Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Svm Inimicus Mali

At long last, I completed the first part of my plannedly looooong fanfiction detailing who Kupi is and where's come from and where he's going. I can't really say much more about it... I'll let the rest of the post tell the story! ^_^

---

They had called it planet Coral. Not that many people called it that in any time frame we're concerned with right now; at this point they called it "a pile of dust floating in space." This planet had been destroyed to practically nothing, though fair warning was given in the form of dying plants, dehydrated land, rampant monsters, and more. Nobody was beyond these warnings, not even a small, innocuous village on a peninsula far removed from common trade circles and politics. It was a city unto itself, self-sufficient and rooted in a religion that seemed to be dying with the planet itself.

The city was of moderate size, and largely residential or farmland, though very little could be wrested from the dying ground. Most prominent in the city of Auris was the governor Paretae's mansion, a building that towered above the rest and spoke of hope amid desolation. Their religion oft demanded peace from them, but the people of this city weren't stupid; any town lacking walls and defenses was a sitting target for monster and human attack alike. Its inhabitants, as everything on Coral, were affected by the planet's throes of death, themselves barely carrying on from one day to the next. There was, however, an exception in their midst.

He was short, very short for his age of 18 years. Somehow, amid all the death and desolation surrounding him, he had been blessed with a hopelessly optimistic personality that refused to be brought down. At the moment he was walking to his home where he and his brothers lived with a bag of meat, the only food he'd managed to purchase. The brothers lived alone, having lost their father to monsters and their mother to disease. He and his brothers had all been born three years apart, with the eldest 24 and the most youthful 15. His hair, a bright orange, fell down nearly to his waist. This was not a great distance, however; the boy was rather short, and with his unblemished face he was often taken for being far younger than he truly was or, worse yet, as being of the opposite gender. Those who suggested the latter often got a kick in the shins.

The boy's name was Kupi.

Presently Kupi opened the door to his home and yelled, "I'm back! What's up?" The first to notice was a man reclining on a sofa near the back of the room on the opposite side from the house's entrance. He had spiked black hair and wore a robe of matching hue, with a red dragon embroidered onto the front. His face displayed emotions utterly opposite that of Kupi's; if anyone was fit to live on a dying planet, this man would be it. Perhaps a few of these emotions stemmed from a significant difference of anatomy compared to humans; the man had pointed, elfish ears protruding conspicuously from the side of his head rather than normal ones, and such an anomaly would certainly attract suspicious attention, the kind that could annoy one to no end when one had to tolerate it for 21 years.

"The stench of death hangs over us all," he spat.

"Ah, you say that every day, Kupe," answered Kupi knowingly, heading for the kitchen. "I got the meat, but not much. And monster meat, at that. Sorry, Kupu..." he said to the boy that was there after he arrived.

"That's okay, Kupi," Kupu answered. "I'm glad you managed to get any. And we probably ought to only eat half what we usually do at that; we don't know when there'll be more. Man..." At this, the teenager dropped off. Such lapses were common to Kupu. Whereas the rest of the family barring Kupi had been born before Coral began to show signs of its collapse, Kupu had been raised to be used to it. Kupi had his odd personality to keep him afloat; Kupu had to develop a hardened shell of sanity to survive. He was always planning ahead, ready for anything. Perhaps it was for that reason that the 15-year-old served as an intern at the city's walls of defense, helping to avert monster attacks before they started by sniping encroaching beasts before they got too close.

Kupi was just about to return to his own room and was actually halfway down the hall before the front door of the house burst open and slammed against the wall, so great was the haste behind its opening. The one who had burst in was the last of the brothers, and the eldest at 24 years. In the absence of a father, the job of supporting the family had fallen on his shoulders, which had adapted to the task. In his muscular arms he held a scythe, an heirloom from his father. It served two purposes; primarily to harvest the meager crops that Coral yielded, but it also performed well in combat when the need for meat drove the city's people to hunting and eating monsters.

"What's up, Kupae?" asked Kupi, who had crossed the gap immediately upon hearing the door bang. Kupe remained fixed disinterestedly on the couch, and Kupu seemed to care more for the door's well-being than Kupae's.

The scythe-wielder panted, the sweat of a run running off of his brow. His message was imperative enough, however, to cause him to gasp it out before his breath returned. "Monsters!"

Kupu ceased examining the hole in the wall that the doorknob had created. When Kupae said "monsters," it didn't mean two or three. It took far more than that to unnerve this warrior. "How many?" Kupu asked, spending only as many words and as much time as he needed to.

"Thousands."

Things moved quickly from there. Both Kupu and Kupae rushed for their respective rooms and grabbed whatever gear they owned. Kupu was the first to leave the house, bearing solely a large rifle. Kupae took more time to gird his loins for battle, requiring armor, a helmet, and a few secondary weapons. He was, of course, captain of Auris's defense. Only after both of the combatative brothers had left did Kupe rise from his seat, striding coldly out the door. This left Kupi alone, which unnerved the boy. After several seconds of this, he couldn't stand it any longer and bolted to find one of his brothers.

Kupe, seemingly, had disappeared. Kupu was stationed at the wall, beyond Kupi's reach of authority. Kupae was talking to his subordinates, but Kupi could at least wait on the outskirts of the increasingly large crowd of citizens ready to defend a failing way of life. They wielded pickaxes, pitchforks, and reaping scythes. Hardly the weaponry of a mighty or conquering army, but they didn't have anything better, for resources or time. Kupi could hear Kupae shouting orders to everyone, apparently finishing up.

"Look for the biggest monsters and attack them first. Form groups; take them down as a team. They're big and they've got the superior numbers but you all remember the War of Shades, right?" This was followed by a roar of approval. The War of Shades was a legend passed down through the generations of Auris regarding a similar assault that had once befallen their city. By now it was largely fictional but inspiring nonetheless. Once the din had died down, Kupae shouted a general order. "Everyone spread out and face the wall on the monsters' side. We want to surprise as many as we can!"

The people obeyed save one, which was Kupi. He made a beeline for Kupae, who had positioned himself near the center of the plaza that the impromptu battle council had taken place in. "How can I help?" Kupi asked.

"Stay out of it, Kupi," Kupae answered bluntly. "You're going to get yourself hurt if you try to fight."

"But...! I can do some healing, and--"

"No. Kupi, everyone's fighting to save their homes and their families. It's a matter of providing for the people they love, and that's my role." With that, the elder brother was quiet. There was something was on Kupae's mind. Kupi could tell by the way Kupae was so resolutely focused on the task of staying focused, gripping his scythe tightly and staring a hole in the city gates.

"...Kupae?" Kupi prodded.

"Find somewhere to hide, Kupi," Kupae ordered. "And good luck."

It appeared as though the debate was, for the time, settled. Though likely due to Kupae's forceful tone and position of power over Kupi, it was equally likely that it was the way that Kupae charged off to the front of the town.

Just prior, the town snipers were doing their job dutifully, taking potshots at each and every monster they could get within their sights. One intimidating insectoid creature collapsed in its tracks as a photonic shot blazed through its neck. The creature downed was so large that its fall took a few lesser monsters with it.

"Good shot, Kupu," said one of the boys fellow guardsmen. After a brief "thanks," Kupu returned to his work. With the skill and reflex of a hardened mind, Kupu nailed the three skittering horrors that had managed to survive getting fallen on. If they could keep this barrage up, they might just save the city before it needed saving...

The Captain of the wall defense peered out into the putrid throng with binoculars, scanning for targets to order the men to focus on. In the worst possible scenario, he wanted to have as few of the big ones get to the city. The Captain's mind wandered as his vision panned back and forth across the field. Why were all these monsters attacking at once? It felt like their city had been singled out as a threat. What had they done to deserve this plague, and this single-minded bum rush?

Then he spotted It.

A chill ran down the Captain's spine as he realized what was to happen next. He slowly dropped the binoculars, which hit the stone floor of the guard tower with a clack. Silently, the Captain prayed that at least his soul would be saved.

It let out a scream.

The entire wall exploded in a giant string of fireballs, leaving nothing but some charred rubble behind when the smoke had cleared.

That was why, at this moment, Kupae was heading for the remains of the wall. The monsters would be coming over soon, and he had to be there to defend Auris. With determination born of shock, Kupae forced his body into motion, leaving Kupi confused. Kupae had far better reflexes than Kupi did, and Kupi's mind hadn't fully processed the fact that the city's defenses were down and everyone that was on the wall, including his brother Kupu, was dead.

"Come, Kupi," said a voice behind him, before the body connected to the voice grabbed him by the shoulder. It was Kupe. "Things are going to move quickly. We must go to the governor's mansion."
    With no coherent thought running through his mind, Kupi allowed himself to be guided.

"What?" he managed at last.

"Kupu is dead. Kupae will soon die, as will I and everyone else. Death hangs over us all," Kupe said with the stony absence of emotion that only a prophet of death can manage. That jarred Kupi's mind back into motion.

"N--... No! That's not possible!" he shouted. "We've gotta do something!" What that happened to be, or what exactly he actually *could* do in this situation entirely escaped Kupi. But the will to action was there, at least. To this, Kupe simply sneered and kept his regular, disdainful pace.

Open warfare had erupted at the city's front half. People were jabbing, stomping, smashing all manner of repulsive beasts, and the monsters were just as easily returning the favor. Kupae circled behind a large, mantislike being that had crossed the pile of rubble while a few townspeople kept it distracted. In a single motion, Kupi leapt onto to the mantis' back and took off half of its body with a single swipe of his scythe, resulting in one dead bug and a lot of green blood. Jumping off, Kupae glanced at the four people currently under his command, scanned for another bug, found one, and then pointed at it, yelling, "That one! Go!"

The four people went. Kupae, however, felt a sudden presence that demanded his attention. Looking over the mound of wall remains, Kupae saw It float over. From where the feeling came, he didn't know, but Kupae was overwhelmed with the will to destroy It. Everything else disappeared from his perceptions expect It and him. Kupae let out a thunderous war cry before pounding towards It. He gripped the scythe by its very end, preparing to cut It with every bit of leverage he could muster...

Every bone in his body snapped in two. Instantly his grip released, with no conscious function behind it. Kupae's dead body fell, driven forward by the previous mortal energy put into it. It hadn't even looked at him.

Kupe and Kupi had reached Paretae's mansion. The house of government, even for the chaos ripping its way through the city, stood strangely unaffected. It had some sort of architectural poker face to it that would not shift for the end of the world. Kupe pushed the massive door open and stepped into the welcoming hall, a rather huge room for its purpose. It was large and open, with very little actually in it besides a few columns. Apparently all else had been taken from it to aid the war effort.

As the duo reached the entrance, Kupe halted, which prompted a questioning look from Kupi. "What's wrong?" he asked.
    "This is as far as I go," answered Kupe.
    "What?"
    "I said, this is as far as I go. Continue down the hall, to Paretae." It was less a request than an order.
    "But... why?" Kupi inquired. There was a momentary pause as Kupi began to sense something wrong. "Kupe? What's going on?"
    Kupe sneered at Kupi derisively once again. "You pitiful idiot," he spat. "Why did it have to be you?"
    Though Kupi was miffed at that, he'd come to expect and quickly recover from that sort of treatment from Kupe. "Why did what have to be me?"
    "The one destined to survive this encounter with the demon's avatar. The one destined to save this mortal universe, that's what!"
    Kupi blinked.
    "It had to be you, of all people! The weak, stupid, helpless one! Not me! Of course it couldn't be me, I'm special enough already, right?! I've got these stupid-looking ears! And you know how I was found outside the city, not born! I'm the logical choice, but... I always knew... of course... it can't be me... my heart's too blackened..." Kupe gritted his teeth and dropped off, leaving Kupi unsure of what exactly what going on. There was a long silence as Kupi simply observed the way Kupe seethed.
    "...Kupe?" Kupi prodded.
    "Go! Run to Paretae! If you don't, all the universe is damned!" Kupe shouted at him suddenly. "They're going to get here shortly, and I have to fulfill my part of your destiny." There was venom in the word "your."
    Kupi blinked once again, turned, and ran deeper into the mansion.

Kupe grinned cynically. Fine, Great Light. Have it your way, Kupe thought. If you destine my body destroyed and my soul annihilated, so be it. But I'll not be wrent without some fun.

Kupe held both of his arms out, focusing all of his spiritual force in bending the very world around him to the shape of his will. Blackness spread out from him, engulfing the entire hall. Within moments, the whole room was nothing but a void, the single dark wizard floating in the middle of it. The hall had become Kupe's own world. Let the monsters come. They would face the wrath of a man blacker than even themselves, a tiny evil deity.

Kupi hurried through hallways, up stairs, down different ones, into and out of doors. He honestly didn't know where he was going; he'd never actually met Paretae face-to-face before or even been to the governor's mansion, and the sounds of very unpleasant things being done to the wrong side of the battle lent extra urgency to a futile situation. On top of all that, Kupi was running out of doors. But, at last:

"Ah, Kupi. Come in," said a smooth, silky voice that Kupi could only assume was Paretae's. Both government officials and priests eventually attain a level tone of voice that calms and charms in the midst of anything, and since Paretae acted as both to Auris, the effect was twofold. Like or not, Kupi had found Paretae and entering the room was no worse than the alternative...

...such as what was occurring in the only true exit to the building, its entrance, which had currently lost nearly every connection to the outside world. The doors still worked, and quite well, but they led to a pocket of space completely under the control of Kupe the sorcerer. He was a powerful psychic, and knew quite far in advance that the monsters would have broken down the walls if the dimensional interference hadn't repulsed their attempts and in just a few seconds they'd figure out that needed to use the door.

It fell down with a crash. The first creature to attempt to attack Kupe was some sort of furry, clawed monstrosity whose sole vocal ability seemed to be extremely repulsive mumbling. With a grand "grmph," it charged into the darkness and fell. It simply fell; there apparently wasn't a floor to the arena. It took about twenty of the sort of monsters that could actually fit through the door before they realized that all their attempts were accomplishing was a lot of lost monsters.

Kupe smirked as another of the furry mumblers apprehensively attempted to take a very light step onto the confirmedly unsure footing and disappeared into the lower blackness with a "grrffmmmll.....*" Kupe waved at a hand at the assembled creatures. "Try again," he taunted. A lesser mantis-beast did so, and found that the blackness that had swallowed up its comrades now, by whatever means, provided footing. That fact established in its simple mind, it charged. Kupe stayed still right up until the point that it began swinging a bladelike arm at him. At that point he held out his arm with a single finger extended. Just as the mantis was about to hit him, a fireball leapt from Kupe's outstretched finger and detonated at the mantis's torso, leaving very little but some green goop spattered on Kupe's robe. With psychic force, he caused it to disappear. That finished, the wizard turned his gaze to the rest of the monsters.

"Bring it."

On cue, a flood of monsters of all breeds and dimensions poured through the doorway. Dealing with each one individually, Kupe cut them down. Magic flames burnt down anything with fur. Lightning bolts rained upon anything that seemed solid. If it radiated heat, Kupe froze it with icy winds. Despite the loss of hundreds, the monsters continued to charge, even rushing around piles of fallen fellow beasts if they had to. They began to surround Kupe, using the fact that he couldn't kill them all at once to get around. The mass closed in, brandishing claws, scythes, burning appendages, anything they could use malignantly. Kupe grinned. Perfect. Summoning every bit of his spiritual might, Kupe unleashed an unseen shockwave. The mortal eye could only see the effects; everything save Kupe was reduced to a minute wisp of vapor in an ever-expanding circle of pure destruction around him. The attack concluded at the edge of Kupe's domain; nothing outside was harmed but the monsters were no more.

