I just thought about this and I just can't figure out why private servers are regarded as illegal. Or IF they are actually "illegal."

What I mean by that second part is, is "illegal" the correct term to be used, or is it meant in a way of "unsupported" or "not endorsed by SEGA," not so much a literal, in-the-court-of-law type of illegal?

For that matter, illegal by which countries laws?

From SEGA's EULA/ToS from PSO:
    "(b) Without a separate, additional License, use the Program, or permit use of the Program, in a network, multi-user arrangement, or remote access arrangement, including any online use, except as otherwise explicitly permitted by SEGA in writing;"
    It's a clause in the contract that you agree to when you buy/play the game. Violation of any contract, even one issued by a game company can be considered illegal.

So unless these private servers get some written consent, it's illegal.

Clause "h" may also be applicable: "(h) Create data or executable programs that mimic data or functionality in the Program." Since the private servers are basically mimicking the data/functionality of the official servers.

PSOBB EULA

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2008-02-13 07:45 ]</font>

Ah, so I see.

How interesting.

Reverse-engineering someone else's patented, licensed software without permission is illegal and especially immoral when the reverse-engineered version is providing unwelcome competition to the licensed/released version.

for example the quests, they were simply "copy/paste" they never did any of them, they belong to sega, if a private server has them then it's illegal.

It's illegal because Sega is not making any money from it.

The same reason Marijuana is Illegal. The government can not tax it and Pharmacutical Corporations would loose their monopoly

On 2008-02-24 13:54, Indica wrote:

The same reason Marijuana is Illegal. The government can not tax it and Pharmacutical Corporations would loose their monopoly
    Actually... marijuana was made illegal out of racism.
    Coming Soon!

Internet Hate Machine

That's retarded. If the company wash their hands of that game I say it's up for grabs and go for it.

Oh well. If they wanted us to use it, they would let us, but since they want us to play PSU so they make money, they wont just give us a game they WONT profit on. THAT would be retarted, along with your post. Stop whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by loukaras View Post
    PSO-World is a game?

On 2008-02-24 18:41, Randomness wrote:
    On 2008-02-24 13:54, Indica wrote:

Actually... marijuana was made illegal out of racism.
    Actually... I live in California, where you can buy marijuana out of a vending machine.