Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are the people at ST now the same people who were there 10 years ago? Or is it pretty much a whole new company with an old label?

I'm asking because PSU doesn't feel like PSO at all to me. I realize it's intended to be a whole new game, but usually game studios sort of put their unique touch on each game they make. Square-Enix games for example all have a similar vibe. You could tell if a game was made by them just by playing it.

But I don't really get that from PSU. I'm wondering if the original PSO creators had nothing to do with PSU.

It's made by the same guy (Yuji Naka) if that's what you're asking.

Other than that, I don't have the current Employee roster for Sega of Japan right now... >.>

The Sonic Teams which made Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star Online, and Phantasy Star Universe are all largely different. It's all the same company, but personnel shakeups are bound to happen over the course of 20 years. Although there are some people who have stayed with the series over the course of it's entire lifespan. The storyboard and CGI planner for the cutscenes in PSU was the same guy who did the planning and storyboarding for the PSIV:EotM comic-cutscenes.

However, Rieko and Tohru have moved on to another company, leaving Yuji Naka in charge of PSO. This time around, Yuji Naka was in the process of moving to a new company in the middle of PSU's development - and left it mostly in the hands of Takao Miyoshi.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

ST is ST. so yes.
    ID: Haseyo FO
    Character: Roll Caskett | Ship: 02
    Character: Hsien-Ko | Ship: 02

The whole sega has changed a lot in 10 years

Not sure if the ST of now is the same ST of the PSO era, but they do carry the same logo, so I assume its the same group.

Kind of disagree with you about the Square-Enix bit, but I guess that's beside the point.

Marshmallow | Female Newman lvl. 143
    Fortetecher lvl. 20 | Acrotecher lvl. 20 | Wartecher lvl. 10 | Masterforce lvl. 4 (lol)
    Other characters: Tulip (beast FF), Holly Bee (human PT), and Morning Chimes (cast GT).

Miyoshi directed both PSO and PSU I believe.

Phantasy Star Online originally came out in Japan on November 21, 2000. Sonic Team Japan gained quite a few members when United Game Artists (Space Channel 5, Rez) was merged with the team back in 2003. Apparently ten members left with Yuji Naka to form Prope in 2006.

I think it's still mostly the same people. Although the guy at top handling the project has changed.

The only way to really be sure, I suppose, is to compare the credits rolls for both games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-10-18 14:30 ]</font>
    Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

On 2007-10-18 09:54, HFlowen wrote:
    It's made by the same guy (Yuji Naka) if that's what you're asking.

Other than that, I don't have the current Employee roster for Sega of Japan right now... >.>
    LOL, Yuji Naka has absolutely NOTHING to do with Phantasy Star Online. He helped create i believe 1, 3 and 4, (it was either 2 or 3 that flopped because Reiko and Yuji diddnt work on them) but Phantasy Star ONLINE had absolutely nothing to do with him.

Hell, i dont believe even REIKO had anything to do with the Online series.

so no, they arent.