Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

Striker slowly followed the tunnel down until it ended at a giant chamber full of flowing rivers of lava. Aliens were scurrying about. There were several tunnels leading into this chamber from the same wall that Striker stood against. Only one on the far side didn’t have lava flowing out of it. A steady line of aliens were entering the cave and exiting. Each one exiting was carrying a giant bolder that they would drop into one of the rivers then line up again. They were digging a tunnel but to where, Striker didn’t know. He spotted an alien to his far left and entered a solitary tunnel that angled up every so slightly. He cautiously entered the tunnel making it half way when several aliens burst out of a tunnel screeching. This stirred the others to action and within seconds the whole cave was going nuts. Striker started to back away. Two alien bodies flew out of the tunnel. They had been torn to pieces. Demoneye charged out swinging his sabre. He tore into the closest alien making short work of it. Striker stood in awe of him. For the moment it appeared that he really didn’t need any help. Every alien that charged at him found a sabre stabbed into their chest then torn out the side. Demoneye moved faster then any android Striker had ever seen. He had obviously received some upgrades recently. Demoneye took out several more before the hoard finally overcame him. The aliens piled on top. Android parts went flying. The aliens slowly went back to their tasks leaving android pieces scattered everywhere. Demoneye looked like he had been through a shredder. Striker dropped his sword and fell to his knees. His personal quest was over just like that. He felt cheated. He had vowed to restore his family honour by making these androids pay but instead they died in battle like soldiers. A tear fell from his good eye. They were the lowest form of scum. They didn’t desire this kind of death. Anger welled up inside of him. He found himself crying not from sorrow but from rage. If he couldn’t have revenge on the androids then he’d take revenge on the androids killers. He picked up his sword and climbed to his feet. He was about to charge at the aliens but he saw Tessa standing in front of him staring disapprovingly.

“Don’t be stupid.” She said, “Getting your self killed now won’t help any one. Don’t let the old Striker control you. Use your head. You promised to keep me safe.”

Striker shook his head and Tessa was gone. She was right of course. He had to be smart. If he died now so did she. He had to find her. He cautiously made his way to the cave. Twice he nearly ran into an alien. Twice the aliens simply hissed at him then continued on their way. Striker couldn’t figure out why they now ignored him like he wasn’t important. It was like they no longer saw him as a threat or they had found something more important. Striker stopped at the tunnel entrance. He could see more of the alien vines growing out of the walls. The cover became heavier farther down the tunnel. Striker quickly found himself walking on the vines as he proceeded down the tunnel. The tunnel ended with a small cavern. The cave was blanketed in vines. Several scientists and test subjects were wrapped in vines hanging from the walls. Only their heads were left uncovered. Striker looked around and spotted Tessa on the far wall. He hurried over to her and touched her cheek. It was still warm.

“Tessa.” He said softly, “Tessa wake up.”

She moaned and slowly opened her eyes. Striker was beaming at her.

“Thank goodness you’re alright!”

“Striker!” She smiled, “Get me outa here!”

He nodded then spotted Tessa’s combat knife lying on the ground. He scooped it up and began to cut through the vines. The whole room started moving. The vines came alive like a can of worms. Striker stowed the knife and drew his sword. With two careful swings Tessa was free. The squirming became more violent making it difficult for the humans to walk. Tessa tripped and fell. The vines began to wrap around her legs.

“Striker!” She called, “Help!”

Striker spun around and with a mighty chop of his sword, freed the girl. He hauled her to her feet and dragged her along. They rushed into the tunnel, making it halfway. Three aliens stood blocking the path. Striker gripped his sword. One he could deal with. Three was impossible. Tessa squeezed his arm.

“What do we do?” She asked.

“Do you know any techniques?” He asked.

“I’m not a hunter.” Tessa shook her head.

“Didn’t think so.” Striker sighed.

The aliens held their talons up ready to grab the humans. Striker readied for the attacks.

“Fire in the hole!” Some one yelled.

A small metal object flew from behind the aliens. It exploded over them releasing a purple cloud. The aliens twitched and snorted then started attacking each other.

“Confuse trap!” Striker cried, “Run!”

He dragged Tessa forward strafing to the right to avoid a swinging talon. They squeezed up against the wall ducking and jumping the fast moving legs. Striker squeezed free then pulled Tessa out just as an abdomen crashed into the rock. Striker let out a deep breath then went to thank his rescuer. Harris stood grinning at them.

“You!” Striker pointed.

“I felt guilty about leaving you to fight that alien after you helped me.” Harris shrugged.

“I’m still mad at you for that.” Striker frowned, “But I’m glad you came back.”

“Guys.” Tessa interrupted pointing at the aliens, “Time to go!”

The effects of the trap had worn off. The aliens stood for a moment trying to figure out what had happened. One looked over at the humans and growled.

“Busted.” Striker muttered.

The trio bolted for the nearest tunnel. A screech went out calling everyone in the cavern. Aliens from every direction poured on their position. Striker drew his hand gun and blasted the tunnel entrance as soon as the others past through. The rock sealed the entrance way but with the alien’s strength it wouldn’t stay that way for long. They hurried up the tunnel as quickly as their legs would carry them. They could hear the aliens in the nearby tunnels as they raced to the joining cavern ahead. The humans had to beat them there or they’d never survive. Harris was in the lead but came to a skidding halt.

“What are you doing?” Striker shouted.

“The tunnel ends here.” Harris replied.

Striker stopped beside Harris and looked up. It was one of the shafts he had encountered earlier. There was no way to climb up. Sounds of claws and growling echoed up from behind them.

“They’ve broken through the block.” Tessa sighed.

“What do we do?” Harris quivered, “What do we do?”

Striker drew his sword and activated the photon blade. The glow from the energized metal bathed everything in a red aura. Striker stepped in front of the others and took a defensive stance ready for the charge.

“Take as many as we can.” He growled.

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

The jungle became denser the deeper they went. The vegetation was changing too. It was becoming more and more vine like. These sickly green vines were very different from anything Falcon had seen before. He wasn’t sure but he almost suspected that they could move. Once or twice he swore he saw one wind its way up a tree but when he looked at it, it stopped. The ground had a gentle down ward slope and its moister content was slowly growing as well. Sahara had no trouble following him but the other two girls were falling behind. Falcon finally stopped to let them catch up.

“Thank you.” Nikki puffed, “I swear these vines are trying to slow us down.”

“Must be your imagination.” Falcon grumbled.

“Now Falcon, you have to admit they are very strange.” Sahara replied, “And I think I’ve actually seen them move.”

“I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure these things aren’t from Ragol.” Crystal said.

“You suspect they came from that alien vessel.” Falcon frowned.

“I do.” Crystal nodded.

“I agree.” Falcon said and continued on.

The ground finally levelled out with a thick wall of vines blocking their path. Falcon drew his Yamato and quickly cut a hole. Inside was a clearing domed by the vines. At the center lay the egg shaped space craft. All around it the vines had formed a hard smooth carpet. Falcon cautiously stepped in. The girls slowly followed. Nikki was the last one. The vines closed the hole behind her.

“Hey!” She cried spinning around.

Falcon turned and glared at her. She shrugged and pointed at the wall.

“They sealed us in!”

“So the vines do move.” Sahara said rubbing her chin, “This does not speak well for us.”

“I don’t see any aliens.” Crystal said holding her Summit Moon tight with both hands.

“That is were our answer lays.” Falcon pointed at the ship with a Yamato.

The group slowly closed in on the craft. They found an open hatch at the large end. Falcon slowly stepped inside listening for any sign of danger.

“I hate to admit it.” He said softly to Sahara, “I could really use that Newman’s sharp hearing right now.”

“Who?” Sahara frowned, “Amanda!”

Falcon said nothing, He continued on with out even looking at her.

“You like her.” Sahara beamed, “My big tough brother is finally starting to warm up.”

“Keep this quiet woman!” Falcon growled.

Sahara just laughed and patted his shoulder.

“What’s so funny?” Crystal frowned.

“What’d we miss?” Nikki asked.

“Nothing!” Falcon snapped.

The girls frowned at each other then giggled. Falcon let out a soft growl and continued around the corner. The ship was composed of winding twisted tunnels that didn’t seem to lead any where. Falcon finally stopped at another Tee junction. Sahara stopped beside him. She checked both corridors then shrugged.

“No aliens here either.”

“This isn’t getting us anywhere.” Falcon growled.

“These tunnels are all composed of those vines.” Crystal said, “If they can move as well as the ones out side then it’s possible they are changing these tunnels to keep us away from any vital areas.”

“You seem awful smart for a receptionist.” Falcon shot.

“That’s just a job.” Crystal shrugged, “I wasn’t making any money as a hunter. Besides I don’t do that much any more.”

“Leave her alone Falcon.” Sahara said.

Falcon shot Sahara an angry scowl.

“So how do we solve this vine problem?” Nikki asked.

“Same way we solved it before.” Falcon growled.

He took three mighty swings. A square section of the wall fell to the floor in a large clump. Falcon stood looking very proud of him self. Sahara and Crystal stepped through the opening. Nikki stopped beside Falcon.

“I’ve never seen any one put a plant in its place quite like you.” She smiled.

Falcon growled. Nikki giggled and ran through the hole. Falcon shook his head then followed his team. He sliced through the next wall and then the next. He continued this until they reached the mid point of the ship. He stepped up to the wall in front of him and made two vertical cuts. On his horizontal cut just above his head he felt his katana hit something solid. His Yamato cut through with very little effort but it was definitely different then cutting plants. The vines fell with a hard thump. Blood was dripping from the top of the door way. Sahara let a drop fall on her finger. She did a quick analysis and turned to the others.

“It’s human.” She said solemnly.

“What did you do?” Crystal gasped.

Falcon stepped through the door to set what he’d hit. The top section of a human male still hung wrapped in vines. Falcon had got him right through the chest. The man was still dressed in his lab coat. Sahara stepped through and stopped shaking her head slowly. She wasn’t looking at Falcon’s victim. Nikki came through next. She squeezed by so the blood wouldn’t drip on her. She turned around and let out a yelp.

“What is it now?” Falcon grumbled turning to her

There was a Newman female FO hanging directly in front of her. The collar of her lab coat was sticking up out of the vines. Crystal stepped through next and gasped as she looked around.

“Who are they?” She asked.

“Lab workers.” Falcon said, “The facility has been compromised.”

“This is very bad.” Sahara shook her head, “If they found the experiments or worse the D-cell samples.”

“Do we even know these are from Lazarus’ lab?” Nikki asked.

“Yes.” Crystal replied.

She was standing in front of one of the cross mutated creatures hanging on the wall. The flesh parts were mummified. Some of the android components appeared to have been torn out. There was a huge hole in its belly. Some fluid lines and wires hung silently. The others stopped and stared at it.

“Lazarus did get his work out.” Falcon grumbled, “So who was running the show?”

“What do you think happened to him?” Nikki whispered to Crystal.

“My guess.” Crystal shrugged, “Eaten.”

Nikki let out a soft whimper. Falcon turned and followed the bodies down the corridor. His team followed checking each person as they went.

“Shouldn’t we be getting these people out?” Nikki asked at last.

“On our way out.” Falcon replied, “I can not guarantee their safety if we release them now.”

“Hopefully no one will eat them before we get back.” Crystal muttered.

Sahara pulled into the lead then stopped. She was waving them over. Falcon rushed up to her.

“What?”

“Recognize him?” Sahara asked pointing at the body.

Crystal gasped. “It’s Doctor Mome!”

“He’s the lead man?” Nikki frowned.

“He got away from me but not them.” Falcon smirked.

“I’ll cut him down.” Sahara said, “Maybe he can supply us with some answers.”

She drew a dagger and carefully cut Mome loose. He fell to the ground with a thud.

“Falcon!” Sahara scolded.

“What?” Falcon shrugged.

“You were supposed to catch him.” Sahara frowned.

“The bump will do him good.” Falcon replied.

Mome groaned and sat up.

“See.” Falcon smiled, “He’s fine.”

“Don’t get smug.” Sahara waved a finger.

“What happened?” Mome grumbled.

“We were hoping you could tell us.” Crystal said crossing her arms.

Mome looked around for a moment then jumped to his feet. He looked absolutely terrified. He looked back and forth watching each corridor while mumbling some thing.

“Doctor?” Sahara said.

Mome didn’t appear to have heard her.

“Doctor!” Falcon shouted.

Mome snapped to attention.

“What is going on here?” Falcon asked.

“I’m not sure but I think most of my staff is here.” Mome sputtered, “I think they are eating us. Did you see the drained bodies?”

Every one nodded.

“They did that.” Mome pointed.

“How many are there?” Sahara asked.

“I have no idea!” Mome snapped, “I’ve been strapped to a bloody wall!”

“Maybe if we find the bridge we’ll get some answers.” Crystal said.

“That’s assuming there is a bridge.” Mome said.

“What do you mean?” Falcon growled.

