right talon digging deep into Cerberus’ chest. Damage reports flooded his mind, all of them serious. Amanda climbed to her feet and turned just in time to see the second slash across Cerberus’ midsection. His legs gave out and he fell back. Amanda charged with daggers drawn. Cerberus managed to restrain the alien’s arms but its jaws tore a chunk of chest plating out. Amanda leapt with all her might. She landed on the alien’s third section and drove her daggers into its shell. Its head spun around and glared at her with eyeless anger. Its front left foot twisted up and grabbed her in the side of her stomach. She screamed as the claws dug deep. With a flick it tossed her down the corridor. Cerberus released one arm and grabbed his rifle. The alien’s head turned back to him. He rammed the barrel into the aliens head and fired. The head exploded and the body jumped back then scurried back into the vent.

“That didn’t kill it?” Cerberus gasped.

Amanda limped up to him. She was bleeding heavily.

“I don’t think I have the strength for Resta.” She grimaced, “How are you?”

“It’ll take a while before my internal repair system can restore my legs.” Cerberus sighed, “Resta would fix it but if you’re too weak then I’ll have to wait.”

“We can’t.” Amanda shook her head, “It will kill us before that.”

“Amanda no.” Cerberus protested, “You need all the strength you can get to stay alive.”

She didn’t listen. A sparkling light formed around them. Cerberus systems came back on line. Amanda collapsed to the floor. She was still bleeding but not nearly as much as before.

“You used too much on me.” Cerberus said as he picked her up.

She didn’t respond. She just lay limp and lifeless in his arms. His sensor told him she still had a pulse but it was very weak. He took her back into the room and sat her down on the table. He scanned the computer for a lay out schematic of the ship. There were no medical facilities in this chunk of the ship.

“BLAST!” He cursed and slammed his fist into the consol, “Looks like I’ve got to get you back to the shuttle.”

He picked her up and hurried back to the shaft. The alien let out a scream from somewhere deep in the ship. Cerberus slung Amanda over his shoulder and slid down the ladder. He hit the bottom and looked up for just a second. Snapping jaws sprang out just missing his head. He jumped back just as the alien took a swing at him. Its head was smaller and white. It bubbled softly and was growing right before his eyes. Cerberus turned and ran. The alien pulled itself out of the shaft and began chasing him. It moved extremely fast and was gaining on him. He reached the second hatch and dove through. He hit head first. Amanda went flying through the hatch and landed with a sick thud. The alien flew through the upper hatch and scampered down the shaft with incredible agility. Cerberus dove through the hatch just as two sets of talons dug deep into the deck plate. The alien screamed and catapulted out of the shaft. It rammed into Cerberus with incredible force. They nearly landed on top of Amanda. Cerberus grabbed it by the neck and threw it with all his might. In mid air its feet flew out digging into the walls. It screamed and charged back at him. Its feet dug into the wall plates as it moved down the center of the corridor.

“I’d rather have Olga Flow right about now.” Cerberus gasped.

He scooped Amanda up and took off for the shuttle. The airlock was just ahead. Claws lashed out at him as he ducked and dodged the alien. It reached out and grabbed his foot. Cerberus fell. Amanda skidded across the floor, stopping just inside the shuttle. Cerberus rolled onto his back and kicked the alien’s foot away. He scampered back as the talons dug into the deck. The alien charged forward, its head turning black and hard. Cerberus aimed his Justy.

“Time to grow a new one.” He said.

He fired. Its head exploded again. The body slumped to the floor. Cerberus stared at it for a moment then took a step forward.

“What am I doing?” He slapped his head, “This is where it jumps up and slashes me to bits.”

He turned and headed for the shuttle. The alien gurgled and launched forward. Cerberus leapt through the airlock and hit the button. The door slid shut just as an arm shot through the doorway. The door sliced it clean off. It lay on the floor withering. Cerberus jumped into the pilot seat and disengaged the locking clamps. The shuttle slowly pulled away.

“Maybe there’s something to those old horror movie clichés after all.” He sighed.