Kupe panted, but pulled himself upright nonetheless. Was that all? The great forces of darkness reduced to an odor. That struck a chord with Kupe's cruel soul, causing him to laugh. It started slow, but rose to that of a maniac's. He didn't waver until It arrived.

It floated over to him. Kupe defiantly stared into its face. That was about all he could stare into, as that was all It had. It was just a floating blue head with narrow, pointed eyes of red energy and a mouth filled with ghastly off-white canine teeth. For a moment the wills of both It and the magician clashed, before Kupe did what is considered in dark magic circles to be spitting in your foe's face. His corporeal hand choked the life out of his body, causing it to simply fall to the floor, dead. Annoyed, It floated onward as the blackened void reverted to the entrance hall it once was.

While this was going on, Kupi was being briefed by Paretae. Paretae stood unshiftingly in the center of the room, eyes closed, with no special adornments. No jewelry, no makeup, nothing but a simple pink dress without so much as a design on it. She struck Kupi as beautiful, not so much by appearance as by aura. Very little of Kupi's mind actually processed that, however, given the circumstances.

"There is no time to explain your role in these events, Kupi," said Paretae. "I can only tell you what you must do in the future. Worry not; all will revealed later."
    Kupi nodded, then realized that with her eyes closed Paretae would be completely oblivious to the gesture. "Ah-- Okay..." he said.
    "Good. Listen closely; I have only the time to say this once. On the side of the frame of the mirror in the corner, there is a small catch. Push this in while pushing on the glass. This will reveal a passage; take the stairs downward and run. There will be a long hallway, at the end of which is a machine. Climb into it, sit on the seat, and press the white button. You will be taken to large colony ship called the 'Pioneer 2.' Find your way on board. That is as far as I may direct you," Paretae concluded.
    Kupi blinked. He then blinked again. He'd gotten the directions clearly enough, but it was all too surreal to believe at first. However, the sharp, "Kupi! Go!" from Paretae within a matter of seconds snapped him into action. The catch was right where Paretae had told him it would be, and the mirror swung in as she had said. Just before he descended the stairway, Kupi stopped.
    "Wait a minute! Paretae, you can come with me!" he exclaimed.
    "No, Kupi. That is not destiny's plan."
    "But--"
    "No, Kupi." It was far more forceful the second time around, and Paretae's sheer will was a thing to be reckoned with. Rather, it was a think people avoided reckoning with, and Kupi was hardly one to debate the issue. If she wanted to stay, she'd stay. Thinking it inappropriate to leave with nothing, Kupi uttered a brief, confused, "Goodbye, then..." and hurried down the stairwell in the still-open mirror.
    As the footsteps subsided into faint echoes and then silence, Paretae still stood vigilant at the room's center, undisturbed. The mirror closed seeming of its own accord, leaving no sign of anyone's presence but hers. "You may enter," she said.

It floated through the door, not deterred a bit by the fact that it remained closed the entire time. Paretae did not waver in the slightest. It came to rest in front of her face, staring at her, then looked around the room.

"I am not the one you seek," Paretae said to It in a monotone. "He is long gone."
    It snarled at her, which appeared to be its only form of communication, and turned three degrees before halting violently. The cease of motion was apparently not its intent.
    "You may not leave," Paretae said, this time with far more force.
    A look of perplexion followed by fear swept Its face. It might have been an amusing sight to see such a demon with that expression on its face, had Paretae been able to see through her eyelids.
    "You can feel it, can't you?" the high priestess asked It rhetorically. "Yes, but it is not to happen quite yet. He must complete his escape first."
    It began to mumble and whine incoherently, attempting to jostle Itself free of whatever invisible bonds held It. Paretae simply stared ahead. It began to get even more agitated, wresting with the air for the ability to move. After a small eternity, Paretae said nothing, but opened her eyes. They were aglow with yellowish flames, not a standard feature in the human anatomy. It cried out in pain.
    "Do you now understand what's going to happen to you?" she asked It.
    It wailed.
    Paretae tilted her head, with a smile not typically associated with the holy on her face. "You're just one of the little ones. A pawn, like me, in this game of the eternals. Ha. This... is... the end... for... us... both!"
    Paretae threw her hands above her head and for a moment the world was silenced. What followed was what was called, in the vernacular, Grants. A spell that strikes its victim with rays of light before burning them with holy energy. However, Grants does not usually remove a city from a map with its collateral damage. This one did.

Somewhere beneath the sea, a small submarine unit carried a boy, the last survivor of his people, to his destiny...

---

Phew. All comments appreciated, besides nitpicky grammatical stuff that there really shouldn't be much material for anyway... ta! I'm off to write more. ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kupi on 2003-10-04 18:16 ]</font>

Wielder of Divine Might

So how long is this fic going to be? I like long ones.

Svm Inimicus Mali

On the agenda is: meeting all five of the other characters on my memory card, explaining those character's histories and issues as well, some generic fight scenes because what else do you have to do in PSO and the fulfilment of Kupi's destiny. It ought to take me a while. ^_^

Svm Inimicus Mali

We now get into the shorter chapters. The Prelude was just one of the really big ones. Don't worry, these're just more topical than the Prelude, which encompassed a lot more.

---

"It was big. Bigger than big. The sum total of big, enormous, huge, and titanic would bounce off halfway up and probably hurt itself from the fall back down. It was the Pioneer 2, surrounded by the death and decay of dying planet Coral. The sky, at least, was clear, perfect weather for a takeoff into the stars to new planet Ragol, where we'd--"

"Oh, shut up already!" yelled an angry punk-rocker type with a Custom Ray v.00 slung to his belt at the journalist who was apparently documenting the trip into the ship that he was about to board. The punk kept glaring at the journalist until the journalist finally caught on and put the recording device in a handy pocket. Satisfied, the punk looked at the man who was sitting at a hastily-constructed desk and said, "Jelst." The man punched a few buttons on the computer console and said, "Go," in response. That, by example, was the most a person had to go through to get onto the Pioneer 2. The governing officials at least realized that people weren't going to care whether or not they were technically allowed on the vessel; like rats fleeing a dying ship, they'd take any way out. So, it was decided that they'd let everyone on so long as they got a name from them... they'd sort them all out later.

The journalist gave his name and hurried towards what had to be called a gangplank, since the only other word for it was "really, really, really, big door." It was the way most people got on the ship, and the journalist had his place reserved. Behind him, a family made its way to recruitment, followed in turn by thousands more in an interminable queue, paralleled by thousands more just like it, all full of people streaming towards escape and life. And along one of these lines...

"Name?"
    "Kupi Yupaekio."
    "Go."

The long-haired teen walked towards the ship in awe. Truly, it was bigger than big. However, it's gait wasn't what he had on his mind. Paretae had told him to get on the ship, and he had... or, at least, was cleared for entry and was about to. There was no more prophecy to guide him after that; the future would be uncertain. For someone who'd lived under eighteen years of the same old, same old, it was a rattling thought. Not to mention the fact that he had no money, so supplies, and no defenses. Things were set up to prove tricky, to say that least.

Kupi found himself in the belly of the whale, having been carried by his own feet without realizing it while lost in his other thoughts. He'd had a habit of doing that even back in Auris, with unusual results. Taking the opportunity to wonder where he was, Kupi cast his gaze around for some kind of clue. Tall buildings were everywhere, paved streets running between them. Flying vehicles zoomed above, carrying the possessions of the rich to waiting spaces in other places. The pedestrians below did the chaotic dance of the street, heading to a thousand different destinations at once, paths of separate particles only intersecting in rare and typically embarrassing cases.

With a description, if not a name to the place established, Kupi's mind returned to the issue of finding a place to stay. Desperate as the Coralians were to leave, he had a feeling that they still wouldn't take well to street-dwellers. Several ideas occurred to him over as many several minutes, but most of them were discarded immediately. Employment? ...who's hiring? Thievery? ...no. Become a night-stalking vigilante of justice, fighting from an underground cave to avenge his lost family? ...what? How about getting lodging with someone? That one stuck. If nothing else, someone ought to be willing to take a roommate who was willing to do some work for them. Kupi wasn't as much of a cook as Kupu, but he could certainly use what skills he had to pull his weight. So, it was decided. Kupi looked upwards and prayed silently for there to be someone to room with.

When he looked back, there a rather dirty-looking man with tussled hair, a pair of flies circling his head, and the stench of something that Kupi couldn't quite put his finger on without an antibacterial cleanser. "Heeeyyy th'ere," the guy slurred drunkenly. At that point, Kupi did the first thing that came to mind and fled.

Once Kupi had established that the dirty man was far enough away not to find him again, he decided to look for someone else to ask. It wasn't as though there was a lack of people to ask, it was simply that Kupi couldn't pick one and stick with them. Finally, he managed to lock on to someone, or rather a group of someones. They consisted of a man, a woman, and a child, and they looked like they could afford to have another person with them. "Excuse me!" Kupi called to them, making a very spirited walk towards them.

The man didn't answer directly, but simply turned and gave Kupi a look which conveyed worlds of meaning. If Kupi didn't say something worth a lot of money soon, the attention was going to have been poorly spent. This was not a man that liked to spend things poorly.
    "I... er... was wondering if I could possibly room with you..." Kupi stammered.
    "We have no room," the man answered tersely.
    "I can cook! I'm sure you need a cook!" Kupi protested.
    "We already have a cook."
    "Maybe he needs an assistant! Look, all I need is a bed for one--"
    "We have nothing to spare for beggars," said the man flatly, turned, and marched off. The boy, an early teenager, gave the Kupi the look that said I am so sorry that these people whom I hope you don't attach any transitive meaning upon me due to have labeled you as worthless as he was herded off.
    "Father, couldn't we..." Kupi heard distantly as the family was lost in the crowd.
    "That's enough, Derrik," came the reply, hardly surprising Kupi at all. And then the family was gone.

Strike two, thought Kupi. But before he could take another swing at it, a voice behind him said, "Wait, you can co-umph?!"

Kupi turned. "Yo?" What was behind him but now in front of him was a rather strange-looking man. For one, he had long blue hair, which is always a sign of impending weirdness. Second, he was wearing a bizare combination of formal pants (though deep red), a white lab coat, an obscure sort of bow tie, and disco-era shoes. The shoes might even be better described as clogs. Unfortunately for the man, he was fighting against the flow of people, which had most unfortunately turned against his intended direction.

"Watch out-- I just want to-- get--" the man yelled as he tried to fight his way through the throngs, some of whom were getting the idea that avoiding a collision would require taking another route. "Over there!" he said at last, pointing to a somewhat empty-looking vendor's stall that an enterprising young idiot had placed in the middle of the road. It was, however, rather unpopulated and made an excellent empty spot in the tide where one could hide. Confused but hopeful, Kupi maneuvered into the calm, where the blue-haired man already was.

The man panted for a second then said, "Now... I heard you saying... you can cook?"
    "A little..." Kupi answered, unsure. Whoever this guy was, he had to be better than the first one.
    "Something besides pancakes?"
    "Yeah..."
    "And waffles. You can cook more than pancakes and waffles."
    Kupi began to notice the theme. "Ah... yes, I think so. I'm not as good as my brother, but I can cook stuff."
    "And you want a place to stay."
    "Yes."
    The man thrust out an arm, which Kupi remembered was a sign of wanting to shake hands after a while. "My name is Sapphire Williams, pleased to meet you. You've got yourself a roommate."

All in all, it went better than Kupi had expected.

Svm Inimicus Mali

Two bodies were being carried upwards to a top floor of an apartment building. The fact that these bodies belonged to Kupi and Sapphire was merely a pleasant coincidence that allows the story to move forward. The body belonging to Kupi decided to ask a question of the body belonging to Sapphire, not only receiving a response but also, through a complicated set of transdimensional flux waves that shall not be described here, ceased the use of reference to bodies and changed it back to reference to people.

"Question, Sapphire?" said Kupi.
    "Go ahead," the blue-haired one permitted.
    "Why are you letting me room with you so easily? I mean, you picked me up off the street like *that*!"
    "Well... for one, you're short, have a fair complexion, and you're wearing Auris clothes, so I figured you wouldn't cause trouble."
    "Now wait a minute... how did you know what we dress...ed like?" Kupi exclaimed. "We never got outsiders, period!"
    "History class," Sapphire answered, with an inflection that said, "I'm as surprised as you are," though perhaps not in so many words. "I learned when the city was founded and what you wore and that sort of thing, but you dropped off the map centuries ago. I'm surprised nobody ever went back there, personally. And I never thought I'd see someone wearing that kind of robe. So... maybe I let you room with me out of fascination. Who knows? In any case, you needed a room and could cook, and I had a room and needed someone to cook. That's the essence of a trade, having what the other guy wants and vice versa."
    Kupi nodded. That was almost the end of the exchange, until Kupi said, "This is a slow elevator, isn't it?"
    Sapphire agreed, chuckling. "Yup. Better than the ones at the Academy, at least. Those went so fast that you practically had to be scraped off the ceiling when they stopped."

The elevator came to rest at the top floor gently, giving Kupi great relief from the mental image that had just popped into his head at Sapphire's hyperbole. A brief stroll down a hallway led to a room that Sapphire indicated as his. Kupi watched intently as Sapphire drew a keycard, swiped it through a slot to the side of the door, and pushed a button below it. The whole process fascinated Kupi; they hardly had any technology in Auris. The submarine had practically blown Kupi's mind. Before Kupi could go off on some irrelevant tangent based on that, the door slid open and yanked Kupi's attention in another direction.

Sapphire's room was rather sparsely decorated, and reasonably so, given the time frame in which it had been populated. Its main room contained a sofa against one wall and a computer terminal on the other wall. To the right of the main room looking from the door was a small hallway, to the left of which came a bedroom and to the right of which was the kitchen, and at the end was the lavatory. A light classical tune wafted about the room, by all indications coming from the computer, which was still on.

"It isn't much, but by Pioneer 2 standards it's a mansion," explained Sapphire. "I figured that so long as money wasn't going to mean much, I might as well spring for the good room, you know?"
    Kupi nodded absentmindedly, scanning the room. Simple, but nice.

The moment of silence that followed unnerved Sapphire. He'd never reacted well to scrutiny and uncertainty of acceptance, so he prompted the littler of the two with, "Well? What do you think?"
    "I like it!" Kupi exclaimed, and walked in.

"Kupi! C'mere!" Sapphire yelled.

Kupi came running on cue to the computer terminal, which had been wired for "broadcast interception," as Sapphire worded it. In layman’s terms, the computer was acting like a television. A rather stern-looking man behind a desk was apparently focusing his piercing glare on the camera that was filming his visage.

"People of Pioneer 2," he grunted, "It is advised that you move to your dwellings and find a place to sit or lie down immediately. Takeoff will commence in five beats. That is all." With the simple command out to the world within the soon-to-be flying colony, the picture reverted to the news program's anchor, who exuberantly began explaining the myriad intricacies of the speaker's announcement. At this, Sapphire turned off the computer and said, "Well, that's that. Kupi, you take the sofa. I'll be fine here."

Kupi obediently sat where he was directed to. "Sapphire... who was that guy?"
    "What, you mean Vincent? Standard news guy. Nobody important."
    "No no, the fat guy. Weird glare. Gruff voice."
    "Oh! You mean Principal Tyrell? He runs this whole ship... well, at least the 'government' we've got here. The head honcho. You had leaders like him back at Auris, right?"
    Kupi fell silent for several seconds, before finally turning his gaze from Sapphire. "Yeah... like Paretae..." Immediately Sapphire sensed that he's touched a nerve and was about to open his mouth to say something that he knew was an attempt to console but would come out as a foot-in-mouth. Thankfully, he was saved from this by the sound of Pioneer 2's drive engines charging before

BWAM!

