Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

fyi, I go to Virginia Tech. I support people being able to carry concealed weapons on campus. And I feel video games had nothing to do with it etc etc

I would still blame the parents. Clearly they did not know their child if they bought him an M rated game and he went and shot up a school.

My point about restricting things is that all the things you mention are HARMFUL, to yourself even. They're often not only protecting other people, but protecting you from yourself. Playing a game in and of itself does no harm. Guns are intended to harm people, and therefore are only meant to be given to those who will use it to protect... but then again it still isn't 100% effective. Should we just ban guns then? No, that's just as stupid. The drinking age should be lowered. People can vote and serve in the military and die at 18, but can't have a drink... that's absurd.

Anyways... I do thinking punishing the many for the acts of a few is absurd. And restricting things DOES NOT STOP things. Kids still sneak into rated R movies. I know I did when I was younger. And there were times when my parents knew I was going to and didn't care. Parents should be responsible for any actions their kids make. Yes, a shitty parent can have an affect on your kid. But a good parent can overcome this as well. Granted there are extremes... but c'mon. You CAN'T live in fear everyday of what someone MIGHT do. There are deadly car accidents everyday... should you stop driving, or better yet ban people from driving altogether. "But oh, the driving age is 16." Yeah well there are tons of accidents and apparently at 25 you magically become a better driver and get a huge discount on insurance. Maybe the driving age should be 25.

Yes kids will say they're mature enough for said things, but it should be the parents judgment whether or not they are. Not every kid matures the same way... not even close.(I get my info on crime rates from the likes of the FBI website.)

All I'm saying is, where do you draw the line? You do that, it'll turn into what kids do to get beer. Send in someone old enough to get it, wait outside. Parents will go without kids, store clerk sees them alone, no problem. You're not going to stop it, and you're just going to make the kids want the games more by restricting it more, meaning they'll find different ways to get it. The internet is anonymous... parents credit cards etc.

THE JACKEL

Once & forever Protranser Gunslinger-08's Avatar

On 2008-05-12 17:33, Zedlen wrote:
    Hmm, from what I have read, I have concluded that both the kids and the parents need a good old-fashioned spanking
    It works. Period. It's how I was raised, and I'm glad for it.

Ship 2 - Gatz

I find the issue of parents pointing the figure at everything except themselves infuriating. I myself turned 14 a few weeks ago, but I've been M rated games for years now.

I wonder though, why would you bar any one under the age from playing them? If you don't suck as a parent, you should know if your child is mature enough to play said games.

On 2008-05-17 23:42, Shiba1227 wrote:

I wonder though, why would you bar any one under the age from playing them? If you don't suck as a parent, you should know if your child is mature enough to play said games.
    Because children are fucking annoying.
    True story.
    SUPER WIZARD EMPEROR

Absolutely, positively the MOST unlucky person!!! Raine_Loire's Avatar

On 2008-05-17 23:42, Shiba1227 wrote:
    I find the issue of parents pointing the figure at everything except themselves infuriating. I myself turned 14 a few weeks ago, but I've been M rated games for years now.

If you don't suck as a parent you know that no one under a certain age is mature enough to play said games. If you don't suck as a parent you aren't afraid to make "unpopular decisions" even if your kids scream that they hate you. If you don't suck as a parent you know that EVERY KID in the history of the world has thought they were mature enough for something they weren't old enough for.

Guardian of Light - Jesus Freak

I had DOOM when I was like, eight. Thing is, I'm mature and stuff and don't act like an obnoxious child on servers. I did just fine with M-Rated games when I was young, and I'm still respectful and not foul-mouthed like half the kids are these days on the servers.

On 2008-05-12 17:33, Zedlen wrote:
    Hmm, from what I have read, I have concluded that both the kids and the parents need a good old-fashioned spanking

On 2008-05-18 10:50, Raine_Loire wrote:

If you don't suck as a parent you know that no one under a certain age is mature enough to play said games. If you don't suck as a parent you aren't afraid to make "unpopular decisions" even if your kids scream that they hate you. If you don't suck as a parent you know that EVERY KID in the history of the world has thought they were mature enough for something they weren't old enough for.
    You're alright.
    SUPER WIZARD EMPEROR

On 2008-05-18 16:54, Uncle_bob wrote:
    On 2008-05-18 10:50, Raine_Loire wrote:

You're alright.
    except there is NOT a clear age. Anyone under 10 shouldn't play an M rated game, that's clear. But I've met 13/14 year olds who were more mature than 18 year olds. It DOES happen. Ages are not exact. I mean it use to be people were married and having kids at 16. So to say someone can't be mature enough for an M rated game before age 18 is just absurd.

People do not develop identically, ages are really guidelines for things like movies and games. For things like alcohol and cigarettes and driving, it's for liability purposes. No physical harm can come just from seeing a movie or playing a game.

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-05-18 17:11 ]</font>

Jackal, no harm intended, but you're MISSING THE FUCKING POINT. My point and Raine's.

These laws exist for a reason, despite the fact that they're hardly enforced. Little Timmy simply has no fucking business having 18+ rated material. For one, he's probably simply not old enough for the content. Secondly, when it comes to online games...see my original post. I want all these whiny 12 year olds off my fucking Gmod and TF2. I have the law backing me up on this.
    SUPER WIZARD EMPEROR