Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure how that got passed me and my proof reader but I know I didn't use that many when I typed it up orginally. I have a feeling my grammer check did that when it was acting up. I thought I had fixed most of the mistakes but obviously missed the punctuation. Hopefuly I've caught most of them now. Now on with the next chapter.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Black Paper’s rescue party appeared on a sand beach beside an extinct volcano. The entrance to the facility was on the other side. Dirge and Demoneye started into the jungle not waiting for the others. Two RAmars followed them in. One was tall and fat dressed in purple. His name was Devlin. Harris was short and extremely skinny dressed in orange. Striker brought up the rear with Tessa clinging to his arm. Tessa now wore a HUnewearl uniform that Striker had stolen from a purple haired Newman while she had been in the shower. It was black and a little tight but much better than the animal skins she had been wearing. The high heel boots were giving her a little trouble too. The terrain forced them to move away from the mountain before they could head back to the facility. They pushed through a thick patch and came upon a very strange looking space craft. It was huge, egg shaped, with an organic looking hull that provided excellent camouflage. Strange looking roots stretched from the ship and into the ground. The surrounding vegetation was twisted and mutated. Dirge and Demoneye slowly approached the craft. The strange vegetation crunched under their feet. The ship quivered. The androids froze.

“What do you think?” Demoneye asked quietly.

“Invaders!” Dirge growled, “This is our planet. We were here first. DIE!”

Dirge charged in swinging his sabre. The sabre sliced off some of the roots then cut into the hull. Orange liquid sprayed from the cuts. The ship began vibrating and emanating a high pitched squeal.

“This is a bad idea!” Striker yelled, “We should get out of here!”

“I agree.” Devlin nodded.

“Dirge, let’s go!” Demoneye called.

Dirge ignored them and continued slashing at the ship.

“Leave him!” Harris shouted.

Striker started backing up slowly. The two RAmars slowly followed. A blood chilling scream echoed from deep in the jungle. Everyone froze for a second.

“Times up.” Striker muttered, “Let’s go.”

He took off a full speed with Tessa right beside him. The two rangers followed close behind.

“Dirge come on!” Demoneye cried.

Dirge either didn’t hear him or didn’t want to hear him. He continued slashing at the ship. A strange looking insect like creature appeared on the top of the ship. It let out a terrible scream as it flexed its long talons. Demoneye slowly backed up and took aim with his rifle. Dirge stopped his attack and looked up.

“This is our planet!” He cried, “Leave now or face my wrath!”

“Don’t provoke it!” Demoneye yelled.

The creature looked at Demoneye then back at Dirge. It seemed to be studying them. It cocked its head as if it were listening for something then gave a sharp bark and dropped on Dirge. Demoneye fired but missed. The creature quickly tore Dirge to pieces. Demoneye fired again. The shot bounced off. The creature ignored the shot as it chewed on Dirges internal components. Demoneye slowly backed away and bolted in the direction the others had gone. An inhuman scream echoed through the jungle followed by another and then another. What ever these things were they were following him. He counted at least five different screams but that didn’t mean there weren’t more. He had to stop at the river bank. The others had just reached the other side.

“Demoneye, catch!” Striker called as he swung a vine at him.

Demoneye caught it and didn’t hesitate to swing across. No sooner had he left when three of the creatures ran out of the jungle. Demoneye landed on the bank with a thud. The creatures cried as their prey escaped into the jungle. They didn’t stop until they reached the front door of the facility.

“What are those things?” Tessa panted.

“Aliens.” Demoneye replied, “One of those things tore Dirge to pieces without even blinking.”

“That’s assuming they can blink.” Striker breathed heavily.

“They don’t have eyes.” Demoneye growled, “It was a figure of speech.”

“Sorry, I haven’t seen them yet!” Striker snapped.

A scream emanated from the jungle very close to them. Devlin pulled the door open and ducked inside. Harris slid through the door next.

“Sounds like they’re hunting us.” Striker muttered.

“We must secure this door.” Demoneye said as he closed it behind them.

“You’re the strongest.” Striker said, “You hold the door while Tessa and I look for a barricade.”

“Agreed.” Demoneye nodded, “But be swift.”

“This place is awfully quiet.” Tessa said, “Where are all the researchers?”

“Hey, where’d those rangers get too?” Striker frowned.

“Never mind!” Demoneye shot, “Find something for a barricade!”

“Right.” Striker nodded, “Come on Tessa.”

Striker headed left down the hallway. It was fairly sterile; finished in a light mat grey. The ceiling was arched with light fixtures hanging from it. Small rectangular windows at the top of the walls allowed some natural light to enter. A slight breeze from the ventilation system gave them some relief from the tropical heat. The hallway angled right and continued into the volcano interior. Directly in front of them was a set of large double doors. Striker pulled the door open and peered inside. Three jeep like vehicles were parked side by side. The bay was large and rectangular. Repair equipment and tools lined the walls. The lights were out. A little light came through the small windows giving everything a twilight feel. Tessa followed him over to the middle vehicle. She climbed into the passenger seat while Striker checked the vehicle over.

“This looks perfect.” He said climbing into the driver seat.

Something skittered across the ceiling. The human’s heads bolted up. The ceilings were dark and cluttered with pipes and support braces. They couldn’t see anything but they could hear it moving around. Tessa shook Strikers sleeve.

“Let’s go now.” She quivered.

“Good idea.” Striker nodded.

He hit the start button and the engine roared to life. The indicators all lit up green. Striker put the shifter into drive and pushed the pedal down. The vehicle lurched forward. He immediately took his foot off and it jerked to a stop. Tessa frowned at him. He blushed with a shrug. With a loud bang, the alien landed on the hood. Tessa let out a scream. Striker slammed the shifter into reverse and stomped the pedal to the floor. The vehicle jumped back. The alien slipped off. Striker put the gear in drive and launched the vehicle forward. The alien climbed to its feet just as the vehicle slammed into it. It sliced the alien apart between the two sets of legs. The vehicle slammed through the doors and headed down the hall. Using its forearms as legs the alien pursued them with incredible speed.

“Striker, it’s following us!” Tessa cried.

“So much for barricading the door.” Striker groaned, “We’ll pick up Demoneye and get out of here.”

“I thought you wanted him dead?” Tessa frowned.

“Yes, but I want him.” Striker growled, “He needs to know what he did. I want him to
    look me in the eye and know exactly who it is that has brought him to justice. They got Dirge, Demoneye is mine!”

He squealed to a stop at the front door. It was wide open with no sign of Demoneye. Striker slammed his fist down.

“He was mine!” He yelled.

“Hey, there’s no remains.” Tessa said, “Maybe he got away?”

“Let’s hope so.” Striker muttered.

The alien screamed as it approached. Striker sped away with a squeal of the tires. The hallway ended at a transport tube that would take them to a higher level. Tessa was out first. She pounded the door button. Striker followed her in. The alien slammed into the closing door and rammed the door open. Striker and Tessa ran as fast as they could. The alien pursued them but was beginning to slow. Striker pulled Tessa through the door with such force that she fell flat on her face. Striker pounded the lock button. The alien stumbled for the door managing to get an arm through. The door crunched down on the arm snapping if off just below the elbow. The alien let out one last scream and collapsed. Striker peered through the small window in the door. The alien lay still. A trail of orange liquid ran all the way back to the garage. Striker turned and helped Tessa to her feet.

“Sorry.” He said, “I didn’t mean to throw you with such force.”

“You probably saved my life.” Tessa said rubbing her sore knees, “Don’t do it again.”

Striker smiled and turned to examine their surroundings. It was a small circular lab that looked very much like the lab in the artic. The beds were all empty but all the equipment was still running. Some of the needles and probes had fresh blood on them.

“Where are all the patients?” Tessa asked.

“Removed.” Striker said as he thumbed through the charts, “An unscheduled move at that. According to this I’d bet most if not all these patients were subjects from the artic research facility.”

“I don’t understand how all these places could have been built.” Tessa said shaking her head, “Pioneer One was only supposed to build the central dome. How could they have built so many and keep it a secret?”

“I’m beginning to think nearly every one on Pioneer One was involved.” Striker shrugged, “It would be easy to keep it from loyal people like you and Flowen.”

“And no one on Pioneer Two knew about this?” Tessa frowned.

“A small amount of People knew.” Striker shrugged, “Mostly WORKS I think. Lazarus didn’t find out until after Osto’s research was recovered. In fact everything seemed to take off after his research was recovered.”

“I still can’t believe this is all happening.” Tessa gasped.

“Neither can I and I’ve been in the middle of most of it.” Striker replied, “This looks like it might be a back up lab. Everything’s pretty basic.”

“Compared to the northern lab right.” Tessa asked.

“Right.” Striker replied, “Looks like they’ve been slowly upgrading things too.”

Another howl vibrated through the building. The humans froze listening for it again. Tessa squeezed Strikers arm.

“I want to go.” She shivered.

“I know but we need to find the others.” Striker replied.

“Please, I want to leave now.” Tessa said squeezing harder.

“As soon as we find the others.” Striker nodded.

“No now!” Tessa insisted.

“Those are hunters!” Striker started to yell, “I’m not leaving them!”

“You’ll risk your life for those low life strangers?” Tessa shot.

“I’m a hunter!” Striker yelled, “There’s a certain amount of honour that goes with this I.D. badge. I will not leave them to die without even trying to help them!”

“Is it really about them?” Tessa cried, “Or is it about Demoneye and your stupid revenge. What about me. Doesn’t your badge demand you protect me too?”

“Yes!” Striker barked, “And as long as you’re with me I can protect you. I’m going after those hunters so you have two choices, come with me for protection or try to find a way back to Pioneer Two by yourself!”

Striker stormed off to the next tube. Tessa glared at him with anger. An alien scream shot a shiver down her back. She ran up and grabbed Strikers arm. He didn’t look at her. He just continued on his way. The next building housed the stasis tubes. The half flesh, half machine subjects were still inside. Tessa gasped at the sight.

“What is this?” She asked softly.

“The product of a twisted mind.” Striker replied, “He’s dead now.”

He saw in Tessa’s eyes that she needed more from him. She needed to understand exactly what this all was. Striker let out a sigh and slowly walked from one tube to the next.

“Do you know Doctor Osto Hyde?”

Tessa nodded.

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

“Down in the mines he developed a small crustacean worm that he called Beta 762 or something like that.” Striker explained, “I don’t remember the exact numbers. We just call it Del Rol Le. It escaped and began to grow into this giant monster that was capable of injecting a mutagen into animals. It was this mutagen and Osto’s work on the D-cells that allowed Doctor Lazarus to create these. The evolution of man kind as he called it.”

“How horrible.” Tessa gasped, “But what are D-cells?”

“They come from the dark force living under Ragol.” Striker said, “Transforming anything they infect and robbing its victim of its very being. It’s also part of those subjects.”

“How?” Tessa whispered, “How could anyone do this?”

“I don’t know but the growing list of people willing to continue this kind of work is most disturbing.” Striker sighed.

“Sounds like I was safer in the artic.” Tessa said walking up to a tube, “These poor people. The pain they must be going through.”

“They’re in stasis.” Striker said flatly, “I doubt they feel anything.”