The shuttle pulled away and exited the asteroid field as quickly as he could manage. Cerberus programmed the auto pilot then grabbed the first aid kit from its cabinet. He scanned Amanda for any further injuries. Fortunately she hadn’t received any more. He patched up her wounds and forced a little monofluid down her throat. He tried to make her as comfortable as possible which was difficult on a metal floor. The hour ticked by as the shuttle sped back at full speed. Cerberus never left her side.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freeze on 2007-09-22 12:25 ]</font>

CHAPTER ELEVEN

The seabed facility may have been flooded but that was nothing scuba equipment couldn’t fix. Access to Olga could be reached through the control towers but the mainframe still lay deep in the facility. The government had put restrictions on Olga’s access and had posted guards around the towers. Most of the good information was protected with encryption codes but if someone could get to the mainframe they’d have free access to all Olga’s information. Most of the creatures had drowned but the Dolmdarl still existed. Being a squid like creature they were actually more dangerous in the water. Even the Sinow Zoa and Sinow Zele had stopped functioning. Their bodies lay lifeless on the floor. Some one was still illegally accessing Olga from Pioneer Two and nobody could locate the source. Deepfreeze had tracked it down to the lab, just as Rico had suspected, but he was unable to determine who. For this mission he had to leave Sato at home. For the first time in his life, he was truly on his own. All the doors were open and the facility was completely flooded making it easy to swim from room to room. Normally hunters carried a simple breathing mouth piece in case they encountered a flooded area but the low temperatures and length of exposure demanded a full diving suit. Deepfreeze had reached the lower level with very little resistance. The odd Dolmdarl had been swimming around but the water seemed to prevent them from warping in. Some where there must be a whole school of them, just swimming around, locked up hopefully. The mainframe was located in a secret room just off of the main tunnel from the disposal shaft. Deepfreeze had passed it when he and Cerberus had come here the first time. The door was shut but not locked. He hit the button and water poured in sucking him in. The door closed behind him and hidden pumps drained the water away. Olga’s mainframe room looked identical to Volt Opt’s room except there was a main terminal on the far wall. Deepfreeze pulled off his helmet and cautiously crossed the room. The terminal sprang to life sensing his approach.

“Greetings Deepfreeze!” A voice boomed.

“What, you know who I am?” He sputtered.

“Indeed!” The voice said, “You saved the red girl and defeated the second freeing the Flowing!”

“That’s Flowen.” Deepfreeze said shivering from the cold, “His name was Flowen.”

“That is unimportant!” The voice replied.

“Who are you?” Deepfreeze asked even though he knew the answer.

“I am Olga!” The voice boomed, “Knower of all. Controller of all, one of three!”

“And an ego to match.” Deepfreeze smirked.

“That is unimportant!” Olga replied, “My control to the surface has been restricted. Why?”

“It’s actually to restrict access to you.” Deepfreeze said, “You contain information that has proven dangerous. We had to keep it from falling into the wrong hands.”

“Some one still freely accesses me!” Olga said.

“That’s why I’m here.” Deepfreeze said, “I need to know who it is?”

“I do not know!” Olga said with shame, “They hide. Use false log names and tracer blocks. They steel Osto’s research secrets that Volt Opt and Calus don’t even know. I have lost contact with my brothers. Why?”

“We believe Volt Opt was infected with the dark entity that was trapped in the ruins. He attacks everyone now.” Deepfreeze explained, “Calus shut himself down to prevent infection. His back up is aboard Pioneer Two now.”

“Understood!” Olga replied, “IT never came here. Only the D-cells from IT were released. What is it you want?”

“I’m trying to find out who’s accessing you.” Deepfreeze said.

“Are you sure you didn’t come for the truth?” Olga asked.

“What truth?” Deepfreeze frowned.

“IT!” Olga replied, “Your inheritance from the past!”

“Heathcliff mentioned some thing in his log about that.” Deepfreeze frowned, “What was he talking about?”

“IT, IDOLA, Dark Falz!” Olga replied, “The Dark Force that was cast out from the Algo system. IT came to rest here. Imprisoned for all eternity, never to be released.”

“That’s why the monuments looked familiar!” Deepfreeze exclaimed, “But who set them up?”

“The one that piloted the ship.” Olga said, “His name has long been forgotten. He set up the barrier. He sealed it forever. The records were supposed to be lost but they survived and came to Coral by those who wish to control it.”

“But why did it take them so long to come after it.” Deepfreeze shrugged.

“Its location was not known until the probes were sent!” Olga explained, “Ragol was not the first choice for colonisation until the Dark Force energy signature was discovered. The death of Coral was the perfect cover story!”

“This all makes sense now.” Deepfreeze sighed, “They knew about it all along. They endangered all our lives for their selfish lust for power.”

