Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The BlackHawks: First Family of PSOW
    Pioneer City, Skyly Sector, Residential Block 7 East.

This fic is the result of a lot of work, and delving into an old PS game as well. I got to thinking, what if Dark Falz is nothing but a powered down version of Dark Force from PS4. And we know that though the Profound Darkness was defeated in PS4, there can be no light without darkness, so it's probable that the PD survived the battle, but not without losing a goodly amount of its power. Maybe in this incarnation of Dark Force, the Profound Darkness wasn't able to muster enough power to create a full Dark Force, and created the consciousness that is Dark Falz in PSO.

I was thinking of different titles for this fic for days. It finally hit me when I was asleep one night. To me, being depressed is sort of like falling into a bottomless abyss. But you know there has to be a end somewhere. Keeping hope alive, to me, is the one thing that keeps us, as people going.

When exploring the different personalities of my PSO characters, my FOmarl, Rhiana, hit me as being the most emotional of the three BlackHawk children. I wondered how she would deal with certain situations, such as losing someone she cared about. So, I started planning this fic last week. With help from Davion starting in chapter 2, I do hope to show the real inner strength of Rhiana Michelle BlackHawk in this fic, entitled
    :

"Back from the Abyss"
    A Phantasy Star Online fanfiction by
    M_BlackHawk

Chapter 1:
    Tragedy and Aftermath

Rhiana had woke early that morning, in her room, to see a message showing in her BEE uplink. She clicked the small machine's "read" button and checked the messages.

"Rhiana," the message read, "Gov. Tyrell has asked me to get a partner for an emergency quest, starting tomorrow at noon. I can only bring one person with me, as we'll be accompanied by two members of the colony military group, WORKS. They will act as our special government liason. I'll tell you more when we meet at the guild tomorrow at 11:00am. Please meet me then. Takezo."

"That's strange," she thinks to herself, "His messages usually have more to them than this." A worried look comes to the young FOmarl's face as she continues to think about the message. After picking out a suit and fixing her long, sandy brown hair, she walked down to be met by her mother, Lara.

"Is something wrong?" the mother asks of her daughter, "You look a little worried."

"I got a message from Takezo on the BEE uplink," Rhiana answers, "But it wasn't like the others I've received from him. I've got a strange feeling that something's wrong with this emergency quest."

"Emergency quest? Don't tell me Tyrell's handed down another one. Didn't we just destroy the Pioneer 1 Central dome for that jackass?"

"I know. Something tells me there's more to this than we think. Takezo's message sounded like he was worried. I'll know more later. If I need help, I'll call you."

"Ok, Rhiana." Lara says, hugging her middle child, "Just be careful. I'll call in a favor and see if I can find out more about this."

Time goes by and 11:00am arrives as Rhiana's waiting at the Hunter's guild for her long time friend, Takezo. The HUmar arrives just shortly after 11, with a strange RAmar and RAmarl with him. Rhiana notices the strange way he's behaving, and his worried facial expression, and walking manner. She looks over the female ranger, noticing one or two similarities between her and her mother, but dismisses the thought. The RAmar looked like he wasn't long before retiring from service. His dark hair had streaks of gray across the sides of his head. She wagered that he was roughly in his mid 60's and really wasn't keen on going on this mission.

"Rhiana?" the RAmarl says, "You're the partner that Takezo is bringing?"

"How do you know me?" the FOmarl asks, "I've never seen you."

"I'm your aunt, Shiara Mano," she answers, "Does Lara know you're on this quest?"

"I'm already 17, Aunt Shiara. I can take care of myself, and got the highest marks in my class at the force academy. I've helped Mom and Dad on several quests already. It's not like I'm some green newbie who just started."

"Ok, Ok," Shiara tells her, "You look like you can fend for yourself with your techs. I'll back off."

"Just what is this quest?" Rhiana asks, fearing the worst, "From Takezo's worried tone in his message, it sounds urgent."