“But still.” Tessa sighed placing her hand on the glass.

The subject’s human eye sprang open and looked down at her. Tessa screamed and jumped back. The subject’s mouth opened as if to let out a pain filled scream. Its face twisted in agony as it scraped its hand across the glass leaving scratches on the inside of the tube. Striker grabbed Tessa and turned her away from the tube. She hugged him tight still shaking and crying in his shoulder. Striker could only stare up at the tortured soul inside. For the first time he felt truly sorry for these people. For the first time he understood. An alien scream pierced through the door and filled the room. The door to the next tube opened and an alien slowly entered. Striker and Tessa quickly ducked behind one of the work tables. Striker peered out from the side. The alien sniffed the air and barked once. A reply came from deep in the tunnel, most likely from the next room. The alien went from tube to tube sniffing each one. It came to the tube with the wake subject. It tilted its head to the left as if eyeing it up. It let out another bark then slashed through the glass. The fluid poured out bringing the subject with it. The subject let out a fluid filled scream full of pain and agony. The subject swatted at the alien with its human arm leaving scratch marks on the side of the aliens face. It let out a piercing scream then bit the subjects face off. Striker gasped and ducked back behind the table.

“What?” Tessa whispered.

Striker just put his finger to his lips. Tessa nodded and zipped her lips shut. Striker smiled then peeped around the desk. A second alien poked its head in. The first alien gave a couple of barks. The second lowered its head slightly and then carried the body away. The alien looked over at the table. Striker quickly ducked back behind it. The alien started to creep toward the table but stopped as another subject woke up. It looked to be a cross between a RAcast and a FOnewm. The alien slashed open the tube then carted the body away. Striker let out a deep sigh.

“That was too close.” He whispered.

“See, we have to get out of here.” Tessa whispered back.

“Are you kidding?” Striker smiled, “The funs just started.”

“Oh great.” Tessa grumbled, “I had to fall for a psychopath with a death wish.”

Striker started for the tube that the aliens had gone through. Tessa grabbed his arm.

“What are you doing?” She asked, “The bad guys are that way!”

“We only have two ways to go.” Striker replied, “And we know the others aren’t that way so…”

“Fine.” Tessa exhaled as she threw her arms up, “I still say this is stupid!”

“You’re probably right.” Striker smiled as he pulled his Red Sword from its sheath on his back.

The next transport tube angled down to a pod lower on the mountain side. This was a computer lab filled with desks all lined in rows. Each desk had a terminal from which the scientists could analyse data. Several terminals were still running. Two tubes branched off from here. One ran up to a higher pod while the other ran to the volcano’s interior. Striker sat down at one of the computers and began looking through the material. Most of it he didn’t understand.

“There is some good news.” Striker said, “They haven’t added anybody to their freak show. In fact it looks like they’ve abandoned this cross breed project all together.”

“Then why keep those poor people alive?” Tessa frowned.

“Looks like they’re still studying the effects of the D-cells on them!” Striker shook his head slowly, “I’d say they’re still obsessed with controlling this dark energy.”

“What happens when these aliens become infected?” Tessa asked.

“They’ll mutate as well.” Striker shrugged, “I’d be more afraid if they found Dark Falz layer deep in the ruins. I’d hate to see what he’d make from one of those guys.”

“Dark Falz?” Tessa asked, “Oh that dark creature that wiped out Pioneer One.”

Striker nodded. He hadn’t actually been involved with the fight against Dark Falz but after talking with a few people who had, he knew it was bad. Striker had just found a floor map when some one screamed. It was a human scream and it came from the next exterior pod. Striker leapt from his chair and bolted up the tube. He stopped at the door and activated the photon edge on his sword. Devlin was standing with his back against the wall. His right arm had been bitten off just below the elbow. The alien inched closer. Drool dripped from its jaws. It clenched and unclenched its talons. Devlin noticed Striker in the door way.

“My bullets just bounced off!” He cried.

“Let’s see how he likes my blade.” Striker replied.

Striker charged at the alien. Its head whipped around and hissed at him. Striker chopped at the alien’s third segment. His sword grazed off leaving only a scratch in the shell. With out hesitating he stabbed at it. The point pierced through the shell but went no deeper.

“Well this sucks!” Striker tilted his head.

The alien took a swipe at him catching his shirt. Striker quickly grabbed his stomach searching for damage. Only his uniform was torn. He let out a sigh of relief. Tessa ran up beside him and let out a sharp scream.

“We need sharp pointy objects!” Striker barked.

Tessa nodded and drew her combat knife. The alien turned its attention back to Devlin. Tessa aimed and threw the knife. The alien drew back its talons ready to tear Devlin to pieces. The knife struck the alien in the side of the head. It let out a high pitched scream and grabbed the knife. It pulled the knife out, spasm, and then fell to the floor. Orange liquid poured out of the wound. Striker cautiously approached the alien and poked it with his sword. It remained motionless. Tessa retrieved her knife then tended to Devlin’s wound. Striker took a chop at the carcass. His blade bounced off. He then stabbed it, cracking the shell.

“Interesting.” He muttered.

“What are these things?” Devlin quivered.

Tessa pulled out a syringe and shot his arm full of pain killers, then checked the bandage on his arm.

“E.T.s I’d say.” Striker replied, “The real question is, why are they here?”

“Collecting food.” Tessa said flatly.

“Huh?” The two men frowned.

“You saw how they carried off those subjects.” Tessa shrugged, “The one ate that guy’s face and this guys arm.”

“Names Devlin.”

“Charmed.” Tessa smiled.

“There’s got to be more to it.” Striker shook his head, “Like how’d they know to come here. We don’t have any inhabitants on the surface yet and our population isn’t big enough to stand out as a food source.”

“Did you see the way their ship was growing into the surface.” Tessa said.

“It could be a colonization plan then.” Devlin suggested.

Tessa shrugged.

“Well, what ever the reason, they can’t stay.” Striker said storing the sword in its sheath, “We were here first.”

“Devlin, where did Harris go?” Tessa asked.

“We got separated when one of those things attacked.” Devlin replied, “Wait, you knew his name but not mine?”

“I knew your name.” Tessa grinned.

“Anyway, he went deeper into the mountain.” Devlin shrugged gripping his wrapped stub.

“I’ll bet that’s where Demoneye went too.” Striker growled.

“How’s the arm?” Tessa asked as she adjusted Devlin’s bandage.

“I think the painkillers are kicking in.” Devlin smiled.

“You better go back to the ship.” Striker said, “I’ll cast Ryuker for you.”

“Thanks.” Devlin smiled.

Striker threw his arm but nothing happened. He frowned and tried again. Nothing happened.

“This is very bad.” Tessa muttered.

“Come on.” Striker said, “You’ll just have to stay close.”

“Hold it Striker.” Tessa said grabbing his arm, “I’m no warrior and Devlin is disabled. We can’t fight those things. You’re responsibility is our safety now. You have to get us out.”

“I’m not leaving the others!” Striker growled and headed down the interior tunnel.

“We’re all going to die.” Devlin sighed.

Tessa nodded and followed Striker into the interior. It was Devlin clinging to Tessa’s arm now. He was glad she was pretty or this situation would be very grim indeed.

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Falcon was sure he heard some one running through the bushes. It was headed away from them. Most likely the rouge scientist Mome and Falcon had questions for him. Falcon signalled for the group to fan out and search the area. He headed straight for the noise. Nikki and Crystal went off to the left and Sahara went right. They kept talking to each other so they wouldn’t get lost. Good idea when some one wants to be found. Not so good when they wanted to escape and this person definitely wanted to escape. Falcon had to pick up his pace as the person picked up their pace. Falcon heard him trip a couple of times. This was good; he could make up some distance. Falcon heard his prey fall and land in water. He splashed around climbing to his feet. Falcon increased his speed. He could hear the girls closing in on his position. Something let out a hiss just in front of him. Falcon froze for a second scanning his surrounding. When he deemed it safe he continued down the bank to the stream. A creature screamed in the bushes right in front of him. He darted forward just in time to see the abdomen and pincers of a large insect disappear in to the bush. Falcon wanted to pursue but a second scream stopped him. It came from his left. Nikki and Crystal were there. He may despise rangers and forces but they were his team-mates and his responsibility. Another scream came from his right. Someone ran past him on the top of the bank headed for the young women. Falcon scampered up the bank just as a creature ran past bumping him back down the bank. The creature stopped to look around then continued its pursuit.

“Sahara!” Falcon gasped.

He jumped to his feet and took a step toward the bank. He had the sudden feeling he was being watched. Slowly he turned around and came face to face with a dark alien creature. It seemed to stare at him with a sightless gaze. The lack of eyes was unnerving even for him. Moving very slowly he reached into his pack and pulled out his Yamato. The alien cocked its head and hissed. Falcon activated the blades and took a defensive stance. The alien screamed and lashed out with its talons. Falcon blocked then swung. His blade grazed off the aliens arm.

“NO!” Falcon yelled.

The alien took another swing. Falcon ducked just as the talon swung past his head. He returned with a swing of his own but again the sword glanced off. This only made him angrier. He charged with katanas swinging. Each strike just bounced off but the alien had to take a step back under Falcons barrage. It screamed waving its arms in the air.

“You remind me of another distasteful insect.” Falcon smirked.

The alien swung at him catching him in the chest. Internal alarms rang in his head as the talon severed a fluid line and several processors. Falcon was knocked on his back but quickly jumped to his feet. He swung again but failed to make any damage.

“What are you?” He cried and drove at the alien.

Both tips of the Yamato pierced through the aliens shell with a wet crack.

“Ah ha!” Falcon smiled.

He shoved the blades all the way in. The alien cried out. He twisted the blades sideways then pulled them apart. The sides of the alien’s body exploded in a splash of shell and orange liquid. The alien collapsed in a pool of its own liquid. Falcon turned and bolted up the bank. He could hear shots coming from nearby. As he approached the battle he could see the flashes from Crystal’s techniques. She appeared to be cycling through everyone. That was very unusual for a force. They would find the most effective and stick with it. Falcon broke through a thick bunch of bushes to find two aliens attacking his team. Nikki's shot were completely useless. Crystal’s techniques didn’t seem to be fairing much better. Falcon charged the closest one.

“Stab them!” He yelled.

Sahara nodded and charged the alien Falcon was headed to. Nikki drew her sabre and Crystal pulled her Elysion. Nikki attacked directly as Crystal circled around. The alien kept looking at each girl waiting for the first strike. Crystal started to take a stab first. The alien spun with talons swinging. Nikki charged digging her sabre into its abdomen. The pincers clicked trying to grab her but she managed to stay to the side of them. The alien bent around and grabbed her by the arm. Crystal charged in and drove the tip of her sword into the alien’s third segment. The alien twisted around tearing Nikki from her sabre and grabbed Crystal by the leg. She pulled out her sword and drove it into the aliens arm. The alien immediately let go. Its talon twitched but failed to function properly. Crystal took another stab at the segment. Orange fluid sprayed from the wound. It dropped Nikki and attacked Crystal with its good arm. Crystal ducked the first attack but the second tore a section of her dress away. Nikki ran around to the alien’s rear and grabbed her sabre. She tried tearing it out and even used her feet to push against the alien. Finally the sabre came lose cutting a large slice out of the alien. It spun around and batted her away; its sharp claws tearing through her shirt and into her chest. She cried out as she hit the ground.