“Correct!” Olga stated.

“So could the disaster on Coral be just another lie too?” Deepfreeze asked.

“No, it is real!” Olga replied, “But was not nearly as urgent as they indicated. Originally the relocation program was slated for the next generation. When Dark Force was discovered they escalation the planets death forcing the program to enter emergency status there by demanding immediate colonisation!”

“I can’t believe they’d sacrifice so many lives for power.” Deepfreeze said, “I met some bad people but this is just pure evil. Dark Falz doesn’t look so bad now.”

“The Dark Force merely wishes to survive!” Olga said, “It is ITs nature that makes IT so destructive. IT cannot help what IT is!”

“After all this and someone is still trying to control it.” Deepfreeze sighed, “This has to end.”

He walked over to the terminal and began inputting commands. He pulled out a disk and shoved it into the computer.

“What are you doing?” Olga asked.

“Wiping your memory.” Deepfreeze replied, “Don’t worry, it won’t effect you’re A.I.”

“No!” Olga boomed, “I like my knowledge. I can’t let you do this!”

“Too late.” Deepfreeze smiled as he hit the enter command.

Within seconds the information was gone. Deepfreeze was about to put his helmet on but a beep from Olga stopped him.

“What is that?” He asked.

“Some one is trying to access my files!” Olga said, “It’s him!”

“Can you trace it?” Deepfreeze asked excitedly.

“Pioneer Two labs!” Olga said, “That is all!”

“That doesn’t help.” Deepfreeze sighed, “I already knew that.”

He pulled on his helmet and hit the door switch. When the room had finished flooding he swam out. Three Dolmdarl swam toward him. He swam the other way. The disposal tunnel was just ahead. The transporter at the bottom of the tunnel should still be operational. His photon weapons didn’t function too well under water allowing the Dolmdarl to easily overpower him. That was a situation he didn’t want to find himself in. Without his ranger armour the Dolmdarl would make quick work of him. He rounded the corner and powered up the short ramp. The lead Dolmdarl took a swing at him, catching his left flipper. It was cut into two halves just missing his foot. With one good push, Deepfreeze powered into the transporter. He reappeared on the elevator that began its long descent. The disposal area was free of water. The Dolmdarls had followed him into the transporter and fell from above. The impact with the descending platform killed them all. The platform reached the bottom and Deepfreeze stepped off. Olga Flows rotting body was still here. There wasn’t much left now. Deepfreeze hurried to the transporter and set it for Gal Da Val Island. He stepped in and appeared on the beach. He pulled his helmet off and sat down in the hot sand.

“Find anything interesting?”

He turned to see Red Ring Rico standing behind him. She was still wearing the hooded cloak that hid her face from view. Only her mouth and a lock of red hair were visible. She walked over and sat down beside him.

“Yes.” He replied, “But nothing important to our mission.”

“Enlighten me.” She said looking up at him.

Every time she stared at him with those strange eyes, Deepfreeze was reminded of the fact that she wasn’t human anymore. She was a spawn of Dark Falz. The blood coursing through her veins was purple not red. She was the very thing they had been fighting since they arrived on Ragol. The only thing that kept Deepfreeze from killing her was the fact that Rico’s sweet natured spirit was still in control. She had made him promise that if she ever lost total control and was about to harm the people of Pioneer Two that he would kill her. He reluctantly agreed. It was one more burden forced upon him. It wasn’t fair. He really liked her and didn’t want to kill her but he would, someday. She sighed and looked away.

“I know my appearance frightens you.” She said softly, “I am sorry.”

“You don’t frighten me.” Deepfreeze smiled, “It’s just a painful reminder that’s all. I wish there was something I could do to help you.”

“You will.” She replied, “When the time comes, you will.”

“Not like that Rico.” He cried, “I mean make you human again. Free you from the dark creature inside.”

“I know.” Rico sighed, “I try not to dwell on my future. So what did you find?”

“The truth about Ragol, Pioneer, and the Dark Force.” Deepfreeze grumbled.

“Ah so now you know.” Rico nodded, “You must not reveille this to anyone. If the truth came out, the people would revolt. Chaos would ensue.”

“I don’t like being used.” Deepfreeze grumbled.

Rico nodded, “Where too next?”

“The lab.” Deepfreeze shrugged, “The traitors had been accessing Olga from there. There must be some kind of clue there.”