"Can you see it?"
    "I think so. Big green and blue thing that we're heading towards?"
    "Yeah, that! That's Ragol!"
    "Ragol?"
    "The new planet! Our new home!"
    "Wow..." Kupi said rather conclusively, and signaled Sapphire to let him down. The two were on the observation deck, which was packed with people, which was why Kupi was mounted on Sapphire's shoulders to get a better view, or in fact a view at all. As Kupi's shoes hit the floor with a clack, he said, "So let me get this straight... we've actually flown through this huge gap of nothing between Coral and Ragol?"
    "Yup!" affirmed Sapphire.
    "That's incredible."
    "Yup. Tell ya what... let's go home and catch the news. They're probably going to run some more information on it."

The duo turned and went, missing entirely the scene that unfolded next. A man with the nearest present-day equivalent of a soapbox set the box down, stood on it, and made an attempt at a speech. "People of Coral, nay, people of Ragol, lend me your ears! Mourn not for our old and dead home! Look to the future, look to Ragol, this new home upon which--" At this point a Custom Ray v.00 was thrown from an indeterminate point in the crowd-turned-audience, struck the speech-giver in the head, and ended the spectacle immediately with the speech man's loss of consciousness. A round of applause followed instantaneously.

Sapphire sat at his computer chair, while Kupi looked on with interest. The very fact that you could make a picture of something appear on something else in real-time was absolutely baffling.

"Here we go," said Sapphire, finally achieving success in a struggle with the digital. "Live camera feed of Ragol, from the main scanning systems of the Pioneer 2 itself. We're about to make computer contact in just a few seconds. Watch for the beams..."

Indeed, two rays of light were about to meet, stemming from both the Pioneer 2 and the Central Dome far below and out of sight on the planet's surface. Just before they collided, a giant blue ball of energy engulfed the surface, taking nearly a quarter of the visible area of the planet Ragol. As soon as it came, it disappeared, leaving in its wake a horrible screech of static. Sapphire banged a button on the computer's side, terminating the noise. Kupi was no longer where he was to begin with, having retreated to the sofa. He couldn't put his finger on the feeling, but it chilled him to the bones.

Sapphire, missing this entirely, grabbed a device by the side of his computer urgently, hit a complicated series of buttons, and said, "Nowan, did you see that?!" There was a pause. "Great, so I'm not going crazy. Okay... okay... I'll call you back, 'kay?" Sapphire stuck the device back where it was to begin with. "Ku--"
    At last he figured out that Kupi had moved.

"--pi?" Sapphire finished, turning. He noticed Kupi's stance. "You okay?"
    Kupi shook his head, keeping his gaze on the floor the entire time. "I... I don't know. I..." he trailed off. There was an extremely awkward pause until Sapphire finally decided that he wanted to know what had just happened on Pioneer 1 more than what was wrong with Kupi, and turned back to the computer terminal. In a minute, Kupi joined him, no trace of his affliction remaining.

"Nobody knows anything?" Sapphire said into what could only be described as a phone. "All we have is a big blue energy ball and no radio contact? That can't possibly be right! ...yeah, yeah. So they haven't said anything on the news, either? ...dang it! Nothing on BEE either? ...okay, okay. Thanks anyway, Nowan." Sapphire hung up and put his hand to his head.
    Kupi waited for what seemed to be an appropriate an moment and asked, "Sapphire? What's up?"
    "Nobody knows anything about the explosion, that's what!" burst Sapphire. "Three days! Three full days since it happened and we haven't heard from Pioneer 1 and nobody knows a thing!" Sapphire lapsed into silence again. "And furthermore, they're not allowing anyone down there. So we're stuck in this ship until they figure out what they want to do with us." Sapphire sighed, and that seemed to be the end of the issue.

Two weeks passed.

Generalized distress had pervaded Pioneer 2. The government was not allowing anyone off of the Pioneer 2 in case of another disaster, and being locked up in an orbiting tin can with hundreds of thousands of other people had a way of amplifying the feeling of restlessness. Such restlessness had apparently made its way into Sapphire's large shoes, depriving him of the ability to sit still. He was pacing back and forth irritably, wearing a very minute trench in the carpeting when Kupi asked the fateful question.

"Can't they send anyone down there?" Kupi said.
    "Nope. Too dangerous. We can't have a mass migration, since whatever happened could happen again. And they can't send the military because we don't even have one. They packed them all up on the first ship in case things got out of hand. Lot of good that did."
    "So... why can't people just go down if they want to?"
    Sapphire's pacing froze, and he blinked. "Why can't..." he repeated to himself. "That's it! Duh!"
    Kupi had, in all honesty, no clue what Sapphire was talking about.
    "The Hunter's Guild! Why didn't I think of that before?" Sapphire continued. "Civilian investigators! Kupi!"
    Kupi simply shot Sapphire a look that said he was paying attention.
    "We're going to be Hunters!"

Svm Inimicus Mali

Been a while, hasn't it? Well, Chapter 3's done. Here ya go!

---

"Well... this is rather disappointing."

To fully understand this statement, one must be aware of three things: first, it was said by Sapphire, second, it was said after the retreival of a package, and lastly that it was said upon the opening of that package. For further information, the package was from the Hunter's Guild, and labeled as a "standard beginner's Force kit." Kupi was nothing but pleased with his package, primarily because of the fact that he absolutely no idea what anything within his kit was supposed to do. As was the case with most things of this sort, Kupi asked Sapphire about it.

"Well, this," answered Sapphire, exracting a complicated mass of loosely connected metal bars, "is called a Frame. It's supposed to be armor that goes under your clothes, but this looks like an extremely low-grade model. I'd venture to guess that the entire reason it's considered protection is something is better than nothing. And this..." Here Sapphire pulled out a short stick with a knob on the end, on which was a green jewel. "...is a Cane. Also low-grade. There's this little button on the end of the cane..." Sapphire pushed it in, causing the jewel to be filled with green light. "That activates the photons. You need those; apparently a blunt impact isn't quite as good as a weak photon burn." Sapphire put the Cane down, causing the small green light to snap off as he removed his hand. The button was apparently pressure-sensitive. "These things," Sapphire pointed out eight small capsules, two ovular and two triangular, "Are Monomates and Monofluids. They're extremely potent medicine, the Mates for injuries and and the Fluids for technique exhaustion.And that brings us to the Technique Disk." Sapphire very gingerly picked up the paper-thin grey wafer and placed it in his palm. It fit nicely, not being more than an inch and a half in diameter. "Probably the most important thing to us."
    "Why?" inquired Kupi, determined to have a line in this paragraph.
    "Well, neither of us is too macho, to tell ya the truth. So, I signed us both up for registry as Forces, or magicians if you prefer the term."
    That seemed to please Kupi. "Kinda like my brother Kupe?"
    "I suppose," said Sapphire, straining his memory to keep all the brothers he'd heard about straight. What kind've a family separated siblings by a single vowel sound?
    "Okay, but... what's that got to do with this?"
    Sapphire straightened up. "Well, I've been doing some research on the concept. I don't know how much effort your brother had to put into it, but in our civilization it took people something like fifty to sixty years of intense training to produce even the most basic of arcane effects, like spontaneous creation of natural elements." Kupi nodded with an expression that said 'what?' Catching this, Sapphire rephrased his statement. "Magic." Kupi nodded again, understanding fully. "Well," continued Sapphire, "They've discovered that memory and learning all takes place in the brain a long time ago, but just recently they've discovered drugs that can artificially make those connections in your head as though you'd done all the training. Learning in a cookie, pretty much. Most people prefer a standard schooling for a normal education, though, for the fringe benefits."
    After a long silence, Kupi said, "Wow." That summed up his feelings on the subject.
    Sapphire rather unnecessarily nodded. "Well, you eat yours and I'll eat mine, and tomorrow morning we'll set out for Ragol, alrighty? They want people to check out the Central Dome, so we'll make getting there a priority." At this, Sapphire popped the entire Technique Disk into his mouth and crunched it thoughtfully. Kupi ate his more warily. It had the distinct flavor of something that has no taste whatsoever. With that thought out of his mind, Kupi formulated a question.
    "Hey, Sapphire? If they can put knowledge of magic on one of these, couldn't they put... like... anything?"
    Sapphire nodded grimly. "Yeah. There are some people out there that make their own off of unliscenced formulas to try to simulate combat experience beyond anyone else's and stuff like that... I think the street name for them is 'Shark' or 'Pro Action' or some silly moniker like that. But they've got nasty side effects like insanity, incoherence, and a severe desire to murder people. All born of a lust for power. It's sad, really."
    Kupi thought to himself. That really sounded terrible. He'd have to remember to avoid that kind of thing.

That night, Kupi deamt...

Kupi... kill...

For...

No!

Silence... then a scream...

Don't...

A shark swam past, looking uninterested.

Knives... fighting...

Kupi...

Kill... to save...

As is the nature of dreams, it was vivid at the time but vanished into the air when Kupi awoke.

There was the feeling of stifled excitement such as is present on one's birthday the next morning. Sapphire devoured his pancakes with unusual vigor while Kupi fiddled with the tangled mess that his Frame had become due to his attempts to mold it into any shape that looked vaguely human. Sapphire already had his on, a move he'd made to "break it in." The instant the last bit of pancake was off of Sapphire's plate he stood up from the sofa (producing a loud groan from the Frame, which was likely more than broken in already) and started pacing. "Come on, Kupi! I wanna get going!" he said irritably.
    "Okay! Okay!" Kupi said back, giving the Frame a desperate yank in either direction, which popped it into place quite nicely. With all haste, Kupi ran for the bathroom to change. After a complicated series of poomps and clinks, he emerged looking exactly like he did before, but making creaking noises like Sapphire's. When you joined the Hunter's Guild, you joined from the very bottom.
    "Right! Off we go!" said Sapphire, and headed out the door with Kupi in tow. They took the stairs since the elevator was too slow for Sapphire's preferences and departed from the apartment building with the energy of one man who knows where he's going and another man who knows that he wants to go wherever the other guy is going. A brief sojurn through the crowds meandering to and fro on the ship Altair lead the duo a giant doorway. Sapphire showed a pair of cards to one of the guards, who nodded and hit a button on a console behind him, causing the door to fold up. A girl with a pom-pom hat looked on interestedly.

There was a large blue circle in the center of the small room beyond the door, which Sapphire explained to Kupi as being a teleporter now open to use by Hunters. They'd pick a spot relatively near Central Dome but away from other parties, and essentially put them there. Kupi said it sounded incredible, and Sapphire concurred. Together they stepped on the circle and stood at attention. A technician behind a console to one side of the teleporter said, "Brace yourselves," to which Sapphire managed a "Wh" which vague uncertainty before the floor dropped out from under him.

For a time, Sapphire had the distinct feeling that someone had grabbed him by the ankles and yanked him downward. However, he couldn't move to check. The feeling crept slowly up his entire body, before the world, which had become a rainbow of colors, reasserted itself and reminded him that some things create a great deal of pain when struck incorrectly, such as solid ground. There were two dull thunks as both Sapphire and Kupi materialized with a great deal of momentum behind them and crumpled to the floor.
    "Ow!" the two agreed.
    "That... what in the name of holiness happened?!" Kupi asked, standing and checking if all of his body parts were where they should be.
    "It's sort've like this:" Sapphire explained, "They shoot your body to a point so fast that every little tiny piece goes through whatever it comes in contact with but without damaging it. Then, at that point, they reverse the force and you stop where they want you to. You wind up with a little collateral momentum, which I suppose," Sapphire brushed himself off at this point, having stood, "Is why we fell over. We'll have to remember to keep stiff next time. Oog."
    Both looked around. Sapphire had explained to Kupi that they'd be heading for a "forest," and Kupi was in no position to argue, having never actually seen a tree to speak of. Sapphire, on the other hand, said "Urbanization at work. Hardly any trees at all. Used to have them on Coral, a couple decades before everything started dying. Only read about 'em in the history books, personally, but I know they had them denser than here..." There were sparse patches of trees separating dirt paths leading to even wider clearings, with mechanical doors every clearing or so. Sapphire beckoned Kupi and lead to one of the doors, which slid open dutifully.

After the two Forces stepped through the portal, a furry brown creature suddenly broke through the soil and looked around. It had what some might consider a funny head that jutted out horizontally into the air from its torso. It was bipedal, standing on thin legs and waving its tri-clawed arms about as it scanned for a target. By all indications, the thing was rabid, or at least very angry at its lot in life, which at the moment appeared to be rushing at two other bipedal organisms while brandishing its claws, roaring at them, and having the nerve to look surprised when they both turned 180 degrees and fled into a door that produced their own surprised look at the fact that it was locked.

"D'uah!" yelled Sapphire, appropriately, and bolted to the right. Kupi, in opposition, ran the other way. The clawed creature honestly had no idea which way to run, since it had encountered a metal door significantly harder than itself and delivered a rather concussive blow to its own head.

Kupi, whose inherent battle style consisted of the steps scream and run away, in whichever order was convenient, looked across the clearing to Sapphire, whose expression read the same way. "Do something!" Kupi yelled to him.
    "You do something!" Sapphire yelled back, equally unhelpfully.

Kupi did the first thing that came to mind, which was pitching the Cane slung around his belt at the monster with full force, that being none. Besides failing to cause any apparent damage to the monster, it also had the unfortunate side effect of bringing it out of the daze and drawing attention to Kupi. Letting out a roar that said "boy was that ever the wrong thing to do, bucko," it charged.

Sapphire was never quite sure how it had been triggered, but there was something about seeing his best friend about to be ripped limb from limb that caused a small connection to click in his mind. Without any sort of warning, Sapphire held out his arm, glowed red briefly, and then loosed a fireball from the end of his hand into the offending creature's head, taking it completely by surprise for the half instant it lived after the fireball connected. What remained of its body slowly tipped over and crashed to the floor, which was the last bit of motion for several seconds.

After a while, Sapphire regained the presense of mind to put his arm back down, and shortly thereafter Kupi unflinched.

"Wow," Sapphire said rather underwhelmingly.
    "Uh?" Kupi asked, lacking any sort of meaning whatsoever.
    "Yeah," concurred Sapphire, having picked up on the trace of inquisitive meaning but failed to realized that it meant nothing. These ramblings might have gone on for quite a while were it not for the supplementary material of the loud bubbling noise produced by the monster's body melting into a puddle of red goop, leaving no trace of the carcass whatsoever. Sapphire was already coherent, but warm red slime running over one's legs tends to have the effect of focusing one's attention on that, which is exactly why Kupi jumped out the way and yelled, "Yech!" Sapphire looked on for a moment, then pulled a small handheld computer out of his pocket, pushed a few buttons, and put it back, apparently taking notes.

After the monster-turned-puddle had learned firsthand the meaning of the expression "spreading yourself too thin," Kupi and Sapphire regrouped. Kupi retrieved his Cane from where it had fallen, and then turned to Sapphire with inquisitive indignance.
    "What the heck was that thing?! And how did you kill it?!" he demanded.
    Sapphire rubbed the back of his head. "As for what it was, I have no idea. I guess we can look it up on the Hunter's Guild databases later. And... I think that was Foie," he answered, moving a few of his fingers around tentatively, making notable caution to keep his palm from facing his face. "It's weird, but now that I think about it I feel like I've always known how to do it... I guess the disk kicked in. Try it out," Sapphire prodded, adding for reference, "You need a point of focus, though. Aim at that plant over there." Kupi, with nothing to lose, obeyed, holding out his arm and doing his best to think "fireball."Indeed, one formed and took flight towards the plant, fizzling out midway with a halfhearted "feh." Despite the heat, a cold chill ran through Kupi's spine, the shock from which caused him to take a step backward.
    "That--" he started, but was quickly cut off by Sapphire.
    "You did it!"
    "Yeah, but... I don't know. It made me feel weird," Kupi protested.
    "Eh, I'm sure that's the technique exhaustion. If you use magic too much, it tires you out. Just take it easy for a bit and it ought to go away. C'mon, let's keep heading for Central Dome. More carefully, this time."