“In case you haven’t noticed but this is a living ship.” Mome frowned, “It may not need a bridge.”

“Can’t hurt to look.” Sahara shrugged.

“Yes it can.” Mome snapped, “It can kill you.”

“Shut up!” Falcon growled, “Or I’ll put you back on the wall!”

“Yes um.” Mome whimpered.

“Better.” Falcon nodded.

He looked down each corridor then started down the one in front of him. The others shrugged and followed. The line of bodies thinned out the farther they went. The frequency of mummified and mutilated bodies increased as well. The light started to increase and they began to hear growling and hissing. There were aliens ahead and it sounded like a lot of them. Falcon signalled for his group to halt then proceeded alone. The corridor ended in a giant chamber. Falcon quietly peered inside. It was round and domed just like the cover surrounding the ship. The floor was covered in what could only be giant pods. A giant alien was stuck to the far wall. In fact its body actually grew into the wall becoming the vines. Several of the smaller aliens were crawling all over it and cutting parts of it away from the wall. The giant alien started heaving and vomited a pod. One of the aliens quickly collected it then carried it off through another corridor. Falcon frowned then hurried back to the others.

“Falcon what…” Sahara began.

“That is not the way to the bridge.” He shook his head, “I think I found the mother alien.”

“What!” Crystal gasped.

“It looks like they are moving it.” Falcon said.

“We have to stop them.” Sahara said, “If they get loose on the planet.”

“Relax; they are trapped on this island.” Falcon waved, “And there are too many for us to handle alone. I hate to say this but we should get the civilians out first.”

“It is our duty as Guardians of Pioneer.” Nikki tapped her badge.

“Indeed.” Falcon grumbled.

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

Falcon slowly turned and headed back down the corridor. There was nothing he wanted to do more then rush into that room with swords swinging and take out every last alien but that would be suicide and if there was one thing he hated more than walking away from a fight it was dying. They freed as many living people as they could find choosing to leave all the experiments behind. Mome had insisted they were far too dangerous in their undeveloped stages. Falcon had seen first hand what these things were capable of and didn’t wish to face them again. The old holes he had cut had grown over so he and his team quickly cut new ones. They couldn’t find the hatch they had entered earlier forcing Falcon to make a new one. This caused the entire ship to shudder.

“I think we just got their attention.” Sahara said.

“Indeed.” Falcon grumbled, “Take the lead and cut every one an exit.”

She rushed out the hole and over to the vine wall. Falcon quickly waved everyone out. Sahara made an exit hole then led everyone back towards the beach. When half of them had gone, Crystal exited to provide mid point protection. Nikki went after the last scientist followed by Falcon who saw three aliens closing in on them.

“Run!” He yelled.

Everyone started pushing through the hole which actually slowed things down. Nikki tried to regain order but panic had set in. Falcon backed up to the group ready for the attack. Nikki continued to jump and yell but she was lost in the group. No one paid any attention to a teenager during the best of times; they surely weren’t going to pay attention to one now. The aliens filed out of the hole and let out a blood curdling screech that made everyone freeze. They turned and stared. The lead alien barked and charged. The group screamed and began pushing again preventing anyone from getting away. Nikki pushed as hard as she could but the aliens got to the group before she could reach Falcon. Falcon met the lead the alien head on while the other two tore into a couple of scientists. This caused the group to disperse. Nikki intercepted another alien before it could grab a young Newman woman HU leaving the third to chomp down on an older human male. Some of the scientists double backed and escaped out the hole. The loose alien quickly moved around to block the hole until it grew over. Falcon blocked a swing then took a stab. The alien twisted out of the way then swung down knocking Falcon to his back. The alien thrust its talons forward. Falcon quickly crossed his Yamato to block the attack. He kicked up catching the alien in its second segment. He heard a distinctive crack and hoped it was the aliens shell and not his leg. The alien yelped and slashed. Falcon twisted his blade up so the alien caught his tip right in the palm. The blade tore into the talon. The alien instinctively retracted its arm doing even more damage. Falcon quickly jabbed with the other piercing the shell in the alien’s chest. It grabbed Falcon with its good arm digging its talon deep into his chest. Damage messages flooded his mind. He ignored them and drove his other Yamato into the creature’s chest. It let out a squeal and began pulling out his chest plate. The metal crunched as it started to tare free. Falcon pulled a katana free then drove it up through the alien’s skull. It let out one last gurgle and fell on top of him. His internal systems were registering a fluid leak. He pushed the alien off and sat up. A small stream of clear red hydraulic fluid was leaking from one of the talon holes. It wasn’t urgent and his self repair system should be able to handle it. Nikki screamed as her alien grabbed her by the upper arm. It lifted her off the ground then tilted its head at her.

“Let me down!” She yelled swinging her sabre.

Falcon jumped to his feet and charged. The other alien flew past him chasing a couple of scientists. Falcon knew he should help them but his team mates came first. The alien didn’t see him until it was too late. Falcon drove the tip of his katana into the aliens fore arm. It dropped Nikki then swung around catching Falcon in the chest. Nikki leapt to her feet and drove her sabre into the aliens exposed side. It kicked her away with a foreleg. She jumped up and cast Zonde. The alien spasm then stepped back. Falcon charged forward plunging one katana into its arm pit and the other into the alien’s forward hip joint. The limbs spasm then stopped functioning. Nikki rushed forward dodging a swinging talon which Falcon intercepted. She grabbed her sabre and pulled it free. Falcon grabbed the alien by the wrist and refused to let go. The alien lifted him off the ground and began swinging him around. Nikki ducked as Falcon flew over her head. She came up driving the sabre into its chest. The alien dropped Falcon and took a swing at Nikki. She jumped back and blasted it with Zonde. The bolt of electricity bounced of the creatures shell.

“Crap.” She spat.

Falcon charged driving both blades into the creatures third section then pulled down slicing it open. The alien took a couple of steps then collapsed. The hunters turned to deal with the last one. It had taken out half of the trapped scientists. Falcon counted eleven remaining. Pieces of bodies were spread everywhere. The alien was closing in on three who were huddled up against the ship.

“You cut a new exit hole and get these people out!” Falcon ordered, “I’ll deal with him.”

Nikki nodded and took off for the remaining group of scientists. Falcon bolted for the alien. He reached it just as it tore into another scientist. Within seconds she was nothing more than a pile of blood and flesh. Falcon jumped onto the creatures back driving a Yamato blade into its top section. He stepped up on the hilt and drove the second blade into the top of the alien’s skull.

“Run for the exit!” He yelled.

The two remaining scientist ran as fast as their legs would carry them. Nikki waved them forward as the others filed out. The alien slowly slumped to the ground with Falcon still on its back. He pulled his blades out and nodded feeling quite proud. He heard something to his right. Slowly he turned his head and came face to face with three aliens who had their heads sticking out of a hole. Falcon slowly backed away. The aliens crawled out of the hole followed by three more.

“Falcon run!” Nikki called.

Falcon wanted to fight but dying was not on his agenda today. He cursed to himself then turned and ran. The aliens charged after him. He fixed himself on Nikki and the exit. The aliens were right on his heals. Nikki stepped through the hole and waited. To their horror the hole started to close. Nikki raised her sabre to chop back the growth but a deep hiss behind her stopped her cold.

“No, please no.” She prayed.

They hadn’t gotten very far when Crystal noticed the others weren’t with them. She stopped and looked back. There were only ten scientists behind her. They quickly ran by. She waited but the others didn’t follow.

“Sahara!” She called.

Sahara halted the group and ran back to see what was wrong.

“Nikki and Falcon are missing.” Crystal explained, “Some of the scientists are missing too.”

“Get everyone back to the beach.” Sahara ordered, “I’ll go back for them.”

Sahara disappeared into the bush. Crystal turned and waved everyone forward. The beach seemed so far away and she could hear barking from the few aliens that were nearby. She expected an attack at any moment. She ran until she could hear the waves ahead. Maybe they’d make it after all. Two aliens jumped out in front of her. She instinctively cast Gibarta freezing them solid.

“Run!” She screamed.

All but three ran to the beach. They took up positions beside her. Two were human males and one was a male Newman.

“What are you doing?” She cried.

“We’re forces too.” The Newman replied, “We’re going to help you get to the beach.”

“Thank you but…” Crystal started.

The ice shattered as the creatures broke free. Crystal blasted them again with no effect.

“I don’t get it.” She frowned, “That’s my most powerful element.”

“Let’s try some fire.” One human force said.

He stepped forward with the Newman at his side. The aliens howled and moved closer. The forces cast Rafoie. Two large explosions erupted around the aliens. They screamed as their bodies turned charcoal black.

“Good job Tony.” The Newman smiled.

“Thank you Francisco.” Tony bowed.

The aliens snarled and took a step forward.

“Uh oh.” The forces said and stepped back.

“Time for Jackson to shine.” The last man said.

He blasted them Gizonde. It hardly fazed them.

“This is bad.” Jackson said stepping back.

“What do we have left?” Tony asked.

“Grants and Megid.” Francisco replied.

“I hate Megid.” Crystal quivered, “All that hate and death always leaves me feeling cold inside.”

“Grants it is.” Jackson nodded.

The four forces targeted the lead alien. Four light blasts erupted from the creature. It let out a horrific wail and collapsed. The forces did it twice more. The last alien just shook it off then continued toward them.

“One left.” Tony pointed, “We’ll have to Megid it.”

“No.” Crystal sighed, “Not that!”

“Sorry girl.” Francisco said gripping her shoulder, “Time to ball up all those bad feelings into one ugly ball.”

Crystal closed her eyes and reached deep down inside searching for the hate filled evil force that slept in every one. Fortunately for Crystal hers wasn’t very big. Unfortunately this meant her Megid was a fairly low level. She bundled up every nasty feeling; every evil thought she ever had.

“Now!” Jackson shouted.

Crystal threw her arm out. A big purple ball launched from her palm. It hit the alien along with three others. The alien yelped and fell dead. Crystal shivered from the cold that passed through her soul.

“To the beach.” She said.

They scurried out onto the sand where the others were already filing into a telepipe. Crystal waited until the last person stepped in then turned and ran as fast as she could.

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

“No, please no.” Nikki prayed.

The alien took a swing. Nikki closed her eyes and raised her arm waiting for the strike. It never came. She looked up to see Sahara dead locked with the creature.

“Sahara.” Nikki smiled.

“Get that hole open!” Sahara barked.

Nikki turned and quickly slashed the vines back. Falcon burst through the opening leaving a small metal object floating in the opening. Nikki jumped back just as the freeze trap exploded. The entire door way was sealed with ice. Sahara pushed the alien back then swung at its chest. It blocked her attack but could do nothing about Falcon and Nikki. They plunged their weapons into the creature’s sides. It let out a wail as it slumped to the ground. Falcon nodded with approval.

“Now Doctor.” He began turning to face the doctor, “Hey where’s Mome?”

The others looked around the shrugged.

“He wasn’t with the other scientists.” Crystal said.

“Do you think he’s one of the piles of flesh in there?” Nikki shivered.

“No, he came through the hole after me.” Crystal replied, “He disappeared when Sahara came back for you. I’m sure of that.”

“Then he must have headed to the facility.” Falcon grumbled, “Let’s go.”

The top of the vine dome peeled open. The hunters turned to watch as the giant alien climbed out. Two large wings unfolded from its back. They were transparent and full of wrinkles and holes. They were in no shape for carrying their owner very far. With three large flaps the creature lifted off and turned to the volcano. It sped away with amazing speed coming to a rest on the volcanoes rim. It let out one giant screech then crawled inside. The hunters stood silent for a moment.

“This is starting to make sense.” Crystal said breaking the silence.

“Please, fill us in.” Falcon growled.

“Did you see how old that thing looked?” Crystal asked.

“Not really.” Nikki shrugged.

“The wings.” Crystal pointed to the volcano.

“They were very beaten up!” Sahara nodded.

“For a queen creature like that who spends most of its life in the nest, it takes years of wear to get like that.” Crystal explained.

“How many years?” Sahara asked.

“For something that big?” Crystal frowned, “Hundreds.”

“If it sets up a new nest we might never get rid of this thing!” Nikki gasped.

“Right.” Crystal nodded.

“Then we must kill it!” Falcon announced, “Forward!”

Nikki and Crystal rolled their eyes and followed their leader through the jungle. The front doors of the facility had been pried open. Claw marks were everywhere. Tire marks ran down the center of the hallway along with a trail of drying orange liquid. They could hear aliens barking deep within the facility. Falcon headed to his right following the tracks and liquid. The vehicle was parked in front of the door. The trail of liquid ran under the door. There was a couple of claw marks in the door which told Falcon an alien had forced the doors open. He hit the door switch. It slid open. Nikki let out a soft gasp. Lying at the far door was a dead alien.

“This is a good sign.” Sahara nodded.

“Indeed, the driver did not die here.” Falcon mumbled.