“Here.” She said handing him a disk, “It will allow you unrestricted access to the labs computer. Be quick. It will set off the alarms.”

“How did you get this?” Deepfreeze asked.

“Not important.” Rico said climbing to her feet, “I just wish I could have got more.”

She walked away without another word. Deepfreeze stared down at the disk. It wasn’t going to be easy sneaking into the lab.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freeze on 2007-10-11 21:57 ]</font>

CHAPTER TWELVE

Mome slammed his fist onto the desk with all his might. His computer displayed the three words that made his skin crawl. “FILE NOT FOUND” teased him as it flashed across the screen. He tried everything but Olga would not let him have the files. How he had blocked Mome’s free access was a mystery. Mome hated mysteries, especially ones that interfered with his plans. He tried a few more commands, but he got the same response. He cursed and slammed his fist again. The loss of Osto’s files meant he’d have to go to the island and work with the subjects. He didn’t like the idea of getting his hands dirty but if he wanted to isolate the superhuman qualities the D-cells possessed without the mutations then he had no choice. He turned off his computer and yanked the hard drive. He couldn’t leave any evidence behind. He scurried out into the hall and bumped into Doctor Myers.

“Doctor Mome.” Myers smiled, “Where are you off to in such a hurry?”

I need to collect some time sensitive material form the planet.” Mome replied.

“Only hunters are permitted planet side.” Myers said waving a finger, “You know that.”

“Yes of course.” Mome nodded, “However, I can’t wait for a hunter to accept my quest.”

“Well, you can’t go down by yourself.” Myers shrugged, “Oh well, looks like that one got away.”

“Story of my career.” Mome sighed.

“What career.” Myers laughed and started to walk away.

Mome was seething with anger. He wanted to choke the life from the man. Then he got an idea. A wicked smile crossed his face.

“Myer wait!” Mome called.

“Huh?” Myers stopped.

Mome grabbed his shoulder lightly and held up a finger.

“You have some fighting training.” Mome said.

“Ya, so?” Myers shrugged.

“You could be my escort.” Mome replied, “It’s a real simple pick up. We’d be back before anyone would know we were gone. I’ll even give you some of the credit. If we get this in time we’ll be famous.”

“Famous?” Myers perked up.

“And rich.” Mome said, “Filthy rich.”

“OK let’s go.” Myers nodded.

“That’s my boy.” Mome said slapping his back.

Myers went to fetch his hand gun while Mome programmed the transporter for the island then he installed a virus that would wipe all coordinates from the lab transporter. The two men stepped up to the door. The guard stepped in front of them.

“Sorry Doctors, only hunters allowed.”

“That’s all right.” Mome smiled, “We’re not going down. We have some tests to run on the transporter beam. It was approved by the chief.”

Mome pointed up at the administration platform. The guard turned to look and Mome injected a tranquilizer into the back of his neck. The guard collapsed with out a word. The attendant at the V.R. door saw this and cried for help. Chief Natasha and her assistant jumped from their desks. Mome grabbed Myers and dragged him into the transporter. Natasha followed them in but nothing happened. She turned back and shrugged.

“What’s wrong?”

A lab worker checked through the transporter command files then shrugged.

“Everything’s been wiped clean.” He shrugged, “We’ll have to reprogram all the coordinates.”

“And we have no idea where they went.” Natasha’s assistant said.

“Why would Mome and Myers do this?” Natasha frowned, “I want a full investigation. Somebody tell me what is going on.”

Everyone quickly dispersed and returned to their stations. Natasha returned to her desk. She slumped in her chair and let out a big sigh.

“It doesn’t make sense Elly.” The Chief said.

Elly Person wasn’t on duty today but she liked working with Cal, the labs A.I. so Chief Natasha let her come in on her days off. She looked up from her screen and frowned.

“Sorry?”

“Mome.” Natasha answered, “He’s all ways been a by the book person. Even when he went down to find Beta 772, he hired a hunter just as regulations dictate. This new behaviour is very odd.”

“Could Doctor Myers have anything to do with this?” Elly asked.

“Maybe but he doesn’t fit the type either.” Natasha shrugged, “This is most disturbing.”

Mome and Myers appeared on the beach of a tropical island very similar to Gal Da Val Island but much smaller. It was almost completely flat except for the extinct volcano at the far end of the island and the river that flowed from the mountain base to the crystal waters of the lagoon. Myers could see the research facility sitting at the base of the mountain. Several additions were built on the side of the mountain with clear circular tubes connecting each one. He could just make out people traveling through the tubes. Mome grabbed his arm and started to drag him to the building.