“Nikki!” Crystal cried.

The alien turned to face the force. She had to get to the younger ranger but this monster was stopping her. She grit her teeth and clamped down on the Elysion. The alien was bleeding heavily but hadn’t lost any of its ferocity. It roared and charged. Crystal blocked its attack then drove her sword up into its chest. She pulled it out then dropped to her hands and knees crawling under the creature as it slowly collapsed. She scampered over to where Nikki had landed. She was lying on her back holding her chest.

“Don’t move, I’ll fix you up.” Crystal smiled.

She cast Resta healing Nikki’s wounds. Nikki slowly got to her feet and stretched out the stiffness in her muscles. Crystal stood there grinning at her.

“What?” Nikki shrugged.

“You’re shirt is not hiding anything.” Crystal giggled.

Nikki looked down and quickly crossed her arms and turned red. Crystal smiled then torn off her dress just above her knees.

“It was ruined any way.” She shrugged.

Crystal took the dress piece and tied it around Nikki’s chest

“There.” She nodded, “Good as new.”

“Thank you.” Nikki smiled, “That was so embarrassing.”

“You’re lucky the boys aren’t here to see that.” Crystal giggled.

“I know.” Nikki gasped, “Can you imagine.”

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Sahara’s daggers had dug deep into the third segment of the alien but they were slowly slipping out as the alien continued to buck. Falcon ducked and dodged its attacks while he poked at every opportunity. Unfortunately he wasn’t doing a lot of damage. He jumped away from snapping jaws then dove forward landing a lucky strike at the creatures left shoulder. He heard the arm pop as it dislodged from its joint. He struck with the second katana then heard Nikki scream in pain.

“Curse you fowl demons.” He growled.

Sahara pulled out a dagger then drove it home again. The alien screamed and clawed at her with its hind foot. It finally managed to kick her away but she left two deep cuts. Orange blood poured from the wounds. Sahara jumped to her feet and attacked again. Falcon went flying past her. She landed one strike to the creature’s chest before it grabbed her head in its massive talon. She could hear the metal plating of her cranium begin to crinkle as the alien squeezed. She cried for help. Falcon seemed to come from no where jumping over the alien and landing on its back. Before it could react he drove his katana through its skull. It let out a gurgled scream then fell dead. Sahara pushed the hand off of her and climbed to her feet.

“Are you all right?” Falcon asked.

“I’ll survive.” Sahara nodded, “Let’s go check on the others.”

Crystal and Nikki had already killed their alien. Falcon was actually mildly impressed. Sahara quickly checked on the girls and was relieved to find they were unharmed but she decided not to ask why Nikki was wearing part of Crystals dress. Falcon looked around and nodded when he spotted the volcano.

“We better get to the lab before more of them find us.”

“What about Mome?” Nikki asked.

“If it was him, then he is dead.” Falcon replied, “They got him.”

He kicked the dead alien then headed for the volcano. The three girls exchanged worried looks and followed him deeper into the jungle.

Doctor Mome’s head hurt. He slowly opened his eyes. The room was dimly lit but his vision was blurry so he couldn’t make out any details. He tried to rub his eyes but his arms wouldn’t move. He could still feel them. Something was wrapped tight around him, he couldn’t even wiggle. Slowly his vision returned giving him a look at his new prison. It looked like a large corridor rather than a room. Everything was covered in dark green vine. Mome was wrapped in them. Dim glowing pods produced the only light. Mome looked around and saw several of the lab scientists were here with him as well as some of the test subjects. Every one was wrapped in vines and suspended a couple feet from the ground. Only their heads were left exposed. Mome looked over at the wall across from him and nearly screamed. Hanging there was a human carcass, shrivelled and dry. The air in here was much too moist for the body to have dried on its own. It should be a rotting pile of mush by now. Mome could only surmise that it had been drained of every last fluid. Mome watched helplessly as two aliens entered the corridor carrying two of the test subjects. One stopped in front of Mome and tore the dried body from the wall. It placed the subject in its place. Vines shot out from the wall and wrapped the subject tight. They hung the other one farther away. It was moaning and crying. One alien pulled out a large canister from a place Mome couldn’t see. A small tube extended from the top and shot into the subject’s neck. The subject slowly quieted then fell asleep. The other alien walked up to one of the scientists that were already hanging there. It opened its mouth and extended a large tube from the back of its throat. It had three large teeth that bit into the right side of the base of the neck. The body slowly started to shrivel as the creature drained the fluids from the body. The speed and efficiency amazed Mome but the horror over came him. He let out a short yell. The other alien stepped up to him and looked him over. It held up the canister and injected him with the same stuff. Mome’s eyes grew heavy and finally fell asleep.

The power distribution room wasn’t nearly as heavily guarded as Deepfreeze had anticipated. The automated security had gone down in the attack and most of the guards had been reassigned to the repair. Deepfreeze had made it almost all the way without encountering a single guard. He rounded a corner and saw a flash light beam at the end of the hall. He quickly ducked back around the corner.

“Great, the lights are out.” He muttered.

He took a quick glance at his map. This was the only way to the circuit breakers. He had to take the guard out without hurting him. The guard’s boots clicked loudly in the empty hallway. This area of the ship was normally very noisy but with so much of the ship shut down it was eerily quiet. He waited for the guard to round the corner then before the guard could react, he used the butt of his Ruby Bullet to knock the guard out.

“Sorry.” Deepfreeze said softly.

He grabbed the guards flash light and hurried down the hall. The breaker room was pitch black with exception to the light coming from the panels when the ship was fully active the panels would light the entire room, however most of the panel lights were off. Deepfreeze quickly scanned each panel until he found the power grid to the lab. He quickly pushed each button killing power to the lab.

“Sorry Cal.” He said as he pushed the last button.

Somebody would be down shortly to check this out. That wouldn’t be enough time to clear out the lab. He needed to keep the power off a little longer. He used his handgun like a hammer to smash some of the switches. He nodded with a smile and hurried out. He started to run down the hall until he heard voices ahead. It was definitely the repair crew and they had found the guard. Deepfreeze’s heart beat began to quicken as he tried to think of a way out. He turned and ran back the he had come. The door quietly closed behind him. It would take the repair crew only a minute or two to make sure the guard was alright. All most frantically he searched the room. If he got caught now all their work would be ruined and Rico would be on her own. She needed him whether she knew it or not. Deepfreeze had seen her slowly slipping away over the past year and he was the only reason she was still hanging on. He found a service hatch in the floor but it was locked. He quickly fixed that with his Ruby Bullet. The shot melted the locks away then he kicked the panel in, and then jumped in just as the repair crew entered the room. He landed with a hard thud. His left ankle twisted sideways. Pain shot up his leg. It was all he could do not to cry out. He used the pipes and wire bundles in the service tunnel to pull him self up then hopped away. When he was sure he wasn’t being followed he stopped to tend to his foot. It was already feeling better so he didn’t bother wasting Resta on it. He turned his head to talk to his mag, and then remembered Sato was still at home.

“Boy, I could really use your company right now.” He muttered.

He had been with Sato for so long she felt like a part of him. That was the hardest part of this mission, and he was glad it was coming to an end. They were very close now, he could feel it. He shook his foot then hurried down the tunnel. He had to reach Elly's apartment before she did.

Even with the lab dark and quiet, Elly had wanted to stay. Chief Natasha had sent everyone home until power could be restored. With no lights and no life support it just wasn’t safe. She was worried about Cal. There was no telling how the power failure would affect him. She slowly shuffled her way down the hall to her apartment door. She punched in her door code and stepped through the door. The lights failed to come on.

“Lights!” She called.

Nothing happened.

“Oh great, now what?” She muttered.

“Have a seat Elly.” A voice said.

She screamed and stepped back. The door closed and locked. A tall dark figure stepped out from the corner. The back light from the window kept his face in shadow. The planet was just coming into view feeding the room with even more light. The figure gestured to the couch.

“Please sit.” He said, “I won’t hurt you.”

“You sound very familiar.” Elly frowned, “Who are you?”

“A friend who needs your help.” He replied.

“My help?” Elly tilted her head, “What can I do?”

“You have access to Cal.” He said.

“I hate to tell you this but the power is out in the lab.” Elly frowned.

“I know.” He nodded, “I turned it off. Don’t worry it’ll be back on soon.”

“You!” Elly gasped, “But why?”

“To get you out of lab so I could talk to you.” He said flatly.

“You put Cal at risk!” Elly said angrily, “You could have done a lot of damage!”

“Cal is fine.” He waved, “He’s still running. Only his interface has been powered down.”

“Really?” Elly asked hopefully.

“Really.” He nodded, “I need to know what this opens.”

He handed the card to her. She looked it over for a minute then shrugged.

“OK but how do I contact you when I find out?”

“I’ll be here at ten o’clock tonight.” He said, “Oh and don’t tell anyone what you are doing or where you got that card.”

He started to walk out.

“Hey wait!” Elly called, “What’s this all about?”

“The less you know the better.” He replied then walked out.

“Why doesn’t anybody tell me anything?” Elly pouted.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Rico was standing on the beach with her hood down. Her eyes were closed and her head was tilted up at the sun. The purple bruise marks on her face were getting bigger. This was the first time Deepfreeze had seen her with her hood off. He quietly approached her taking up a position beside her. They stood silent for a moment.

“I had forgotten how good the sun felt.” She said at last.

“Don’t tell me you haven’t done this before now.” Deepfreeze said.

“When you look like I do you don’t want even the chance that someone might see you.” Rico replied, “Besides I’m dead remember?”

“It’s truly sad when that’s not a joke.” Deepfreeze sighed.

“Is that how you see me?” Rico said looking up at him with pain filled eyes.

“You said so yourself.” Deepfreeze replied without looking at her, “I know that isn’t your body and that your soul is trapped inside but know this, you are still a human being from where I stand.”

“For the first time I almost feel human.” Rico said looking away, “The dark energy that is clawing away at me has actually let up.”

“Let up?” Deepfreeze frowned.

Rico nodded. “For the first time since you released me, it’s not calling out to me. I can still feel it but it isn’t trying to draw me in.”

“This is good news.” Deepfreeze smiled.

“No it isn’t.” Rico said turning to him, “I’m more afraid now than when it was eating away at me.”

“What are you saying?” Deepfreeze asked.

“Something else has grabbed Dark Falz attention.” Rico said wiping a tear away, “Look, I’m actually crying.”

Deepfreeze hesitated for a second then put his arm around her and held her tight.

“What ever it is we’ll stop it.” He said softly.

“I haven’t cried since being absorbed!!” She sobbed, “What does this mean!”

“What I’ve being trying to tell you.” He replied, “There’s always hope.”

“Why does hope for me have to mean doom for our people?” Rico cried.

“You don’t know that?” Deepfreeze said softly.

“Yes I do.” Rico replied pulling away.

“We have good people on Pioneer Two.” Deepfreeze smiled, “We can stop anything this planet can throw at us.”

“I hope you’re right.” She replied drying her eyes.

“So what have you got for me?” Deepfreeze asked.

“Nothing right now.” Rico shrugged, “You?”