The call for caution quickly lost its relevance, as there wasn't another monster attack for quite some. When the trek towards the Central Dome via the dirt paths was interrupted again, it was in the most unlikely of forms. In the center of a small clearing framed by dense foliage, a very small yellow bird plopped itself down from some unknown skyward location. By all indications it was harmless: its eyes were wide, its wings were stubby, and its feathers were bright yellow with a small white patch on its belly. That was to speak nothing of its general frame; the thing was fat enough to pass as an amusement park prize, if such a thing could locomote from one point to another, like the bird was doing with an amusing waddle towards Kupi. Wary but interested, Kupi approached it while Sapphire slid around to the side, once again taking notes.

Right as it was within range, the little yellow bird grabbed the leg portion of Kupi's robe with its beak. When Kupi tried to pull backward, the bird pulled again even harder, making Kupi slip forward. "Hey! Stop it!" Kupi yelled at it, and pulled his robe out of its mouth. The bird's eyes narrowed into slits as evil as something cute could managed and made a very spirited attempt to put holes in Kupi's body with its beak, jumping up and down and flapping its wings, all the while squawking terribly and advancing before Kupi's retreat. Suddenly the bird stopped this clamor, as Sapphire had slammed his Cane into the back of its head, not producing visible wounds but knocking the thing quite certainly out of its senses. The bird had gone from menacing to pathetic in 6.4 seconds. It was apparently dead, but unlike the creature before it, it didn't melt. After waiting with bated breath for several minutes, Sapphire finally threw his hands into the air and said, "Gah, let's just get going. Nothing's happening." Just as the two reached the far door, they heard a sound like tiny bird feet making a desperate rush for the nearest source of cover, and lo and behold that was exactly what it was; the bird had simply played dead until it was safe and bolted.

Sapphire muttered something under his breath and tread on with Kupi in tow. The path here was long and narrow, bordered by rows of trees that were far too organized to have grown naturally. Gradually, they started to pick up on footfalls and a voice attached to one set of those footfalls, which was giving a rather loud summation of what it and its companions were doing. "And so the two intrepid adventurers furthered their quest for treasure, experience, and enlightenment down this forested path, watching and listening for signs of" THUD. "You really need to stop doing that," chimed in another voice, "You might do some real damage!" "Through that skull? Nah, I think it's hardened by now," added a female voice. "Very funny," the original speaker shot back. "I'm just trying to brainstorm the novelization aloud." That was the end of the tiff, or at least as much as Kupi and Sapphire managed to hear before the path took them and the other voices in opposite directions.

The next room contained two of the furry brown creatures (which Sapphire later discovered were called "Boomas"), standing around and looking surly. Just like the first one, they charged as soon as the two Forces caught their gaze. Far more experienced with standard operating procedure now than before, the duo opened fire (quite literally) and slew the beasts largely due to lucky aim. Sapphire was fine, but Kupi hunched over suddenly and groaned. He was able to stand upright soon, in time to see Sapphire holding out one of the triangular Monofluid capsules. Without question, Kupi took the top off and downed it without feeling better at all, to Sapphire's amazement. "I think you'd better stay away from Foie for now, Kupi, until we can find out what's causing that," the pointy-eared one prescribed. With that issue settled, the two observed the room, and noticed the crate and teleport beside it. A brief insight into the ethics of taking something that doesn't belong to you from Kupi was quelled by a longer insight into the ethics of taking something that no longer belongs to anyone, and the grey metal box was opened and inspected. The box contained very little of use to the two, mostly food that would be picked up by specialized scavenging parties, but they did find a small Tech Disk case labeled "Resta, level 1." Sapphire turned it around in his hands, thinking.

"Hrm... you know, Kupi, I think you may want to revise your battle strategy a bit. If techniques are going to be a pain to cast, you might as well specialize in one that's going to heal your physical wounds. So, eat this and next time we see a monster, give it a few good whacks with that Cane of yours and if you get hit, focus on whatever's hurt getting healed, okay?"

As Kupi swallowed the tech disk, he couldn't help feeling a twinge of resentment at feeling like a child. Technically he was, but it was still a repulsive thought. But, Kupi told himself, it was better than wandering around alone. Sapphire confirmed that the teleport was aimed where they wanted to go, and they both stepped in and disappeared.

WHAP!

Kupi's face met the dirt where they'd stopped. Sapphire, who'd remembered to brace himself this time, helped him up with nary a chuckle, largely due to the desire not to hurt Kupi's feelings over the error beating his funny bone. Once Kupi was on his feet, he looked around. "Hey, there's the Dome!" he shouted to Sapphire, who was inspecting some other misplaced crates. Looking behind his back, the FOnewm noticed it, too. Reminded of the task at hand, he met Kupi at the door and walked through. Central Dome, by Sapphire's calculations, was a matter of a few gates away.

However, their progress was impeded by a group of four lupine creatures, most of them a dull yellow in color, but one near the back had blue pigmentation in its fur. As Kupi and Sapphire were entering the room, they were laying on the ground disinterestedly. They stood as they caught sight of the Forces.

"They... could be friendly?" Kupi theorized hopefully.

The blue one let out a blood-curdling howl.

"And they might not be!" Sapphire shot back, looking behind him. Once again, the lock-notification light had turned red. No escape there. Looking back, Sapphire saw Kupi making a spirited, if underwhelming, charge at one of the wolves, which was making a charge at Kupi backed by the confidence that three other wolves would be making similar charges just like it. The wolf leapt, mouth open and nails ready. Kupi met its head with a sideways swing from head Cane, producing a short-lived hissing sound, a yelp from the wolf, and a rather severe row of parallel cuts in Kupi's robe and skin as the wolf's nails came down on it. The wolf hit the ground with a thud.

Kupi, groaning, clasped his bleeding arm. Something clicked in his mind, and suddenly a very dim light shone from the place between his arm and hand. Before Kupi had the chance to inspect what had happened, Sapphire yelled, "Look out, Kupi!" and hurled a fireball at him. Kupi, far more terrified by a Foie heading for his face than the danger behind door number three, ducked, allowing a leaping wolf's side and Sapphire's ball of flames to intersect and send the wolf crashing to the ground several feet away. The third normal wolf made a similar jump, but this time Kupi could see it coming and prostrated himself, allowing the attack to go straight over and also getting his face in the red slime created by the second wolf, now dead. It seemed that the wolves had a similar reaction to death as did the Boomas.

Sapphire made a sudden shift in battle plans. Rather than pursue the last yellow-colored lupine, he instead sent a fireball arcing towards the blue wolf. Kupi, from where he lay, through a Foie of his own and immediately regretted it. Still, the fireball was airborn and the way Kupi's blast hit the wolf in the rump as Sapphire's hit it in the head and sent it helicoptering to the floor was oddly amusing in the only way a spinning blue wolf can be. The last remaining wolf, upon detecting the loss of its leader, let out a forlorn howl and ran away. Very shortly after, there was a soft, barely audible thump. This was followed by a canine yelp and a wolf, the same one, in fact, flying overhead in the opposite direction before crashing against a tree with a grotesque, bone-crunching snap. Sapphire and Kupi exchanged timid looks as soon as the extremely angry stomping footsteps started, and edged towards the nearest door they could find. They made very good use of it as soon as they saw the Hildebear jump into the clearing where they used to be.

Hildebears, as Sapphire read from a computer page later, were "extrememly friendly animals that never attack unless unnecessarily provoked." Sapphire had numerous comments on this analysis of their behavior, mostly to the effect of the total untruth of the comment. The look on this one's face indicated that it had been provoked, whether or not it was necessary. It seemed quite intent on using its arms, which hung from its shoulders clear to the ground, to smash anything smaller than it, that being most anything, as soon as it could get its proportionally tiny legs to the location of most convinient smashing. Sapphire and Kupi, in the reverse frame of mind, were intent on using their legs to get as far away from the thing as possible. They weren't entirely certain how many rooms they'd traversed in trying to get away, but the Hildebear managed to keep up somehow. Eventually, they hit a dead end with a very large teleporter and put very little thought into jumping into it and hitting the switch.

Hildebears, they discovered thankfully, had no concept of how to work a teleporter.

The two Forces took the respite to examine their surroundings. It was hot, so much so that in the span of a few seconds they had already begun to sweat. Rubble was nearly everywhere, with gaps in terribly uniform rows for randomized destruction. There was a large stone wall behind them, that curved up and over and to a peak a great ways forward and up, and from there led all the way to the ground again miles off. Sapphire at last made a realization. "This is the Central Dome!" The statement echoed off the walls as if to reinforce the fact. Slowly, the words faded. In their place came a growl.

A growl, from the depths of the earth.

With earth-shaking force, something large and red burst from the ground and into the air, nearly reaching the top of the dome. It spun in place a few times, then opened up and fell. It had large, batlike wings protruding from a massive torso, a tail that reached nearly as long as its neck and body combined, and two black-clawed feet. Its head sat at the end of a serpentine neck, filled with a set of innumerable sharp teeth and crowned with a single horn. Sapphire and Kupi struggled to stay on their feet as the tremor from its landing coursed through the ground. Glaring at them, the Dragon opened its maw and let out the single most terrifying roar that either of the two had heard previously, with globs of liquid fire dripping from its maw. Sapphire took special note of this; the next time fire came out of this thing's mouth, it would be in a far less amiable way. Kupi, on the other hand, had seized up, unable to do anything but stare wide-eyed. Not even the stomps of the rapidly-approaching Dragon shook him from the stupor.

Then, something weird happened. The air seemed to distort between the Forces and the Dragon, as though a great heat, greater than that already present in the Central Dome, was warping the molecules between them. Then, all at once, it was gone as within it another body took shape. She had black clothes on, covering her entire body. From the hood covering her head to the gloves connected to its sleeves to the way the pant legs from her coat-jacket melded into her shoes, there was not a single exposed patch of skin except for long, pointed ears that jutted from holes in the hood. It wasn't as though she had much skin to conceal; she was even shorter than Kupi. Even her face, which might be visible through the front of the hood, was covered by a mask with an angry face design and many spines coming off of the edges. In her right hand she held a weapon that Sapphire had never heard of; it was a long blue stick with a white holster for a glowing stone. It was a cane, for sure, but a highly unusual type. The Dragon seemed rather annoyed at this new entrant, primarily because it would have to use its roar again just to establish who was boss here.

"Shut up," the new entrant muttered at it almost inaudibly, and sent a swarm of icicle knives at the lizard's head. They struck in the bottom of its mouth as the Dragon's head was upraised, drawing blood. The Dragon, stunned but more annoyed than anything, turned a spiteful gaze at the concealed Newman and simply opened its mouth.

"Run, Kupi!" Sapphire shouted, and did so himself while pulling his fellow magician along. Kupi was getting out of the way whether he wanted to or not. The wave of fire that crashed across the ground and to the edges of the dome burned hot and red momentarily, leaving nothing in their path. Satisfied, the Dragon turned its gaze towards the fleeing Forces and was promptly beaned upside the head with a glob of supercold liquid. Attempting to turn its head back to see where it was coming from proved difficult, as it continued to be struck with the ice balls sent by the FOnewearl, who had somehow moved out of the way before being flamed to death. The Dragon at last whipped its head up and over the stream of ice and let out a burst of flames that the masked one avoided through means that Sapphire couldn't place from his vantage point. His eyes traced the fact that there was motion, but for the life of him he couldn't tell exactly how she'd gone from point A to point B. Point B, right now, was directly under the Dragon's torso. Holding her hand up, she sent another set of ice blades into the Dragon's stomach, practically showering herself in blood. Alarmed, the Dragon did was instinct told it to: get the heck out of there! Its wings beat furiously, taking it straight up and away from the dark Force.

"Oh, no you don't," the mysterious Force growled. Throwing down her weapon, she held both of her hands directly above her head and started glowing black, emitting purplish gas that dissipated quickly. Kupi, from where he was watching, suddenly gripped his head in pain and fell to his knees, drawing the surprise of Sapphire and also distracting him from what happened next, something he might have recognized. A ball of blackness launched from the FOnewearl's hands, straight through the Dragon leaving no trace that it had passed. But the Dragon noticed. It struggled against wings that no longer wished to flap, lungs that no longer breathed, a heart that had ceased to beat, a body that wanted to die. Gracefully, the FOnewearl retrieved her weapon and moved out of the way as the giant crashed to the ground, dead on arrival. With as much of a look of contempt as a mask can convey, fired a glare directly at Sapphire and Kupi, and then disappeared.

Sapphire, missing the look and the Dragon's untimely death, helped Kupi stand. "Are you... okay?" he asked, using the special interrogative tone reserved for those who know that it's not alright but have to ask anyway.
    "I'll be fine, I think..." Kupi answered. "Whatever it was is already gone. Who... what was that?" Kupi looked at the Dragon, and noticed that it, much like the Boomas and wolves, was melting, and giving off quite a stench while it was at it.
    "I have no clue, honestly," Sapphire replied with utter gloom. "I think we'd better find a working teleporter out of here and get back to Pioneer 2..."

It was quite a day.

---

...and that's it. Yes, I know Megid doesn't work on bosses. Bear with me; it's a fanfic. ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kupi on 2003-03-13 17:25 ]</font>

Svm Inimicus Mali

It has been too long. So I'll shut up and give you Chapter 4 now.

---

The night of the first day of hunting, Kupi dreamt...

"Kupi!" a voice was calling out to him.

"You must listen!"

"Hnng!"

Silence reigned in an inky void... Boomas walked in criss-crossing paths, forming Hildebears where they collided, and then disappeared.

"...let go!"

Kupi unclenched his hand, and looked at the Cane that had fallen out of it. It was spinning in circles of its own accord. For no reason other than the fact that he had the sudden compulsion to do so, Kupi kicked it, sending it twirling away, where it struck a Dragon in the toenail, annoying it. It, Kupi felt with a dreamer's certainty, referred to the Cane. The Dragon was rather happy with the occurance. It was the Cane that wanted to be somewhere else.

And that's when the face appeared. It had glowing red eyes... those eyes... Kupi felt like he was staring at a full face, but all he could see were the eyes... full of malice... hatred... binding him to the spot...

"Kupi!" A different voice had stabbed through the darkness.

"Kupi! Wake up!"

"Kupi!"

Something hit him in the stomach.