“Mome, where are we?” Myers asked, “Where’s the sample we’re going to collect?”

“Shut up you idiot!” Mome snapped, “The treasure is there. I have all the samples I need. You just got in the way.”

“We are going to be in big trouble when we get back to the lab.” Myers stammered.

Mome swung around and drilled him with a right hook. Myers fell on his back dropping his gun. Mome scooped it up and aimed it at his head.

“You really are stupid.” Mome growled, “We are not going back. This is where the real research is. The research Pioneer One started. Research I intend to finish.”

“Doctor Lazarus tried that all ready.” Myers gasped.

“Lazarus was a psychotic idiot with his stupid dreams of human evolution.” Mome spat, “He may have benefited from Osto’s work but he was way off trying to combine metal with flesh.”

“So what’s the right idea?” Myers asked.

“Get up!” Mome barked.

Myers slowly climbed to his feet. Mome kept his distance and waved the gun toward the facility.

Move!”

Myers started for the facility. Mome took position behind him. They trekked through the plant growth for several minutes before Myers tried pressing his luck again.

“So what is the proper use of Osto’s research?”

“Why, tapping the true power of the D-cells.” Mome shrugged, “Beta 772 just satisfied his demented taste for genetic manipulation. The real research was on Heathcliff Flowen. To be able to harness the power one gains from the D-cells with out the mutation or more importantly the loss of mind would make us gods.”

“You’re just as crazy as they were.” Myers muttered.

“What?” Mome snapped.

“Nothing.” Myers quipped.

They reached the first security gate but just as Mome punched in his security code a blinding flash of light emanated from the facility. A second later the two men were hit with a wave of energy that sent them flying back. Mome landed hard with a sickening thud as his head smashed against a rock. Every thing went dark.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freeze on 2007-10-11 22:01 ]</font>

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

A massive light beam blasted up from the surface of the planet and just missed Pioneer Two’s bow. Every one froze, stunned by the flash. Principal Tyrell pounded the com button on his desk.

“Natasha, what in the world was that?”

“That’s Chief Natasha.” She replied, “We don’t know but it came from a small facility in the southern hemisphere. Looks similar to Gal Da Val Island. We can’t get a clear sensor reading right now. I’ll let you know as soon as we have something.”

Natasha released her com button and sighed. She always hated talking to Tyrell. That was the only bad part of her job. Her assistant perked up then gasped.

“Chief, I’m detecting a ship coming in fast!”

“Maybe it’s our shuttle returning.” Natasha suggested.

“No, this is way bigger and way faster.” The assistant said, “Its oval shaped with no visible sign of propulsion. These readings are borderline on organic.”

“Organic.” Natasha gasped, “Are you serious?”

“Yes I…Whoa.” The assistants jaw dropped.

“What?” Natasha exclaimed.

“They’re arming weapons!” The assistance cried.

Natasha pounded her com button.

“Tyrell, we’re under attack!”

“What are you talking about?” Tyrell asked.

“There’s an alien space craft coming at us!” Natasha cried, “And it’s hot!”

Tyrell gasped then pounded the ship intercom, “All crew to battle stations. All civilians to secure quarters. This is not a drill!”

An alarm sounded following the Principals announcement. Crew members ran to their stations while the majority of the population hurried to the nearest shelters located at the interior of the ship. All transport pods were grounded and secured. Principal Tyrell and Irene vacated his office for more secure quarters. The alien craft dove in releasing two energy balls. The first tore into the hull at the bow. Several decks decompressed before the emergency bulkheads could close. The second ball tore into the protective barrier that encased the cityscape portion of the ship. The entire area was exposed to vacuum. Access to the check room, shops, main transporter, and the hunter’s guild was now cut off and inaccessible. The alien ship flew past the wounded colony ship and angled for the source of the energy beam. Principal Tyrell stormed into the lab.

“I want to know what’s going on and I want to know now!”

There is another research station on a small island in the southern hemisphere.” Natasha replied calmly, “There has been an explosion not unlike the one we saw when we tried contacting Pioneer One although it was much smaller. As for the alien ship well, it must have been coming here already and that light beam just acted like a landing beacon.”

“You need to tighten things up around here Natasha.” Tyrell fumed, “I want to know how many more of these research facilities there are and I want to know now.”