"It is," the RAmar answers, "I'm Brig. General James Morgan of military intelligence. Tyrell was going to send WORKS on this, but I used my pull in military affairs to get Shiara and myself placed on this mission. We have reason to believe that someone is messing with several different items of immense power. We've detected the energy signatures on Gal Da Val island. The signatures are closely related to the dark crystals in the old ruins that were sent away after the Shade Stalker incident, as well as having several similarities to the D-Cells
    that took over Heathcliff Flowen, and a strange relic that was destroyed by your grandfather before Pioneer 1 left our homeworld of Coral, not to mention the artificial falz that Master created. If someone is merging those powers, then it could only be for no good. Mike and Lara have the most experience in these matters, but they're retired from active service. We wanted to get Jessica to
    help, but it seems that Takezo contacted you instead of your sister."

"You'll need an experienced force anyway," Rhiana advises him, "I'll do my best."

"I just hope it's enough," Takezo says, "Whatever's merging those powers," his voice trails off as Gen. Morgan leads the party to a teleporter. They transport from their location to a secluded area of Gal Da Val island, where they come acoss the energy signatures again. A pillar of megid-like energy is shooting up from the heart of the central control area, into the skies over the island.

There are, strangely, no monsters in the area, as they proceed cautiously toward Central Control. Not a word is said between the four as the doors open, allowing them to press further in.

The strange energies get stronger and stronger the further in the party goes. Rhiana can somehow feel the influence of master's artificial falz and the twisted song project mixed in with the power of Dark Falz, which she felt from Shade Stalker, and two sources she couldn't recognize. She looks over at Takezo, who still doesn't like the idea of coming on this mission. The young FOmarl then looks over to her aunt, Shiara, who gives her a reassuring look, then continues on without speaking.

The party comes to a locked door, where Shiara takes out a small computer and begins to hack the security code. In a matter of minutes the door silently opens, as the group looks in to see a man, probably a force, dressed in all black, with black hair and a, strangely, not carrying a cane, rod or wand.

"With the power from these artifacts," the strange FOmar mutters, "I can resurrect my lord before the millennial cycle comes again. That creature that
    they killed before was but a fraction of the true beast that is my lord, Dark Force."

"Dark Force?" Takezo asks, "Rhiana, have you read anything about a Dark Force, in your studies?"

"No, this is all new to me," Rhiana answers, "Apparently this wacko is going to
    try to use those relics to release something more powerful than Dark Falz. Aunt Shiara, Gen. Morgan, what now?"

"We've got to stop this, no matter what," Morgan answers, as he shoulders his rifle, and fires off a shot at the black force's head. The photon bullet
    dissipates as it hits a barrier.

"I do so hate when insects try to interfere in my work," the force mutters, "Especially those that do not know who or what they are messing with. You cannot stop the arrival of my ultimate lord and master, Dark Force, with those mere weapons. Dark Force will live again, and he will destroy all." He stands there as Morgan unloads volley after volley from his rifle, but the shots do no good.

"Is this really all the resistance that you people can muster?" the black clad force asks, "You really are pathetic." He unleashes a wave of black magic
    towards Rhiana.

"LOOK OUT!" Takezo yelled as he rushed at his long-time friend, shoulder rushing her out of the way of the powerful megid spell. Rhiana is pushed from the path of the spell, but Takezo's body is engulfed in the magic power and falls to the side, right into the young FOmarl's arms.

"Takezo?" she asks quietly to the limp body of her friend. With no response, she tries a reverser spell, but it has no effect. She clutches his body as she starts to sob.

"Rhiana, we have to get out of here," Shiara Mano tells her niece, "We can't stop this guy with what we have here. Come on!" Rhiana doesn't move from the spot where she fell and caught Takezo. Shiara runs over and grabs Rhiana, pulling her and Takezo through a telepipe that Morgan had dropped to make their escape. The two arrive back at the Colony's medical center, where Takezo is pronounced deceased upon arrival. Rhiana doesn't leave his side until he's taken to the mortuary.

