Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I won't even get out of bed for anything under a 4.0. A 5.4 on the other hand is a nice little tremble, can't blame you guys for getting shook up.

I'm just north of Saint Louis, MO, and I slept through the entire thing. However I did feel the tremor at around 10:15am CT, though it was very slight and lasted a few brief seconds. Some people couldn't even feel it, they just noticed things like every table wobbling and such. At first I just though somebody had their chair backed up to mine and was tapping their foot and I was feeling that, but there was no one there. So I was like, "oh, tremor, cool" shrugged and went back to reading my book.

Yeah, the 10:15 (11:15 here) aftershock woke me up. I heard we might be getting minor trembles like that for the rest of the day, possibly into tomorrow.

On 2008-04-18 11:39, SylviaEspada wrote:
    You guys should come to California, earthquakes are part of life
    Midwest Earthquakes and Pacific Earthquakes have one important difference. If L.A. gets a 5.4, you don't feel it in Bellview Washington. There were reports of people getting woken up in Ontario Canada over this one. Decently sized Earthquakes along the New Madrid have been known to cause damage up to Boston and even further, and if a really big one hit (a 9.0, like the one in Alaska for example) could cause unprescidented damage - not in a localized area, but throughout the entire midwest and even the east coast.

Especially when you consider that out here, nobody really expects Earthquakes - so insurance for them is rarely taken, nor are houses/buildings often constructed with Earthquake stresses in mind.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-04-18 15:27 ]</font>

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

While I was asleep during it, apparently my father was awakened by it. We're south of Dayton, Ohio, by the by. So, yeah, quakes hitting New Madrid are rarely good and I can only hope to never see that fault slip more than a 6 because that would be pretty massive devastation.

Rolla, MO. Didn't feel a thing (was asleep). It wasn't actually the New Madrid itself (which runs through southeasternmost Missouri / northeasternmost Arkansas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Fault, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_1...est_earthquake), it was the Wabash fault. Were it the actual New Madrid, according to my roommate (who's in Mining/Geological Engineering), it would likely have been of much higher magnitude, and with all the old brick buildings around here, much of the campus (including my dorm room) would likely have been wasted. Didn't feel the aftershock, either (then again, I was in class, and we were just reviewing for a test, so I was bored to the point where I may have been partially asleep...).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-04-18 20:15 ]</font>

Detroit, MI and I didn't notice anything last night, though I have to admit I'm a heavy sleeper...