Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

On 2002-12-30 16:21, Coran_Horn wrote:
    I like a hard game, but I wasn't ready for the old Phantasy Stars. Gamers sure have gotten soft in the past decade In both PS1 and PS2 I had to spend my first hour or two leveling up for the first dungeons. Maybe I just suck or something. Anyway, I have a question. What am I supposed to do at the begining of Phantasy Star I? I figured out that you need the flash thing to see in the Medusa cave, but I don't know what to do now. I've been through the entire thing several times. I found the guy turned to stone, I got the treasure chests, and I checked the dead ends for secret doors or something, but I found nothing. Someone here must know what to do.

Oh, does anyone else find the quasi-3D dungeons in PS1 to be a little confusing?
    Go buy yourself some graph paper and map those dungeons out. You'll save yourself alot of trouble. As far as direction in the early game?

Get the laconian pot in that first town.
    Save up money and go to Scion (short walk east).
    Buy a "secret" from I think the second hand shop.
    Go to the space port and head to Motavia.
    Trade the pot for a cat.
    Go to medusa's cave and get Odin.
    Head north of scion to Naula cave and buy a cake inside (this is where you probably WANT to start mapping).
    Take the cake to the govenor on motavia.
    Head north to another cave (map map map) and get Noah (cough Lutz).

Grats- you're done with the opening.

I am working on a guide for this game as time permits

Saigan PSZ FC: 1161-9928-1181

On 2007-03-01 15:11, Saigan wrote:

Go buy yourself some graph paper and map those dungeons out. You'll save yourself alot of trouble. As far as direction in the early game?

Get the laconian pot in that first town.
    Save up money and go to Scion (short walk east).
    Buy a "secret" from I think the second hand shop.
    Go to the space port and head to Motavia.
    Trade the pot for a cat.
    Go to medusa's cave and get Odin.
    Head north of scion to Naula cave and buy a cake inside (this is where you probably WANT to start mapping).
    Take the cake to the govenor on motavia.
    Head north to another cave (map map map) and get Noah (cough Lutz).

Grats- you're done with the opening.

I am working on a guide for this game as time permits

You have to buy "Secrets" three times before you get the Road Pass.

On 2007-03-02 06:02, Obscenity wrote:

Woops, how right you are.

Saigan PSZ FC: 1161-9928-1181

On 2007-02-25 21:29, Omega_Weltall wrote:
    For the release of Phantasy Star 2, it came with a 210 ( i think) page hint book for it. And OH is it needed. Ya I actually had the original cart when it was released... goddamn i'm old >_<
    I got my original cart at a used-game store and the hintbook was missing. ^_^ I have every dungeon in PSII mapped out on ten-squares-to-the-inch graph paper (hey, at least it's not Bard's Tale, with first-person view dungeons and two-dimensional walls on the edges of the squares!). This may well play into why PSII is by far my least favorite of the series. ^_-

On 2007-03-03 07:27, Saigan wrote:
    On 2007-03-02 06:02, Obscenity wrote:

Woops, how right you are.

Luckily you only have to pay for them the third time, considering how hard you have to grub for money in PSI!

I was playin' PSII and I was completely blasting every enemy in the first dungeon, but I go to the next floor and promptly get pwned most fully by the first random enemy, I'm like WTF?!
    I got frustrated with it and haven't played it in a while...

PSII is brutal early on, between the encounter rate, the difficulty of the monsters, the crappy meseta flow, and the size of the dungeons. The worst offender is level 3 of Nido, though. If you happen to blunder into a three-Blaster random encounter in which they get a round of surprise, they can actually wipe out your entire party at full HP before you even get the chance to run away or get off an attack. And given how big Level 3 is and how much of Levels 1 and 2 you have to go through just to get there... *shudder*

oooh yeah
    The three Blasters are kind of a boss for this dungeon though.
    I remember hating them with a passion back then (screwed me twice on teh same day,I lost a lot of time...)
    Oserez-vous percer le mystère de la malédiction ?
    www.hinamizawa.fr

Ahh, PSII...I used to play it as a child, I was able to get some of the NEIweapons on Dezo, but I think I was missing one at the time, cause I was stuck. I had no access to hints or guides. Over fifteen years later I play it, still without access to hints or guides (or willingness to use the internet for hints prior to finishing a game), I was able to beat it, without needing even half the patience that I once had.

Here's a tip: Just go play PSII on the Sega Genesis Collection for the PS2. It is a LOT easier, but the only real effet in this difficulty reduction is a significantly reduced need to be patient. The dungeons are still hard as fuck, but you won't have to worry about being wiped out by Blasters since you can just save state (like on an emulator XD). So dying from something beyond your control means significantly less time lost.

Oh, PSI..I think that one's my favorite of the classic series. The first-person dungeons, for their time, are just so badass. I don't need no stinking map! And only in the beginning was there a need for patient grinding bullshit. I thought the dungeons would be harder though, simply because I've been spoiled by the full 360-degree movement and sidestepping in the King's Field and Shadow Tower series for Playstation and PS2. <_< I'm surprised I could go back to tile-based movement.

Oh, and here's a fun fact: The end of the Air Castle in PSI is the very same as the end of the Air Castle in PSIV! Ahhh reverse nostalgia...(then again, THAT layout isn't very hard to replicate in a top-down dungeon design!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2007-05-29 08:46 ]</font>

It kind of bothers me that they aren't entirely the same. Then again, if Motavia and Dezolis are allowed to almost completely change their geography every thousand years, I suppose La Shiec/Lassic is allowed to redecorate while he's waiting for Rune & co to show up. Though next time he should hire an interior decorator to make the place a bit more home-y.

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.