"Oomph!" Kupi exclaimed, snapping upright and noticing Sapphire standing next to him, rubbing a fist. "What did you do that for?"
    "I've been trying to wake you up for ten minutes and you wouldn't come to!" Sapphire shouted back. "Geez, are you still wearing your Frame or something?"
    Kupi nodded. "Yep. That thing's a pain to get out of, much less get into," the smaller Force remarked.
    "It's a pain to hit bare-knuckled, as well," Sapphire quipped, still rubbing the hand. "Anyway, we need to get a move on. It's practically noon and I've got something big planned for today."
    "Oh?"
    "I'll tell you when it comes to it. In any case, I thought I'd tell you about what I've learned since last night."
    "Oh?" prompted Kupi, already on his way to the kitchen and debating whether or not to make breakfast or lunch.
    Sapphire loosed a lectural flood. "Well, the first furry brown thing we ran across is called a 'Booma.' They're pretty stupid. The only behavioral pattern that's been observed about them is 'charge and rip with claws.' Nobody's seen them do anything else, which is really weird. We haven't really seen any of their young, either. Then, there's the yellow bird. They're called 'Rappies.' The original Pioneer 1 log said that they'd practically taken to domestication as if it was in their nature to be like that, but now that we've had hunters go down from Pioneer 2 they're recommending that you stay away from them. They've become aggressive, despite the fact that almost anyone is bigger and meaner than them. Even you, Kupi," Sapphire added with a chuckle. "The really weird thing about them is that they're seemingly immortal. People have shot them, stabbed them, smashed them, even blown them up, but they always live through it. And they play dead until the attacker runs away. The theory is that they've got immeasurable life-force, but they put all of it into their defense instead of an offense. The wolf-things have simply been called Wolves, either Savage or Barbarous, depending on the color. They attack the same way and are pretty much completely similar to one another, except that the Barbarous variety is rarer and more powerful, plus they seem to play a leadership role. If you kill the Barbarous Wolf, the Savage Wolves lose the will to fight. Pretty intelligent creatures..."

Kupi interrupted Sapphire's stint as a player's guide with a sandwich that Sapphire immediately bit into and was forced to take a second look at. "Er?"
    Kupi grinned. "Since this is breakfast and lunch, I figured I might as well combine the two. It's scrambled egg and bacon on wheat bread," he explained with a short bow.
    "Interesting," Sapphire commented, and continued. "The big thing with the arms was a Hildebear. Not only can they jump huge distances, but they've got enormous upper arm strength and they have an odd bit at their mouth where they can make a spark. They spit globs of flammable stuff and spark it on the way out, which results in a fireball that can adhere to your body. Not a nice thing to get hit by. Pioneer 1 found them friendly, but the one we ran into seems to be the norm nowadays. That big blue explosion changed everything, it seems... and the Dragon. It's obvious that the damage done to the Dome was done by the Dragon. There's no questioning that. But I just don't get how it happened! They would've detected its approach or shot it down once it emerged, and in any case they can't generate that much energy!"
    "They?" Kupi questioned.
    "Yup. Apparently there's several of them, or at least enough that if you kill one, another takes its place eventually. They're not offering Guild bounties for them any more; it's just assumed that there'll be one and you can kill it if you want. That reminds me... do you have any idea where that FOnewearl with the mask came from? It's like she just appeared out've the air..."
    Kupi shrugged. "I don't know either. I'm glad she saved us, but... I don't know. Something felt wrong about it."
    "Wrong enough to make you collapse," Sapphire suggested. "That was another thing I looked up. There're a few reported cases like yours, where someone'll be adverse to particular techniques, even to the point of being unable to stand having them cast around them. But, there's no cure so far and no real pattern to it in any case. But hey, if you figure it out, you could have your own disorder!"
    Kupi forced a laugh. Somehow, the line "Kupi Syndrome" lacked the dramatic impact that nomenclature applied to disease was supposed to have. That, and he really didn't want people thinking of him while they were in pain.

Sapphire stood, finishing off the last of his brunch sandwich. "Okay!" he said, clapping his hands together emphatically. "Now to the real business of today. Today, we go... shopping!" This time, the smile Kupi gave in response was more sincere; he could relate to shopping far better than combat or diseases. However, it struck him to ask what they would be shopping for. Sapphire replied, "Better equipment for us, and a bodyguard."
    "A bodyguard?" Kupi rogated.
    Sapphire nodded enthusiastically. "They're expensive, but you can actually buy basic Androids programmed to keep you alive at any cost. No offense, but neither of us is really well-equipped to take hits, and we got lucky on our first hunting mission. If anyone's going to get hit, I'd prefer it be something that can get a new arm if should lose one."

That created odd images in Kupi's head.

One trip to the nearest Hunters' Market later, Sapphire and Kupi had plenty of new stuff to wear, not to mention the fact that Sapphire had much more to explain to Kupi, doing so at risk of boring the readers. "This," he began, pointing to sort of forearm-bracelet that both were now wearing, "Is called a Barrier. It works on a photon system, but instead of vaporizing, it repulses. If you see an attack coming, try to put that arm between it and you and it should bounce off or dissipate. The big stick you're holding is called a Rod," said Sapphire, pointing to the long stick with a semicircular piece of it missing on the end, "It's pretty much a curved photon blade on the end of a shaft. You can't possibly swing it as fast a Cane, but if you absolutely can't get out of the way, you can at least put that in front of you to take some of the impact. Plus it's way longer than a Cane, so you can hit more accurately and from greater distances. Not to mention that it's got a blade, so it'll do more damage than a plain old thump on the head. And I've got a Wand." Sapphire pointed to the short baton he was holding, which had ornate green crystals on either side. "The idea is that you cast your techniques as if it's a part of your body. The spell's power gets amplified a bit before it's sent out. And I bought a few more Technique Disks, as well. Next time we go hunting you'll get to see some real pyrotechnics!" Kupi nodded at the end of the monologue, making absolutely sure that he commited all of the information to memory so Sapphire wouldn't repeat himself like a poorly-coded NPC.

There was a brief period of silence as Sapphire led the way to the next shop. That silence was long enough for Kupi to formulate a question. "Just what do you do for a living, Sapphire?" He knew that Sapphire had, at times, asked not to be disturbed as he worked at his computer. Sapphire made a humble gesture.

"I design video games," he answered sparsely. "I'm not much for coding, but I've got ideas. Plus, this side job as a Hunter is great field study for motions and monster types and stuff like that. It doesn't pay well, but it's what I always wanted to do as a kid, so I'm happy." Kupi nodded. Living a life's dream he understood. But what the heck was a "video game?"

That question had to be put on hold, since the two had arrived at their destination. Kupi noticed that the area was noticably more grim than their old home ship of Altair. It wasn't that it was any less lit, or less populous, or less bustling, but simply less happy. Sapphire pushed the open button on the door and stepped in. There was a dull metal thunk that Kupi couldn't trace the location of. Two men on either end of a plain rectangular room stole furtive glances at once another. One of them moved to block a door at the back corner. "How may I help you?" asked one of them with a tone of voice that Sapphire didn't like. Turning quickly, he whispered, "Wait near the door," to Kupi. Turning back, Sapphire apparently changed moods. "I'm here to buy a bodyguard."

The man furtherest from the door grinned, revealing some teeth that were not on good terms with the local toothbrush. "Guard droids? Yeah, we got plenny. Have a look round, take yer time," the door-blocker slurred. Sapphire obliged him, observing the various Androids standing stiffly at attention in rows, internal processors whirring dutifully. They all had price tags attached to cords wound around their necks, many valued in excess of 200,000 Meseta. That was more than Sapphire could spend, much less willingingly! After a great amount of deliberation, which didn't bother the storekeepers at all, Sapphire finally settled on an extremely short ranger-type female android, on the sheer virtue of the fact that she would only cost him 100,000 Meseta.

At that point Kupi noticed an Android in the back that was "winking" at him. It was hard to concretely apply the term, since it didn't have eyelids to do so with. However, the Android was leaning with its arms folded against the wall, looking directly at him, one "eye's" light disappearing for a moment, then returning, then the other light would blink off. It was some kind of signal, and just before the Meseta exchanged hands, Kupi shouted, "Wait! What about that one?" pointing to the extravagantly painted orange, yellow, and blue Android in the back.

"That one ain't fer sale," grumbled Bad Teeth.
    "Heh. You con artist," the Android shot back, putting extreme stress on the words, "con artist." "Of course I'm available. I'm just cheap 'cause I'm an older model, right? 25,000 Meseta."

Despite the fact that the Android was definitely not standard bodyguard droid fare, getting a guard for a quarter of the price was not a deal that Sapphire wanted to pass up. Besides, he knew enough programming to fix whatever idiosyncracies the Android might have. Before either of the storekeepers could protest, Sapphire had forced the money into Bad Teeth's hands and the party of now three was heading for the door. It shut just as Bad Teeth managed to formulate a halting sentence. Undaunted, he pulled a communicator from his belt and said, "B.P.? We got a problem."

Outside, the HUcast beckoned Sapphire and Kupi to follow him as he broke into a run. "We have to act fast. You bought me to protect you, and I'm going to have to do that sooner than you'd think," he commanded with a deep, muscular voice that was apparently not used to being disobeyed. Sapphire, not about to let a 25,000 Meseta investment go to waste, followed. Kupi followed Sapphire because that seemed to be the thing to do. Finally, Sapphire caught up to the HUcast and yelled, "Where are we going? And what's going on?" The HUcast didn't even turn his head to look at him. "I will tell you later."

The three hunters bore down on the teleport to Ragol. Great, thought Sapphire. Not only do I not know what this Android's going to do, he's going to do it down on Ragol where nobody's going to be able to see him. "Caves!" yelled the Android to the technitian, subsequently cluing the Forces in as to their location. One rapid teleport later, they were in the magma caves resting beneath Central Dome, and sweating profusely. Kupi was glad that he'd kept his gear other than what he'd bought with him on; there wasn't much reason to take it off and now he'd have to use it.

"Come! Quickly!" the Android yelled to them, charging off. Sapphire noticed numerous weapons of various designs strapped to the HUcast's body, but he couldn't identify them as anything he'd heard about previously. Fighting alongside (or against) this guy was going to be interesting. In the very first room they entered, a wave of monsters appeared through indefinite means. There was a little light cascading down, and then there they were. In the far end of the circle-shaped room there were two of a large type of flower with white petals, a maw in the center, and a very thin stem that bent all the way to its base. Beginning at the center of the room and closing fast were two monsters similar in build to Boomas. They had the same frame, but were instead green colored and had a fin on their heads that waggled about when they moved. On top of all that, they had long blades down the length of their arms rather than claws and the ends.

The HUcast charged, not even drawing a weapon. One of the green monsters met him, another aimed for Sapphire. Kupi took the opportunity to slide around the edge of the room and engage the nearest flower, which was looking at him interestedly. The Android began with a low punch to the Shark (as the HUcast later called them) while Sapphire wound up and, using the Wand for extra momentum, launched a fireball at his Shark's head, stunning but not killing it, much to Sapphire's surprise and disappointment. Surprise dominated when the Shark got too close, prompting Sapphire to put his Barrier to good use and repulse the cleaving strike from the Shark's arm. Meanwhile, Kupi and the flower had reached a stalemate. Kupi was out of range of its bite, but at that distance he couldn't do anything to it. The last enemy, feeling lonely, simply watched the melee.

The bodyguard's Shark recovered from the blow to its stomach and span an arm at its attacker. The HUcast grabbed it with the matching hand and kneed the Shark in the stomach, doubling it over, and followed with a two-fisted crush to its back, producing a SNAP that indicated that that fight was over. Sapphire, having held the Shark's arm at a distance with his Barrier's repulsion, put some extra effort into his arm, pushed the Shark's arm above its head, and placed his Wand right at the Shark's nose. One minor explosion later, the number of living sharks was reduced by one. At last, the stalemate broke between Kupi and the plant. Kupi sent a pensive jab with the end of his Rod towards its face, which it dodged. Several seconds later, a wet gurgle indicated that something was about to happen before a tidal wave of green vomit erupted from the (aptly named) Poison Lily's mouth, covering Kupi in the green glop. Immediately Kupi resorted to a traditional Aurisan magic spell whose sole stated purpose was to clean clothes. The glop disappeared, much to the HUcast and Sapphire's surprise, but nevertheless the HUcast tossed a pill at Kupi as Sapphire hurled a sphere of icewater at the Lily, knocking it loopy.

Kupi looked at the pill uncertainly as Sapphire continued fighting the Lily through the less dignified tactic of beating it over the head with his wand. "Don't worry," the HUcast said to Kupi. "Take that. It's an antidote, and you'll need it. You've been poisoned."
    "But I feel fin--" Kupi got about that far before the first pang of pain shot through his stomach. Without a second thought, he downed the pill. Meanwhile, Sapphire had thoroughly beaten the overgrown weed to a pulp in a combination of Wand thwacks and wooden-shoed stomps.
    "One left!" Sapphire yelled, after becoming convinced that the Lily was good and dead. "But we can't get close to it and it can't hit us from this range. And we can't move on because it's presence is keeping the doors locked. So now what do we do?" he asked the HUcast. That guy seemed to know his way around the area.

Without a word, the Android drew a long-barreled handgun, took aim, and shot the plant in the face. The doors unlocked.

"Problem solved," muttered the Android, breaking once again into a run. "C'mon!"

A particularly long and twisting hallway allowed Sapphire's mind to wander, which led in turn to him wondering what exactly was going on. He vocalized the thought, adding as well that he ought to be the one giving the orders here.

"Fine, I'll tell you what's going on," the Android called back to the two Forces behind him. "So long as you keep up. The concept of a bodyguard drone is all well and good, but you have no idea how expensive we are to assemble. One of the build you guys saw at the shop could take well over 500,000 Meseta to get the parts for."
    "How do they stay in business, then?" Sapphire panted, wondering aloud. Quickly, he answered his own question. "You don't mean they steal the parts, do you?"
    "After a fashion," the bodyguard retorted. "The Androids at that shop used to be thinking people. With personalities. Like me. But they were ambushed by a group under a man called 'Black Paper,' who's in the business of illegal trades. They're like humans without souls, now. There's no hope for them. The only reason I managed to survive was because you guys came right before they managed to disable my main processor and the disturbance accidently reconnected my movement circuits. So I came up with a reasonable ploy to get you to buy me and here we are."
    "So why are we running?" interjected Kupi.
    The answer was chilling. "Because the fact that I know what their 'business' is like and am now free presents a serious threat to their continued operation. They would just love to keep all three of us silent, and diplomacy is not part of their repertoire."
    "You mean they're going to try to kill us?!" Kupi yelled, with excusable hysteria. He'd only been a hunter for a few days, and anything he'd fought had been a monster. Hitting people was out of the question!
    "You bought me to be your bodyguard, right? Well, I indeed to make good on that deal. Besides, I created this mess for you and there's no way I'm going to let you take the fall for what I got you into. By the way, my name is Soki." I certainly bought the right Android, Sapphire thought to himself.

The party entered a dead-end room. Half of the floor wasn't really a floor, but rather a steep dropoff into a pool of magma. Sapphire scanned the room momentarily, then said, "We're trapped. Isn't that a bad thing?!"
    The Android shook his head. "Not necessarily. There's only one way in, and I've got Telepipes."
    "What?" interjected Kupi, feeling like another long-winded explanation was coming on. To his surprise, the Android's description of what a Telepipe did was brief. "If worst comes to worst, hit the button on this hoop," the Android told him, handing one to both Sapphire and Kupi. "It'll take you back to the Pioneer 2 instantly, and we'll improvise from there. Now. You two stand at the side of the doors and get ready to hit anyone who comes through. I've got my own plan." At that, the Android stood at the center of the room and crouched. Shrugging, Sapphire took his place and Kupi stood opposite Sapphire.

Some time passed, allowing both fleshy people to get very nervous.

"Get ready... their operative is coming... now!" yelled Soki suddenly, and charged for the door just as it opened. Bad Teeth was on the other side, and Sapphire had to admit that the guy had good reflexes for a fat man. Far better reflexes than either he or Kupi, in fact. Fortunately, the HUcast was the one who managed to draw his attention first. Bad Teeth managed three shots before the bodyguard finally reached him, deflecting the photonic spheres as he ran with his arm-mounted shield. The last bullet reflected perfectly back into the gun's barrel, making it burst in the man's hand. Bad Teeth quite nearly managed to recover from the blow before the Android spun, grabbed the arm that was still in the air from the recoil of the gun's explosion and flipped Bad Teeth over his shoulder and to the floor. Sapphire made his contibution by kicking the fallen man in the ribs, and Kupi decided that that was a great time to back out of the way.

