Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Xmas is ruined, all because of the media.

It was a peacefull day in the vast spacings of my basement, playing PSO with glee. Then all of the sudden, my mother pays me a visit to my room. She stands in front of the TV flipping through my PS2 games...I said to her...

"Whatcha' doin' mom?"
    "Oh, Im just interested..." (Yeah right my mom doesnt even know how to START a computer.)

She then asks me if I have Grand theft auto, and if you own a PS2 I dont think their is a way not to have it. I say...no. I assumed that she saw something on Oprah or that satonic Dr. Phil about violence in videogames...nope. It was the WORLD NEWS TONIGHT, displaying the demons of grand theft auto. She told me if she ever found it she would throw away all my systems, my dad of course agreed with everything she said.

So now it is in hiding, waiting to be found. Stupid media!!! parents simply cant relate to games, and she seems to think this game will affect me...It has. FOR THE BETTER!!! nothing like coming home from school to do some vigilante in GTA.

Tom Brokaw...I'll get yoooUoUoUoUOou!!!!

GBN (Great Buffer Nawms)
    Sitting at a chair looking at a moniter. Duh

You better hide that thing well. How bad will it be, 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, if your mom finds it.

.. Bzzt..

.. This unit completely agrees with these statements. This unit submits a hypothesis that parents are simply too lethargic to do basic research on the questionable video games, and thus go on assumptions provided by a media system that promotes 'family values', which is something this unit finds completely irrelevant, as it's a blatant attempt to force all families to one fitting. From research in the field, this unit believes that such fitting is impossible and impractical, and does not trust provided media as a result.

.. This unit notes that the media puts forth this irrelevance because of the notion that has somehow manifested within their thoughts that the buyer doesn't know what they're getting into, and that children are unknowing of what reality and fantasy are. This unit blames various occurances within the United States for this nonsense, and notes that it will continue for the forseeable future because of this fear.

.. This unit will note that a suitable substitute for news programs is The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. This program is frequent with content and timeliness, and ignores said 'family values'.

.. Bzzt..

On 2002-12-21 11:50, Vol_Opt wrote:
    .. Bzzt..

.. This unit completely agrees with these statements. This unit submits a hypothesis that parents are simply too lethargic to do basic research on the questionable video games, and thus go on assumptions provided by a media system that promotes 'family values', which is something this unit finds completely irrelevant, as it's a blatant attempt to force all families to one fitting. From research in the field, this unit believes that such fitting is impossible and impractical, and does not trust provided media as a result.

.. This unit notes that the media puts forth this irrelevance because of the notion that has somehow manifested within their thoughts that the buyer doesn't know what they're getting into, and that children are unknowing of what reality and fantasy are. This unit blames various occurances within the United States for this nonsense, and notes that it will continue for the forseeable future because of this fear.

.. This unit will note that a suitable substitute for news programs is The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. This program is frequent with content and timeliness, and ignores said 'family values'.

.. Bzzt..
    Couldnt agree with your more. And on a scale of 1-10 if she finds it...well she would pawn off my GC and take away my laptop..so is that about a 10?

Thank God I've been a gamer since I was 4!

Atari, upped to a Nintendo, SNES, Sega, blah blah blah.

I'd get all kinds of games, gory or not and my mom would sit and watch me play. She found it as much fun to watch as I did to go through them. Did'nt matter how much blood was spilt or who got violated, it was always a game and she understood.

The problem with kids today is they don't invite their parents into their rooms to watch play games or play along, that way when your parents say something about all the gore or violence you can say "It's just a game and has no bearing on real life.".

...good luck, and yeah, you better hide that game. Infact if it risked all my systems I'd get rid of it. Losing one game is nothing compared to losing ALL of your stuff.
    Look, he did it again.

Game is rated 18 for a reason. o_O

Advice? Sell the game before your mother finds it. Or, give it away. Throw away the packaging and black the CD front. ^_^;

Well you see, I come from a Christian household (strongly) and no matter how I try to defend my case, my mom simply says it doesnt etify God. I realize this game is for "mature" people, but I think Im ahead of that. I own other M rated games (Red Faction II, RE, MGS2) but she didnt seem interested in seeing them, because they werent on the news. I just wish my parents would understand it's a game...I also wish the media would stop using videogames as an excuse to some of the F#*)ed up problems out there.

You know what? I could go into a long diatribe about Christians and religion, but I'm not. My best advice to you is get rid of the paper between the plastic and the case (ya know, the stuff that says "Grand Theft Auto"), also, remove the instruction booklet and either invert the disc when you put it in the case or if you have access to cd labels, put a blank one over it. If she asks about it, tell her it's a diagnostic disc for the PS2.

Here's how you hide GTA3.

1: Slide cover from case.
    2: Flip it over.
    3: Write "PS2 demo disk" on the reverse side.
    4: Slide cover back on.

How many moms are gonna look inside the case?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarode View Post
    Her chest is a cat, too.

FOnewearl Plushie Fan

I'm glad my parents trust me. The only way there'd be any sort of console removal would be me completely and utterly failing school, and even then there'd be less likelihood of them trying to take the Cube (which I bought and paid for with my own money, none of which they supplied) so much as I'd be told I had to fund my own life from then on.

When I was younger (young enough for there to BE parental right to take away my stuff--at this point if they sold my Cube I'd slap them with a lawsuit or criminal charges for theft--I'm 21, and thus an adult by most every definition) my parents were concerned that the games I played could lead to trouble, but they were usually willing to trust me on it, and they did research of their own before assuming that the media was correct. Even then, the only thing that'd get stuff confiscated--never permanently removed, either--was if my marks suffered.