“First Mome is our traitor!” Deepfreeze said, “Although I don’t have any actual proof yet. I did find his office but it was cleared of anything useful. Oh except for this access card I found tucked away in a book!”

“What does it open?” Rico asked, “Where is it!”

“I don’t know and with a friend.” Deepfreeze replied, “I’ll know more tonight.”

“This is an awful risk you’re taking.” Rico sighed.

“She’s never let me down before.” Deepfreeze smiled.

“Alright.” Rico nodded once, “I’ve received reports that the ship that attacked Pioneer Two landed on that southern island. I’m going to check it out.”

“I thought you didn’t have anything?” Deepfreeze frowned.

“This isn’t anything everybody doesn’t already know.” Rico shrugged.

“Be careful.” Deepfreeze said, “They are obviously the bad guys.”

“I will.” Rico smiled and kissed him on the check, “Thank you.”

She turned and teleported back to the ship. Deepfreeze stood rubbing his cheek. Rico’s kiss had been ice cold. It was another rude reminder of what she really was. He sighed and started to cast Ryuker but a rustling in the bushes stopped him. He drew his Final Impact and watched the shadows carefully. The bushes rustled again. It was an individual and from what Deepfreeze could tell it was most likely an android.

“Come on out!” He yelled, “Or I’ll be forced to shoot!”

Slowly a very short RAcaseal dressed in white and pink emerged from the bushes. She was sporting a Guardians crest.

“What are you doing here?” Deepfreeze asked.

“Hunting invisible spiders.” Lisa replied, “They’re all over this island. I kind of got lost and heard voices. I wanted to come out earlier but that girl frightened me.”

“She won’t hurt you.” Deepfreeze smiled, “She’s on our side.”

“Where have you been?” Lisa asked, “We’ve all been very worried about you.”

“I know but Pioneer Two is in great danger.” Deepfreeze said, “Someone is still using Lazarus research. I’m trying to put a stop to it.”

“Seems like the longer we stay here the more trouble we get in.” Lisa sighed, “Where’s Sato?”

“At home.” Deepfreeze said, “I was just about to go get her.”

“Let’s go.” Lisa smiled.

“What about your quest?” Deepfreeze frowned.

“I’m not on a quest.” Lisa shook her head, “I’m using the spiders to practice.”

“At least their good for something.” Deepfreeze shrugged.

He formed a telepipe and stepped in. Lisa followed right behind. They appeared in a deserted corridor under the residential areas. Lisa looked a little confused but quickly shook it off then ran to catch up.

“You couldn’t wait?” She asked.

“Sorry, I’m supposed to be alone.” He replied, “Secret covert operations.”

“Even secret agents need a friend.” Lisa said, “I can help.”

“I know but I fear I’m getting into something that is too dangerous for you.”

“Ha anything you can handle I can help with.” Lisa bowed.

Deepfreeze laughed. “That’s not exactly how it goes.”

“I know but it’s truer this way.” Lisa smiled.

Deepfreeze stopped at a hatch. He looked down at Lisa.

“Wait here.” He said, “The entire area is decompressed. I’ve got Sato stored in a pressure chamber in my apartment. I’ll run in and grab her and come right back.”

“You put her in a pressure chamber just in case?” Lisa smirked.

“No but when it comes to Sato I don’t like to take chances.” Deepfreeze replied, “I have a chamber that she can crawl into if something happens. I don’t like to leave her in the apartment with out some kind of protection. It protects from fire and theft as well.”

Lisa nodded. Deepfreeze pulled up a loose floor plate and pulled out an environment pressure suit. He quickly pulled it on then stepped through the hatch. Twenty minutes past before he reappeared again.

“I was almost beginning to think you weren’t coming back.” Lisa smiled.

“The thought had crossed my mind.” Deepfreeze replied rather coldly then smiled, “Fortunately I’d never do that to a friend. The repair teams were more numerous than I had anticipated.”

“I’m glad you didn’t.” Lisa nodded.

“Well you were right.” Deepfreeze shrugged, “I need your help.”

“Really!” Lisa exclaimed.

Deepfreeze nodded.

“Oh thank you!” Lisa cheered.

“That girl I was with is very sick and won’t be able to help me much longer.”

“She’s more than just sick.” Lisa shook her head, “I saw her eyes.”

“Observant little thing aren’t you.” Deepfreeze chuckled, “The important thing is she helped us when we needed her and now she needs help.”

“She’s the girl in the cloak!” Lisa exclaimed.

Deepfreeze nodded.

“She stole Pushan.” Lisa frowned.

Her mag made a small trill sound.

“She returned him.” Deepfreeze shrugged, “And she made those enhanced weapons don’t forget.”

They reached the hatch at the end of the hallway. Deepfreeze carefully opened the door and peered out. When it was all clear he stepped out. Lisa closed the hatch behind her. Deepfreeze started for the warp when his left arm beeped. He hit the button and studied the readout.

“That was my tap on Olga.” He said, “Some one just tried accessing Osto’s files again.”

“Who?” Lisa asked.

“Mome.” Deepfreeze replied bluntly.

“Doctor Mome?” Lisa gasped, “He didn’t seem like the kind of man to be involved in this.”

“I know.” Deepfreeze sighed, “Elly should be back at the lab by now. I’ll see if she knows where he’s working.”

CHAPTER NINETEEN

Elly was trying to keep her work very quiet. Cal had isolated her terminal but she usually got a little excited when she discovered something new. It was hard to control. She was just finishing the scan on Deepfreeze’s card when her arm cuff beeped. She was surprised to see it was from Deepfreeze.

“It’s not a good idea to contact me now.” She whispered, “I working for some one who wants to remain secret. His work is very hush hush.”

“I know that Elly.” Deepfreeze sighed, “It’s for me.”

“You!” Elly exclaimed.

Everyone in the lab looked at her. She blushed and looked down at her terminal.

“Elly keep it down!” Deepfreeze scolded her, “Listen, someone is trying to access Olga. Is Mome working today?”

“This whole cloak and dagger dark persona doesn’t really suit you.” Elly whispered, “Where have you been all this time.”

“Elly focus!” Deepfreeze growled.

“Sorry.” Elly blushed, “Mome disappeared on that southern island where the aliens landed. Falcons team was pursuing him but they lost him when they were attacked.”

“Attacked!” Deepfreeze exclaimed, “Are they all right. Who’s with him?”

“Sahara, Nikki, and Crystal.” Elly replied, “I haven’t been able to contact them since you shorted out the power.”

“I’m going after them.” Deepfreeze said.

“You can’t.” Elly said a little too loud.

Everyone in the lab was staring at her. She smiled sheepishly and waved with her fingers. Slowly the gazes turned away.

“If someone else is accessing Olga then you must find them.” Elly said softly, “Besides I got that trace on your card.”

“I can’t just leave my friends.” Deepfreeze insisted.

“OK I’ll contact Cerberus and Hitman.” Elly sighed, “They are more than capable of finding them.”

“Thanks Elly.” Deepfreeze smiled.

“Go to lab four.” Elly said, “It’s empty. I’ll leave your card and the information there. In the number two bio analyser.”

“Got it.” Deepfreeze nodded and cut the signal.

He turned and stared down at Lisa. She stared back for a moment then shrugged.

“What?”

“How stealthy can you be?”

It was getting late and Amanda was still asleep. Cerberus had been by her side since they returned. HitmanJ and Aphrodite entered the small medical room and sat down beside her.

“How is she?” HitmanJ asked.

“Stable.” Cerberus said, “I never should have taken her.”

“You can’t blame yourself for this.” Aphrodite shook her head, “This was her mission. You couldn’t have anticipated this.”

“She’s right.” HitmanJ nodded, “No one could have known these aliens would show up.”

“What bugs me is how they knew to come here.” Cerberus said, “It took us countless probes to find Ragol. They’ve sent nothing and yet they knew to come straight here. Even before they intercepted Pioneer Three, they were coming here.”

“I don’t know but…” HitmanJ started but was interrupted by his BEE.

“Elly here. I need to see you and Cerberus right away!”

“We’re on our way.” HitmanJ nodded.

“I’m not leaving Amanda.” Cerberus said flatly.

“It’s OK, I’ll stay with her.” Aphrodite nodded.

“Elly needs us.” HitmanJ said slapping the android on the shoulder, “It must be important.”

“Very well.” Cerberus said climbing out of his seat.

Elly didn’t smile as the rangers approached her station. They knew then it must be pretty bad. She looked to make sure no one was watching then waved the two men forward.

“Falcons team has disappeared.” She said softly, “Officially their not missing yet but I can’t contact them. I was hoping you guys could go look for them.”

“Falcon can take care of himself.” HitmanJ shrugged, “What’s the big deal.”

“He took Nikki and Crystal.” Elly replied.

“Nikki went!” Cerberus exclaimed.

“She’s not experienced enough to deal with this.” HitmanJ said.

“Does her brother know?” Cerberus asked.

“No.” Elly shook her head,

“We have to get them back.” Cerberus said, “It’s hard enough keeping Jesse home when she goes on regular quests.”

“I don’t get it.” Elly frowned, “Why are you guys trying so hard to keep him from doing hunters quest?”

“Think of him as a young Ash.” HitmanJ pointed.
    “Oh.” Elly whispered.

“Come on Hitman.” Cerberus said.

“We should tell Aphrodite first.” HitmanJ sighed, “If I left without telling her, she’d kill me.”

“The collar and leash are on already!” Cerberus laughed.

“I heard that!” Elly called.

“Great now she’s going to tell Aphrodite and I’ll get blamed.” HitmanJ jabbed Cerberus’ arm.

Cerberus laughed. They hurried back to the medical booth to find Aphrodite waiting outside.

“What are you doing?” HitmanJ asked.

“A girl needs her privacy.” Aphrodite shrugged.

“Huh?” The rangers frowned.

“Amanda is up!” Aphrodite announced.

“Really?” Cerberus grinned and started for the door.

Aphrodite stepped in front of him waving a finger.

“No, no, not until she’s done!”

Amanda stepped out adjusting her uniform. Cerberus scooped her up and hugged her.

“Alright, alright big guy!” She horsed.

“Sorry.” Cerberus said setting her down, “I was really worried about you. I think of you as a sister and I shouldn’t have let you go.”

“Now you’re starting to sound like Deepfreeze.” Amanda frowned, “Stop it!”

Cerberus nodded.

“I’m a big girl now and I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself.” Amanda stomped her foot and smiled, “Besides I wouldn’t have let you leave me behind. It was my family we were looking for.”

“She’s right.” Aphrodite nodded.

“We have a situation planet side.” HitmanJ said, “Falcons team has disappeared. Cerberus and I are going to look for them.”

“Not without us you’re not.” Aphrodite frowned placing her hands on her hips.

“You two are not going.” Cerberus said.

“Yes we are!” Amanda said pushing past him.

Aphrodite followed her giving Cerberus a smirk and a nod.

“See.” HitmanJ shrugged, “Can’t win.”

“How do you humans stand to be in life long relationships with them?” Cerberus frowned.

“Do you really want an answer?” HitmanJ asked.

“I’m an android.” Cerberus replied, “Yes!”