Bad Teeth jumped to his feet, pulling out and swinging a Saber in one smooth motion. With Sapphire's explanation of what a Rod is for in his mind, Kupi held up the Rod. It wasn't so much the fact that the Rod was there that saved him, it was more the way Kupi leaned backward, allowing the Saber to cut through the air (and the Rod, creating two sticks of minimal usefulness) in the gap between his unusually-stanced arms. Soki caught the attacking RAmar's wrist, stopping his slice in its tracks, and twisted. A very loud crack indicated that Bad Teeth wasn't going to use that hand again for a long time. Still gripping the man's wrist, Soki wrenched the RAmar's arm backward and punched him in the stomach simultaneously, before grabbing his collar and proving that an Android can take a collosion of heads much better than a human can. Amazingly, Bad Teeth was still conscious.

Soki then lifted the dazed attacker by his shirt and walked over to the very edge of the magma pit, dangling the man above it until he regained his senses.
    "Soki, don't!" called Sapphire, truly worried that this was about to become as bad for Bad Teeth as Bad Teeth had planned it to be for them.
    "I wouldn't dream of it. Stop squirming, you," Soki growled, directing the order to Bad Teeth, who had become acutely aware of his predicament. Suddenly Soki's voice deepened and became slower as he laid out his terms to the RAmar. "Now, listen. You are beaten and hang on to life by a thread. I hope your jacket is strong enough to hold you while we talk. You are in no position to negotiate terms. You are going to go back to your organization and tell them that The One That Escaped is not going to talk. Neither are his owners. Your operation is safe. But only so long as no harm comes to or is attempted against my owners. The next time one of you and I meet on the battlefield, one of us will die. And you have seen what I can do. I will hold you personally responsible for delivering this message. If we are attacked again, you will die. Do you understand?"
    "Yeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeah..." gibbered Bad Teeth, who had just had his life flash before his eyes and thus seen a rather convincing junk food commercial.

Bad Teeth then experienced human flight as Soki hurled him towards the door.

"Go!" the Android barked at him. There was no defiance from the defeated agent, who fled.

"That..." Sapphire stuttered, "That was incredible! The way you... whu! Dude!"
    "Yeah!" Kupi added, agreeing with the sentiment.
    "Let's go back to the Pioneer 2," Soki suggested bluntly. "This place still isn't safe."
    "One question first?" Sapphire pleaded.
    "Yeah?"
    "You're going to want to go free, aren't you?"
    "I must stay with you to make sure they don't attack you in your sleep. Besides, I was originally built to be a bodyguard anyway, so it's not as though I'll be out of my element. Now c'mon, let's go." With that, Soki took the Telepipe from his belt, hit the button, and disappeared. After making sure Kupi had used his, Sapphire followed them. Wow, he thought to himself. I really DID buy the right Android.

And promptly fell flat on his face because he'd forgotton to brace his legs.

---

Hope you liked it. ^_^ *off*

I really admire how people have the time to think up of these types of things. It really takes a lot of craetive thinking.

Svm Inimicus Mali

Thanks, OC. ^_^ In all honesty, most of this didn't take a lot of time, but only for the reason that these characters existed a long time before PSO. And the situations are mostly spur-of-the-moment; that's the result of RPing at this one MUSH for over two years now... I take my characters, put 'em in a situation, and run with it. It's surprisingly effective for writing stories.

Svm Inimicus Mali

It's been far too long. But, here you go. No more speaky from meaky.

---

"Now circulating in the Hunter's Guild is a rumor regarding subterranean mines discovered recently after the slaying of a creature now known as De Rol Le. The military branch aboard Pioneer 2, WORKS, has sealed off the area for special investigation, closing it to all agents of the Hunter's Guild until further notice. In other news today, Derrik Pecunius, the son of Edgar Pecunius, acclaimed multimillionaire and owner of Pecunius Industries, has disappeared. No word on cause, motive, or location, but his family fears the worst. Derrick--"

The television broadcast disappeared quickly as Sapphire closed the window on his computer. "That's enough bad news for today, and it's time to get back to work," he muttered to himself, though audibly to Kupi and Soki. The former shrugged to the latter, checked the clock, and saw that it was time to start fixing dinner. Soki followed, simply because as an Android with a personality he was susceptible to boredom. Kupi took note of the Android's entrance into the kitchen and voiced a question that had been on his mind for the three days since the Black Paper incident.

"Hey, Soki? You said that you already knew the bodyguard business. I though the guys who got attacked by Black Paper were just hunters, like us. So did you start out as a bodyguard?"
    "Yes. That's what I was built for," the HUcast answered with a tone of voice that said further questions would not be appreciated. Kupi missed it entirely.
    "What happened to the guy you were guarding, then?" Kupi asked, and then a possibility hit him. "Oh... I'm sorry..."
    "Actually, no. The man I used to guard is still alive and well," spat Soki with increased loathing. "When they came up with the early specs for a female Android of similar abilities to mine, he... traded me in. Got a wonderful little bionic girlfriend to keep him alive in battle and keep him company at home. You don't do that to an Android with a personality!" Soki roared suddenly, bringing a fist crashing onto the counter and disrupting the various herbs that Kupi had laid out, not to mention Kupi himself. Oblivious to Kupi's wide-eyed stare, Soki continued, "And I'm going to train myself. Eternally, if I have to. I'm going to get better and better until I'm stronger than that stupid HUcaseal and then I'll have my revenge. ...completely within the boundaries of law, of course," he concluded, finally taking note of both Forces giving him wierd, "okay, I think I'll just be fleeing for my life now" looks.

There was a pause. "I'm going hunting. Enjoy your dinner," Soki said, exiting quickly. Sapphire and Kupi turned their gazes upon each other.

Another pause. "Well, I guess so long as he does his job it's okay. We've all got our little oddities somewhere," said Sapphire, returning to work, and making a mental note that it would probably be unwise to try to rewire Soki at this point. That could get ugly.

Kupi's dream that night began with a voice...

"Kupi! Listen to me and listen carefully. Don't look over there!"

Kupi, in the sort of calculated stupidity that can only result from being told not to do something, looked. He saw a Poison Lily giggling to itself before an earthworth carrying a gun started firing missles at it, which managed to blow both of them to pieces. The giggling didn't stop. Looking back, Kupi saw nothing. Technically, that wasn't true. He saw a lot of stuff, just nothing beneath him.

Kupi fell.

Right before he hit "the ground," he recoiled back upward, slowed to a halt in midair, and made a beeline for the nearest solid ground to the sound of cartoon bongos. Having established solid ground, he exhaled. Turning, he saw the malice-filled Demon of Death, opening its mouth to say, "Doesn't that make you dizzy?"

Kupi awoke to find the ceiling spinning.

As might be expected of someneone of Kupi's build, personality, and given situation, he screamed. Indirectly, this brought the ceiling to a halt and some Android put him down. He was colored yellow and black, and had a long, shrewish face that lacked eyes. Sapphire, looking surprised, asked Kupi if he was okay.

"I... think?" Kupi answered, struggling to remember what seemed so gravely important at the back of his mind that was slipping through his fingers. Ultimately, he had to dismiss the feeling and approach the issue of who had just spun him around near the top of the room. "Who's he?"
    Sapphire made a dismissive gesture. "Soki. Apparently he got a makeover," here Soki winced at the term, "to throw Black Paper off the trail if they see him. That, and he doesn't want to wear the symbols of the past or something like that."
    "Right," Soki chimed in, slightly annoyed at the inability to speak for himself.
    "Anyway. Something wrong with you? You don't seem to wake up at all some times. Soki, er.. had to resort to that to snap you out of it," Sapphire said, worried.
    Kupi shook his head. "I feel fine." Then he noticed the fact that his friends were wearing combat gear. "We going somewhere?"
    Sapphire nodded. "Remember that news story yesterday about Derrik Pecunius? Well, his family's offering a 50,000 Meseta bounty to anyone who can find and bring him back alive."
    "50,000... that's a lot, isn't it?" asked Kupi, unfamiliar with the monetary scale.
    "Absolutely! It isn't a chance we can afford to pass up!" answered Sapphire enthusiastically. "Don't bother fixing breakfast... we'll eat rations for today. We can't waste any time. So hurry up and get your gear, and we'll get a move on."

Kupi, still not gripping the monetary value of his actions but well aware of the feeling of urgency, sprang to the task of getting ready and soon the three hunters were heading down the Altair street toward the teleporter, crunching some weakly-flavored ration bars in the cases of Sapphire and Kupi.

"Hey, Sapphire?" Kupi prompted.
    "Yeah?"
    "Why are we heading for Ragol?"
    "Soki did some preliminary investigations before he came back and woke you up. Apparently Derrik isn't on Pioneer 2, or if he is, not in any place legal. He's either been kidnapped, in which case we're in no position to find him, or he's down on Ragol somewhere. The Forest is too open and populated for someone to sneak around in, and the Mines are still sealed off by WORKS. So he'll have to be in the Caves if he's on Ragol. A nearby adventurer took note of the line of reasoning, though hardly to steal it. It was his job to know what was going on in the world...

"Caves," signalled Soki to the technitian, and miraculously all three Derrik-seekers remembered to brace their legs. Without a word, they ventured through the first doors. Green bloodstains lined the floor in some rooms. To this, Soki commented, "Someone's been here." With increased caution, they continued. Eventually the path split into a plus-shaped intersection, one path leading back the way they came and three more heading in new directions.

"Hmm. What do you think about splitting up?" Sapphire suggested.
    "No. Best we stay together... I know I'm fine alone, but, no offense, I don't think you two are ready to go it alone, or even together," Soki advised.
    Sapphire shrugged, slightly miffed. "Fine, whatever. In that case... left." With that, the FOnewm took the left path and the others followed. The next door they passed through closed and bolted behind them as monsters beamed in. Among them were a Poison Lily, a reddish version of a Shark, and a winged creature that looked like a miniature Dragon. Sapphire aimed for the Shark, Kupi charged the plant (in whatever way the verb could be applied to Kupi), and Soki zeroed in on the wyvern, with an unusual level of haste. Sapphire held out his Wand and, with confidence, summoned a small lightning bolt to strike the Shark with all the power of extremely bad static. The Shark went unfazed and continued its march. Kupi, more experienced in the ways of Poison Lillies, switched his grip on his new Rod to the end and took a wide swing at its head, cutting it along the side of the mouth. Soki, meanwhile, leapt into the air just as a bolt of blue energy blazed along the ground beneath him, leaving a seared trench.

Sapphire, only slightly panicked, tried a burst of Barta ice. The Shark flinched and continued on, getting too close for Sapphire's tastes. Unwilling to risk the backblast from a Foie, Sapphire swung his Wand at the Shark's head. Unfortunately, he swung too soon, leaving his arm across his face, which looked too appetizing for the Shark to resist. It bit. Soki landed from his leap and kicked at the Nano Dragon's head, then switched on a hand-mounted blue photonic claw and raked it across the monster's face, leaving only enough left in its proper place for it to bleed. Kupi, sensing that the Lily was off-guard with its face turned, flipped his Rod to a more comfortable position and chopped at the plant's stem, cutting it in two with the photonic blade.

At that point both friendly party members heard Sapphire's scream. He'd fallen in the shock from having tooth-sized gashes ripped into his arm, and was clutching the wounded appendage. He looked upward just in time to see the Shark's bladed arm coming down... and then there was a blue line across his vision and cold "swish," before the arm suddenly diverted its direction, not to mention the Shark's head, which had fallen off backwards. The body then collapsed and dissolved, allowing Soki, holding a blue blade in either hand, to come into view. "Kupi! Quickly! Heal Sapphire's arm!" he yelled. Kupi, after a quick sprint across the room and a nod, decided to forget about the blood and put his hand on Sapphire's arm. One minor flash of light later, there was no trace that Sapphire had been hurt. Unless you counted the blood and torn sleeve. Kupi utilized the Aurisan Laundry Trick to get the blood off of his hand, and Sapphire told him that he'd have to learn how to do that. Soki deactivated the twin blades and placed the hilts on his back, then urged the others to continue.

Sapphire had figured that if the monsters hadn't yet been cleared from the room and that the other party in the area wasn't far enough away that the monsters would have been replaced after their passing, that it would be wise to return to the intersection of paths. Unfortunately, the door through which they had passed had other ideas. A second door was unlocked, but the first remained obstinately closed. With no other option (the doors weren't breakable, said Soki), the party continued through the available route.

The "available route" turned out to lead into a long, straight metal walkway suspended through a cylinder-shaped tunnel in the rock. Just before Sapphire and Kupi stepped out onto the sheet, Soki held out an arm and stopped them.
    "Wait."
    Kupi tilted his head to one side. "But I don't see anything..."
    "That's the idea," said Soki, smirking after a fashion. Once again, he drew the the long-barreled handgun that he'd used before, and fired a shot just upward and in front of him. There was a small but certainly dangerous-looking firey burst. Soki fired off similar shots at points on alternating sides of the walkway down its entire length, until finally the explosions ceased at the door clear on the other side.
    "What the?" muttered Sapphire, midway through the operation.
    "Mines," explained Soki. "It's another failsafe they put in to keep monsters from getting around in the Caves. Unfortunately, the system isn't very effective for killing much except hunters. Androids are built to detect them for disarmament." Sapphire pulled out his ever-present notepad and typed something out on it,, most likely a note about the mines.

The room after the walkway was enormous. Cascades of molten rock descended the slanted walls on either side, with a void of air between the wide suspended grating above the magma flows. In the very center of the grating was a circular heat-release grate for some sort of thermal power system. Cautiously, the trio of adventurers crossed the chasm. Halfway across, at the grate, Soki spotted a lone creature between them and the next door. As soon as he saw it, the HUcast muttered, "Oh no..."

The creature was apparently quadrupedal and bicranial. Both heads were identical in form, facing directly opposite directions from one another and sprouting from opposite sides of the body. Both halves of the body were different colors; one blue, one red. At its "front" (it was difficult to tell the difference) were two oblong cavities. One crablike appendage for either half completed the ensemble. The creature seemed quite content to stand where it was, either not knowing or not caring that there were intruders in its territory.

"What's wrong?" asked Kupi.
    "That's a Pan Arms. If you want to see what's wrong, go hit it," answered Soki.
    Kupi was confused, but shrugged and made his best attempt at sneaking around behind the Pan Arms. The flapping of his robes alone would have given him away to an aware defender, not to mention the clacking of his shoes against the metal. However, the Pan Arms didn't seem to notice. Once behind it (or at least behind the green oblongs on its "front," Kupi activated the photon blade on his Rod, wound up, and took the best swing he could. With a k-chang sound, the photons scattered in different directions, the Rod kicked back, the Pan Arms started to swivel, and Kupi ran away.
    "I thought photons could cut through anything!" Kupi shouted at Soki when he got back to the HUcast.
    "Anything but a Pan Arms," responded Soki while rolling his eyes, in the figurative sense since he didn't have any eyes. "All monsters have some sort of a photonic signature, and some clash with photons more than others. Pan Arms are the only monsters known to have a photon signature opposing every usable photon wavelength."
    "So what do we do?" asked Sapphire, realizing what the lock system could do with a monster like a Pan Arms.
    "Pester it," ordered Soki, drawing the handgun again and taking some shots at the Pan Arms, which crashed into nothingness against the Pan Arms's hide. Sapphire, with a shrug to Kupi, pitched several fireballs at it, which bounced off at funny angles. Right in the middle of the assault, the Pan Arms reared up on its back legs and crashed down.
    "Get ready! Here comes the real fight!" yelled Soki.