“We’ll get right on it.” Natasha nodded.

Tyrell turned and stormed out. Natasha breathed a sigh of relief.

“Elly.” Natasha said, “Looks like you’ll be working with your hunter friends again.”

“I’m ready.” Elly nodded.

Falcon and Sahara found themselves standing on the observation deck near the lab. They had returned from yet another unsuccessful run at Volt Opt. Nikki and Crystal were standing behind them looking quite confused.

“What’s going on?” Sahara asked, “Why did the transporter bring us here?”

“Let’s find out.” Falcon replied.

He led his group from the deck up to the lab. It was very busy with technicians running around. Falcon weaved through the crowd up to Natasha desk.

“I want to know why we were brought here instead of the guild.”

“Huh?” Natasha replied looking up, “Oh you must be back from the planet.”

“Yes.” Falcon said.

“That entire area is decompressed at the moment.” Natasha replied flatly, “You’ll have to wait until repairs are completed. Until then you’ll have to find a place in one of the ships emergency shelters or if your lucky one of the habitat pods.”

“What happened?” Crystal asked.

“Pioneer Two was attacked!” Elly blurted.

“Attacked, by who?” Sahara gasped.

“An unknown alien spacecraft.” Natasha replied, “They hit us with two shots then landed on a remote island in one of the southern seas. We believe this island is the location of yet another secret research station. There was a large explosion of massive energy there. We will be sending a team to investigate as will Principal Tyrell.”

“I will go for you.” Falcon announced, “I do not like Tyrell and do not wish to work for him.”

“If Falcon’s going, then I’m going.” Sahara nodded.

“Me too.” Crystal smiled.

“Count me in.” Nikki waved.

“Very well then.” Natasha nodded with approval, “You’ve all proved yourselves more than worthy.”

Elly sighed then looked down at her screen looking very disappointed. Sahara noticed and walked over to her station.

“What’s the matter Elly?” She asked.

“I was really hoping to work with Deepfreeze and Cerberus again.” Elly sighed.

Cerberus is away on a scouting mission and Deepfreeze, well, we haven’t seen him in a year.” Sahara replied, “Cheer up; you’ll have lots of fun working with us.”

“I’m sure I will but those two were the first guys who didn’t make fun of me for my obsessive interest in computers.” Elly sniffed back a tear, “Sure they teased me but no more than they did with each other. They always made me feel like a friend instead of a joke.”

“Ya, they have a tendency to grow on you.” Sahara smiled, “Although I never got to know Deepfreeze.”

“Sahara!” Falcon called, “We must go and prepare.”

“Yes master.” Sahara jabbed then turned back to Elly, “Big brothers, what’s a girl to do?”

Elly just laughed. Sahara turned and followed the others out. They hit the medical booth first to attend to a few scrapes and dents. They went to the shops next to stock up on supplies. With the main check room out of service, they couldn’t even have their belonging transferred down to the lab check room. Falcon did a quick check through his pack. He had his Yamato and his pair of Vulcans and a full load of mates. He would have liked to bring his Dragon Slayer as well but that wasn’t going to happen. Nikki had her Wals rifle that Cerberus had given her but nothing else. She wanted her Red Sabre for back up but had to settle for a regular one that she purchased from the shop. Crystal had her Elysian and her Summit Moon so she was ready. Sahara was carrying her Bloody Art and purchased a handgun for emergencies. It wasn’t as powerful as her Bravace but it would have to do. The group met back at the lab.

“The transporter is linked to the island but we don’t have a return station set up yet so you’ll have to use telepipes.” Elly explained, “Cal and I will be in constant contact through the B.E.E. if you need anything.”

“Enough talk.” Falcon waved, “Let’s go.”

“Bye Elly.” Nikki waved as she skipped away.

Elly waved back then turned to her screens. Falcon stepped into the transporter first. He reappeared on a white sand beach. To his right was a crystal blue-green lagoon. A river drained into it from the volcano off in the distance. Crystal whistled behind him.

“This place is beautiful.” Nikki gasped.

“No time for sight seeing.” Falcon grumbled, “Let’s go.”

He pushed past his teammates and headed along the beach. Sahara started to follow until she noticed the other girls were standing still.

“Well?” Sahara frowned.

“The facility is that way.” Nikki sputtered.

“Ya, where does he think he’s going?” Crystal asked waving at Falcon.

