Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oblivion

I've been playing this for a few weeks now. Yeah, I know, I'm late to the party, but I just recently got a x360 and decided to give Oblivion a try.

Whoah.

This is the first game, since PSO, to totally rock my world.

So its gotten me thinking.

Is it maybe time for Phantasy Star to get out of 'arcade mode' (lots of relatively little boards that we have to repeat over and over and over and over and over, oh, and over) again and try a more open-ended design?

Image a PSO2, a true sequel, where Ragol was as big and explorable as Tamriel (the province in Oblivion)? Or, perhaps even more interesting, a prequel! We could take the role of Red Ring Rico's peers on Pioneer 1. As we level up more and more signs of Dark Falz arise and things start to spiral out of control.

Imagine having as many dungeons as in Oblivion.

Its probably way beyond the resources of ST and Sega to make such a game, but what if they out-licensed Phantasy Star to Bethesda?

Part of what makes me say/ask all this is because even though PSU improves on a lot of what made PSO great (though it also throws out a lot of what made PSO great, like mags and rares) it feels DATED. The whole idea of endlessly repeating tiny areas is so meh. It's the same reason I could never understand the raider mentality in WoW.

But Oblivion just blows my mind. So huge, so detailed, yet so utterly PLAYABLE.

It would be so awesome to see a PSO-inspired world built on the Oblivion model.

Anyone else feel this way?

Prolly not is my guess, but... just throwing that out there.

Down for the Getdown

Hey slowpoke! Didn't know pokemon could play video games!

My oblivion character could kick your oblivion characters ass.

On 2007-04-18 11:19, DizzyDi wrote:
    Hey slowpoke! Didn't know pokemon could play video games!

PSU does need a lot of work - but The ElderScrolls is an entirely different beast. I don't think PS/O/U would translate well to that sort of a sandbox title, and those sorts of games aren't very popular in Japan anyhow.. which is the market demographic which Phantasy Star has always been designed for.

That aside, Oblivion is a fantastic game - though I still prefer the diversity and more epic storylines of Morrowind or DaggerFall to it. Not to mention that fast travel really killed the sence of exploration in the game. I rarely ever use it - but a lot of people complain about Oblivion feeling smaller than Morrowind, and that's why. Daggerfall, on the other hand, was just ungodly large. Oblivion has like 10 square miles of terrain to cover, Morrowind around 8 or 9. DaggerFall had like... 100,000.

My Morrowind character could kick your Oblivion character's ass.

Speaking of which... they REALLY need to rebuild Kvatch and use it's Arena to allow people to go online and challenge other people's characters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-04-18 11:28 ]</font>

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Yeah, once I learned how to use Fast Travel I stopped using fast travel. It's seems against the point of the game, to me anyway, though I supposes its nice they include it. I like to just run and run and run, and see what I find. What's so amazing, is there IS a lot to find, if you get off the beaten track.

And that's what got me thinking. What if we could explore a Phantasy Star world this way, some day... ?

I think that an open ended world would be an good idea for PSO, but if they do that and remove quests/missions it could make the game seem almost meaningless. But if you could find NPCs that could give missions, that after you've completed them all you can return and replay would be a better system. Because otherwise hunting enemes/rares could be too random.

I think that doing a pre-quel to PSO would be an interesting storyline. Even though the ending might be a bit anti-climatic since you know how it ends up. Unless there is a major PLOT TWIST.
    Be prepared for life........because it has sharp objects.

I rather enjoyed Oblivion, was a nice visit back to the Elder Scrolls. I'd still be playing, but my Oblivion DVD is actually cracking from the center through to the label. I had the same thing happen to my Chromehounds DVD, ultimately it just stopped being readable. Kinda urks me since the Shivering Isle was released and I was looking forward to it. =

Now lets all sit and wait for Kent to come in and let us all know that Oblivion is a pile of steaming shit. =]
    Look, he did it again.

On 2007-04-18 11:26, Sinue_v2 wrote:
    My Morrowind character could kick your Oblivion character's ass.
    Dude... don't even go there.

Oh you're really missing out Abdur. Even if the entire expansion was pure-grade-A shit sauce (which it's not), Sheogorath ALONE makes it worth the purchase price. Haskil is a great character too...

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!