They hurried down the tunnel and into the lab. Falcon past through it without looking at anything. The others were a little slower. The next room contained stasis tubes from Lazarus facility. Everyone was broken and empty. They continued on until they found a corridor that lead to the volcanoes interior. Falcon stopped to listen for danger before heading down. They entered a large chamber with several tunnels leading away. Falcon studied each one the chose the first tunnel on his right that lead down. They started down the tunnel when they heard several alien screams.

“This isn’t such a good idea!” Nikki blurted.

Some one in the tunnel started yelling something. He was answered by another. The voices were distorted but audible. Falcon bolted down the tunnel with his team right behind him. He stopped at a shaft. He could see a human ranger and a woman standing at the bottom.

“Hey, need some help?” Falcon called.

The two humans looked up.

“Falcon?” Striker replied poking his head up.

“You!” Falcon glared.

“If it’s not too much trouble, we could use a lift!” Striker said.

“Falcon, if you lower me and Nikki down we should be able to reach them.” Sahara said.

Falcon nodded. Sahara grabbed Nikki by the ankles and Falcon grabbed her. He quickly lowered them down.

“Climb on.” Nikki waved.

Everyone quickly grabbed tight around her body.

“Hey watch what you’re grabbing!” She scolded Striker.

“Sorry.” He smiled and released his grip on her chest.

He couldn’t see Tessa’s glare but he could feel the anger. Four aliens came storming down the tunnel.

“Up please.” Nikki squeaked.

Falcon hoisted them up just as a talon flew at her head. They scrambled to their feet and Strikers group started to run.

“Where are you going?” Falcon called.

“Run!” Striker called back.

Falcon shrugged and looked down the shaft. Several aliens were climbing up. Too many for them to fight.

“Run!” He barked.

He took off at full speed. The girls weren’t quite as fast as the androids but managed to catch up to the other humans. They didn’t stop until they reached the top lab pod where they could seal the doors. The androids waited for the humans to catch their breath.

“What are you guys doing here?” Striker puffed.

“We were sent to investigate this ship.” Sahara replied, “It attacked Pioneer Two.”

“I thought you were up in the north hunting those androids?” Falcon glared.

“I followed them here.” Striker replied.

“Wait, you wanted to kill Dirge and Demoneye?” Harris gasped, “Why?”

“They murdered my family when I was a child.” Striker growled.

“And his eye.” Tessa pointed.

“I understand.” Harris nodded, “I’m sorry you never got to avenge your family.”

“What does he mean?” Crystal asked.

“The aliens killed them.” Striker muttered.

“Oh.” Crystal replied looking away.

“You’re obviously a RAmar.” Sahara said to Harris.

“Alexander Harris.” Harris bowed, “Of Black Paper.”

Everyone turned and stared at him.

“I’m guessing no one here likes Black Paper.” Harris cringed.

“It’s been our job to put you out of one.” Nikki replied tapping her badge.

“Guardians.” Harris sighed, “Just my luck.”

“That’s not important right now.” Striker spoke up, “We have a common enemy now. We need to worry about them not who’s criminal and who’s not.”

“He’s right.” Sahara nodded, “And who is she?”

“This is Tessa.” Striker said, “She’s been surviving in the artic ever since she got lost. Get this, she’s from Pioneer One.”

“Really.” Crystal smiled, “There’s so much I need to ask you.”

“Don’t bother.” Striker waved, “She doesn’t know anything.”

“I got lost right after we arrived.” Tessa shrugged.

“Oh.” Crystal sighed, “Never mind.”

“The mother alien just landed here from the ship.” Falcon announced, “We have to take it out before she can establish a new nest.”

“It’s more complicated than that.” Striker shook his head.

“What do you mean?” Sahara frowned.

“These guys are tunnelling some where.” Striker said, “I checked the positioning map on my arm pad and they are tunnelling in the direction of the Central Dome.”

“They can’t dig that far.” Crystal shook her head, “My guess would be they are digging a new nest.”

“May be the lab can help.” Falcon said tapping his communicator, “Elly, Elly come in.”

He was greeted with static.

“Great, we’ve lost contact with the ship.” He muttered.

“This is becoming a very annoying trend.” Striker grumbled.

“That queen thing can fly right?” Nikki said.

“She’d never make the distance with her wings.” Crystal replied.

“Ya but what about a new queen?” Nikki shrugged.

“If they start a new nest here they could birth a new queen.” Crystal nodded, “Or several queens.”

“Which would spread across Ragol like a plague.” Sahara gasped.

“We can’t take all those things on by our selves!” Striker gasped.

“The telepipe still works on the beach.” Crystal said, “If we go back we could get help.”

“It’s all we got.” Sahara said turning to her brother.

“Let’s go.” Falcon nodded.

Nikki started to open the hatch when she spotted two aliens pass by the door in the next lab. Three more followed the first two. She quickly locked the door and spun around.

“Maybe we should wait until it dies down a little first.”

Falcon stepped up to the door and peered through the small window spotting the group of aliens in the next lab. He turned and sighed.

“We will wait here until they lose interest.”

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

Gal Da Val Island was just as Cerberus had left it. The mountain air was crisp and fresh. The warm sun shone down on the small group making them feel better than they should. Lisa had come here hunting Del Spiders but most of their activity had moved to the seaside area. The transporter had brought them directly to the mountain area instead of the Central Control Area. Cerberus assumed the attack must have damaged the transporter. In the distance he could see a Gibbles watching over his Ul Gibbons. He counted seven Ul Gibbons and suspected more were nearby. The trouble was they were sitting right were Cerberus needed to take his team. He signalled his team forward. Amanda and Aphrodite followed with HitmanJ talking up the rear. Cerberus stopped at a thick patch of bushes.

“Keep an eye on Gibbles.” He said, “I’m going to snipe the Gibbons.”

“He his not going to like that.” HitmanJ replied.

“I know.” Cerberus sighed.

He aimed his Justy and carefully started taking head shots. After the third one went down the whole group went nuts.

“Blast!” Cerberus cursed lowering his weapon.

“I think we’ve been spotted.” Aphrodite pointed.

Gibbles came charging right at them. The hunters ran as he leapt into the air. Gibbles landed with a crash. Cerberus turned and fired. Aphrodite blasted him with Foie. Amanda jumped on his back digging her daggers in deep. It was messy but she was digging for his spine. Gibbles spun swinging a massive fist at HitmanJ. Amanda went flying off. HitmanJ dove to the side then let loose with his mechguns. Gibbles fist was blasted to a fleshy pulp. He let out a massive roar. Amanda climbed to her feet and was instantly jumped by an Ul Gibbon. It thrashed at her back. She tried to roll away but it had one hind leg on the nape of her back. She cried for help. Aphrodite turned to help her friend only to be knocked on her back by a Zol Gibbon. Cerberus aimed and fired. The Ul Gibbon collapsed on top of Amanda. Gibbles jumped again landing on Cerberus. His right knee snapped as the massive weight pounded him into the ground. HitmanJ fired again. A Zol Gibbon spit a stream of Zonde at him. He fell flat on his face unable to move. Aphrodite quickly climbed to her feet only to be knocked down again.

“Oh that is it!” Aphrodite screamed.

She jumped to her feet and threw out her arm. A purple ball shot from her palm. The Zol Gibbon fell dead. Aphrodite stood for a minute breathing heavily.

“I did it!” She gasped, “I did Megid, and it worked!”

“Great, how about a hand!” HitmanJ called.

He was firing at two Ul Gibbons who were circling him. Mechguns were more effective as a pair but he had no choice but to use one on each Gibbon.

“Right.” She nodded.

She started to run to HitmanJ but stopped when she heard Amanda calling for help. She ran past Gibbles as it continued to pound Cerberus. She stopped when she saw Amanda was merely stuck.

“I’ll be one minute!” She yelled.

“Sure, I’m not going anywhere.” Amanda sighed.

Aphrodite turned and blasted Gibbles with her cane. Gibbles turned and came charging at her. Cerberus sat up and aimed for the base of the skull. Gibbles fell dead in front of Aphrodite. She nodded and ran for her friend. Cerberus helped HitmanJ take out the remaining Gibbons. Aphrodite carefully pulled the carcass off Amanda. She was slow to get up. The back of her shirt was torn to shreds. Her back wasn’t much better. Aphrodite quickly cast Resta.

“Thanks.” Amanda smiled pulling her shirt back on by the shoulder.

“That thing will never stay on.” Aphrodite shook her head.

“I know.” Amanda frowned, “Worst thing is it tore up my under shirt too so I can’t even take it off.”

“My undershirt should fit you.” Aphrodite smiled, “You can wear it.”

“Thank you.” Amanda grinned, “Let’s go behind those bushes.”

“Good idea.” Aphrodite nodded.

HitmanJ managed to weld Cerberus’ knee together well enough to use. It really needed to be replaced but they didn’t have time for that. Lisa was missing and possibly in danger. He finished just as the girls walked up. He looked up to see Amanda wearing an undershirt.

“Can’t you keep your cloths on for one mission?” He grinned.

“Shut up.” Amanda smiled back.

“I hope we don’t encounter this all the way to the beach.” Aphrodite sighed.

“Me either.” Cerberus replied, “Let’s move.”

They ran into several groups of the islands usual creatures as they made their way through the mountains. Progress was slow which was starting to bother Cerberus. They still had to cross the jungle before reaching the beach and he knew that would be slow. He was right. They encountered not one Mericarol but three. After getting badly beaten up the team finally reached the beach. Cerberus cautiously broke through the bush onto the hot sand. It appeared to be completely devoid of life.

“Clear.” He waved.

The girls hit the sand and collapsed. Amanda’s shorts were badly ripped and her boots weren’t much better. Aphrodite wasn’t in much better shape and even though nothing could be seen she still felt exposed. HitmanJ came through last. His pants were now shorts and his top was long gone. Even his upper body armour couldn’t stand up to the pounding they had taken. Cerberus looked like he had just come from a metal grinder.

“I guess nobody is keeping these things under control any more.” HitmanJ said falling to his butt.

“If that’s true then why is the beach clean?” Cerberus shrugged.

“Ya we’re not even close to the resort property.” Aphrodite frowned.

“This place should be crawling with…” Amanda started.

“Quiet!” Cerberus snapped then whispered, “My sensors are picking up several life forms all around us.”

HitmanJ jumped to his feet drawing his mechguns.

“What type?” He asked.

“Human and Android.” Cerberus replied.

“No Newmans?” Aphrodite asked.

“My sensors read you and humans as the same.” Cerberus shrugged.

“Oh.” Aphrodite replied looking down.

A tall RAmar dressed in black stepped out from the bush. He had a shot aimed at them.

“Drop your weapons!” He said, “You are surrounded and escape is impossible.”

Cerberus nodded to his team and dropped his Justy.

“Nighthawk, I haven’t seen you in quite a while.” Cerberus said.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t Deepfreeze’s right arm.” Nighthawk smirked, “And where is that pesky friend of yours?”

“I haven’t seen him in over a year.” Cerberus replied.

“Yes I know.” Nighthawk grinned evilly.

He started walking slowly around the small group. Several other hunters emerged from the bushes. HitmanJ tightened up clenching his fists. The girls sat looking quite confused.

“Hey, what’s going on?” Amanda asked quietly.

“They’re Black Paper.” HitmanJ replied.

“Uh oh.” Aphrodite gasped.

Nighthawk studied each person carefully before stopping.

“This is quite the little group of white trash you have here.” Nighthawk pointed, “Hardly worthy of the hunter’s guild let alone the Guardians of Pioneer.”

“Hey!” Amanda shouted jumping to her feet.

Several Black Paper members raised their weapons at her. She quickly relaxed and stood quiet.

“My you’re a brave little thing aren’t you?” Nighthawk grinned stepping up to Amanda.

He grabbed her by the chin and looked her over before backing away.

“Pretty but a little too white for me.”

“I’m so disappointed.” Amanda growled.

Nighthawk ignored her. He circled around to face Cerberus. He scratched his chin then shrugged.

“I have a problem here.” He said.

“I know but you just won’t die.” Cerberus shot.

“Funny.” Nighthawk growled, “No you see you aren’t supposed to know we’re here and I can’t let you leave to tell anybody. So my problem is what to do with you.”

“Kill them!” An android yelled.

Nighthawk nodded the shrugged.

“Simply shooting you won’t do for someone as reputable as the famous Cerberus and the ever pesky Hitman.”

“Oh good, I was hoping this would be slow and painful.” HitmanJ grumbled.

“That’s not what you need either.” Nighthawk shook his head, “It needs to be more challenging, more fun. I’ve got it. A hunt!”

“A what?” Aphrodite gasped.

“Yes a hunt.” Nighthawk smiled, “We let you loose in the jungle then my fellow hunters come after you. Of course we can’t let you keep your techniques, that would be just plain foolish.”

He snapped his fingers. Two HUcaseals stepped forward and injected HitmanJ and the girls with a clear liquid. They then relieved Cerberus of his traps and took their equipment packs.