Three days later, in the Hunter's Memorial Park, the BlackHawk family, Shiara Mano, and a good number of hunters stood, paying memory to the young HUmar who
    fell. Rhiana, herself, had placed a few mums on the grave. After the others had dispersed, She stood there for a while longer.

"What happened out there, Shiara," Mike asked, "What could have caused that surge of power?"

"That FOmar is using powers from a cracked crystal from the old Ruins, shards of a relic your father had destroyed, D-Cells from the corpse of Heathcliff Flowen, and a portion of Master's Twisted Song to bring back something called 'Dark Force'," Shiara answered, "Nothing we could do would break through his barrier, and his Megid spell seemed like a lance of black power. It was headed toward Rhiana, when Takezo threw himself in front of the spell. The rest, as you know.."

"Is history," Lara says, finishing her sister's statement, "Well, I guess we have to talk to someone about that relic, then. Mike's father never told him about that thing, but there's one person who may know something that could prove useful."

Back at the gravesite, Rhiana kneeled on her knees, her head in her hands. Her sister, Jessica, stood over her, a hand on her shoulder, wishing she knew what to say to her younger sibling.

Just what'll happen next? Find out in the next chapter of "Back from the Abyss."

-----------------------------------------------------
    Later

M_BlackHawk

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: M_BlackHawk on 2003-01-11 07:50 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: M_BlackHawk on 2003-02-20 08:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: M_BlackHawk on 2003-02-28 18:43 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: M_BlackHawk on 2003-03-01 17:56 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: M_BlackHawk on 2003-03-10 15:45 ]</font>

Wielder of Divine Might

Great, I like it. Keep it up.

poor Rhi

Nice fic though, can't wait for more o.o

Battle Fiend

Great but I don't read stuff online unless it important to me/.
    Gamertag: NoobBlenjar

Wielder of Divine Might

On 2003-01-10 15:54, Blenjar wrote:
    Then don't post. I for one love reading Blackhawk's fics. Of course, they do concern me now, but I'd like 'em anyway.

On 2003-01-10 15:54, Blenjar wrote:
    Then, for heaven's sake, don't read it. I've seen you posting this B.S. in several fic threads already and am getting sick and tired of it. We fic writers are putting our best efforts into our writings, only to have you putting it down for no reason whatsoever.

If you don't like reading our fanfics, THEN GO THE HECK AWAY!!!!

I hope beyond hope that you don't post something like this in my next fic, "Steel Spirit", because it's not helping me get ideas to better my writing.

TO MODS: This spamming joker is slowly crossing the line to becoming an annoyance. I hate to post something like this, but I've had enough of seeing him putting down the efforts of the great fic writers on this forum. I've enjoyied every work of fanfiction and fanart that's been posted here, and it burns me to no end that someone would be making these malicous spam posts in regards to these people's hard work.

later

M_BlackHawk

I'm sorry I apologize for this guys actions I'm gonna PM him now and let him know I don't appreciate this and this will be his warning.

Thanks, eRUPT.

As I said, I hate to be one to complain, but when someone is putting down the hard work of so many folks on this forum, I get ticked off to no end. Let's hope that this sends him a message. "CUT THAT OUT!"

later

M_BlackHawk

I had a shot of inspiration last night from a quiet night at work, so I worked out the 2nd chapter in my mind, and typed it up this morning. So, here it is.

Back from the Abyss

Chapter 2
    Renewed Purpose

Another week has passed since the failed mission on Gal Da Val island. Allinformation about the mission, those involved, and the strange force had been listed as Classified by the government. Takezo was listed as KIA, or killed in action.