The Pan Arms demonstrated why its name used a plural. Both colored halves seemed to be straining against one another until finally it snapped, and with a squelch there were suddenly two monsters, both standing on the legs that they had. They opened up their claws, allowing one glowing bladelike projection to come out of it, quite similar to a photonic Saber.

"Kupi! Take the blue one! Sapphire, come with me!" Soki ordered, and then with further consideration added, "And use ice, Sapphire!" In the thrill of combat, neither questioned the command. Kupi charged the blue half, which backpedaled away from him. This took Kupi by surprise and brought him to a halt, at which point the blue creature stopped as well. Decisive charges by Kupi seemed to end at stalemates. Sapphire, once within range, threw a line of icy bursts along the ground toward the red half, causing its feet to slip. Undaunted, the creature used its backward momentum to thrust its blade at Soki, swiveling forward. Soki leapt to the right.

Kupi was right about to put his Rod to use when the blue monster broke the stalemate on its own by marching forward. Kupi held up his Rod to defend. The purple blade when right through it, then through Kupi. To Kupi's astonishment, he wasn't dead. But he felt very, very tired all of a sudden, and struggled to stay upright. Meanwhile, Sapphire's next ice wave struck the red half of the Pan Arms in the face, knocking it off-balance and opening it up for Soki's kick to its back. The combined knocks to both its front and back had the poor thing so confused that it ultimately fell forward. One swipe of Soki's claw weapon, and it was not in any condition to get back up again.

With their attentions turned, the duo finally noticed Kupi, who unfortunately had to put all of his effort into staying balanced and on his feet instead of his face. Sapphire ran to Kupi, and Soki charged the monster, a confrontation that ended quickly since it had become fixated upon the corpse of its other half, which was decaying rapidly. As Soki returned to his owners, Sapphire looked at him with a mixture of questioning and blame.

"What's wrong with him?"
    "Jellen and Zalure," muttered Soki. "The whole reason I sent Kupi after that thing is because it can't kill you. All it can do with that purple blade is loosen your muscles so you can't attack it or defend yourself. It'll wear off soon."
    Kupi, supported by the knowledge that muscle control would eventually return, fell over. Soki facepalmed, and without a word tossed Kupi over his shoulder and made for the far door. Kupi would have protested, but his mouth refused to move. The tunnels continued for quite some time, and Sapphire noted that every single door they passed through locked behind them. Like it or not, they were heading forward. At last the passge opened up into a wider room after another sliding door. The room had four doors in all the cardinal directions, but only one new exit was available to the party. The other two were blocked by a lava flow in a trench that was far too wide to be crossed. Of further interest was the boy on the far side, clutching a standardized Handgun model and creeping towards the north door.

"That's him!" yelled Sapphire, catching the boy's attention. With a yelp, Derrik ran for the nearest door and darted through as soon as an opening wide enough to pass between had been created. Right then Kupi's motor control returned, and through a series of irate body motions he convinced Soki to let him down.

"Great. The kid's still got a head start on us," Sapphire observed. "But I think if we hurry, we can head him off. That door locked behind him. So if the paths diverge at one point, they have to converge somewhere else if they all lead to the same point like I've heard. So let's go!" With that, the FOnewm ran for the door, and Soki and Kupi followed.

One mad dash later, the party found themselves facing a group of monsters composed entirely of Sharks; three normal, two red Pal Sharks, and one yellow Guil Shark. Soki charged into their triangular formation, evading two bladed arm swipes from the frontal Sharks, rolling around a Pal Shark, and finally arriving at the Guil Shark, which he punched in the face to stun and then grabbed at the waist and spun. The two slashes from the Pal Sharks from behind that were meant for him instead drew their comrade's blood. Sapphire, with numbers enough to justify the procedure, took extra time to charge his fire energy as he broke into a run toward the Sharks. When at last he released the spell, it was a whirling maelstrom of fireballs that swirled outward around him, charring the three nearest Sharks around him to bipedal cinders. Kupi rushed in afterward, and took a swing at the first Pal Shark's backside, burying the photon blade at the end of his Rod into it until it stuck. At that point, reflex took over, Kupi pulled the blade back to a firm grip (inflicting further damage to the Shark in the process) and got out of there.

Soki shifted his hold on the Guil Shark from its waist to its neck and pulled his forearm in, snapping the Shark's neck. The unwounded Pal Shark lost that status to Sapphire's next fireball, leaving the final living Shark to face a three-way assault as Soki's foot slammed into its back, a fireball from Sapphire's off hand burnt into its face, and Kupi slapped its shin with the non-photonic end of his Rod. The next door's lock ground open and the party rushed through it. Just as Sapphire had predicted, the path met three others, and the door from one of the sides opened, revealing Derrik Pecunius. One brief scuffle later, the teen was without a weapon and under guard. Strangely, though, there were five people in the room, that fifth of whom wanted to know just who three of the other ones were.

"We were looking for Derrik," Sapphire explained. Soki, Kupi noticed, was blocking off the exit.
    "Two seconds before I got here, too..." growled the new arrival. She was wearing fairly modest clothing that covered all the necessary extremities and more, with cloth to spare around the shirt and pants. If one were to judge only by her clothes, she had a fairly relaxed look. However, the large glasses she wore and the way her hair was tied into a tight brown ponytail underneath a tied raglike cloth gave her a more uptight look, and her eyes, if one had the vision to see deep enough into them, carried fear. All of this was overshadowed by the huge sniping rifle she carried in her arms, a sign that she was a hunter by trade and a Ranger by classification.
    "I suppose we could split the reward money?" Sapphire suggested, not wanting to get on the bad side of a person with a gun.
    "Discussed like a common animal..." muttered Derrik, who had positioned himself against a wall. The comment went unnoticed by all but Kupi, who walked over and made his best attempt at conversation with a runaway.
    "Um... hi?" he started.
    Derrik peered at Kupi, a hint of recollection stirring at the back of his mind. "I know you... you are the one who wished to be a cook for us, and my father threw you back out to the street. You're part of the reason I left, you know."
    Kupi didn't. "What?"
    "I abhor my parents. They hoard their wealth and leave the rest of humanity to rot. I have no trouble with wealth, mind you, but refusing to help those in need is inexcusable. We could very well have put another cook to good use, for example. So I fled. I would rather be poor and able to give unto others than wealthy and unable to help those that need it."
    Kupi nodded solemnly, considered his words, and spoke. "Well, it's best to obey your parents when they don't threaten your safety. They're at least older and probably wiser than you are at that point, and if you disagree with them you won't have to suffer through their ideals for long when all things're considered. And... have you tried talking to them?"
    Derrik nodded. "They do not listen to me. I am simply my father's successor, nothing more."
    Kupi sighed, with the weight of the situation coming down hard. "Well, they're worried about you now, if it counts for anything. And rushing out and getting yourself killed isn't the way to handle any situation. I don't know much else beyond that," the FOmar admitted.
    Meanwhile, the alternate conversation had turned sour. An appropriate arrangement had been made for split pay, but receiving that payment was presenting a problem.
    "The doors keep locking, though," noted Sapphire. "We're just going to keep going forward unless we can find a teleport out."
    "We could make our own, you know," snorted the RAmarl. "You've got to know about Telepipes."
    Sapphire noted, feeling humbled. "That's right. Too bad I didn't pack any... Soki?"
    Soki blinked, in the sense that applies to the eyeless. A series of complicated self-searching motions indicated that Soki had neglected to stop at the shop and pick up more of the instant salvation devices. The RAmarl rolled her eyes at both of them.
    "Men... you forget to bring your brains with you whenver you go anywhere..." she muttered under her breath. More audibly, she stated, "Well, you're lucky that I always bring ex... tras?" The RAmarl patted her hip, and a vision of her Item Pack, a miniature teleportation flux device that kept improbable numbers of things in a state of eternal transportation around the Pack, sitting at the foot of her bed, came back to her mind. Slowly she realized that now nobody had a Telepipe to use. Her eyes widened, but in more levels of fear than simply being stranded.
    "Great," said Soki, seeing her reaction to the blunder. "We're just going to have to fight our way to the next teleport. It's a long way, though, and..."
    Sapphire did not like the way that Soki trailed off. "And?" he prompted.
    "And the nearest teleports that're wired to head for Pioneer 2 are in the entrances to the mine complex, connected to the sewer system. That's where they saw the De Rol Le," Soki explained.
    "What's wrong with that? I thought they killed the De Rol!" protested Kupi.
    Sapphire shook his head. "They've done more studies and sent more people into the sewers. Apparently the mutation sustained by the De Rol before it escaped allowed it to self-replicate." Anticipating Kupi's answer, Sapphire continued. "That means it can create more of itself without any sort of fertilization. There are hundreds of De Rol Les swimming around in the sewer, and more growing. There's a good chance that we'll be attacked by one if we try to get the mine complex. But we don't have a choice since the doors are locking behind us and we don't have Telepipes OR know Ryuker, which has the same effect." Sapphire drew the Handgun that had fallen into his possession during the subdual of Derrik, and tossed it to the boy. "We're going to need everything we can get to get through this place with everyone intact. C'mon, let's go."

Fortunately, the now party of five didn't run into any monsters for the rest of the floor, but also didn't get anything to talk about, marching on in silence. To Sapphire's surprise, the way onward led through a teleporter, which brought a question to mind.

"Wait a minute, can't we just set this teleporter to the Pioneer 2?"
    Soki shook his head, but contrarily said, "Technically, yes. But this is a site-to-site matter transporter... it's wired for one location only, rather than having the ability to pick a target dynamically. You could rewire it, but you'd have to be pretty darned sure to know where you're going or the coodinates could put you anywhere. It's not an acceptable risk." With that, the HUcast stepped inside and disappeared, leaving the rest to shrug to one another and follow him.

The end location was a severe change from the first floor of the Caves. Instead of sweating, the organic members of the party were now shivering, though largely due to the fact that they'd become used to being too hot. The air was frigid and water dripped from the ceiling in places, forming puddles on the floor. Despite the shift in themes, the first obstacle to the group's path was familiar; a mechanical doorway that, as they expected, shifted to locked once all five of them were through the door and it closed. Now they stood in a rectangular room, completely devoid of anything interesting except the allure of escape by the door on the opposite end, which happened to be locked as well. Sensing trouble but not seeing it, Soki made his way into the room cautiously, ahead of the rest. Sapphire, Kupi, and the RAmarl scanned the room for danger, and Derrik hung back near the door.

Kupi poked Sapphire on the shoulder, and asked him a question. "Were those puddles there before?" Sapphire, Soki, and the RAmarl followed his pointing finger. Sure enough, there were puddles forming at an alarming rate at either far corner. However, they did not appear to be composed of water. They were still blue, but a darker blue with a faintly visible reddish core. And eventually they split into two halves each, and began to move of their own accord towards Soki, who wisely moved out of the way. One of the slimes pursued him while the other three picked targets and attempted to ensnare their feet. Either fortunately or unfortunately, depending on whose side you were on, the slimes were too slow to catch up with the swift human (or Newman, in Sapphire's case) feet. Thus, acting simultaneously and similarly, they reformed. The red bit on the side was what truly took on a new shape, becoming crescentlike with spines on the sides, with a pointed head, complete with eyes. The bluish gunk simply followed the red and continued to surround it.

Soki wasted no time in punching the Slime in the face. This produced a squelching sound and no useful result. The Slime waited for a moment, then exhaled a droplet of firey blue ether that travelled too slowly for someone with Soki's reflexes to be hit by. The HUcast took one step sideways and allowed the cold flames to bounce their way to the wall and peter out. Sapphire, taking a chance, held out his wand and focused his ice magic into a blast of icy wind laced with crystalline shards, resulting in a flash-frozen Slime statue. The RAmarl brought the muzzle of her Rifle directly between her Slime's eyes, receiving no reaction from the reticent creature. Pulling the trigger produced a shower of blue and red gunk that spatter in various locations across the room, but unfortunately the only other result was the rest of the Slime reverting to a mobile puddle and fleeing to a farther location before coming back up again. Finally, Kupi established yet another futile fight as he used the Rod to chop through the Slime in front of him again and again, to no avail. Derrik, aware of his value, stayed near the door and out of danger.

Soki improvised, crossing his arms to form an X around the Slime, and then uncrossed them with as much alacrity as he could muster. This did indeed split the Slime in two, which proved to be a tactically stupid manuver, as both halves then expanded to full size and took the upright position. Sapphire experienced a similar phenominon as the iced Slime shattered the frozen shell around it, tearing itself in two as it did so. Both pieces grew into full Slimes within moments. Meanwhile, the gun maiden was taking pot shots at the fleeing blue puddle, and made the discovery that the photon bullets ricocheted off of the rounded mass of blue. Kupi and his Slime began the staring contest that Kupi's battles seemed to detenerate into eventually. Just then Kupi heard a squishing noise from below, looked down, and saw a circle of the red slime forming beneath him. Not having the scientific spirit to discover what this would do firsthand, Kupi dove out of the way just as a scythelike extention burst upward, flailed around, and then lowered and returned to the Slime that had been given enough time to consider its actions. Its attack made, the Slime reverted to a blob and chased after Kupi.

"Sapphire!" Soki yelled suddenly. "Stick your hand in one of 'em and use fire!" Sapphire got the opportunity immediately, as a Slime reared up right next to him. Swallowing his sense of decency for the moment, Sapphire thrust his hand into the cold blue mass, which was surprisingly unresisting, and let loose his flames as quickly as possible. The red part of the slime combusted in a flash, sending spatters of blue goo all over the room and apparently ridding the world of one more animated puddle. That seemed to satisfy Soki.

"Okay! Everyone to the door!" he ordered. Realizing that the HUcast had a plan, they obeyed. The absense of other targets allowed the Slimes to focus on Soki, dogging his heels until finally they all reared up together, nearly touching one another. "Now, Sapphire! The biggest fire spell you can get!" Sapphire, concentrating hard, gave off a crimson aura of fire (causing Kupi, the RAmarl, and Derrik to jump backward in surprise) before releasing the pent-up energy by pointing his Wand at the monsters. There was a second's pause before a tiny puff of flames appeared in the center of the Slimes' circle, and then exploded, painting the walls with globs of blue.

"It worked..." sighed Soki, relieved.
    "Ugh..." muttered Sapphire, exhausted.
    "Yuck!" exclaimed Kupi, disgusted.
    "Hnng," grumbled the RAmarl, dirtied.
    "Coooooooool," commented Derrik, thoroughly impressed.

Sapphire downed a Monofluid to alleviate the technique fatigue, and the party continued onward into the chilly depths. The next amjor obstacle came in the form of technology. A circular floor plate was fenced in by several broad beams of blue-colored light in a room that was more green than blue. Right next to it, a cylindrical switch matrix fenced in red light displayed a mark inside that matched a locked door to the group's right as they came in. As usual, the door locked behind them. Sapphire took a quick look around the room, and determined that the situation looked bad.

"Photon fences," Soki explained to Kupi, who was the most definitely inexperienced. "They work on the same concept as the shields we wear, but they have enough energy to work continuously. We need to find some way to get rid of those fences, or we're stuck."

The party went to work. Sapphire tried to determine the chance of removing vital circuitry from the barriers, but they had no notable access point, and things intended to impede one's progress on Coral and now Ragol tended to be made of Laconium-- a material impervious to any and all known forms of damage. That removed the possibility of cutting things open. Soki made a noble attempt at clearing the fences with a running bound, but ultimately the repulsion was too much to get past. The RAmarl, taking an off chance, peered into a nearby recess of water and found nothing. Kupi meandered aimlessly through a patch of grass, and suddenly fell downward by about an inch as the ground descended beneath him, producing a crickita-chunk noise. Kupi, surprised, jumped backward as everyone looked at him.