“That’s better.” Nighthawk grinned.

“What did you do?” Aphrodite gasped.

“That was a little something we borrowed from Lazarus.” Nighthawk shrugged.

“Not again.” Amanda groaned.

“Do you have any idea how bad it is for a Newman to lose contact with their mental energy?” HitmanJ cried.

“Not half as bad as what I can do!” Nighthawk shot, “Now I’ll give you ten minutes to make your selves scarce then we come for you!”

The crowd broke out in laughing and cheering. Cerberus’ group just stood there.

“The clock is ticking.” Nighthawk glared, “Go!”

Cerberus slowly turned and led his group into the bush. They took off at a full fun as soon as they hit the plants. Nighthawk smiled as they disappeared then it drained from his face.

“Kill em!”

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

The Black Paper hunters cheered and stormed the bush. The noise drove Cerberus’ team back into the jungle.

“What happened to ten minutes?” Aphrodite panted.

“You didn’t actually believe him?” Cerberus asked.

“Well?” Aphrodite shrugged.

“Less talk more hustle!” Amanda quipped.

They had cleared out most of the creatures on their way through so they should have had a clear path back to the transporter into the mountains. It was the only one currently working. They reached the cascading pools where the Mericarols loved to live. There was one waiting for them.

“No way.” HitmanJ gasped.

“We can’t fight them in our condition!” Amanda cried.

“Then we get off the usual path and head into the deep undergrowth.” Cerberus said as he peeled back a wall of vines.

HitmanJ stepped through first followed by the girls and finally Cerberus. It was slow going but at least they were in deep cover. They rounded one of the jungles many ledges then re-entered the growth. HitmanJ signalled everyone down. A HUcast and a FOmar passed by right in front of them. He waited for them to disappear before jetting across the path. The others silently skipped across. Cerberus was the only android HitmanJ had met that had external sensors and he was glad for that. They stopped at the edge of a deep pool. HitmanJ dropped to his belly and crawled out to the edge. He watched a group of four pass by on the far side. He started to crawl back when the HUnewearl trailing the group stopped and looked in his direction. HitmanJ froze. She seemed to stare forever before a HUmar came back for her.

“What is it?” He asked.

“Thought I heard something.” She replied, “It’s nothing.”

HitmanJ hadn’t realized he’d been holding his breath until they moved on and he let out a deep breath. Cerberus poked his head through the leaves.

“How does it look?” He whispered.

“All clear.” HitmanJ waved.

They quickly strafed the pool edge the shot across the path the hunting party had used. Cerberus checked their position with Cal and sent a message to Elly. The reply that came back was Nighthawk.

“Now you don’t think I’d actually let you contact the ship.” He sneered, “By the way, I used your signal to direct my hunters.”

A shot burned through the growth and just missed Amanda’s head.

“Run!” Cerberus cried.

The team bolted just as the jungle opened up with photon fire. The vines and branches whipped them as they tore through the growth. Amazingly they managed to escape without a single hit. Cerberus’ sensors told him three groups were closing behind him but at least the shooting had stopped. The growth started to thin as they entered the mountain area. Soon their cover would be gone. Their only chance would be to reach the transporter first. They rounded a rock wall and started up the incline. A shot flew past Aphrodite. She didn’t turn to look. Several more shots came at them. Fortunately the paths were very twisted up in the rocks providing them with cover. They just had to stay one step ahead of the hunting parties. Cerberus checked his map. They were getting close. An Ul Gibbon jumped out in front of them. Cerberus knocked it aside allowing the group to run past. He hoped it might slow the hunters down. Another Ul Gibbon and a Zol Gibbon appeared behind them. Cerberus smiled. They would slow Black Paper for sure. They rounded the last corner and stopped just in front of the transporter.

“What?” HitmanJ grumbled then gasped.

The transporter had been deactivated. They were now trapped. The hunting party would reach them shortly and they had no way to fight back.

“What do we do now?” Aphrodite cried.

“There’s nothing we can do.” Cerberus shrugged.

“We could jump.” Amanda said looking over the edge.

The others all stared at her.

“Kidding.” She shrugged.

They heard several shots before Black Paper showed up. Twelve hunters rounded the corner, each with the grin of death.

“Well this hasn’t been much of a challenge.” A purple RAcast said, “I had hoped you would have been more of a sport.”

“Pretty sad for such a bunch of highly praised hero’s.” A yellow HUmar sneered.

“Yes, but I shall still take pride in knowing I killed the great Cerberus and his friends.” The RAcast grinned.

“Can’t we just kill the men and take the girls?” A FOnewm asked.

“Normally we would but Nighthawk wants them all dead.” The RAcast replied.

“But they’re so hot.” The FOnewm wined.

“Stop thinking with your gentiles!” The HUmar yelled.

“Enough!” The RAcast snapped, “This ends now!”

Amanda and Aphrodite’s eye suddenly went wide. A smile crawled across Cerberus’ face. This caused Black Paper to hesitate.

“What?” The RAcast frowned.

“Nothing.” Cerberus grinned.

They heard a bark then a Gibbles tore into the group. Bodies went flying everywhere. The hunters still standing turned to attack. A pack of Gibbons jumped them. Cerberus signalled for his team to follow. Quietly they crept around the carnage and past the Gibbles. A Zol Gibbon tried to jump them. HitmanJ side kicked the creature then Cerberus drove his fist into its head. They scurried away undetected. They didn’t stop until they reached the jungle edge. They had to be very careful. More hunting parties were still out looking for them.

“Now what do we do?” Amanda asked.

“The Central Control Area is the only place we can go.” Cerberus replied, “The transporter should still be active there.”

“That’s quite a trek.” HitmanJ said.

“We don’t have any choice.” Cerberus shrugged.

“Let’s go.” Amanda said heading away.

“Uh Amanda.” Cerberus pointed, “It’s that way.”

“OK.” Amanda smiled and headed in the direction of Cerberus’ finger.

They skirted the edge of the jungle narrowly avoiding three hunting parties. It was a long trek up to the reservoir that split the east and west towers. The large blast door that allowed access to the dam was open. To their disappointment the transporters were deactivated. They had only one chance now, the transporter on the cliffs. First they’d have to get through the storage rooms then cross the dam. That was very difficult considering they had no weapons, no traps, and no techniques. Cerberus stepped through the door first. Three Merillia appeared on the steps. They sat still bobbing their heads oblivious to the hunters that now watched them. Cerberus carefully stepped further in. The door leading to the first store room was unlocked so they just needed to get by without attracting the Merillias. The others stayed at the door waiting for him to signal them. He slowly climbed the ramp making it three quarters of the way. Still the Merillias sat bobbing their heads. He was far enough now that he should have no trouble reaching the door. He relaxed and started to turn. There was a loud clunk, clunk behind him. He turned to come face to face with a large transparent object. He could just make out the Sinow Berrils features.

“Uh oh.” Cerberus muttered.

“Intruder identify your self!” The Sinow Berril boomed.

“Say what?” Cerberus frowned.

“Identify your self!” The Sinow Berril repeated.

“Cerberus, Hunters Guild section ID Oran. Guardians of Pioneer serial number one three charley five one seven.” Cerberus replied.

“Accessing Olga for verification please stand by!” The Sinow announced.

“This can’t end well.” HitmanJ grumbled.

“Search complete ID not found!” The Sinow said.

“Big surprise.” Cerberus sighed.

The Sinow Berril decloaked and drove its fist into Cerberus’ chest. He went flying into one of the Merillia. It made a scratchy throat sound and climbed to its feet.

“Let’s go!” HitmanJ said charging in.

The girls nodded and followed. The Sinow Berril stomped forward to greet the intruders. It swung at HitmanJ. He ducked the first swing then received the second in the ribs. He was knocked to the ground. The impact produced a sick snap sound. Pain shot through his side. At least one rib was broken. Aphrodite went left, Amanda went right. They jumped on the Sinows arms but could do nothing but pound it with their fists. It allowed HitmanJ to crawl away. Cerberus grabbed the Merillia by the throat and choked the life out of it. He was about to drop the plant but Aphrodite came flying at him. She had been tossed by the Sinow who now had Amanda by the upper arm. Cerberus caught the young force then tossed the plant at the Sinow. The Sinow Berril tossed Amanda aside and charged the android. Cerberus stood his ground locking arms with the bot. The Sinow Berril tried to punch the android. Cerberus held tight. Amanda climbed to her feet only to be knocked flat on her face. She looked back to see another Merillia swinging its arms wildly at her. She crawled away. Aphrodite ran to help deal with the troublesome plant. It turned and headed for the force allowing Amanda to climb to her feet. The Merillia swung a long vine at her. She jumped back just enough so the vine caught only her shirt. It split it open just above her belly. Amanda circled around and planted her boot square in the back of its head. The Merillia fell flat on its face. Aphrodite quickly leapt on top of it squashing the petal head. Green blood squirted all over her boots.

“EWW!” She squealed, “I’m not looking forward to cleaning that.”

Cerberus was still struggling with the Sinow Berril. He released the right arm then grabbed it just below the shoulder. He took a hard punch before ripping the arm out of the joint. The Sinow jumped back taking Cerberus with it. He managed to hold on to its wrist. It raised its arm lifting Cerberus off the ground. He let go just as the arm started to drop. Cerberus ran behind the Sinow Berril as it drove its fist into the floor.

“Missed.” Cerberus smiled and drove his arm into the Sinows exposed socked. He grabbed as much internal circuitry as he could then pulled it out. The Sinow Berril twisted one hundred eighty degrees and fell flat on its face. Cerberus gave it a soft kick then nodded when the Sinow failed to respond.

“Let’s keep moving.” He waved.

Aphrodite helped HitmanJ to his feet and followed the others into the next room. They met resistance here too. They just barely survived this encounter only to face opponents all the way to the transporter. The team slowly exited the bridge and collapsed in front of the large red warp gate that would take them down to the cliffs. The hunters clothing was nothing more than strips of fabric now, just barely covering the important parts. HitmanJ had received another couple broken ribs and Aphrodite was limping from a nasty cut in her right calf. They had used some of the torn clothing for a bandage. The bleeding had stopped but it still hurt. Amanda was pretty sure her left fore arm was broken and Cerberus was suffering from several damaged systems. Wires hung and fluid dripped from every cut in his metal body. His fluid reservoir was getting dangerously low. It carried the electrolyte and lubricants necessary for maintaining his power. When it runs dry his systems will have no choice but to shut down. After this point his emergency reserve would be able to maintain brain functions for three hours. After that he’d die. He didn’t tell the others just how bad his condition was. He looked at the transporter with hope. This one being active meant the one on the cliffs was also active. He took a step forward and the power went out.

“No!” He gasped, “NO!”

“You people are just like cockroaches. You refuse to die!”

Cerberus turned to see Nighthawk glaring at him. Two large RAcasts stood at his side. Each had a shot pointed at them.

“We wouldn’t want to make it easy for you.” Cerberus glared.

“No, I appreciate that.” Nighthawk smiled, “There’s always so much more sport in a challenge, but all fun must come to an end. I’m afraid you must die now.”

Nighthawk was just about to give the order but was interrupted by his com panel.

“What is it?” He growled.

“I need you to return to Pioneer Two immediately.” A female voice said.

“That sounds familiar.” Cerberus whispered to HitmanJ.

“That’s Sue right.” HitmanJ whispered back.

Cerberus nodded. Nighthawk shot them an evil glare then turned his attention back to his left arm.

“I’m kinda busy right now.” He growled.

“This concerns Black Hound.” Sue said, “Make sure to set your telepipe to the lab. The promenade is a little cold right now.”

“There’s too many people there.” Nighthawk frowned.

“I set off the fire alarm.” Sue replied, “The place is empty but the ships fire crew will be here shortly.”

“Fine.” He grumbled punching his com pad, “Looks like I won’t get to finish you personally but this is more important.”

He programmed his telepipe and dropped it in front of him. He turned to face his casts.

“Make sure they die slowly.” He said and stepped in.

One of the RAcasts stowed his shot and drew a sabre. He slowly approached the group while the other kept his gun trained on them.

“You!” The RAcast pointed at Aphrodite, “Come forward.”

Aphrodite limped forward never taking her eyes off the ground.

“I shall enjoy chopping you to bits.” He grinned and raised his sabre.

“No!” HitmanJ cried trying to run forward.

A shot rang out over the mountain. The RAcast shuddered then collapsed. The second android spun around. A second shot brought him down. The transporter reactivated. Standing on the bridge with a rifle still aimed was the red haired girl in the hooded cloak. She walked up to them and smiled, keeping her eyes hidden as usual.

“This is most unlike you Cerberus.” She said, “You usually get out of tight spots with out my help.”

“We were caught by surprise.” Cerberus shrugged, “I had no way of knowing they were here.”

“Which is why I have been watching you.” The girl said.

“We thank you.” Cerberus bowed his head.