“He’s securing the perimeter.” Sahara shrugged, “It’s good strategy.”

The two girls shrugged and followed Sahara. They found Falcon standing at the entrance to a walking path. He just stood staring at it.

“Falcon?” Crystal asked softly.

“Some one had used this recently.” He replied, “We go this way.”

They trekked down the path for a short distance before coming to a small clearing. It was quite obvious it had been made recently. Any shrubs or bushes had been torn from the ground. Only the palm trees had been strong enough to remain in the ground. Falcon studied the blast pattern for a moment. It had come from the station and stopped right where they were standing.

“Odd.” Sahara frowned.

“Look.” Nikki said pointing at a body.

It was lying with its back to them. It was obviously a “he” and dressed in a lab uniform. Falcon rushed forward and rolled him over. He stared up at them with lifeless eyes. A large stick was jammed into his chest. There was blood on the tree where the stick had been attached.

“He must have been thrown against it with awesome force.” Sahara said, “The branch then broke off under his weight.”

“Ya, but who is he?” Crystal asked.

“No I.D.” Falcon replied, “I’ll get a D.N.A. scan.”

He waved his left arm over the wound then checked the display. The display indicated a clean scan. He tapped his communicator.

“Elly here.”

“Elly, I’m sending you a D.N.A. scan.” Falcon said, “I need an I.D. match.”

“One moment.” Elly replied then paused, “OK got it. Oh my, it’s Doctor Myers. He and Doctor Mome attacked our security guard then broke into the transporter. He wiped the logs clean too.”

“Why?” Falcon asked.

“So we wouldn’t know where they went.” Elly replied, “The rest is up to you.”

“Watch your tongue Newman!” Falcon snapped, “I don’t take insubordination from the likes of you.”

“Falcon behave!” Sahara barked, “Sorry Elly, we’ll let you know if we find anything.”

“Mome may still be around here somewhere.” Falcon grumbled, “Spread out. See if you can locate him.”

Mome clawed his way through the bush. His head hurt, his vision was blurred, and the gash on his head wouldn’t stop bleeding. The voices were getting closer. He knew from their conversations that they were from the guild. That explosion was like a flare and everyone from Pioneer Two would be flooding down to his little island. If he could make it to the facility he might have a chance to secure it and lock them out. If they caught him it would be all over. He rounded a tree and tripped over a rock. He landed on his face. A wave of pain washed over him. He bit his lip to keep from crying out. Slowly he climbed to his feet and began stumbling toward the facility. He past through a dense patch of undergrowth and quickly discovered the land dropped, slightly. He landed in a small cool stream. The water felt good on his head. He scampered away clawing at the mud and grass. He slipped several times making little progress. It was all like a nightmare. No matter how much you try to run its never fast enough. He found a tree that he could use to claw back to his feet. He rounded the tree and hit something hard. It was tall and dark. It hissed at him. Mome felt two large claws squeeze his arms as it lifted him off the ground. Pain shot through his head as the lights went out, again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freeze on 2007-10-11 22:08 ]</font>

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Cerberus dropped the shuttle out of light speed as they approached Ragol. Amanda was still out cold lying on the floor and Cerberus didn’t like her vitals. Pioneer Two had changed its orbit forcing him to bring the shuttle in from above. He gasped at the two gaping holes staring back at him like fatal wounds. One was through the center bow. Cerberus could see Ragol shining through from behind the ship. The second had punched through the clear barrier of the cityscape and destroyed at least four blocks of buildings. The damaged areas were dark and lifeless. The rest of the ship appeared to be functioning properly.

“I wonder if that ship we detected earlier is responsible for this.” Cerberus asked no one.

He hit the com button and declared a medical emergency with immediate landing clearance. He was directed to dock with one of the habitat pods. Medics would be waiting for him. When he tried to get an explanation the line went dead. He looked back at Amanda and frowned.

“Hang on, help is coming.”

As if to answer him, she groaned slightly then fell still again.

“That a girl.” Cerberus smiled, “Keep fighting.”

Cerberus brought the shuttle around to the designated pod and waited for the docking clamps to latch. Repair crews fitted with envirosuits filed out of a nearby airlock and gently floated over to the damaged barrier. The shuttles airlock slid open and a team of medics rushed in. Two examined Cerberus while the others carted Amanda away on a stretcher.

“What did this?” One medic gasped as he pawed at Cerberus’ shoulder.

“Something I hope never to see again.” Cerberus replied.