At the BlackHawk home, the family wasn't so much worried about the strange force,as they were worried about one of their own. This morning, Jessica Lynn
    BlackHawk had risen early, only to find the door next to hers still locked, and sad music still coming from inside the room. She looks at the door for a minute, then walks downstairs to find her mother talking to her two sisters, Shiara and
    Riala, both clad in military uniform.

"I'm sorry, Lara," Riala told her sister, "I had been following that guy for months now. He had hit several different museums and archaeological sites. We never figured out a pattern till he stole a privately owned spacecraft and followed a Ranger off of Ragol, to a moon of our homeworld of Coral."

"A ranger?" Lara asks, "What would he follow a ranger of the guild for?"

"That disc fragment," Riala answers, "We didn't know about the ruins crystal and D-Cells until that mission on Gal Da Val Island, but we knew about the relic shard, and the fragment of Master's twisted song disc. He gave me the slip on the Coralian moon, and I didn't know where he had gotten to, until just last week, when Shiara told me about what happened."

"This just keeps getting more and more interesting," Jess says, announcing her presence, "So you knew this guy was potentially dangerous, but didn't tell us, or your superiors?"

"We didn't know what his purpose was," Riala replies, "I couldn't get an order to take him in, unless I knew what his true purpose. Then, I could act. Working in intelligence doesn't give you a license to kill, Jessie."

"Great," the younger HUnewearl thinks out loud, "Look, I'm not so much worried about this guy, as I am about Rhiana. Do you realize that she's not come out of that room since the funeral? That music just keeps playing over and over, and I've lost count of the times I've heard her cry herself to sleep over this mess."

"Well," Lara tells her eldest daughter, "I think Shiara and I are going to go to Angelus Manor later today to talk to Seifer about that relic. Mike set it up through Amelia. Maybe Rhiana can come with us."

"I don't think she'll want to go anywhere," Mike BlackHawk, patriarch of the family, advises his wife, "Takezo's death hit her pretty hard. However, maybe if she talked to someone who understood what she was going through, she'd come out of her shell."

"I think I know what you're talking about, Honey. Call Amelia and see if she'll talk to her."

"I'll tell Rhiana you want her to come along," Jessica chimes in, "I hope this works."

It's about 3 in the afternoon when Rhiana, Lara and Shiara walked up to the door of Angelus Manor. They are greeted at the door by Mike's sister, Amelia. "Glad you could come by," she says to her sister-in-law and niece, "I'm so sorry about what happened."

"I know," Lara answered, "We've looked and looked for information on that relic, but there's nothing listed in any database or library. That's why we need to talk to your husband."

"I'm sure he'll be glad to help you," Amelia tells Lara, "Oh, Rhiana. There's someone I want you to talk to, as well. I think she knows exactly what you're going through. Lara, Seifer's in the library. You can lead Shiara there. I'll take Rhiana to the other room, ok?"

"That's fine," Lara says, leading Shiara off toward the library, "Rhiana, catch up to us later, ok?"

"Ok, Mom," Rhiana answers, not sounding too enthused about anything. The young FOmarl is then lead upstairs to a room at the end of the hallway.

"Just go on in," Amelia tells her niece, "Aravis hasn't had much company lately. I'm confident you two will get along quite nicely." She opens the door and Rhiana steps through.

"Ms. Aravis?" Rhiana asks of the lady sitting in a chair at the other side of the room.

"You must be Rhiana," Aravis answers, "Yes, I'm Aravis Angelus. Amelia told me about you. Mike BlackHawk's daughter, am I right? I heard about your friend. My Sympathies are with you."

"Thank you," Rhiana replies, "I just don't know what to do. He used to send me messages at random, or drop by for no reason but to say hi. He even left me a stuffed rag rappy in my guild mailbox only a week before the mission."

"You cared for him," Aravis thinks out loud, "I can tell by your voice. And It seems he cared for you too. Rhiana, I can tell you that everyone who takes up the business of being a hunter knows the risk that is imminent. I'm sure you knew it when you joined. But, it always does hurt to lose someone you're that close to."