“Get your team back to the ship.” The girl said, “They look like they are suffering quite a bit and you yourself do not have much time.”

“What is she talking about?” Amanda asked looking up at him.

“Nothing.” Cerberus muttered, “We still have to find Lisa, she could be in greater danger than us.”

“Lisa is safe.” The girl waved, “She’s not even on this island.”

“Where is she?” Amanda asked.

“With a friend.” The girl said, “I can not say anymore. It might compromise his current position and put both their lives in danger.”

Cerberus thought for a moment then nodded.

“Alright then.”

He turned and ushered his team into the transporter. Instead of appearing on the cliffs, they found themselves in the lab. Fire crews were standing around completing their investigation and reports. Cerberus headed straight for the medical booth just outside the shops. The nurse there sent him to the lab then took care of the others. Once their wounds were healed they went to one of the local shops and picked up some new cloths. This remote hunter’s guild station didn’t carry uniforms so they’d have to wait until the dome was restored to get new ones. They also had to pick up some basic weapons and shields. Cerberus was the only one who lost anything of value. The others only lost the basic equipment they had purchased earlier. They returned to the lab where Cerberus was waiting. He looked around at all the lab workers. Only Elly waved.

“Let’s go find Falcon.” He said.

He was about to step through the transporter door when every remaining member of Black Paper poured out of the transporter. They quickly rounded everyone up and confiscated the hunter’s new weapons.

“Easy come, easy go.” HitmanJ sighed handing over his mechguns.

“Well, well, we meet again.”

Cerberus turned to see Nighthawk and Sue step from the warp.

“What is this?” Cerberus frowned

“The freedom of Black Paper!” Sue announced, “The scientists have controlled us for long enough. We take back our freedom and there is no one to stop us.”

“The Hunters Guild will.” Cerberus growled.

“Ha, the attack on the ship has left you leaderless and disorganized!” Sue laughed, “Beside, half of them are here already.”

She held out her arms encompassing the Black Paper troop. The remaining scientists were ushered over to Cerberus’ location. Sue looked everyone over then glared at her troop Captain.

“Where is Montague?” She growled.

“Not here.” The Captain shrugged, “This is everyone.”

“No one leaves here.” Sue hissed, “Come Nighthawk.”

He nodded but said nothing. She stormed in to Montague’s lab. The secret warp was gone. Sue walked over to the stasis chamber and tried to open it. She cursed and drew her claw. She slashed the chamber open exposing the warp.

“Come!” She barked.

She stepped into the warp and disappeared. Nighthawk grumbled and followed her in. They returned to the group a few minutes later.

“Montague’s gone.” Sue grumbled, “No matter. Lock them in lab one. Everyone is busy with ship repairs; it should be easy picking off the remaining hunters and military. Bring the rest up then sweep the ship.”

“Ah Sue.” Nighthawk said, “This is everyone.”

Sue shot him a look that would have frozen the Devil himself.

CHAPTER THIRTY

For someone who was more animal than android Kireek was proving to be quite difficult to track. He had eluded Deepfreeze’s party twice by going through the decompressed sections of the ship. The only thing keeping them on his trail was the locator the lab had installed on his back. His aimless wandering was much like an injured animal searching for something. He had attacked three repair teams and two civilians trying to return home. None were serious but it was only a matter of time before someone really got hurt. Deepfreeze had thought he might be searching for a way off the ship but that idea was quickly squashed when Kireek entered the main promenade and passed right by the main transporter. Deepfreeze wasn’t able to follow him then but Lisa and Elenor had stayed right with him. Deepfreeze had to circle around and picked them up when they entered a pressurized service tunnel. Kireek was now making his way to the WORKS division and he was making good time. A security detail tried intercepting him but failed. Now he was armed with a sabre he took from one of the guards. Most of the military was out helping with repairs but WORKS didn’t deal with minor things like a ship wide attack so their headquarters should still be fully staffed. Deepfreeze didn’t like the idea of Kireek falling into their hands again. He caught sight of Kireek just as the android ducked around the corner. He entered the great hall that WORKS had claimed as their own. Deepfreeze suspected it was because they had become so physically weak they needed something to intimidate people with. The Great Hall surely accomplished this. So much so it caused Kireek to pause. The great columns and arches were finished in polished metal similar in appearance to aluminium. Long red tapestries hung between the columns giving it an ancient Roman feel. The floor was finished to look like marble. The main door was made from simulated ash and covered in carvings. A long red carpet ran from the hall entrance to the five steps leading up to the main door. It was all fake but looked no less impressive. Kireek snorted then charged the guards standing at the main door. As hard as they tried, they were no match for the crazed android. He left bloody foot prints on the floor as he stepped through the door. Deepfreeze carefully stepped by the rendered guards and aimed his Ruby Bullet.

“That’s enough Kireek.” He said.

Lisa and Elenor stepped up behind him aiming their guns at the android. Kireek growled viciously at them.

“There’s no place you can run.” Deepfreeze said calmly, “Come with us. We can help you.”

Kireek twisted around then turned back snarling at the rangers. He threw the sabre at them like a spear. The rangers dove to the side. Kireek bolted down the hall and around the corner. The rangers followed in hot pursuit. They found another WORKS guard dead in the next hallway. Kireek had snapped his neck. Kireek was moving much faster than Deepfreeze had thought possible considering how many dead WORKS members they were coming across. The alarm sounded at long last. The hallways filled with WORKS members scurrying to grab their weapons. No one stopped the rangers but they didn’t bother to get out of the way either. They ran past the main office only to run into a WORKS Captain.

“What are you people doing here?” He snapped, “Wait, you’re Montague’s android!”

Elenor nodded. He spotted Lisa’s badge. A scowl crossed his face.

“Guardians!” He spat then turned to Deepfreeze, “I know you, you’re the ice ranger. A little out of uniform aren’t you?”

“I’m on a recovery mission from the lab.” Deepfreeze said, “One of the patients escaped. We followed him here.”

“I know who you’re after.” The Captain snarled, “We will apprehend Black Hound and place him back into our custody.”

“No I don’t think so.” Deepfreeze shook his head.

He cast Rabarta freezing everyone but his teammates.

“Move!” He barked.

They continued on tracking Kireeks every movement. He was headed for WORKS quarantine lab. It was painfully clear now what Kireek was after. Deepfreeze wasn’t sure how the Soul Eater would reach to Kireeks new state of mind. It had been eating away at him for years and Dark Falz influence had accelerated the process. Now that his mind was completely gone there was nothing left for the cursed scythe to feed on. They entered the last hallway leading to works labs. Dead researchers littered the floor.

“Oh my!” Elenor gasped.

“He’s efficient.” Deepfreeze quipped.

“That’s not funny.” Lisa frowned.

“Oh, ya, right, sorry.” Deepfreeze smiled, “We’re getting close.”

The left wall erupted in flame and metal. The rangers had to duck to avoid the shrapnel. The smoke hadn’t even cleared but Deepfreeze charged forward anyway. He stopped in front of the new hole. Kireek stood in front of a broken case, his mutated weapon still hanging on its hooks.

“Kireek no!’ Deepfreeze yelled.

The android spun and glared at him. Without taking an eye off Deepfreeze he reached back and grabbed the weapon. A black cloud began to emanate from its blood red eye. Kireek gripped it with both hands and slowly started stalking the ranger. Lisa and Elenor ran up beside him.

“Uh oh.” Lisa said looking at the HUcast.

“Blast him.” Deepfreeze said flatly.

The rangers found themselves surrounded by rifles. WORKS had caught up with them. Kireek paused to take in this new development.

“Lower your weapons!” The Captain ordered.

Reluctantly Deepfreeze lowered his gun and was quickly relieved of it.

“Take them away.” The Captain waved.

One of the guards poked Deepfreeze in the ribs with the barrel of his rifle. Deepfreeze shot him a nasty glare then slowly turned and walked away. Lisa and Elenor fell in behind him. The Captain turned to Kireek and smiled.

“Black Hound, so good of you to come back.” The Captain smirked, “We really missed you.”

Kireek snarled and took a step forward. The rifles were instantly trained on him.

“Don’t do anything stupid.” The Captain waved a fore finger, “You’re much too valuable to us.”

Kireek leapt threw the hole into the middle of the group and with fluid precision cut down every WORKS member before they could act. The troop escorting Deepfreeze’s team turned to see what the noise was. Kireek was charging at an incredible speed. The rear guards started firing. Kireek blocked every shot then jumped an impossible distance even for an android cutting into one guard with a chop then swinging sideways slicing the second guard in half. The rangers suddenly found their weapons being forced back into their hands. Kireek straightened from his attack holding the Soul Eater up with one hand. His eyes glowed bright red as his blood soaked weapon absorbed the red liquid. The blood flowed across the metal in tiny vein like streams into the red vortex that was the weapons eye. Once all the blood had been absorbed, the eye returned to its ruby pearl state. Kireek started to laugh. It wasn’t a savage animal laugh that he’d displayed earlier. This laugh had substance and intelligence in it. This was the Kireek of old with a great amount of evil cruelty in him, and he was about to enjoy demonstrating it. Then the laugh died. Every one stood silent.

“I am whole again!” Kireek announced, “And now I will finally kill you!”

He jerked forward as if to attack but stopped just as abruptly. He looked behind him then all around as if searching for something.

“Leave me alone!” He cried, “I serve no one!”

He cried out in agony dropping his weapon, then falling to his knees and grabbing his head. Deepfreeze took a step forward. Kireek grabbed his Soul Eater and glared at the ranger still grunting in pain. Deepfreeze stepped back but kept his gun on the android.

“I serve no one!” Kireek cried again, “Alright, alright, I surrender. Whatever you wish!”

“He relaxed as the pain subsided. He stood up and glared at the rangers.

“First things first.” He said hungrily then looked up, “But I have them. At least let me kill the big one. But he must die. Very well.”

His shoulders slumped as he stepped back turning to leave. He stopped midway through the turn and pointed at Deepfreeze.

“You escape my revenge once more but know this.” He said, “You will taste my wrath!”

He took off down the hall. The rangers and WORKS guards fired. The Soul Eater flashed in a wave of movement. Kireek blocked every shot without looking back. He rounded the corner and was gone.

“How do we stop that?” Lisa asked.

“And who was he talking to?” One of the guards asked.

“Who else?” Deepfreeze sighed, “Dark Falz.”

He ran after the android. Lisa and Elenor took off after him.

“Hey!” The guard called but did not pursue.

The rangers exited the Great Hall but were too late. Kireek was gone and his tracking chip was lying on the floor at Deepfreeze’s feet. It didn’t mater, he knew where the android was going. Deepfreeze wasn’t about to go there without his uniform and equipment and it was still in the main checkroom. He sighed and headed back to the lab. They got half way there when the ships intercom beeped.

“Attention all personnel this is Principal Tyrell. The city dome has been repaired. Gravity and life support are now active. You may return to your quarters. Tyrell out.”

“Someone is looking out for me.” Deepfreeze smiled.

He changed his route heading for the nearest warp.

“Where to now?” Lisa frowned.

“I need my equipment.” Deepfreeze said, “I’m finished with this spy stuff. It’s time to be a hunter again.”

“Yes!” Lisa squealed.

Elenor smiled and followed them back to the promenade. They gathered up the supplies they needed and Deepfreeze grabbed his Shield of Delsaber and his Final Impact. His uniform was back at his apartment. Several of the hunters coming to get their belongings stopped and stared. Deepfreeze sighed and turned. They weren’t staring at him. He looked over to where their eyes were trained. The red haired girl in the hooded cloak was standing before them. She kept head down to hide her face. Lisa let out a soft gasp which was very good for an android. The girl stepped up to Deepfreeze but did not raise her head.

“Black Hound is headed to the ruins.” She said.

“I know.” Deepfreeze said, “I’m going after him.”

“Not yet.” The girl said holding up a finger, “Your friends are in trouble at the lab.”

“How is that possible?” Deepfreeze frowned.

“Not important.” The girl waved her finger, “I’ll go and try to delay Kireek. Free your friends first; we are going to need them.”

“Are you sure it’s wise for you to go there?” Deepfreeze frowned.

“I can hear Falz but he does not call to me.” She replied, “He calls the Black Hound. I can’t let him get there.”

“Alright go.” Deepfreeze nodded, “I won’t be long.”

“Good, take some of these hunters with you.” The girl said, “You’ll need them.”

She turned and ran for the transporter before he could say any more.

“Who was that?” Elenor asked.

“I’ll tell you later.” Deepfreeze replied then turned to the small group of hunters that had gathered, “You heard the lady, grab your weapons. We have people to save.”

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

The hunters grabbed their equipment then followed Deepfreeze to his apartment. He ducked inside for a moment then reappeared dressed in his uniform. He locked the door then headed straight for the warp. They appeared in the small room just opposite to the hunter’s guild desk. The girl that usually manned the chair was gone. Deepfreeze drew his Final Impact and stuck his head out. Two hunters were standing guard at the warp to the lab. Deepfreeze ducked back into the room.

