Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitting Women

Who is this guy again? Shadowpawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tessu View Post
    I really don't know why guys freak out so much about hitting women. What, you like the feminist type?

To be honest, I could never hit a guy hard enough to really hurt him, not because of morals but because of utter lack of physical strength. But if I did in a hypothetical situation and he hit me back, I'm not gonna go BAWWWWing about how I was justified and he wasn't because of our chromosomes.
    HOWEVER, it is a bit unfair if a woman hits a man and he brushes it off but hits her back and seriously hurts her. That's not cool regardless of gender, though.

I actually have a little friend in 7th grade (now 8th). He's like, 4'9, well under 100 pounds. He's puny. On the other hand, his sister is going into college, around 5'10, and bigger and more muscular than him. According to him, she beats him up all the time at home, and whenever he tries to defend himself (in whatever way he can) his dad yells at him because he's not supposed to hit girls.
    WTF, man?
    Yeah, that's kinda messed up. He's going to remember that when he grows up, trust me. She'll get it back in due time.

I was always wondering if this topic was ever going to come up...

Anyway, I could pretty much NEVER bring myself to hitting a girl or woman (except for my smart-ass 13-year-old sister when she pisses me off the right way...), being that I basically have taken a "vow" to never hit women, and I was also raised this way. I respect girls and women too much to bring myself to such a low state, and if I did, I would probably have to do some serious self-discipline to make up for it...

To tell the real truth, I would probably end up killing any guy that I see with my own eyes hitting a women, and if I don't get the kill, he won't be moving for a very long time...

Now I am not trying to come off as a badass in anyway possible, it's just that any guy who lowers himself to hit a woman, then I loathe you, even if I don't know who you are.

Now, I am pretty much not a feminist in anyway, it's just that hitting a woman is a taboo to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Typheros View Post
    The idea that men shouldn't hit women developed from the idea that women are harmless and are incapable of holding their own in a fight, ever. So isn't the entire idea rather insulting?
    I disagree. Well, it's not cool to hit anyone that's not on the same level as you, and (typically) women just aren't as strong as men due to the way they're built. I suppose it'd be okay to hit a women that can kick your ass as in fighting games, but I don't think it's sexist or anything to say you won't hit women, given women being weaker than men (typically) is just how it is. Typically.

PSO2: Kylie.HUnewearl.Sh02

Quote Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
    I disagree. Well, it's not cool to hit anyone that's not on the same level as you, and (typically) women just aren't as strong as men due to the way they're built. I suppose it'd be okay to hit a women that can kick your ass as in fighting games, but I don't think it's sexist or anything to say you won't hit women, given women being weaker than men (typically) is just how it is. Typically.
    The general idea there being that there's no need to resort to physical violence if there isn't any threat to yourself physically. I just think when people start focusing on the sex factor and not graduating their thinking to a more important idea (see 1st sentence), then IMO they're failing to truly respect the idea of equality.

"Say, I must be crazy walking out in these woods alone at night with a horrible mutilation practically around the corner." - Ranger Brad

I think there's a difference between being treated equally on a level where you can do things just as well or better (like a woman being a doctor, or lawyer, etc.) and being treated equally on a natural level, where a woman has to be pretty delusional if she thinks she's equal in that department (for one, women don't have penises , and also the whole muscle capacity thing). 'Tis why women aren't on the draft and should never be on the draft (if it were to be used).

Maybe it is wrong to talk in terms of gender, but it isn't quite the same as race. Women are way different from men than a white man is different from a black man (again, the penis thing ).

Therefore, I don't think it's wrong at all, and I doubt men are intending to discriminate as much as they are trying to be respectful when they say things like that, which are only meant generally anyways. And women being weaker than men (again, apply the t-word here) is factual enough not to just be a stereotype unlike all black people liking fried chicken and watermelon, which is a better example of a wrongful stereotype.

Although, maybe it'd be best to say you won't hit anyone on a lower level than you, and not just women. I don't think it does any harm though (for the various reasons I just stated).
    Last edited by Kylie; Jun 23, 2008 at 11:59 AM.

Pfft women aren't on the draft because they *BLOCKED FOR OFFENSIVE CONTENT*

"Say, I must be crazy walking out in these woods alone at night with a horrible mutilation practically around the corner." - Ranger Brad

I too believe in the equality of the sexes.
    A women has the right to get hit back just as a man would if he hit someone.

I too agree that it's better to just walk away in a situation like that regaurdless of whom the other person is.

You can take the "women are generally weaker than men" route, and it is certainly true that, scientifically speaking, men are more prone to be more muscular than women. It's also true that this really isn't a sexist viewpoint, considering this isn't saying "don't hit women for the sake of them being women." The only problem here is, it's also saying "don't hit anyone weaker than you, period." And there's merit there, it's not like an adult male should be beating up on a male child. I can understand that viewpoint, it's just some people look at it in a purely sexist light and think women shouldn't be hit because they're "lowly women".

I dunno, I just dislike patriarchal sayings like that in an age where we are striving for racial and sexual equality. If we truly want equality, all sexes and races should be treated equal, period. It's still biased equality otherwise.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I guess I just think there are bigger battles to be fought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
    Ah, I see what you're saying. I guess I just think there are bigger battles to be fought.
    No doubt.