“They use our own weaknesses against us.” HitmanJ shrugged, “They use their curves and smells and moves to lure us in. It isn’t until well after the ring is on and the seduction stops that we men realize we’ve been tricked.”

“I don’t get it.” Cerberus shook his head.

“Neither do I buddy.” HitmanJ sighed, “Neither do I.”

“Come on we better hurry up.” Cerberus said.

“So, how do we get our equipment when the cityscape is decompressed?” HitmanJ frowned.

“Oh crap!” Cerberus gasped, “I forgot all about that!”

“All my equipment is stored away in the check room.” HitmanJ said.

“Mine too.” Aphrodite added.

“I guess you’ll just have to grab some stuff from the local shops.” Cerberus shrugged, “At least you still have access to your Meseta.”

“Great.” HitmanJ muttered, “Back to basic stuff.”

“You two grab some equipment then meet us in the lab.” Cerberus pointed.

“Right.” HitmanJ nodded then grabbed Aphrodite’s arm, “Come on!”

Cerberus watched the couple disappear into the crowd then turned for the warp. He started walking away without saying a word. Amanda hadn’t noticed him leave and had to run to catch up. She took up a position behind and kept quiet. She could tell he was lost in thought. She knew he was worried about their friends but she suspected there was much more. Oddly enough her thoughts began to drift toward Striker. She wondered how he was making out on his quest. As far as she knew, no one had been isolated from the ship for this long and definitely not in as harsh an environment as he was in. Cerberus stopped abruptly and Amanda actually ran into him.

“Hey!”

Cerberus turned and looked down. “Sorry!”

“What’s the big idea?” Amanda frowned.

“I just realized I haven’t heard from Lisa all day.” Cerberus replied, “Deepfreeze made me promise to watch out for the little android. She was planning to go to Gal Da Val Island and practise on the spiders.”

“By herself!” Amanda gasped.

Cerberus nodded.

“She doesn’t have that kind of experience.” Amanda shook her head.

“I know but she insisted on going and there wasn’t anyone available to accompany her.” Cerberus explained, “She is as stubborn as you are.”

It was Amanda’s turn to just nod.

“Come on.” Cerberus waved, “We’ll check the island first then head to the south.”

“You think that’s wise?” Amanda asked, “What about Falcon and his team?”

“If anyone can keep his team alive it’s Falcon!” Cerberus sighed.

CHAPTER TWENTY

Sue stood alone on the southern beach of Gal Da Val Island. She stood watching a storm brewing far out in the ocean. The sky was growing black with bright flashes of lightening. The wind had died off a few minutes ago. The calm before the storm. It seemed fitting considering what they were about to do. The northern camp had been cleared out and soon they would all gather here. Once Black Hound had been recovered and brought here they would be able to begin the attack. Pioneer Two’s scientists had held Black Paper hostage long enough. Kireek would lead them to success and wipe out anyone who would try to take power. It was more than the ring leaders they held. It was the contacts and clients Black Paper used. Lazarus had some how obtained the names of every Black Paper member, their contacts, customers, merchandise with serial numbers as well as the codes to the slaves neural chips including hers. It was all stored on a disk that Lazarus had hidden. Mome claimed he possessed the disk. Sue didn’t believe him but she couldn’t take that chance. If he released the information to the authorities, then they could trace it all the way back to Coral. Black Paper would be ruined. If they struck fast enough they might be able to recover the information before anyone knew what was happening.

“Sue.” A voice said.

She turned to see a tall dark RAmar dressed in black. She smiled and waved him over.

“Hello Nighthawk.” She said softly.

Nighthawk had served Black Paper for as long as she had been alive. He had been very high up in the hierarchy for a very long time. His current role was spy on board Pioneer Two. He had been tracking Mome ever since Lazarus had died. His being here was a bad sign.

“What have you got?” Sue asked.

“Mome has transported to the southern facility with Doctor Myers.” Nighthawk reported, “We’ve lost him but we believe the disk is still on board the ship.”

“Good.” Sue nodded, “We move soon.”

“Wait, there’s more.” Nighthawk said holding up his hand.

Sue turned and looked deep into his eyes. He looked right back. Once again their souls connected. A shiver ran up Sue’s spine. They had secretly been lovers for a couple years now. No one knew. No one could know. It was strictly forbidden for a member to be romantically involved with a slave. She still felt his love but there was more. She snapped her head away breaking their bond.

“What is it?” She asked.

“We found the ice ranger.” Nighthawk said, “He’s been snooping around the lab. Strange thing is he isn’t wearing his ranger uniform. It’s been difficult keeping track of him but we believe he did find something in Mome’s office. Our operatives are watching the lab in case he returns.”

“Deepfreeze.” Sue whispered, “What are you after?”

“Sue?” Nighthawk said softly.

“Stay here and wait for the others.” Sue said.

“But Sue!” Nighthawk started to protest.

“Wait for the others.” Sue repeated, “I’ll handle Deepfreeze personally.”

“As you wish.” Nighthawk bowed.

Sue sighed then turned and walked away. She knew it was difficult for him to take orders from a slave but she had been the only one with enough gall to step up and begin this revolt. She was hoping Black Paper’s freedom would mean hers too. Sue cast Ryuker and stepped into the telepipe. She appeared not on the promenade but in the lab instead. Everyone stopped and stared at her. She frantically looked around with a very confused expression on her face.

“Hello Sue.” Natasha said calmly, “We haven’t seen you in quite a while. How’s Black Paper.”

“What?” Sue blurted, “I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

“Indeed.” Natasha muttered.

“What am I doing here?” Sue frowned, “Why am I not on the promenade?”

“The city area has been decompressed from the recent attack.” Natasha explained, “Repair crews are working on the damage as we speak.”

“Attack, what attack?” Sue frowned.

“What’s the matter?” Natasha smirked, “Your informants not keeping you up to date.”

“Shut up!” Sue growled.

She stormed out of the main room and into the hallway that led to the laboratories. She seethed with anger. She didn’t know who she was more upset at, Natasha for embarrassing her or her spy’s for not keeping her informed. She stormed past Montague’s lab just as Elenor walked out carrying a tray of beakers. Sue was knocked onto her back as the tray crashed to the floor. Elenor gasped and jumped back.

“Oh hello Sue.” Elenor smiled.

“Watch where you’re going android!” Sue snapped.

Elenor offered to help her up. Sue slapped her hand away which hurt a lot more than Sue expected.

“I don’t need any help from the likes of you.” Sue growled rubbing her hand.

“As you wish.” Elenor stood sheepishly.

Sue stormed past her checking each lab she past. Deepfreeze wasn’t in any of them. She must have beaten him here. Advantage Sue. She stepped out of the last lab just as the door at the end of the hall opened. He wasn’t wearing his uniform but Sue recognized him instantly. Deepfreeze stepped through the door followed by the little white and pink RAcaseal. Sue quickly ducked back into the lab and locked the door. She hit the power switch on one of the monitors and watched as he stopped to chat with Elenor. Sue turned up the volume so it was barely audible.

“Greetings Deepfreeze.” Elenor smiled, “It’s been so long.”

“Yes it has.” Deepfreeze nodded, “Doing some errands for Carlos?”

“No, this is my own project.” Elenor shook her head, “Doctor Montague disappeared shortly before the attack.”

“Really?” Deepfreeze frowned, “How close to the attack?”

“The day before.” Elenor replied.

“That’s odd.” Deepfreeze scratched his head, “Even for him.”

“I think he was on the verge of recreating those high frequency photons too.” Elenor said, “Then he suddenly just up and left.”

“That’s very wrong.” Deepfreeze said.

“Ya he shouldn’t be working on those.” Lisa’s voice squeaked, “They’re too dangerous.”

“I mean him up and leaving a major break through like that unfinished.” Deepfreeze frowned.

“I know.” Lisa nodded, “But those frighten me more.”

“So they should.” Elenor said, “They’re very dangerous.”

“Thank you Elenor.” Deepfreeze smiled, “We’ll see you later.”

“I’ll hold you to that!” Elenor called as they walked away.

“None of this makes sense.” Deepfreeze frowned, “Why would he leave a project like that unfinished. What are the odds that he’d just happen to leave right before the day of the attack?”

“And where did he go?” Lisa asked.

“Yes, where’d he go?” Deepfreeze pondered.

They stopped in front of the lab Sue was hiding in. If they came in she was caught. She watched the monitors intently. Her heart beat began to rise. Deepfreeze pulled out a piece of paper. Sue couldn’t read what was on it. Deepfreeze looked up at the end wall then back at the paper.

“Cal’s trace indicates the reader for this card should be past this wall.” Deepfreeze said.

“Card, what card?” Sue asked softly, “What are you talking about?”

Lisa tapped the wall then shrugged.

“Seems solid.”

“Check the wall.” Deepfreeze said, “There must be a hidden door or passage way.”

They pushed on every panel and checked every seam but found nothing. Lisa sighed and leaned up against the wall. Deepfreeze pulled the card from his pocket and studied it for a moment. Soon his studying turned to simply flipping it around in his fingers.

“We are missing something here.” He grumbled.

“Yes but what?” Lisa shrugged, “There’s no sign of movement from anything on this wall. Could it be in one of the labs?”

“If it is, it could take us days to search every lab.” Deepfreeze sighed.

“There must be a clue somewhere.” Lisa frowned, “Where did you find it?”

“Mome's office!” Deepfreeze replied, “In a locked cabinet. Let’s go have another look!”

Deepfreeze hurried back down the hall with Lisa in tow. He turned right and entered the administrative section. Mome’s office was at the center of a hallway two blocks from the exit. The door had been sealed but that was nothing for Lisa who had learned how to hack into computer systems. Deepfreeze was pleasantly surprised at his young friends newly acquired skill. The door slid open and the lights came on.

“Very good.” He smiled as he stepped in.

“Thank you.” Lisa giggled.

Deepfreeze was very much a mentor to her and this was high praise coming from him. It made her feel warm and useful inside. Deepfreeze walked over to the book shelf and was pleased to see the journal still sitting there. He picked it up and handed to Lisa.

“Scan through this and see if you can find anything.”

Lisa nodded and began reading faster than any human could possibly do. Deepfreeze walked over to the cabinet and opened it up. It was mostly empty with only a couple of file folders lying on the floor. Deepfreeze scooped them up and began reading through them. Lisa finished the book and set it down.

“There’s a lot of photon and D-cell research mentioned in here.” She said, “If it weren’t so focused on the manipulation and control of the dark energy I’d say it almost read like one of Montague’s reports.”

“What did you say?” Deepfreeze snapped up from his report.

“I said it almost reads like Montague.” Lisa repeated.

“Of course!” Deepfreeze snapped his fingers, “How could I have missed it.”

“What?” Lisa asked.

“What we are looking for is in Montague’s lab.”

“Huh?” Lisa frowned.

“Who on this ship has spent more time researching the photon energy of this planet?” Deepfreeze asked.

“Montague.” Lisa replied.

“And who came up with the method for changing monster parts into weapons?” Deepfreeze continued.

“Montague.” Lisa nodded.

“And who built an android designed to tap directly into the planets photon source!” Deepfreeze pointed.

“Montague.” Lisa shrugged.

“And who disappears one day before the attack?” Deepfreeze finished.