“Two guards at the warp.” He reported, “It’s Black Paper.”

“You’re joking?” A young Fonewearl dressed in blue asked, “They don’t actually expect to take over the ship?”

“No but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve already got what they came for.” Deepfreeze shook his head.

“Unless they came for Kireek.” Lisa said.

“Right.” Deepfreeze nodded.

“Let me handle the guards.” A giant hulk of a green RAcast said pushing past them.

He pulled out a freeze trap and tossed it down the hall. It landed a little short but was still quite effective.

“Go.” He waved.

Deepfreeze bolted out of the room and over to the guards before the freeze wore off. The Black Paper guards suddenly found themselves surrounded. They easily gave up their weapons.

“That was too easy.” A green haired HUnewearl sighed.

“Everyone move carefully.” Deepfreeze said, “Hopefully they still think they’ve got the element of surprise.”

The hunters quickly filed into the warp in pairs. Deepfreeze and Lisa appeared first followed by the others. Black Paper had assembled in a group at the base of the ramp. There were far fewer than Deepfreeze had suspected. There was no sign of the scientists that usually worked here.

“Nobody move!” Deepfreeze announced, “You’re all under arrest!”

“YOU!” Sue yelled stepping out from the group, “How did you get in here?”

“Like those two guards you posted were going to stop me.” Deepfreeze smiled.

“He came in the front door!” Sue cried grabbing a small green RAcaseal by the throat.

She started shaking the android angrily. Lisa winced as she threw her to the floor. Sue turned to face her men.

“You told me he was coming in through the back service tunnels!” Sue screamed, “What good are you if you can’t even keep track of a simple ranger!”

Deepfreeze frowned, partly because of the insult and partly because he had no idea who Sue might be taking about. No matter what Sue was yelling he knew the Black Paper agents were smart enough not to confuse him with anyone else. Nighthawk stepped up to her looking at his left arm screen.

“Sue, Richard reports they have Deepfreeze and his team in custody.”

“Obviously they don’t.” She growled punching him in the stomach, “You are worthless.”

“If you’re finished, I strongly recommend dropping your weapons.” Deepfreeze said.

“Never.” Sue hissed.

She threw a Foie ball at them. He jumped sideways crashing into the hunters on his right. The fire ball landed harmlessly against the lab window. Black Paper split up firing at the hunters. A couple received minor injuries as the hunters dove for cover behind the warp platform. Weapons flashed and techniques flew as the battle enraged. Black Paper quickly took shelter up on the platform containing the chief’s desk. The group that had taken the hostages to the lab stepped out into the middle of the fire fight looking quite surprised.

“Deepfreeze look.” Lisa said pointing at them.

“I bet they know where everyone is.” He smiled.

“Lisa nodded. He signalled for her and Elenor to follow. They cut to the right then aimed straight at the group. One of the Black Paper saw them and started shooting. Deepfreeze took a single shot knocking most of them out. The one that started firing tried to run but Elenor took out his right foot. He screamed as he fell. Lisa grabbed him by the collar and dragged him back into the hallway. Deepfreeze stood over him with his shot aimed at his chest. The man stared up at him with pain filled terror in his eyes.

“You’re going to tell me where you took the lab employees right now.” Deepfreeze said coldly.

Lisa was shocked by his tone. She had never heard him speak with such a heartless cold tone before. She didn’t like it at all. Even when he was angry there was always some compassion in his voice. She looked down at the man who simply nodded. Deepfreeze moved his shot a little closer.

“They… they’re in the first lab!” The man sputtered, “With the other hunters.”

Deepfreeze relaxed and withdrew his gun.

“Thank you.” He nodded.

Deepfreeze stepped by the man without even helping. The man clutched at the scorched stump that was his ankle. Lisa looked back then looked up at her friend.

“Shouldn’t we help him?”

“He’s dead already.” Deepfreeze replied coldly.

“It was just his foot!” Lisa exclaimed, “It wasn’t that bad. This isn’t like you. You always help people no matter who they are!”

“Lisa.” Deepfreeze sighed then looked at the injured man, “It’s not that I don’t want to help him, it’s that I can’t help him.”

“I don’t understand.” Lisa shook her head.

“The wound won’t kill him.” Deepfreeze said, “The virus will.”

“Virus, what virus?” Lisa asked looking quite confused.

“Eleanor’s rifle is one of Montague’s little toys.” Deepfreeze said, “I recognize its components from Gal Da Val. Spider fangs right?”

Elenor nodded.

“The Doctor has been fascinated with them ever since you returned Sato’s collar.” Elenor said in her cheerful tone, “He brought back a whole spider but found only the fangs useful for weapon construction and he had to combine it with normal rifle parts.”

“Most importantly it uses the renewable spider venom.” Deepfreeze said, “Which contains a virus that infects every cell of its victim. It will then either paralyse the victim or mutate it into another D-cell life form.”

“How do you know this?” Lisa asked.

“A friend told me.” Deepfreeze replied.

“The girl in the cloak?” Lisa smirked.

Deepfreeze nodded.

“Who is she?” Lisa frowned.

Deepfreeze ignored her. He stopped at the lad door. It was locked and the security reader was smashed.

“Figures.” He grumbled, “Lisa, damage trap please.”

“Ah sure.” She stuttered.

She drew a trap from her pack and handed it to him. He set it to maximum and placed it against the door. He used a low level Barta to stick it to the door encasing it in ice. He quickly ushered the androids away and hoped Cerberus was in there to detect it. The trap exploded blowing a giant hole in the door. A red bulk of a HUcast stepped out. He placed his hands on his hips.

“Only you’d be so reckless.” He said.

“Yes, me the prime example of brainless endangerment.” Deepfreeze smiled.

Amanda jumped out in front of Cerberus.

“Freeze!” She cried and ran at him.

She jumped up in to his arms and kissed him.

“I missed you!” She cried.

“I missed…” He began then saw her expression changed, “Oh crap.”

She slapped him hard on the cheek.

“That’s for leaving.” She growled and stepped back.

“I deserved that.” He sighed, “But believe me it was necessary.”

“Why?” Amanda cried.

HitmanJ and Aphrodite entered the hall followed by the lab staff.

“If my eyes don’t deceive me.” HitmanJ smiled.

“Oh this is going to be ugly.” Aphrodite sighed.

Deepfreeze looked down at the young HUnewearl and discovered that his feelings for her had changed. Perhaps the old saying “Absence makes the heart grow fonder” had some truth behind it.

“I…” He started but suddenly found it difficult to speak, “I… it was too dangerous to bring you along. Me disappearing would just be a mystery for most. If we all disappeared then everyone would be on alert or trying to locate us. I had to sever all connections to the public world so I could sneak into high security areas with little difficultly. This way I’d be the only one that could compromise my mission.”

“Which was?” Amanda frowned.

“Discover the traitor who was still using Lazarus and Osto’s research!” Deepfreeze shrugged.

“And?” Cerberus leaned forward.

“At first I thought it was Mome and he was but the true traitor was…” Deepfreeze said.

“Doctor Montague.” Elenor finished.

“What?” The group exclaimed.

“He didn’t mean it.” Elenor said, “He’s just obsessed with the unusual photons on this planet.”

“And it was Mome who took all Lazarus research subjects.” Deepfreeze sighed.

“He’s down on the southern island.” Elly said, “Falcon’s team went to find him and investigate that alien craft.”

“But we’ve lost contact with them.” Cerberus said, “We were about to go look for them when Black Paper stopped us.”

“Plus Kireek is headed back to the ruins.” Deepfreeze frowned, “Alright, get back to the check room and hunters guild to get suited up. I’ll meet you there.”

Cerberus nodded and followed him down the hall. Deepfreeze peeked out into the main lab. The battle was still raging on and it was not going well for the hunters. Additional Black paper members had shown up while they were gone.

“We can’t get to the warp from here.” Cerberus said.

“Take the service tunnels.” Deepfreeze pointed back down the hall, “We’ll help them.”

“Be careful.” Cerberus said squeezing his shoulder.

“I always am.” Deepfreeze smiled.

“We are going to have a serious talk later.” Amanda said and hugged him.

Cerberus led his team and the lab staff back down the hall to the service tunnels. Deepfreeze drew his Final Impact then looked at the androids.

“Ready?”

Lisa and Elenor nodded. Pushan gave a loud chirp. Sato gave a soft metallic meow. Deepfreeze turned and bolted in to action with guns blazing. Lisa and Elenor were hot on his heels. They shot across the floor to the island transport door. The Black Paper members hiding by Elly's desk were forced to retreat. Elenor drew a freeze trap and lobbed it over the railing like a grenade. It exploded freezing anyone standing there. Lisa ran out to the bottom of the ramp and threw a trap of her own. It erupted in a cloud of purple smoked. The members caught in it suddenly found their senses spinning like a top. Most of them just stood there unable to aim or even see straight. Others stared wobbling around and bumping into everything. Deepfreeze charged up the ramp with the remaining hunters following behind. When the effects wore off Black Paper found themselves surrounded again.

“You guys just aren’t very good at this.” Deepfreeze smirked.

“It’s not over.” Sue shot an icy glare, “We still have others coming. Much more than you have.”

“You’re a terrible liar Sue.” Deepfreeze shrugged.

“You fell for it.” Sue grinned evilly.

Both Deepfreeze and Nighthawk shot her an angry frown. The remaining Black Paper squad burst into the room escorting their four captured hunters. Deepfreeze and a few others turned aiming their weapons.

“Hey Sue, we got Deepfreeze and…” The lead member began then the smirk drained away as he saw the hunters, “What the?”

“Drop your weapons please.” Deepfreeze ordered.

The lead nodded and slowly set his gun down. Sue let out an annoyed gasp. The other members slowly set their weapons down. They continued to look from their prisoners to the man standing on the platform.

“Am I seeing double?” Nighthawk gasped.

“You are such an idiot.” Sue grumbled.

Deepfreeze walked down the ramp and up to his double. He looked him over then at his team mates. There were two young HUmars, one dressed in red, and the older one dressed in orange. Third was a red headed HUnewearl. He addressed each one in turn.

“Ash, Jesse, and Lacy right?”

Lacy nodded.

“There is only one person tall enough to impersonate me and make it convincing.” Deepfreeze said, “That’s a very good mask you got there Bernie.”

“Thank you.” Bernie said pulling of the mask, “A strange red headed girl in a black cloak said you might need a diversion. That Black Paper was tailing you and we should get them off your tail.”

“She does get around.” Deepfreeze nodded, “I believe you can handle things here.”

“Sure, go on get outa here.” Bernie said without so much as a grin, “Go find your friends.”

Deepfreeze gave him a salute of thanks and entered the warp. Lisa and Elenor followed behind. Jesse watched for a second. His legs felt twitchy. He finally stomped his foot and followed them.

“Jesse, where are you going?” Bernie called.

Jesse didn’t hear them. He was already gone. He stayed far enough behind as to not draw attention to himself. Deepfreeze stopped at the check counter where his friends were waiting.

“Kireek must be stopped before he can reach Falz.” He said, “I’ll take Lisa and Elenor. Shouldn’t be anything we can’t handle there. Take your team and find Falcon’s party.”

“I wish you had one more to fill out your team.” Cerberus said.

“So do I.” Deepfreeze shrugged.

“Wait!” Jesse called running up to them.

“What are you doing here?” Deepfreeze frowned.

“My sister is on Falcon’s team.” He said, “I want to go find her.”

“This is way too dangerous for an inexperienced hunter like you.” Deepfreeze shook his head.

“I don’t care!” Jesse shot, “That’s my sister and I want to help her. I’m not staying behind. Not this time.”

Deepfreeze stared at him for a moment then sighed.

“Alright, go with Cerberus.” He shrugged, “I’ll take Amanda.”

“Darn right you will.” Amanda nodded.

Deepfreeze gave her a slight frown then turned back to Cerberus.

“Take care down there. People seem to have a habit of disappearing.”

“More have disappeared where you’re going.” Cerberus nodded.

“True enough.” Deepfreeze replied shaking his friend’s hand.

Cerberus turned and took the warp back to the lab. Deepfreeze led his team to the main transporter. He took one last look at his teammates. Only Amanda looked out of place with her new uniform and battle beaten boots. He nodded approvingly and stepped in to the transporter.

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

The first level of the mines was completely devoid of activity which had been the norm of late. Deepfreeze’s team materialized in the transporter room of level two. The door slid open to a scene of mechanical carnage. Gillchich parts littered the floor of the next room. Kireek obviously had no trouble dealing with them. This was troubling because he had such a big lead and if the machines couldn’t slow him down then Deepfreeze would have no chance of catching him before he entered the ruins. They moved quickly through the second level following the trail of robot parts. Kireek wasn’t wasting anytime making a bee line straight for Volt Opt. Deepfreeze was hoping he would be able to slow the android down a little. They entered the room that contained the entrance to the control room. Cerberus’ blast door was still here waiting to seal the ruins. The burning hulks of the two guardian Baranz sat at the center of the room. Amanda watched the twitching body of a downed Sinow Red as they cautiously crept through the room. An idea struck her and she bolted over to the damaged robot. Its photon daggers were still active. Using one of her own daggers she hacked off each fore arm and stuffed them in her pack. The others stood staring at her.