"You know?" Rhiana asks

"Do I ever," Aravis responds, "I have no way of knowing if my husband is alive or dead. He disappeared a few years ago, and we don't know what happened to him."

"Dad told me about that. I'm sorry."

"Don't be," the elder tells Rhiana, "I was once something that I still hold as some of the wisest advice I've ever had. Someone once told me that though we live relatively short lives, it's how fully we live that life really matters, and
    that becomes our true legacy. And that same person told me that the hardest thing about this world, is living in it. Rhiana, Takezo wouldn't want you to
    spend your remaining years in isolation just because of that. He gave you a gift when he pushed you out of the way of that spell. That gift was your continued life."

"I think I understand," Rhiana replies, "You really do understand."

"Yes, I do. Now, give what I told you some thought," Aravis advises Rhiana, "And
    then make up your mind as to what you want to do."

"I will," Rhiana responds, "Thank you." She then gets up to leave the room, looking more thoughtful. As she opens the door, she is met by a tall, brown
    haired young man. "Oh, I'm sorry," she tells him.

"It't not a problem," he replies, "And you are?"

"Rhiana BlackHawk," she answers, "You?"

"Daxion Angelus," the boy says, sheepishly, "Sorry for almost running into you." She gives him a slight smile before leaving the room, headed to meet her mother in the library. She finally reaches the her goal, where Seifer is telling her mother and aunt all he knows about the ancient relic, and about the project that his father, and her grandfather were involved in, and the events surrounding the
    relic's shattering.

Following Seifer's explanation, and a little light conversation, which Rhiana really wasn't much part of, the trio left Angelus manor heading back to the
    BlackHawk home, where Rhiana headed back to her room, after getting a few books off of a shelf. Lara started noticing a difference in her daughter when she arrived from her conversation with Aravis, but something else seemed strange about her demeanor.

Rhiana sat down at her desk quietly, and started thumbing through of the texts she had brought up. The words that Aravis told her running ever more repeatedly through her mind. When she had read through most of the first two chapters, she
    closed her eyes and pictured the events of the failed mission in her mind. All the while, she heard Aravis telling her not to waste the final gift that Takezo had given her, her life. She opened her eyes, and closed the book, before standing up from her chair. She shuts off her radio and goes downstairs to find her mother still talking to Shiara, Rhiala and Mike. "Mom," She began, "Do we
    still have those old books that Dad brought from Coral?"

"Actually, I had the really old ones transferred to optical disk," Lara answered, "What's wrong?"

"Just something I want to look up, that's all." She finds the disks and takes them down to the family's computer room, where she begins pouring over the
    information available. "There's got to be something on this 'Dark Force' somewhere in these texts," she thinks, "where else can I find a wealth of information?" Her search through the texts at her home brings some good leads, but nothing solid. That leads her to another perplexing question. "Where will I find what I'm looking for?" She asks herself, "Where can I find a way to dispel
    that blasted barrier?"

"Who could be here now?" Amelia Angelus asks herself as she answers the door, only to find Rhiana standing there.

"Aunt Amelia," Rhiana says, "I need to search your library for any information dating back to Coral, or back even further."

"Well," Seifer Angelus thinks, walking up behind Amelia, "Come on in. We'll help you as much as we can."

The trio searches long and hard through the archive that is the Angelus library, finding several large books, and a few optical disks that hold all sorts of history and information dating back before Coral was even settled.

"What are you looking for?" Amelia asks her niece.

"Anything on a 'Dark Force', and how to dispel a barrier made from that monster's power," Rhiana answers, "If we're going to stop that guy from reviving this Dark Force, We've got to act quickly. He's already had almost two weeks to work."

Will Rhiana find what she's looking for? Find out in the next chapter in "Back from the Abyss".

Wielder of Divine Might

Great chapter! I really like how you're expanding on the characters, this fic seems better written than any of your other fics. And I'm not just biased because my characters are in it.