“Montague!” Lisa growled.

“What ever is going on here I’ll bet he’s behind this.” Deepfreeze frowned.

“But he seemed so nice!” Lisa pouted.

“I trusted him too.” Deepfreeze sighed, “I don’t think he’s really bad but I wouldn’t be surprised if he simply got carried away.”

“Leapt before he looked?” Lisa asked.

“Exactly.” Deepfreeze nodded, “Let’s go.”

They quickly returned to the lab section. Montague’s lab was empty. Elenor hadn’t returned from where ever she had been headed. Only then did it occur to him that he should have inquired about the tray and broken glass. Elenor wasn’t clumsy enough to do that on her own. She hadn’t started to clean them up either which meant it had just happened. Since no one else was around meant the culprit was hiding. This worried him. He quickly looked around but didn’t see anyone. He tapped Lisa’s shoulder.

“Stay alert. We’re being followed!”

“By who?” Lisa asked.

“I don’t know but Elenor didn’t drop that tray on her own.” He replied.

“How do you know she dropped it?” Lisa asked.

“No one else is working here right now and she cleaned them up after we left!” Deepfreeze replied.

“Ah.” Lisa nodded.

“Let’s see what we can find.” Deepfreeze nodded.

They searched every wall, every cabinet and shelf, every piece of equipment. Elenor walked in just as Lisa stumbled across a hidden warp platform inside one of his stasis chambers.

“What are you guys doing?” Elenor asked.

“Deepfreeze, look at this!” Lisa called.

Deepfreeze ignored Elenor and went to see what Lisa had found.

“Nice work.” Deepfreeze smiled.

“You guys aren’t supposed to be touching this equipment!” Elenor protested.

“Why would Montague hide a warp platform?” Deepfreeze asked turning to Elenor.

“I don’t know.” Elenor shook her head, “I’ve never seen this before.”

“And this looks like a place for a card.” Lisa said pointing to a slot on the inside wall of the chamber.

“Indeed it does.” Deepfreeze smiled.

He slipped the card into the slot then pulled it out. The green field formed over the platform. Deepfreeze stepped in first, followed by Lisa and Elenor.

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

They appeared in a dark metal hallway. A wall was at their back. It was the other side of the wall in the lab hallway. Deepfreeze pulled a flash light from his pack. Sato gave a soft trill and Pushan gave a chirp.

“The mags are upset.” Elenor said.

“Why?” Deepfreeze asked.

“They sense danger ahead.” Elenor replied, “They don’t know what it is but Pushan says it smells very familiar.”

“Familiar how?” Lisa asked.

“He can’t remember exactly.” Elenor said, “From long ago.”

“How long ago?” Lisa asked growing ever more worried, “Before me?”

“No, he was with you.” Elenor replied.

Sato let out a couple of meows followed by a trill.

“Ah thank you.” Elenor smiled, “She says it was under Gal Da Val Island.”

“How does she…” Deepfreeze began.

“Mags talk better with each other than with me.” Elenor shrugged.

“Then we proceed with caution.” Deepfreeze said drawing his Ruby Bullet.

They slowly inched down the hallway watching for anything. Deepfreeze waved his flash light back and forth. It glanced across something that looked like a shadow but when he brought the light back it was gone.

“Creepy.” He muttered.

They move a little farther down and again his light crossed a shadow. Everyone saw it this time.

“Phantoms!” Lisa gasped, “Turn the light off!”

“If I do that then we can’t see them attack.” Deepfreeze frowned.

“Exactly!” Lisa replied, “They can’t hurt us in the dark. They can only exist in the light.”

“Clever.” Deepfreeze said and killed the light.

Lisa took his hand and slowly moved forward. He had to trust that she knew where she was going.

“Can you see?” He asked.

“Of course.” Lisa nodded, “I got an optical upgrade last month which includes night vision.”

“There’s enough light in here for that?” Deepfreeze asked.

“The dim glow from your gun’s power cell is providing just enough.” Lisa replied,

“Good for them.” Deepfreeze mumbled.

They rounded several corners before stopping at a large blast door. There was a card reader on the right side. Lisa took the card from Deepfreeze and slid it in. She pulled it out causing the door to slide open. The hallway was flooded with light. The phantoms returned moaning as they dropped from the ceiling. Instead of attacking they flew the other way. Everyone stood in stunned silence. A girl screamed and came running at them. It was Sue. The phantoms swooped at her. She had to duck and dodge the attacks.

“Come on.” Deepfreeze waved.

The others quickly entered the lab. Deepfreeze hit the door control as Sue approached. He waved her on as the door dropped down. She tripped, sliding to a halt just outside the door. Deepfreeze dropped to his belly, grabbed her arm, and hauled her in just as the door clanged shut. They could hear the phantoms wail slowly die off as they vanished with the darkness.

“Next time wait until I’m inside before you close the doors!” Sue gasped.

“Sorry but I couldn’t let those things in.” Deepfreeze replied, “Even if it meant locking you out.”

“Is that anyway to talk to an old girlfriend?” Sue smiled.

“You!” Deepfreeze shot, “Were never my girlfriend!”

“Look.” Sue said bowing her head, “I’m sorry for what I did but I had no choice. It was my life on the line.”

“Always looking out for number one.” Deepfreeze grumbled, “No matter who has to die.”

“You survived didn’t you?” Sue shrugged.

“I shouldn’t have!” Deepfreeze growled, “I just got lucky!”

He turned and walked away before Sue could reply. Lisa took position beside him and stood silent for a moment while he looked around. When they were far enough away from Sue, she tugged on his arm.

“What was that about?” She asked softly.

“Nothing.” Deepfreeze muttered.

Lisa nodded and decided it was a bad idea to push him for more. She started to check the lab for herself. It was large and rectangular with domed ceiling lights providing a bright but soft white light. The floor was covered with tables. Each table had a sample of a Ragol animal sitting on it. A computer was connected to them. There were samples from everything from the forest to the ruins, Gal Da Val Island, and even the artic. To the groups relief there were no subjects here only animal samples. Deepfreeze stopped at a table by the back wall. It held what looked like a finger made of pure salt. He bent over to read the computer screen. It was registering electrical impulses much like those found in the nervous system.

“Impossible.” Deepfreeze muttered, “It couldn’t have been alive.”

He heard a soft moan behind him. Deepfreeze spun around but saw only the wall. Lisa walked up beside him then looked at the wall too.

“What?” She shrugged.

“I thought…” Deepfreeze began.

They heard the moan again.

“That wasn’t a phantom.” Lisa said.

“No.” Deepfreeze shook his head, “It sounded like an android.”

Sue and Elenor came over to see what they had found. It moaned again.

“That sounds almost familiar.” Sue said.

“It does doesn’t it?” Deepfreeze replied.

“So how do we get in there?” Elenor asked, “I don’t see a card reader anywhere.”

“Most likely a hidden switch somewhere.” Deepfreeze said feeling the wall, “A card reader wouldn’t stop an individual that got this far.”

“Right if no one knows it exists no one can find it.” Elenor smiled.

Deepfreeze nodded then placed his ear against the door. His hand slowly slid up and down then back. He stopped on a small square panel that looked like an access panel to one of the ships power junctions.

“Hmm.” He said as he fingered it, “Very clever.”

“What?” Lisa asked.

“I think its booby trapped.” Deepfreeze replied.

“How do you know that?” Sue frowned.

“With the slightest pressure I can hear a switch start to trip.” Deepfreeze replied, “The door lock requires much more pressure to make it trip.”

“Really?” Sue asked.

“I’ve broken into enough places on this ship now to know a trapped door!” Deepfreeze growled, “This is a standard door lock!”

“Fine.” Sue sighed, “So how do we unlock it?”

Deepfreeze looked around then nodded at a painting. It was a portrait of Corals five greatest hero’s including Heathcliff Flowen. Each one was holding a long staff tipped by the same symbol found on the Ragol monuments. The first was red followed by white, blue, purple, and green. Deepfreeze carefully fingered each symbol. He could feel the seam running around each symbol.

“These symbols push in.” He said.

“OK so which one first?” Sue shrugged.

“If its chronological order then its blue, purple, green, red, and finally Flowen with white.” Elenor said.

“Maybe.” Deepfreeze said, “But my gut tells me it’s something else.”

“If we go by Ragol then its red, blue, and green.” Lisa said softly, “But what about the purple and white?”

“You might be onto something.” Deepfreeze pointed.

He stepped up to the painting and pushed the red symbol. There was a soft click but nothing else.

“From the forest to the caves.” He said pushing each symbol, “To the mines to unseal the door. Enter the door to face the darkness.”

He pushed the purple one then let his finger hover over the white.

“Step from the darkness into the light!” He finished.

“If you’re wrong.” Sue interrupted.

“Nothing may happen.” Deepfreeze replied.

“Or we may die!” Sue finished.

“Maybe.” Deepfreeze shrugged and pushed the symbol.

There was a single click then nothing. Deepfreeze tried pushing the symbols again but they remained in. He turned and shrugged. There was another click and the picture rotated to a new one. This was a picture of Flowen’s sword stuck in the floor of the disposal shaft on Gal Da Val Island.

“You’re kidding me!” Deepfreeze gasped staring at the new picture.

“What, what is it?” Lisa asked.

“This is a picture of Heathcliff Flowen’s sword after it was ejected from Olga Flow!” Deepfreeze replied, “Cerberus and I were the only ones there when Olga Flow died. The sword disintegrated soon after. No one else saw this scene and we told no one.”

“So how could some one paint a scene they never saw?” Elenor asked.

“Guys, look!” Sue called pointing to the back wall.

The panel Deepfreeze had found had opened up revealing a lever inside. Deepfreeze grabbed the handle and pulled. A door opened up beside him. Inside there was a single examination table. A bright spot light shone down from the ceiling. A purple HUcast was strapped to the table. He let out a deep moan.

“Kireek!” Sue exclaimed.

“I thought WORKS had him?” Deepfreeze said looking down at her.

“Mome said they had recovered him right after the artic disaster.” Sue replied, “My intelligence people said he was at that southern island facility.”

“Mome said that?” Deepfreeze frowned, “And yet he’s in Montague’s lab.”

“I don’t like where this is headed.” Elenor wined.

“Me either.” Deepfreeze said.

He slowly approached the table. Kireek turned his head and stared at him for a second then let out a high pitched scream. It startled him and made the girls all step back. The scream faded into incoherent rambling. A single screen sat at the head of the table. Deepfreeze studied the readings which appeared to be brain wave patterns. They were very erratic especially for an android.

“Looks like his mind is completely scrambled.” He said.

“I have to get him out of here.” Sue said.

She charged forward. Deepfreeze grabbed her around the waist and lifted her off the ground.

“That is a very bad idea.” He said softly, “There’s no telling what he’d do if he were free.”

“I can’t leave him here!” Sue nearly cried, “We need him!”

“We?” Lisa asked.

“Black Paper!” Sue replied, “He’s essential to regain our independence.”

“He can’t help anyone right now.” Deepfreeze said setting her down, “According to this he has no rational thought. He can’t think, he can’t reason, and he can’t be controlled.”

“No!” Sue yelled, “He’s our ticket to freedom, my freedom!”