“What?” She shrugged, “Montague can make weapons out of these.”

Deepfreeze smiled and continued onto the control room. The main door was open. The control room was a mess. Deepfreeze surveyed the area before he was willing to enter. Volt Opt sat in his second form in the middle of the room. He wasn’t moving but he didn’t look damaged either. Deepfreeze continued to look around finally spotting the tunnel leading to the ruins. It was normally hidden by a sliding wall that only opened after Volt Opt was defeated. It looked to be torn apart.

“He doesn’t like to wait does he?” Amanda smiled looking at the wall.

“No, he doesn’t.” Deepfreeze said quietly, “I’d say Volt Opt is still quite active so we must be very careful.”

“If we are fast enough we should be able to reach that door without having to fight him.” Elenor shrugged

Everyone nodded then readied for the charge.

“Go!” Deepfreeze snapped.

The team bolted into the room and ran along the curved wall. The ruins tunnel was just in sight. Volt Opt rose up turning to face the intruders. He released a volley of rockets that impacted the wall between Lisa and Elenor. Lisa was thrown forward landing at Amanda’s feet. She stopped and looked back. Elenor was way behind and she was slow to get up. Deepfreeze stopped and began firing at the machine.

“Get Elenor!” He yelled.

Amanda nodded and rushed back the way she had come. Lisa sprang to her feet and rushed to the door before she started shooting. Deepfreeze nodded approvingly to her. Amanda reached Elenor just as she got hit by Volt Opts little green energy ball. Three stone pillars rose up trapping the android.

“Oh no.” Amanda muttered remembering that last time one of her friends had been trapped in this.

She began hacking away at the stone. These daggers weren’t as powerful as the last ones she had used and they weren’t cutting the rock too well. Just as before, Volt Opt released a bobbing purple Megid ball that slowly floated toward Elenor. Volt Opt then turned his attention back to the other rangers. Amanda continued to slash the rock but it was obvious she wouldn’t get through before the Megid reached Elenor. Even though a moon atomizer can restore some one killed by Megid it is said that a little piece of that person is lost. Get killed enough times and the person restored to life will no longer be you. Some believe it slowly wipes the mind clean while others believe it’s a far more sinister technique, eating away at the person’s very soul. Amanda didn’t like the implications of either of those. Her adrenaline began to flow heavier. Her heart began beating faster as she become desperate to get the android out. Slowly the ball floated closer. She wasn’t even half way through. Elenor could only watch in horror as the ball bobbed closer and closer.

“Amanda hurry!” She cried.

“I’m trying!” Amanda said slashing as hard as she could.

The Megid ball floated closer. Small chunks of rock pelted the floor.

“No.” Amanda growled.

The ball floated closer still.

“No!” Amanda cried continuing to slash the rock.

The ball reached the front pillar and started to go through the rock.

“No!” Amanda screamed.

A giant explosion erupted in the control room. It blasted away the pillars and tossed Elenor clear. Deepfreeze and Lisa were blasted against the wall. Volt Opt was blown to pieces. Amanda stood with one hand stretched out. Her eyes rolled back and she collapsed. Deepfreeze dropped his shot and ran to her. Lisa picked up his gun but stayed there. Elenor reached Amanda first. She quickly checked the Newman over then nodded with a smile.

“She’s still alive.”

“I’ve warned her about losing control of her mental energy.” Deepfreeze sighed pulling a monofluid from his pack.

Amanda slowly opened her eyes but she couldn’t focus. Everything was blurred and dark. Something touched her lips and a warm sweet liquid started trickling down her throat. She grabbed the bottle and gulped down the contents. Her mind began to focus. Her vision cleared to a smiling pink android. Deepfreeze leaned in behind her.

“How do you feel?” He asked.

“Better.” Amanda nodded and slowly climbed to her feet.

“You know you have to keep control of your techniques!” Deepfreeze said softly.

“I know.” Amanda nodded, “There wasn’t time to even think. I just reacted.”

“And saved my life.” Elenor grinned, “Thank you.”

Lisa found herself giggling with joy. She had been very frightened for her friend and now that she was all right Lisa couldn’t help but laugh. She just stopped laughing when something hit her hard in the back sending her flat on her face. She looked back to see three Dimenian strolling out of the tunnel. They let out their ghostly roar and started for the other hunters.

“Uh oh.” Amanda gasped pointing.

“This is what I was afraid of.” Deepfreeze said reaching back for his gun.

It wasn’t there.

“What the…” He started then remembered dropping it, “Ah crap.”

He quickly drew his Ruby Bullet and fired at the lead Dimenian. Amanda charged the one on the right while Elenor fired at the left. Lisa quickly climbed to her feet lifting the big shot. She looked it over quickly finding the target lock. She locked on to the Dimenians and fired. The recoil knocked her back.

“Now who’d design a photon weapon like that?” She grumbled.

She got up and fired again. She was ready this time and easily maintained her footing. The Dimenians didn’t stand a chance. Deepfreeze stepped by the puddles of purple blood. He took his gun from Lisa and stowed his Ruby Bullet.

“This is why the ruins need to be sealed.” He said.

“It’s not like we haven’t been trying.” Amanda shrugged.

“Volt Opt’s defeated.” Lisa said, “They should be able to do it now, right?”

“I’ll contact the lab and have them send a team down,” Elenor said tapping her arm.

“Good.” Deepfreeze gave her a nod, “Now we have a hound to catch.”

With no one being allowed access to the ruins for so long the dark creature count was way up. Deepfreeze began to wonder if this is what it was like when Rico had first entered here. He’d have to ask her sometime. Each room they entered contained puddles of blood and yet they still had to fight their way through. It was amazing that Kireek had made it this far on his own but then Dark Falz might be helping him out. He found him self wondering what Falz’s body would look like. Would it be the same as Rico’s form or would it change to reflect its new host. Could Falz even use a mechanical body or did it have to be flesh. So many questions started flooding his mind. Questions he hoped he’d never have answers too. They reached the mid point of level two with only the trail of purple blood to tell them Kireek had been here. At this rate there was no way they’d catch him. The last of the Delsabers would normally unlock the door. In this case the door was already unlocked. One thing Kireek had done was make sure the doors were all unlocked for them. Getting past the monsters was the trick.

“This is taking too long!” Amanda exclaimed tearing off the Delsabers left arm.

“You are becoming quite the morbid little girl.” Deepfreeze smiled.

“Look who’s talking.” Amanda replied stuffing the arm in her pack.

“You too are perfect for each other.” Lisa giggled.

Deepfreeze and Amanda both shot her a stern look. Lisa buttoned up then turned to Elenor when the others looked away.

“What’d I say?” She shrugged.

“I don’t know.” Elenor shook her head, “I don’t always understand humans.”

“I’m glad you’re here.” Lisa smiled, “I have someone I can talk too.”

“Yes, it’s quite refreshing having some one other than the Doctor to talk too.” Elenor smiled back, “He’s the hardest one to understand.”

“That’s for sure.” Lisa laughed, “His own species doesn’t even understand him.”

“Are you two coming?” Deepfreeze called.

The two androids laughed then ran to catch up.

“You two are beginning to scare me.” Deepfreeze frowned.

“Sorry.” Lisa said looking down.

“I’m sorry.” Elenor smiled.

Deepfreeze stared at them for a moment then slowly turned away. They continued the slow long battle to the transporter for level three. The monster population increased the closer they got. Finally they reached that red rippling booth that would take them to the final level. Deepfreeze took a deep breath and stepped into the transporter. He reappeared just in time to see the door close behind a short dark figure.

“Rico?” He frowned.

The others appeared behind him. He ran out in to the room with out checking to make sure it was safe.

“Hey wait!” Amanda called but he was gone, “That was weird.”

“Yes, it was unusually reckless.” Elenor nodded.

“Come on.” Amanda waved, “We better go save his butt.”

The room was empty. No purple blood, no monster, no Kireek, and no dark figure. Deepfreeze stood in the middle of the room trying to decide which of the two doors he’d take. Amanda ran up to him and gave him a shot in the arm.

“What’s the big idea?”

“I thought I saw someone walk in here right when I materialized in.” Deepfreeze replied rubbing his arm.

“Someone else is here?” Lisa asked looking around.

“If it’s who I think it is, we need to get her out of here.” Deepfreeze nodded.

“The girl in the cloak?” Lisa squinted.

“What girl?” Amanda frowned, “What have you been doing while you were away?”

“Now she sounds like a jealous girlfriend.” Elenor whispered.

Lisa giggled. Amanda turned and shot them a scowl. The two androids quickly stopped.

“Newman hearing remember?” Amanda smirked.

“It’s the girl that made us our enhanced weapons.” Deepfreeze said, “She’s ill and might do something very stupid down here.”

“Then let’s go find her.” Amanda shrugged, “After all, we owe her.”

“So which way?” Lisa asked.

“We don’t have time to search both directions.” Deepfreeze said, “Lisa, take Elenor and go that way. Amanda and I will take this door.”

“Uh OK.” Lisa replied looking quite shocked.

Deepfreeze exited the room before anyone could say anything else. Amanda turned to the little android.

“Don’t worry, you’ll do fine.” She smiled, “If you have any problems, just ask Elenor.”

“You should be leading a team.” Lisa shook her head.

“We won’t be separated for long.” Amanda said patting Lisa’s shoulder.

She hurried through the door leaving the androids alone. Elenor turned and headed for the other door. Lisa stood looking at Amanda’s door for a moment then followed Elenor out. The next room had a pack of claws circling a Bullclaw. Elenor slowly entered the room. Lisa followed her in drawing her hand gun. Elenor aimed at the Bullclaw and fired. The shot didn’t instantly kill the creature. Lisa watched as it started twitching and floating in haphazard patterns. After only fifteen to twenty seconds the creature let out one last wail and died.

“Interesting.” Elenor said, “I’d better turn up the potency. With just the two of us, we’ll need them to die a lot quicker.”

“Just don’t hit me with it.” Lisa frowned and fired.

She took four shots before her claw died. Elenor finished the others quickly with one shot each.

“I wish I had a gun like that.” Lisa gasped.

“I’ll talk to the Doctor for you.” Elenor smiled, “We need to be careful. The virus doesn’t seem to work on Chaos Sorcerers or Chaos Bringers.”

“Then let’s hope we don’t run in to any.” Lisa grinned.

They passed through several rooms following the trail of blood Kireek had left. They were running in to many more of the higher ranked creatures here. Delsabers, Dark Belra, and Sol Dimenian were the predominate species with the odd Chaos Sorcerer. It was almost too much for two fairly inexperienced androids. Elenor had more than Lisa but most of her time was spent in the lab now. Things started turning worse for them as Del-D’s and Dark Bringers started to appear. They just finished clearing a pack of Merlins when a large blue object knocked Lisa flat on her stomach. Another flew by then another. Elenor dove out of the way as the rapid fire gave no sign of stopping. She looked up to see an Indi Belra firing its arms with mindless relentlessness. Elenor started to charge but was quickly knocked back. Lisa climbed to her feet.

“Stay there!” She called.

She ran forward lining herself up dead center of the Belra. It continued to fire but Lisa was safe. It couldn’t hit her. She stood firm firing until it died.

“Where’d you learn that?” Elenor asked.

“Cerberus showed me that little trick.” Lisa shrugged.

“I’ll have to remember that one.” Elenor said checking the power pack on her rifle.

They stepped through the unlocked door in to the long hallway. Lisa looked around then shrugged. As they entered the final chamber they heard someone talking at the far end of the room. The two girls quietly crept around the long pillar that was the trademark for this room. Lisa peered around to where the voice was. It was Kireek and he was standing in front of the Dark Falz door. It was open and the transporter was active. He was having a conversation with some one but they could only hear his side.

“You still haven’t told me why I’m here.” Kireek called.

He paused for a minute looking down then up at the pulsing beams of the transporter.

“If it’s not me you want then who?” Kireek asked.

Another pause.

“The girl is here?” Kireek grumbled, “You want her?”

He paused again twirling his Soul Eater twice.

“No, then who?”

Kireek looked behind him. Lisa and Elenor ducked back. Kireek shrugged and turned to the transporter.

“Why the southern island?” Kireek frowned, “What is there?”

Pause.

“I see.” Kireek nodded, “If I do this will you release me?”

Pause.

“I suppose that is true.” Kireek sighed, “Very well, it will be done.”

He turned and walked away from the door. The androids waited until it was clear then ran up to the door. It remained open, even when they stepped back.

“I wonder if it knows we are here.” Lisa pondered.

