Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some time ago I was browsing trough some folders on my computer, and I found a terrible wallpaper (click at own risc). Worst thing is: I made this for some contest a few years ago, and I actually won it with this piece of crap! :|

Thats how I came up with the idea to remake the wallpaper:

(click for full size)

You might think: Hey there is something missing in the new one. Thats because I wasn't satisfied with the sketches of the other characters AND because I was to lazy to actually color them.

The linework could have been better, but at least I am satisfied with the coloring.

.. woops.. while typing this, I suddenly discovered that I forgot to draw the sectionID of the HUne.. oh well..

Heh....a bit harsh on yourself, no?
    The color work is very good.
    The flesh tone actually looks very odd on it's own (is that a filter/effect?), but it works very well with the rest of the image..
    Heh...it looks like they are natives posing for a tourist photo...

Hm~ on big pictures like this its easy to forget the little details.(ID)

I like the Fonneh's weapon.

Looks like you're working on some good color techniques there, skintone especially(though the application is a bit blotchy?). Porportions need some work/blah blah..

Theres definite improvement between two pieces, it'd be coo to see what else you can put together.

..though I cant help but think,

"Why are we smiling so brightly when the atmosphere is so creepy?"

Yeah, I know about the skin.. I tried to adjust the brightness and color of the 2 characters to make them match a bit more with the darker background (which is Central Control Area).

I still got problems with proportions and poses: The head of the Foney is to big, it should have been the same as the Huney. And also the arms look very odd.. if anyone got some good tips/tutorials/books for drawing poses, please share them

Here are some sketches and stuff I used for the pic:
    Sketches of the FOne and HUne

Here is the sketch of the HUcaseal. I really didn't like this one.. casts are hard to draw xD

The RAmarl was not even that bad. I just messed up with the head, but I could've fixed it while drawing the lines with my tablet.

Here is the screenshot I used (just painted it over) for the background

This is how the characters looked like in their orignal colors

Team Cyber Scale coordinator
    on the bottom of the deep abys (AKA my room)

ooooh, it's nice to see the breakdown of it :3 you've had a good improvement, that's for sure

No, the proportions aren't correct...for humans
    So, no worries, right?

PSO being the subject matter - well, it's Phantasy after all....the original design work and in-game models aren't exactly anatomically "correct" to begin with.
    I say, don't worry too much about physical accuracy...capturing the feel of the subject is more interesting....you've done very well, in this regard.

Have fun with it..

heh thanks

I know about the game models being anatomically incorrect.. which makes it alot harder to draw al the details without stretching things up (you can see that with the HUne. The belly of the ingame model is alot shorter, which leaves en empty space between the breasts and the belly).

For anyone who is interested in how I lined and colored the whole thing, you can download the .PSD file. It's pretty big (82MB zipped) so I will remove it as soon as I need the space on my webhost.
    http://sappusx.com/PSO_WPP.psd.zip

Man, that's a large file!
    What is the resolution?
    I'll check it out later, on a better connection.
    I usually do not get past the lineart stage before losing interest (at least for CG), so mine tend to be around 10MB at most...

Resolution: 5000x3172
    Amount of Layers: 63

and according to Photoshop(CS3) that is 719,3M of data

63? XD

I usually work in those resolutions, but I usually never get past 15 layers or so.. cant stand it.

Anymore than that just starts to annoy me and I start mergin' em.

Regardless, I think you should have kept the other two in anywho! The more the merrier, as far as group shots go~