“You’re a slave?” Lisa asked.

“She was created to serve Black Paper.” Deepfreeze replied softly, “Freedom was never designed for her.”

“Doesn’t mean I don’t long for it!” Sue started to cry.

This was the first time Deepfreeze had ever seen her breakdown. He felt sorry for the little Newman. No matter what she had done, to him, she didn’t deserve slavery. No one did. Then his logical mind and training kicked in.

“It could be a trick.” He thought. “She could be just using you, trying to manipulate your good nature.”

It was right of course. She had used his kindness to manipulate him which had lead to her betrayal.

“Sue, I’ll see what we can do to help.” He said, “I’m keeping my eye on you.”

“Good.” She smiled.

Any trace of pain and heartache was gone. It had been one of her little acts.

“However.” He said holding up a finger, “I’m not going to release Kireek and I won’t help Black Paper.”

“But.” Sue pouted.

“I’ll help you gain your personal freedom but nothing more.” Deepfreeze said flatly.

“The only way to help me is to help Black Paper.” Sue said placing her hands on her hips.

“Helping Black Paper still leaves you as their slave.” Deepfreeze replied.

“Not if my plan works.” Sue smirked.

“She’s planning on taking over!” Elenor gasped.

“It won’t work.” Deepfreeze shook his head.

“How do you know?” Sue growled.

“No one in Black Paper will obediently follow someone they see as a slave.” Deepfreeze shrugged, “Once you’ve won your freedom fight everyone around you will turn on you so they can claim leadership.”

“He’s right.” Elenor nodded.

“Do you think Kireek would follow your command?” Deepfreeze said waving at the android.

“He’d beat me until I knew my place.” Sue shuddered.

“Now, someone tried accessing Olga from here.” Deepfreeze said, “See if you can find from where and who it was.”

Lisa quickly found a single computer terminal running with a connection to the ships network and direct links to Volt Opt and Olga. It was also equipped with a transceiver for remote access. The wireless link was equipped with a firewall making a trace all but impossible. Deepfreeze did a quick scan of the files. Volt Opt had received an upgrade program before every encounter with the Guardians teams. This was how he kept beating the hunters. Deepfreeze severed the link and deleted the location so establishing a new link would be difficult. He didn’t bother with Olga because it was no longer a threat. He was just about to access the research files when he heard the door open.

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

“You people shouldn’t be in here!”

They turned to see Doctor Montague looking very cross. Deepfreeze stepped forward. The girl’s coward behind him.

“This is quite the little operation.” Deepfreeze smirked.

“How did you get in here?” Montague asked.

“Simple access.” Deepfreeze said holding up the card.

“Where did you find that?” Montague frowned.

“Mome’s office.” Deepfreeze shrugged.

“Careless fool!” Montague growled.

“How did he get an access card to your lab?” Elenor asked.

“It’s his lab too.” Montague replied, “We were working with Ragols unusual photon energy together.”

“So you both were accessing Olga.” Deepfreeze pointed.

“Osto’s findings were important to the secret behind the D-cells.” Montague shrugged, “For some reason I can no longer access them.”

Deepfreeze just shrugged.

“What about those phantoms?” Lisa asked.

“Wonderful guards ha, ha!” Montague laughed, “Simple to control too. Grants to feed them, Megid to destroy them. I can increase or decrease their life energy by the level of my techniques. I found them trapped under Gal Da Val Island after the artic facility went up. Some of those caverns still exist.”

“What about the android eater and its bats?” Lisa asked nervously.

“That is truly a fascinating creature ha, ha!” Montague grinned.

“I don’t get it.” Deepfreeze frowned, “After all that’s happened why would you still be working with such dangerous evil?”

“That’s the main purpose of the Pioneer project.” Montague shrugged, “Osto was to set up the initial projects then Mome, Lazarus, and I along with a few other top scientists were to join him on Ragol. Unfortunately Dark Falz release kind of screwed things up.”

“No kidding.” Sue grumbled.

“We thought all was lost until Lazarus discovered a fully functioning and clear lab in the artic.” Montague explained, “He was suppose to just start our photon experiments but then he became obsessed with the power of the D-cells. When Mome and I discovered what he had been doing we ordered him to stop. Little did we know he had black mailed Black Paper into his service. We were powerless to stop him. After his death Mome got his hands on Lazarus files including the Black Paper material thanks to your Newman friend there.”

“What!” Sue gasped.

“You had Black Papers freedom in your hands and you just gave it away ha, ha!” Montague laughed.

“No!” Sue gasped dropping to her knees.

She turned very pale and looked ready to throw up.

“What about that painting.” Deepfreeze pointed, “Where did that come from?”

“Lazarus painted that.” Montague shrugged, “He, Mome, and I followed you and your android friend through the seabed facility. We were there when Olga Flow died. He provided some wonderful samples, ha, ha!”

“And the attack on Pioneer Two?” Lisa asked.

“My fault I’m afraid.” Montague sighed.

“NO!” Elenor gasped.

“Purely by accident.” Montague nodded, “One of my hobbies is contact with alien life. I scanned space for worlds that had potential for supporting life. To my delight one replied. I’m afraid in my over zealous joy with communicating to aliens I included details about Ragol and the Dark Force living beneath the surface.”

“You brought them here?” Deepfreeze gasped.

“Yes, and they are here for the D-cells.” Montague sighed, “I had no idea they’d be hostile. I just wanted to make first contact.”

“Have you seen them Doctor?” Elenor asked excitedly.

“Yes.” Montague nodded with a smile, “Very insect like with a living hive ship that appears to have vegetative qualities to it and a flesh hull.”

“Huh?” Sue frowned.

“It’s a giant animal plant.” Deepfreeze replied.

“Oh.” Sue nodded once.

“Their ship is actually growing into the ground and taking over the natural vegetation.” Montague said, “It’s most fascinating.”

“Doctor, this is not fascinating this is a potential danger!” Deepfreeze exclaimed, “What happens if they find Dark Falz. You know he’s still down there and he’s looking for a new body!”

“Now how would you know that?” Montague frowned.

“I have my sources.” Deepfreeze shrugged.

“Yes, we’ve had difficulty hiding this from your cloak and dagger operations.” Montague frowned.

“If you were part of all this then why did you help us stop Lazarus?” Lisa asked.

“I didn’t approve of his experiments.” Montague replied walking around Kireek’s table, “What he did was wrong no mater how you look at it. Then I found out Mome had taken over the southern facility. He wasn’t making any more mutants but he was still using the existing ones which is still wrong.”

“And you?” Sue growled.

“I continued with my animal experiments.” Montague shrugged, “And turned my focus to alien contact and photon research and development. Unfortunately the alien thing turned out to be a mistake as well.”

“It’s not too late to stop them.” Deepfreeze said.

“It’s not that simple.” Montague shook his head, “These creatures are very resistant to our weapons. I haven’t had a chance to test techniques yet but I have witnessed the ineffectiveness of our guns and swords.”

“Witnessed who?” Deepfreeze asked.

“Your friend Falcon and his team.” Montague smiled, “Don’t worry; they are safe ha, ha!”

“At least they are isolated on that island.” Sue said, “It should give us some time.”

“That depends if they have penetrated the facility yet.” Montague said.

“Then we had better find out.” Deepfreeze nodded.

“Kireek should be…” Lisa started looking over at the table.

Sue was messing with the lock controls. Lisa tugged on Deepfreeze’s arm and pointed at
    the table.

“Sue no!” Deepfreeze yelled.

It was too late. The straps unbuckled and retracted Kireek slowly sat up and looked down at Sue. She stared up with a joyful face.

“You’re free Black Hound.” She grinned, “We need you to help free Black Paper.”

Kireek slid off the table and let out a roar. With a swing of his right arm he sent Sue flying against the wall. She hit with a thud then slumped to the ground. Kireek continued to mumble something incoherently as he slowly approached the little Newman. Deepfreeze was sure he meant to kill her.

“Kireek!” He yelled.

Kireek turned and stared at the ranger.

“Come and get me!” Deepfreeze called, “I know you recognize me. You want revenge. Come and get it!”

Kireek roared and charged. The others scattered. Deepfreeze drew his Ruby Bullet and fired. The shot caught Kireek in the shoulder. It made him stumble for a moment then he continued his charge. Deepfreeze side stepped him then stuck out his foot and tripped the android. It was just as Deepfreeze suspected. Kireek was running completely on rage. There was no battle tactics or training in this attack. It was pure hate and anger which made him very dangerous. Kireek jumped to his feet and charged again. Deepfreeze fired twice hitting him in the chest. The android jumped back and glared at the ranger for a moment before running out the door. Deepfreeze stowed his gun then turned to the others.

“Looks like he’s our top priority now.”

“Yes, he’s like a wounded animal now.” Montague nodded, “We can’t let him loose on the ship.”

“Come on Lisa!” Deepfreeze said as he ran off.

“Go with them Elenor.” Montague ordered, “I’ll take care of the Newman.”

Elenor nodded and followed the other rangers.

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

The metal walls of the facility had given way to rock. The temperature steadily increased as the three humans descended into the volcanoes belly. They started seeing the odd vine growing out of the rock and clinging to the wall. They were the same vines that were growing around the alien spacecraft. Striker didn’t seem to notice but Tessa was going ever more worried. The tunnel opened on to a vast cavern with a high dome ceiling. It most likely had been a magma chamber once. Several tunnels branched off in all directions. Some ran up toward the top while others angled down to the heart. Tessa figured these must be feed tubes that had supplied the chamber with hot magma. It was hot and humid in here but nothing to suggest they were in any kind of danger. Humidity meant there was a source of water nearby. Tessa hoped that was a good sign. Striker looked around then shrugged.

“So which one do we check first?” He shrugged.

“How about that one?” Devlin pointed with his good arm.

“Why that one?” Tessa asked.

“It’s the closest.” Devlin smiled, “And it looks like it leads back to the facility.”

“So?” Striker frowned slightly.

“Demoneye would try to circle around and return to the facility to rendezvous with us.” Devlin explained, “It’s his kind of strategy.”

“I didn’t know he had any strategy.” Striker mumbled.

“What?” Devlin asked.

“Nothing!” Striker snapped, “Let’s go!”

They entered the tunnel just as something screamed from the chamber. Devlin turned to see an alien charging at them. He let out a sharp yelp and fumbled for his hand gun. Striker pushed past him and stood with his Red Sword.

“Run!” He yelled.

Tessa grabbed Devlin's arm and dragged him up the tunnel. The alien reached Striker swinging its Talons wildly. Striker took a full swing. It didn’t do any damage but it did knock the alien back. Striker took a stab just as the alien reached out for him. The tip of the sword dug into the aliens palm and continued up the outstretched arm slicing it in half. Orange blood poured like water onto the cave floor. The alien screamed and retreated slightly before charging again. Striker swung again blocking the aliens attack. He tried a stab but the alien knocked the sword to the side. Striker was lucky it only had one arm or he would have been disembowelled right then and there. The alien tried to strike but Striker was able to pull his sword up for the block. The alien spun its rear around faster than Striker could react and grabbed his sword with its pincers. Using more force than Striker could ever dream of possessing, it wrenched the sword from his hands and flung it up with such force the handle drove into the rock. Striker jumped back and used the only viable weapon he had left. He threw his arm out and blasted it with Barta freezing the alien solid. Striker squeezed past the ice block and gave the end of his sword a kick with his boot. It didn’t move. He sighed and drew his hand gun. It quickly blasted away the surrounding rock. The sword fell to the floor with a loud clang. He picked up his weapon and heard a cracking sound. He looked down to see a stream of water flowing around his boot. Striker slowly turned to see the ice fall to pieces around the alien. It turned and growled, staring at him with its eyeless face. Striker shot it with Barta again. It didn’t even slow the creature down. It slowly stalked toward him. As it got closer it started to stumble with each step. Its destroyed arm continued to bleed. The alien let out one last wine and fell motionless on the ground. Striker slowly stepped up to it poking it with his sword. It didn’t move.