As if to answer her, four Delsabers, a pack of claws, three Del-Ds, one Chaos Sorcerer, a Dark Bringer, and three Indi Belra appeared.

“Ya it knows.” Elenor nodded.

“We can’t fight all this.” Lisa gasped.

“Then we run.” Elenor said grabbing Lisa’s wrist.

The monsters closed in around the androids. Elenor blasted any that got in front of her. They were no match for the virus that now flowed through their purple blood. The rangers made it to the door but that didn’t stop the monsters. They followed the androids right out the door.

“No, that’s impossible.” Lisa gasped.

“We never did discover why these creatures would never leave a room.” Elenor said breaking into a run, “Guess it doesn’t matter now.”

They scurried down the long hallway with a Dark Bringer clopping right behind them. Lisa twisted and took a single shot at its right front hoof, causing the beast to trip. The girls burst through the doorway and skidded to a stop. Kireek stood in the center of the room glaring at them with his now red glowing eyes. Black lines swirled around inside them like smoke caught on a gentle breeze. He stamped the butt end of his Soul Eater on the ground.

“You were foolish to follow me here.” He said in a ghostly voice.

“We came to help you.” Elenor said.

“No you didn’t.” Kireek shook his head, “You came to stop me.”

“OK.” Lisa whispered, “Now what?”

“Kireek I…” Elenor began.

“Enough talk!” Kireek boomed leaping at them, “Now you die!”

He swung down catching Lisa in the shield. The shield didn’t stop the cursed weapon but it did slow it down enough that it didn’t take her arm off. It did cut through her forearm cuff and halfway through the arm. He pulled away causing even more damage. Kireek then swung sideways at Elenor. She jumped back but the scythe caught her rifle slicing it in two. Lisa aimed and fired. The bullets caught Kireek in the left shoulder knocking him off balance. Elenor charged forward ploughing her shoulder into his chest. Kireek fell flat on his back.

“Run!” Elenor yelled.

They ran for the door leaving a freeze trap behind. Kireek jumped to his feet just as the trap went off. The ice only held him for a second. He broke free completely enraged. He charged after them like an angry bull. Lisa and Elenor ran from room to room dodging the dark creatures that tried to stop them. A Dark Sorcerer appeared unleashing its Grants on Lisa. She was knocked to the floor. Elenor ran back and hauled her to her feet. Lisa’s energy was severely drained but she managed to push on. Kireek snorted and growled as he closed in on his prey. The girls hurried through two more doors only to run into a dead end. They turned to go back but Kireek was blocking the door.

“And now.” He grinned, “You die.”

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freeze on 2007-10-26 12:44 ]</font>

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE

This was the long way to Dark Falz and they had yet to see any evidence Kireek had been this way. That didn’t mean Rico hadn’t come this way. Deepfreeze stepped through the open door and immediately started choking. He quickly stepped back and allowed the door to close.

“Poison.” He choked.

Amada stepped up to the door and peered in. It was dark but she could see the glow of the switch on the far side of the room.

“There’s the switch.” She pointed.

“We’d never make it.” Deepfreeze shook his head, “The potency of the gas is a lot higher than the last time I was here.”

Amanda stood thinking for a moment.

“Turn around.” She said.

“Huh?” Deepfreeze frowned.

“I need my undershirt.” Amanda frowned, “Now turn around.”

Deepfreeze nodded and quickly made a one eighty degree spin. Amanda quickly pulled both her shirts off then quickly replaced her uniform shirt.

“OK I’m decent again.” She smiled.

“What exactly are you planning?” Deepfreeze asked.

“I can make that run.” She replied pulling a bottle of monofluid from her pack, “I just need a little help.”

She poured the liquid over her shirt then tied it tightly around her face.

“Be ready to cover me.” She said.

“This is not a good idea.” Deepfreeze grumbled.

“Wish me luck.” Amanda waved.

She ran as fast as her legs would carry her. Deepfreeze had to admit she was much faster then he was. She made it halfway when the poison started to burn her lungs. She held her breath for as long as she could before inhaling a tiny amount of air. It helped but now she was getting light headed. She reached for the switch stumbling and falling. The poison was now starting to burn her eyes and skin. She scampered to the switch on all fours finally reaching it. The switch started to pulse as the ventilation system cleared the room. Deepfreeze walked over to a floor switch in the near by corner and turned on the lights. Amanda gasped as a figure appeared right beside her. It was the red haired girl in the black cloak sitting with her arms wrapped around her legs.

“You.” Amanda pointed.

The girl looked up but said nothing. Half her face still remained hidden. Deepfreeze stopped beside Amanda and looked down at the girl.

“What are you doing here?” Deepfreeze asked, “I thought you were going to stop Kireek.”

“Kireek?” The girl replied looking up, “Oh yes, I was following him then I ended up here. I couldn’t remember why I had come.”

“What happened to you?” Deepfreeze asked.

“I heard the voice.” The girl said, “That’s all I could hear. That’s all I knew.”

“I thought he wasn’t calling you anymore?” Deepfreeze frowned.

“He’s calling everyone now.” The girl started to cry, “Even those who can’t hear him yet.”

“What does that mean?” Amanda frowned.

Deepfreeze just shrugged.

“All I hear now is him.” The girl sniffed looking down at her feet, “Except you but that’s because you’re so close.”

“We have to get you out of here.” Deepfreeze said.

“It’s too late for that.” The girl snapped, “I’ve lost. I can’t control it anymore. You must keep your promise.”

“Not yet.” Deepfreeze said, “You’re not lost yet.”

“You promised.” The girl yelled jumping to her feet, “You ahh.”

She grabbed her head and screamed.

“Rico let me help you.” Deepfreeze said holding out his hand.

“Rico.” Amanda gasped.

“Yes Rico.” Rico growled pulling her cloak off, “But not Rico.”

Amanda yelped as Rico glared at her with inhuman eyes. The bruising on her skin had gotten worse and now thin purple veins stretched out from each bruise like spider webs.

“I frighten you don’t I.” Rico glared.

“A little.” Amanda replied in a pitch higher than she liked, “But only by the way you’re acting.”

“Liar!” Rico cried, “My appearance frightens you. You should be afraid. I am part of him. The life pod of his flesh before you all murdered him. You should have died. Become one with his spirit like everyone else. No, you had to attack him, kill him, and leave me trapped in this hell!”

Tears poured from her eyes but she didn’t back down. Deepfreeze and Amanda were helpless at this point.

“But wait.” Rico continued holding up a finger, “He’s not dead. Even now he speaks. You can’t kill him. He’s pure darkness and darkness can not be destroyed. You’ll be a part of him soon. When I rejoin with him he’ll have his body back and consume you all. The day of Armageddon is upon you.”

Rico took off through an open door with an inhuman speed. Deepfreeze and Amanda stood stunned for a moment.

“We have to stop her.” Deepfreeze said shaking his head and went after Rico.

“I thought Rico was dead?” Amanda called chasing after him.

“So did most people.” Deepfreeze replied.

They kept up just enough to catch the door closing that Rico had passed through. She was headed straight for Dark Falz.

“So you were right all along.” Amanda said, “You and Ash.”

“I knew what I saw.” Deepfreeze said puffing slightly, “I just didn’t know the circumstances behind it.”

“What was she talking about?” Amanda asked, “Why does she look like that?”

“Her body is made of Falz body.” Deepfreeze replied, “Her spirit was trapped in it. She is Rico but she’s not human. Her only problem really is that being part of Falz she hears and feels him. I intend on rescuing her from that.”

“What promise was she talking about?”

“She made me promise that if she lost control I’d kill her before she could hurt anyone.” Deepfreeze said with great sadness, “I will do that as a last resort.”

Amanda nodded but chose to remain quiet. This was a great weight placed upon her friend and she would help him whether he knew it or not. They passed into a large empty room. Rico was just exiting through the door on the far side.

“We’re catching up.” Amanda said chasing after her.

Deepfreeze followed but he hung back. Something was bothering him. His instincts were warning him of danger. He slowly entered the room. Rico and Amanda reached the middle of the room and were instantly surrounded. Every type of dark monster appeared. Rico drew her Red Sabre and attacked. Amanda fished her daggers from her pack and went to work on a couple of Do Dimenians that had moved in on her. Deepfreeze laid down cover fire with his shot. This got the attention of a Delsaber that had been moving in on the girls. With one giant leap it crossed the room slashing as it landed. Deepfreeze blocked with his shield of Delsaber but the sheer weight of the creature knocked him to the ground. The Delsaber slashed away trying to get to the ranger. Deepfreeze held off the attack with his shield and drew his hand gun. He fired a single shot. The Delsaber fell over with a smouldering hole in its chest. Deepfreeze stowed the gun and quickly climbed to his feet. He continued to lay down cover fire taking some of the pressure off the girls. Amanda tried using her techniques but her mind hadn’t fully recovered from the last blast, and the creatures weren’t giving her enough time to concentrate. The dark creatures continued to close in on the two hunters. There were just too many for them to handle. Deepfreeze switched to his techniques as a last resort to help his friends but his level was too low to do any real damage. He continued to use his Barta keeping some of the creatures frozen until he used up his TP then switched back to his shot. The dark creatures moved in for the kill. The girls disappeared from his view.

“No.” He shook his head, “NO!”

The monsters slashed at their targets. There was a bright flash then a purple wave flew out from the center. The monsters vanished as the wave past over them. Deepfreeze lowered his left arm that he used to shield his eyes. Amanda was sitting in a ball. Rico was standing over her with her arms raised. She was breathing heavily.

“What was that?” Deepfreeze gasped.

“Just a little gift from Falz.” Rico replied helping Amanda to her feet, “I figured it was time he had a taste of his own medicine.”

“Are you alright?” Deepfreeze asked.

“I’m alright for now.” Rico nodded.

“I’m fine too.” Amanda pushed past him jabbing him in the chest.

“Aren’t you going after her?” Rico asked.

“Huh?” Deepfreeze said looking down at her, “She can take care of herself.”

“That’s not how she needs you.” Rico frowned, “Are you really that thick. Even I can see it.”

“What about you?” Deepfreeze asked, “I promised to help you.”

“I may be your friend but remember I’m already dead.” Rico said slapping his arm, “She is a living breathing woman who you’ve hurt once already but she forgave you. That’s extremely rare these days. Don’t drive her away. Now get over there and help that girl.”

Deepfreeze just stared at Rico for a moment. She stared right back with her alien eyes. She was right. He liked Rico. She had a strength that demanded respect and a softness that would always be there to take care of you. In another life he and she might have had something but not here, not now. She was dead plain and simple. Only her spirit remained and he kept forgetting that. Amanda was a lot like Rico but she was alive and hurting right now. Deepfreeze nodded and turned to his friend. Amanda was standing in the corner facing the wall.

“Hey.” Deepfreeze said softly.

“Hey.” She sniffled wiping away the tears.

She had been crying but didn’t want him to know. He pretended not to notice.

“I’m sorry.” He said, “I just got so absorbed in my job I just didn’t see.”

“Is that how it’s always going to be?” Amanda looked at him with blood shot eyes.

“No.” He shook his head, “When you told me I was like a big brother I used that excuse to leave. I kept telling myself you’d understand and wouldn’t mind that much. I should have known better.”

“It’s not all your fault.” Amanda said, “I shouldn’t have told you but I wasn’t sure how I felt about you. After meeting some of the other guys on Pioneer I began to realize what I had in you. The longer you were gone the more it hurt.”

“From now on I’m going to keep my original promise to look after you.” Deepfreeze smiled, “Even when it doesn’t mean watching your back.”

She jumped up and wrapped her arms around him hugging him tight.

“I’m never letting you leave me again.” She whispered.

Deepfreeze just hugged her back. Rico stood smiling and nodding her head. She suddenly became dizzy and fell to her knees. The voice was back. It wasn’t talking directly to her but the pull was back. She stood up and started to leave. The others hadn’t noticed her yet. She wanted to cry for help but couldn’t. She simply turned and walked out. Amanda opened her eyes just in time to see Rico walk out the door.

“Hey, she’s leaving.”

“What?” Deepfreeze exclaimed setting her down, “We’ve got to stop her.”

When they arrived at the chamber Rico was standing in front of the open door staring in to the transporter beam. Deepfreeze approached slowly with Amanda just behind him.

“Rico.” He said calmly, “Please step away from the door.”

“Stay back.” Rico replied.

“Come on now.” Deepfreeze said, “We want to help you.”

“You can’t.” Rico shook her head, “No one can.”

“That’s not true.” Deepfreeze started.

“It is true.” Rico snapped glaring at him, “Look at me. I’m trapped with no escape. His voice is constantly in my head. Only he can free me, no matter what it takes.”

“I don’t want to hurt you but I can’t let you go in there.” Deepfreeze said drawing his hand gun.

“Try and stop me.” Rico grinned evilly.

She turned and jumped. Deepfreeze fired. The shot went wide. Rico disappeared in the transporter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freeze on 2007-11-01 17:26 ]</font>