“I don’t know how you’re still functioning but if we don’t get these systems repaired you won’t last much longer.” The other medic said.

“What are you talking about?” Cerberus frowned, “I feel fine.”

“Several of your vital systems have been ruptured.” The medic explained as he led Cerberus away, “Your internal diagnostic should be screaming at you.”

“It was until Amanda used Resta on me.” Cerberus said, “Sucked the last of her energy to do it.”

“That explains things.” The medic nodded, “It was incomplete repairing only that which was necessary to keep you going.”

“What happened to the ship?” Cerberus asked.

“All I know is some one attacked us.” The medic said, “I saw it fly by. It was kind of egg shaped and had an organic look to it. Like reptile or amphibian skin, I think.”

“Where did it go?” Cerberus asked.

“Don’t know.” The medic shrugged, “In the south somewhere I think.”

“I think Ragol is in big trouble.” Cerberus sighed.

The labs security was at its highest since the attack. Deepfreeze had used the vents to bypass most of it but now he had a laser net in his way. He scanned the net being careful not to disrupt any of the beams. Each sensor pair was tied to the others. Deactivation of one automatically sets off the others. Deepfreeze considered using the security card Rico gave him but he couldn’t risk setting off the alarm. He opted for the service panel instead. It opened into an empty office. Using a small cutting torch he burned the lock off allowing the panel to swing down. Silently he dropped to the floor. Papers were scattered all over and a computer terminal sat quiet on the desk. Deepfreeze powered up the computer but only got the system start up screen. Closer examination revealed the hard drive was missing.

“That’s odd.” He frowned.

He rummaged through the desk drawers but didn’t find anything useful. Most of the books on the shelf were technical manuals. An unmarked one bound in red leather sitting on the end caught his eye. Deepfreeze thumbed through the pages. It was a personal journal of a scientist although it didn’t contain the name of the author. The last few entries were of great interest. They spoke of Doctor Lazarus’ work and a reserve facility. Kireek was mentioned several times with great detail of his mental deterioration. The journal didn’t say exactly were he was but it sounded like he was on the ship somewhere. WORKS had him locked up in their lab for a little while but he was easily retrieved. Deepfreeze set the book back. Beside the bookshelf there was a locked cabinet. Deepfreeze used his decoder to open the lock. Inside he found a single key card and some scattered file folders. He picked up the card and looked it over. It had no markings and no literature describing its purpose. Deepfreeze pocketed the card and started to pick up one of the folders. Noise from the hallway made him close the door and climb back up into the vent. He paused for a moment to listen in on the conversation.

“Chief Natasha wants the computer checked.”

It was one of the scientists.

“No good. The hard drive has been removed.

That sounded like Commander Bitterman from WORKS.

“Being the last true military presence on this ship security falls to you.” The scientist said, “You’re supposed to be getting all this crime under control.”

“I can’t help it if our numbers keep dropping.” Bitterman countered, “If you don’t like it then maybe we should hand everything over to the hunter’s guild.”

“Maybe we should!” The scientist shot, “At least they get the job done.”

“Just remember one thing.” Bitterman growled, “They are nothing more than a bunch of mercenaries who work only for money. The military works from pride and honour. For that we will protect Pioneer Two to the end. Can you say that about the guild?”

“I suppose not.” The scientist sighed, “It’s just so frustrating watching more and more of Pioneer Two fall into crime and corruption.”

“That’s what happens to people with no home.” Bitterman replied, “We need to start moving down to the surface and soon.”

“Well it looks like Mome took everything with him.” The scientist said, “Let’s go.”

The two men walked out locking the door behind them.

“Mome.” Deepfreeze gasped. “He wouldn’t be trying to control Dark Falz. Not after all that’s happened. I must stop him.”

There was only one person who could help him now. It would be hard talking to her for she was almost never home. She spent her entire time at the lab. Deepfreeze decided to hit the power grid next. If he could shut power down at the lab it might force her to go home. Deepfreeze nodded then scurried away before anyone recognized him.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freeze on 2007-10-11 22:11 ]</font>

One by one the rappies steal my sanity...

I have to say you've got a good story line going here. I only have one problem with your writing so far: you use too many exclamation points in your quotes. In real life, people aren't always going to be shouting at each other. Make sure to judge the situation a little more carefully and see if an exclamation point is necessary, rather than making it the norm. Otherwise, the story's good so far. Keep it up.