“You bleed to death awfully quickly don’t you?” He chuckled.

Yelps echoed up from behind him. More were on their way. Striker bolted up the hallway trying to catch the others. The rock floor turned back into metal plating. He heard a female scream as he rounded the corner. He entered another lab filled with work desks. Tessa was slowly backing away from an alien that was slowly stalking her. Devlin was no where to be seen. Striker charged, leaping onto a desk and skipped across three to try and catch the alien by surprise. He was greeted by an up swinging foot that sent him flying back. He crashed into the side of a desk knocking the wind from his lungs. Pain throbbed through his body. He gasped for air as his lungs slowly refilled. Tessa screamed again. The alien lunged at her with both talons stretched. She dove under a desk and crawled out the other side. She sprang to her feet and felt something clamp around her waist. The alien had snagged her with its pincers. It lifted her off the ground and started for the tunnel. Striker sprang up in front of it.

“Drop her right now!” He ordered.

The alien hissed and charged. Striker swung his sword. The alien blocked with its right then batted him away with its left. Striker crashed into another desk. He sprang to his feet before his brain could register the pain. The alien disappeared down the tunnel. Striker tried to chase after it but it was way too fast. He entered the large magma chamber and stopped. The alien and Tessa were gone. He called out her name but got no reply. She was gone and he had no idea were to start looking. He frantically looked around at each tunnel over and over again. Panic started to kick in. He didn’t know what to do and he couldn’t think straight.

“What do I do?” He started to mumble, “Where do I go? What should I do? HELP!”

A screech answered him. The aliens were coming and they were coming for him. Striker scurried up the tunnel and back into the facility. He quickly crossed the now trashed lab and was about to leave when he heard a soft painful moan. He slowly crossed the room to where the alien had attacked Tessa. There dying on the floor, torn to pieces was Devlin. With every breath his life slipped away. Striker knelt down beside him. He couldn’t even hold Devlin’s hand because it was lying on the floor where his feet should have been.

“Tried to protect her.” Devlin horsed.

“It’s not your fault.” Striker replied, “You tried, and that’s all that matters.”

“Failed.” Devlin coughed, “Failed her.”

“Yes but you fought with honour.” Striker said softly, “That’s important, and you’ll be remembered for it.”

Devlin nodded and drew his last breath. Striker got up and hurried out. He had to find Demoneye and Harris. He ran through two more lab pods with no sign of the two hunters. As he entered a third located near the summit he heard shots from a rifle. It was coming from an open fire door. Outside there was a dirt trail that ran up to the summit. Striker ran up the trail as fast as he could. Harris was at the top firing at an alien. His shots were having no effect. The alien was getting close enough to strike. It would have Harris before striker could get there. He gripped his sword and charged screaming. The alien turned to see its attacker. Harris turned and ran. The alien watched him go then turned to face Striker. He had wanted to distract the creature momentarily which had worked but he had also expected Harris to help not run away. Striker stopped and launched a Foie attack. The fire ball smashed into the creature’s chest. It halted with a screech. This allowed Striker to charge in using his sword like a lance. The tip pierced the aliens shell but a quick swing of its right arm prevented it from going deeper. Striker landed on his side. The edge of his sword sliced into his calf. He yelled out in pain. It had been so sudden and so intense he wasn’t able to keep his composer. The alien charged forward clenching its talons. The talons sprang open and the arms lunged at him. Striker tried to raise his sword but it was pinned beneath him. He watched helplessly as the creature came at him. Time seemed to come to a crawl as Strikers life was about to end. The sun was low in the sky, bright red and set behind the alien. It seemed to grow to a blinding light. He raised his arm to block the light. It seemed to move slowly as well. A large dark object stepped in front of Striker blocking him from the alien. Time resumed its normal speed. Striker climbed to his feet and cast Resta. He turned to face the battle. Demoneye was actually beating the creature back with his sabre. Striker hoisted his sword and attacked the side of the alien. It tried to kick him away but he blocked the foot then drove the sword into the alien’s side. It screeched then kicked him with its rear leg. Striker used the momentum to roll to his feet. A talon swung down catching him in the shoulder. Demoneye blocked the other talon then drove his sabre home. Striker ignored the claw tearing at his right shoulder and some how mustered enough strength with his left to plunge his sword into the creatures chest. The alien gurgled a screech then collapsed. Striker fell to his knees and the talon fell away leaving two large cuts in its path. Demoneye stepped up to him and glared down.

“How bad?” He finally asked.

“Nothing Resta can’t fix.” Striker grumbled.

“This may not be the time but you seem familiar to me.” Demoneye said.

“Probably saw me on the pioneer news.” Striker replied, “I beat the Lazarus monster you know.”

“Yes but that’s not it.” Demoneye shook his head, “Something from the past maybe. Oh well not important right.”

“Right.” Striker moaned as he stood up.

It took a lot of concentration to cast Resta. It healed him physically but now he felt mentally drained. He checked his pack but he only had his hand gun and a few packs of meat left.

“Say you wouldn’t happen to have any fluids on you?”

“No!” Demoneye growled.

“Didn’t think so.” Striker smirked.

“Come, we must find Black Hound!” Demoneye stated.

“What about Harris?” Striker asked.

“That coward can fend for himself!” Demoneye growled, “Where is your servant?”

“They captured her.” Striker replied, “We have to find her.”

“She is dead.” Demoneye said coldly, “Black Hound is all that matters now.”

“If Black Hound is being held here then chances are he’s been taken by these creatures!” Striker yelled, “We find the girl; we find Black Hound!”

Demoneye thought for a moment then nodded.

“You speak wisdom. Something I would not expect from a peasant.”

“You’ll find I’m full of surprises!” Striker growled.

Demoneye lead Striker back down to the lab pod. Striker wanted so badly to take a swing at the android. It would be easy to cut through his back severing his spinal cord and a few processors as well leaving him paralyzed on the ground. Striker would then stand over him and let him know who had beaten him and why. When the android remembered who he was, Striker would end his life. The only thing stopping him was Tessa. Striker needed Demoneye’s help to get her back.

“Bloody women.” Striker grumbled.

“What did you say?” Demoneye muttered.

“Nothing.” Striker replied.

“You peasants all ways talk a lot but never say anything.” Demoneye said thoughtfully, “You’re lucky you weren’t one of the ones living during our cleansing crusade. Many worthless fleshies were swept away that day. Shame we were not able to complete our quest.”

“What quest?” Striker frowned.

“The android inheritance of Coral.” Demoneye shrugged.

They past through the three labs and entered the tunnel back to the volcanoes interior. Demoneye continued his story but much quieter know.

“Humanity has long since passed its evolutionary existence date. That’s why Newman’s were created. The next step in evolution but man became afraid of what his offspring represented and there fore retarded the process so he could remain the dominant species. Evolution will not be held back so the android was created. Living machine designed after mans own image so it could learn from him and finally take its place as the dominate species. Once again man feared his own destiny and fought back delaying the universes great plan. The cosmos will sting you for that. One day we casts will take our rightful place.”

“You’re insane.” Striker muttered.

“What!” Demoneye snapped.

“Uh if this is true then why haven’t you wiped us out and taken over Ragol?” Striker asked.

“We do not have enough believers yet.” Demoneye replied, “When we do then we will take our rightful place.”

“I’ll keep my eyes open then.” Striker nodded.

“Don’t worry.” Demoneye grinned evilly, “Those who serve and aid us will be rewarded with a swift and painless death.”

“Thanks.” Striker muttered.

They entered the magma chamber. It was empty and very quiet. Demoneye scanned each tunnel then turned to Striker.

“Which tunnel did they enter?”

“I don’t know!” Striker snapped, “I can’t run as fast as them. They were gone by the time I got here!”

“You are not much help.” Demoneye growled.

“Let’s think this through.” Striker sighed, “We know they are heading deep underground so we can eliminate all the tunnels going up. That leaves six possible tunnels. I wouldn’t be surprised to find several connect lower down. In fact if these are feed tubes like I suspect then they should all end up at the same place.”

“The belly of the volcano!” Demoneye announced, “Move!”

Striker growled and headed for the tunnel directly across from him. Demoneye followed right on his heels. Striker stopped at the entrance. Hot humid air poured out. Striker wiped his brow, hoisted his sword and headed down. They followed the tunnel until it ended at a shaft. Striker examined the shaft walls carefully. It was full of holes and scratches from the alien’s claws as they climbed up and down. He looked down the shaft and saw flickering light similar to that of a flame. There was either fire burning or exposed lava. There was quite a bit of heat flowing up the shaft too.

“They went down there.” Striker pointed, “It’s been heavily traveled. I wish I had brought my climbing gear.”

“I can descend this.” Demoneye said.

“I can’t.” Striker shook his head.

“Then you don’t.” Demoneye replied.

“It’s not a good idea to split up.” Striker glared.

“I do not need assistance.” Demoneye growled, “I let you come because you were convenient. Only another android would be of any real use to me.”

“You are underestimating them.” Striker pointed, “You need my help.”

“Hardly!” Demoneye laughed, “Now out of my way human!”

He pushed past Striker and began climbing down the shaft. Striker watched until the android disappeared in the lower tunnel. He cursed the android then turned back to look for another way down. Three more tunnels also ended in vertical shafts. The fourth had a steep drop in it but with a little luck and a whole lot of skill, Striker managed to traverse the slope. The tunnel system was dark but small flames burning from gas vents in the walls provided just enough light to keep Striker from stumbling. He rounded a corner and froze. The sound of clicking claws echoed from ahead. He frantically looked around and said a quick prayer as he spotted a small crevice hidden in the shadows. He quickly squeezed in and deactivated the photon blade on his Red Sword. Two aliens crawled by on the ceiling. Striker held his breath until he was sure they were gone. He peered out and checked the tunnel before climbing out of the hole. He stowed the sword in its sheath on his back and crept deeper into the volcanoes interior. He heard more clicking and some growls. He ducked into a connecting corridor and bunkered down. Three chatty aliens walked by. Striker quietly slipped out and scurried down the tunnel. The aliens didn’t pursue him. Two close calls that he had managed to stay undetected. He was starting to fell quite proud of himself. He rounded a corner and ran into the back of an alien. It was carrying one of the test subjects from the lab. Striker jumped back and drew his sword. The alien twisted around and hissed at him. Striker clenched his sword ready for the attack. The alien turned and walked away. Striker lowered his sword and scratched his head.

“That was weird.” He frowned.