"Something here moves," the boy noted, and promptly stepped on it again. This time, the RAmarl's line of sight allowed her to make another observation.
    "That brings down the barriers. Hey, you!" she yelled to Sapphire. "Step on that next floor panel." Sapphire, with an inner grumble at being bossed around stepped within the deactivated fences and put his weight on the switch, producing a similar crickita-chunk, and the red barriers went down. Then the Rifle-toter looked at Soki and ordered, "Now take down the lock," which Soki did by waving his hand through the matrix, which caused the previously locked door to open up. At this, Kupi took a step toward it, releasing pressure on the floor plate, and thus causing the blue barriers to return. Sapphire, now trapped, panicked and tried to chase Kupi, which in turn caused the red barriers to reappear around Soki. The RAmarl introduced her face to her palm.
    "Idiot men... get back where you were!" The latter expression was far more audible than the former, and directed at Kupi, who snapped back to his original location. Sapphire, with enough presense of mind to see what he should do, returned to his floor switch and waited until Soki was out of the red fences before he left his switch, and then Kupi stepped off of his switch once Sapphire was free. At that point everyone conviened at the door and Sapphire addressed a question to Soki.

"Okay. The doors locking when monsters are in the room I understand. And mining the hallways seems sensible enough. But what use is it to put a switch that unlocks the next door inside a chain-reaction fence puzzle?!" the FOnewm shouted.
    Soki thought for a long time, and then submitted his analysis: "To give hunters a hard time."

The very next room contained something unusual; a pillar with ornate carvings on it, humming busily. A symbol on the pillar was glowing green, and the whole thing was emitting mist-like vapors that were being whisked upward by some unseen wind flow. Cautiously, the party approached it, Sapphire in the lead. With the sense not to touch it, Sapphire examined the symbols as the others waited with bated breath.
    "It's in some kinda old language," the Force said, rereading the neatly lined incriptions. "Some of the symbols look close to an archaic written language I studied back at the Academy, but it's either coincidential or a spinoff language of some sort. In any case, I can't make out what it's supposed to say. I think we'd better leave it alone for now, but I'll make a note of it." With that, Sapphire took out the typing device and headed for the next doorway out, followed by everyone but Kupi, who stood transfixed at the monument. Soki noticed this just before he stepped through the portal.
    "Kupi? You coming?"
    Kupi looked at him, taken out of the trance. There was a feeling associated with the pillar, but just as Sapphire couldn't discern the runic language, Kupi couldn't figure out what that emotion was. Ultimately, the incident was filed away in a corner of his mind and progress resumed as if nothing had happened.

Sooner than they'd expected, the party found another teleporter to the next deeper floor of the Caves. The area was beginning to show signs of merging with the newly-discovered Mines. The rooms and tunnels were more uniformly cut than their predecessors, showing flat lines and rounded edges in any possible case. Furthermore, a few technological units of little consequence were discovered, but none of them had any ties to teleportation. The last occurence of note was the swarm of giant mantises, which arrived only after an extensive hike through the rocky region.

They came as any other monsters the party had seen thus far; with a small specialized teleport. What surprised the party of adventurers was their number combined with their size. There were six of them, and they were huge. Each one of them was at least twice as tall as Soki, and that was only their vertical part. Another length of body segments ran horizontally parallel to the ground, supporting the weight of the creature by the numerous legs that sprouted from the body segments, two per segment, one on each side. Of far more important note to the party was the giant scythe-arms that the monsters wielded haphazardly from midway up their vertical segment.

They appeared in a circle just after the group under Sapphire's leadership had reached the center of the rectangular room. Slowly but surely, they started closing in. The mantises could move with their legs, but not quickly. Taking the initiative, Soki charged at the Grass Assassin (the name given to the overgrown bugs, as Sapphire discovered later) nearest the far door and, determining in the interval that he got that he wouldn't be able to reach its head, leapt at the beast with one leg extended, collided with it full force, then used the way the creature bent under the kick to push off of it and backflip away. Sapphire hurled a fireball at the Assassin to the left's body, knocking it shuffling backward but not killing it. The Grass Assassin to the first one's right came under attack by two guns, both the RAmarl's and Derrik's. The two showered it with photonic bullets until finally one struck the creature in the middle of its three eyes and it collapsed, dead. Kupi steeled his nerves, then ran for the Assassin that Sapphire had attacked and made an admirable attempt at hitting it with his Rod, but the Assassin had recovered from Sapphire's fireball enough to spew white gunk from its mouth, which covered Kupi and hardened on the spot.

"Go for the eyes!" Soki yelled, and promptly took off to the left to tackle the white glob that Kupi had become and get it out of the way of the Grass Assassin's stab with the point of its scythe arm. Keeping the momentum, Soki rolled back to upright and slashed his photon claw straight through the fourth Grass Assassin's side, not quite far enough to split it. Sapphire's next fireball struck Soki's original Grass Assassin in the head, sufficiently charring it to uselessness as guiding center and thus killing the creature. Derrik and the RAmarl turned their attention to the Grass Assassin approaching from behind, and fired simultaneously. As one might expect, the shots landed simultaneously. Unfortunately, they managed to intersect at a point right before the Assassin's central eye, ricocheted, and struck the Assassin's two side eyes, causing a wail of pain but not a deathcry. Kupi, still stuck in the nasty crud, was powerless to do anything.

At that point the three injured Grass Assassins got angry, reared backward, letting out high shrieks, and charged forward with much greater speed than their legs seemed to be able to allow. That still allowed for greater speed on the part of the adventurers, which was utilized as everyone except Kupi (who was still out of the way from being knocked over) dodged in whatever manner seemed most appropriate at the time. This allowed the Grass Assassins, who had remained perfectly positioned from the start, to crash into each other at the center of the room, creating a grand set of snaps, crunches, and cracks, and three dead insect bodies. This left one Grass Assassin left, which everyone turned upon and loosed whatever ranged attack they were capable of, which resulted in a rather messy bug head and no more Grass Assassins. After that, their attention turned to Kupi.

Nobody had a clue as to what to do to get him out until Soki took the initiative, drew one of his two-handed photon blades and very carefully sliced through the edge of the coccoon, down its length. Seeing no real effect besides an opening, the HUcast wedged his hands in it and tore it apart, finally allowing Kupi enough space to move, not to mention breathe, both of which the diminutive Force did with alacrity. After becoming aware of his reinstated priveleges, Kupi utilized the Aurisan Laundry Trick once more, prompted Sapphire to say, "You'll have to teach me how to do that," while helping Kupi up.

"Everybody ready? Then let's move," commanded Soki, and made for the next door. Behind it was a short hallway, and then a large oblong teleport station situated in a small room that was filled with a red glow produced by several electric lights hanging above. After analyzing the controls and readouts, Soki informed the rest, "It leads to the sewer system. The next entrance to the Mines is about a mile down, and the rafts don't travel fast. Plus..." Soki trailed off emphatically.
    "What's wrong?" prompted Sapphire.
    "See the lights?" asked Soki. "They aren't red like that normally. This area's under an alert."
    "An alert for what?" asked the RAmarl, and then made the necessary logic connection. "A De Rol..."
    "Correct. But they rest most of the time, so if one's in the area then we can't just wait for it to leave. We'll have to take the risk." With that, Soki drew his Yamato blades, stepped into the teleporter, and waited for the rest, who steeled their nerves and accompanied him.

The raft that the party arrived on at the end of the teleport remained motionless for a moment, before it sensed the new pressure and began its job of moving the five riders down the passage that seemed to extend infinitely in either direction, green-tinted water flowing underneath. The raft ran silently as everyone kept watch for any signs of other aquatic activity. Sapphire suddenly gasped, and pointed far behind the raft.
    "Everyone... I... I think we're being pursued..." he stuttered.
    "How can you tell?" asked the RAmarl, not seeing anything.
    "From seeing the rough wave!"

At that moment everyone aboard the raft became aware for a brief moment that they'd just been used to make a rather corny joke. They were unable to dwell on the feeling, however, because at that point the De Rol Le surfaced. True to the rumors, it was a multisegmented worm, with the ability to swim like a water mocassin. It had a purple outside down the length of its body, and a giant boney skull at its front, giving it a gharish look like an insectoid angel of death. Just behind the skull, four tentacles nearly as long at the worm itself whipped backwards.

The worm swam alongside the raft, but with enough distance to keep out of range of Soki's blades. Therefore, the RAmarl, Derrik, and Sapphire pelted it with bullets and fireballs, which either bounced off of the armor plating or split into pieces. Eventually the De Rol increased its speed and centered itself in front of the raft, then lifted its tail and with a "whump" noise fired several spikey missles that embedded themselves into the raft. They had spines, and glowed red intermittenly.

"Get them off!" yelled Soki, immediately rushing over to one, grabbing it by the spines, and hurling it off of the raft. The rest followed suit, but missed one near the rear-right corner of the raft and had just enough time to see it spark before exploding, taking a chunk of the raft with it. That was not a good thing. They did not get the chance to ponder the conseqences of fighting something was taking pieces out of their safety from an untimely watery grave, though, as the worm pulled up alongside the opposite side of the raft. One's of Soki's energy scanners beeped.

"Down!" ordered the HUcast, and prostrated himself while grabbing Kupi and taking the Force with him. Just as Sapphire hit the deck, a wave of purple energy balls flew straight overhead and crashed into the far wall. Sapphire stood just in time to see the worm lunging at the raft and got out of the way with a clumsy backward somersault. The De Rol seemed content to stay latched onto the raft, so Soki finally got the chance to put his blades to good use. Unfortunately, "good use" was ineffective as well. Soki couldn't even chip the thing's armor. And then he saw one of the tentacles twitch, calculated a trajectory, and determined that Kupi needed to be moving faster than he was. The HUcast quickly sheathed the photon blades, charged at Kupi, and pushed him out of the way just as the blade-tipped protrusion fell. Kupi was out of harm's way, but Soki wasn't moving quite fast enough and as a result lost a leg as the tentacle ripped through it.
    "Soki!" yelled Sapphire, with understandable concern.
    "Keep moving!" yelled the HUcast back, obviously not concerned with the development. Even without the leg, Soki was doing a good job of not getting stabbed again. The four tentacles jabbed again and again at the raft, picking different targets each time. Sapphire took a miniature hop backwards, evading one strike, only to have to dive forward again to duck the next. Meanwhile, the RAmarl was busy tugging Derrik around by the arm to keep him out of the way, and Kupi discovered that the tendrils wouldn't try to get him if he hid close to the the De Rol's skull helmet. Abruptly, the jabs and stabs ceased. After a moment's pause, the De Rol jerked its head backward, taking another chunk of the raft with it and causing Kupi to momentarily defy gravity. The De Rol sloshed into the water and vanished. There was a long period of no activity.

"...did it give up?" asked Sapphire, while inspecting the quarter of a leg that Soki had remaining.
    "No... it's approaching fast. On the ceiling!" yelled Soki, who was scanning the area behind the raft.

Everyone looked up as a scratching noise began. Sure enough, the De Rol was crawling its way up the ceiling at an incredible pace, latching onto different chunks of rock and pulling them out as it dove forward. Soki was the first to realize what this would accomplish when the worm passed overhead, but didn't get the time to vocalize it. When the De Rol caught up with the raft, the stones it was pulling out dropped straight down onto the raft. The RAmarl had already taken Derrik to the corner of the raft, where it was relatively safe. But Soki and Sapphire were right in the center of the raft, and Soki was unable to move right as a stone dropped above them. In a flash of quick thinking, Kupi loosed a Foie blast and immediately felt the consequences. However, the rock had not hit Sapphire and Soki. It was just a bunch of smaller rocks that hit them, one of which struck Sapphire across the top of the head and knocked him unconscious.

Then the lights went out.

The De Rol had apparently knocked out a piece of the lighting circuit in its ceiling travels. The emergency lights came on, painting everything in an erie orange glow. Meanwhile, the De Rol surfaced again, in front of the raft, and made its way around and to the back of the raft. For a while it kept itself at the same speed of the raft, and then reared up out of the water, using its back parts to keep a steady velocity. Its mouth opened slowly, and with a sound like wind rushing in, gathered blue energies in the maw. The next attack was going to be big, and nobody could do a thing about it. The rushing wind noise stopped, and the De Rol pulled back to fire...

Then, the air at the back of the raft distorted, wrapping around itself to allow a new entrant. Her head was covered by a black hood, connected in turn to a cloth that covered her entire body save her ears. The mask she wore and the weapon she held were the same as the ones that the mysterious fighter from the Dragon battle had had. The De Rol, too far along in its attack to stop, released one giant energy beam that looked like it was going to tear the raft apart. But as the FOnewearl raised her weapon against it, the beam split in two and ricocheted toward the walls. The De Rol repeated its ray, and the FOnewearl deflected it with the cane again. Losing steam, the De Rol's beam blazed once more, this time it was sucked into the weapon in its entirity. The strange Force whirled around and hurled the blue energy back toward the worm, striking it in the bone helmet and shattering it, revealing the face of the De Rol. Then she switched stances to place her off hand forward and fire a purple energy ball that struck the worm in the face, causing it to vomit up a stream of green blood and fall, twitching, into the water. It also brought Kupi, screaming in pain, to the ground. Her work done, the magician once again disappeared with nary a look toward the other people on the raft.

The raft slowly came to a stop at the entrance to the Mines several minutes later. Once she'd roused Sapphire from his unconsciousness, the RAmarl explained what had happened to Sapphire as Derrik, understandably scared silly, tended to Kupi. Once everyone had established what would have to be accepted as "fine" status for everyone else, the party dismounted the raft and located a teleport back to Pioneer 2 quickly and without incident. Finally back on the streets, Sapphire addressed the RAmarl.

"It's time to get Derrik back home," he said with utmost certainty.
    "Obviously," snapped the RAmarl.
    "I shall return home g... gladly," panted the boy. After seeing what really laid out in the world, the comfort of home looked extremely appealing, despite his parents. Still, Sapphire insisted on returning him home, and the reception was excellent. Even better after Derrik told his parents what had happened. The reward money was split 50/50 between Sapphire's party and the RAmarl, which suited everyone just fine. Just before they parted ways, Sapphire extended an invitation to the RAmarl.
    "You know, you fight pretty well, and we can always use another hunting partner. Would you like to come back to my house for dinner, and we can talk--"
    A look of pure horror flashed through the RAmarl's eyes before she shouted, "No!!" cutting him off, with an inexplicable tinge of terror in her voice. She then turned and ran off. Sapphire blinked.
    "Strange girl... hey?" the FOnewm knelt and picked something up.
    "What's that?" asked Kupi.
    Sapphire inspected it. "It's a Guild Card. She must have dropped it."
    "What's a Guild Card do?" wondered Kupi aloud, prompting this chapter's technical explanation.
    "It's basically any information you've already given to the Hunter's Guild, plus a little extra. It includes the name, profession, classification, and personal comments from a hunter. It also allows location tracking and use of the Simple Mail system, so you can talk to your friends from afar. We could find out a lot about her with this if we wanted to..." Sapphire trailed off, and then diverted the attention of his comrades. "In any case, let's get home and get some rest, right?"

With that, Sapphire started off, leaving Kupi to shrug at Soki and follow. In turn, Soki hopped on one foot in pursuit, gripping the other leg in one of his hands, which drew weird looks.

---

Wheee. Chapter six ought not take as long to get out, but with the way I work on this, who knows? I hope you enjoyed this, and I'll see y'all later. Comments appreciated, as usual.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kupi on 2003-06-14 19:11 ]</font>