Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zantra View Post
    Monopoly only works as a game.
    ... unless you're Microsoft, or an oil company, or soon to be Google
    Last edited by Tomeeboy; Jun 26, 2008 at 04:45 PM.

Well, monopolies may work for Microsoft, but PSOW isn't exactly made of money here so let's not put all our eggs in one basket. I think an official affiliation is a great idea, considering the two sites already share information.

And hey, competition is good.

Like I'm telling anyone my real info, hahaha!

Um... why? Merging them does not seem to have any benfit I could think of that would out-weight the costs.

PSUpedia allows anyone to add information or change pages. So the way the database works new information can be easily added and changed. PSOW is managed by administrators so any information has to be PM'd to a small number of individuals for them to use it. PSUpedia can be updated by the community as a whole, while PSOW enjoys a very structured clean looking database. So keeping them separate is advantages as is. I'm pretty sure the same people contribute to both as anyone whose into the game enough to add to PSUpedia is aware of PSOW if not a frequenter of it.

The only beneficial changes i can imagine is in addition to the sticky to helpful user submitted game play and guides section to have a specific format for walkthroughs for story and party missions to have as a link on the left bar. So having a single page for her secret mission eggs thieves, events, ect. with challenge mode style maps and explanations would be pretty cool. The sticky is helpful, but there's a lot to sift through in those. The other thing would be rare enemy spawns to PSOW.

Spoiler!

Monopoly only works as a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomeeboy View Post
    Well, Google may seem to be encroaching on a monopoly, but no one's as up in arms over them as they are with Microsoft or oil companies because so far, Google has lived up to it "don't be evil" mantra.

As proof as how a monopoly can work, I bring up the GPL and XFree86. There was a debacle that came up a view years ago, where XFree86 wanted to add extra accreditation clauses that the current GPL did not allow. The GPL folks took all the code from XFree86 prior to XFree86 changing their license, and released a fork called x.org.

XFree86 was a monopoly. Not in the fact that they snuffed out competition, but because everyone agreed to help with one project. When the project turned sour, the GPL provided the escape route.

IF PSO-World and PSUPedia joined AND they adopted a usage license that allowed something similar (like Creative Commons, I'm sure they're tons of other pre-defined licenses that apply), then you don't have to worry about PSO-World/PSUPedia "becoming evil." You can tell them to f--- right off and create your own site.

Heck, with said license, even if the merger is nowhere near evil, you can still tell them to FRO. Maybe you don't like the extra clutter of having an all-in-one site like PSO-World. Maybe you like PSO-World's admin-controlled structure but would like to have the more ad-hoc management of PSUPedia's wiki format. Maybe you want to simply set up a mirror to prevent loss-of-access due to site outages.

Progress is made when we build off of each other's ideas. Which has been done. Which doesn't have to stop because PSO-World and PSUPedia decided to make a baby.
    I'm Guy, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomeeboy View Post
    Don't forget Comcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainwrecked View Post
    Well, Google may seem to be encroaching on a monopoly, but no one's as up in arms over them as they are with Microsoft or oil companies because so far, Google has lived up to it "don't be evil" mantra.

As proof as how a monopoly can work, I bring up the GPL and XFree86. There was a debacle that came up a view years ago, where XFree86 wanted to add extra accreditation clauses that the current GPL did not allow. The GPL folks took all the code from XFree86 prior to XFree86 changing their license, and released a fork called x.org.

XFree86 was a monopoly. Not in the fact that they snuffed out competition, but because everyone agreed to help with one project. When the project turned sour, the GPL provided the escape route.

IF PSO-World and PSUPedia joined AND they adopted a usage license that allowed something similar (like Creative Commons, I'm sure they're tons of other pre-defined licenses that apply), then you don't have to worry about PSO-World/PSUPedia "becoming evil." You can tell them to f--- right off and create your own site.

Heck, with said license, even if the merger is nowhere near evil, you can still tell them to FRO. Maybe you don't like the extra clutter of having an all-in-one site like PSO-World. Maybe you like PSO-World's admin-controlled structure but would like to have the more ad-hoc management of PSUPedia's wiki format. Maybe you want to simply set up a mirror to prevent loss-of-access due to site outages.

Progress is made when we build off of each other's ideas. Which has been done. Which doesn't have to stop because PSO-World and PSUPedia decided to make a baby.
    Why can't you just use both pages? Are you really so lazy that you can only fathom going to one page? What if the entire internet was just a single webpage? Don't you think that would be boring? What if Pso was the only Mmo? Wouldn't you crave another experience?
    This is why monopolies don't work. Not everyone wants/has the same things/interests. I like to go to several different gaming sites. Why? Because, they each have something unique and interesting to offer me.
    If we let everything get monopolized like the Madden series of football games, then we lose our freedom of choice. And, I don't want to live in a world where I have no choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainwrecked View Post
    Is their political grounds?
    Haha, oh wow. I'm not even going to touch this one.

But no, there's really no need for it. The information here is very good, as is the information on PSUPedia. There are pragmatic reasons why they couldn't be merged (wiki vs. database), and the staff of the two sites have some very different opinions when it comes to things like how to moderate a forum and such, so it would never work.

But I will admit that the site factionalism some people endorse is stupid.

The database system setup here is far beyond the scope of PSUPedia and is more than good enough to justify the existence of both sites individually.

Although Hrith's statement above (re: bans) was incorrect, both sites also have different management philosophies that are bound to butt heads sooner rather than later.

Why can't you just use both pages?
    I do.

Are you really so lazy that you can only fathom going to one page?
    You've run out of ways to make counterpoints, so now you troll?

What if the entire internet was just a single webpage?
    Hyperbole. Dismissed.

Don't you think that would be boring?
    No, and you obviously you missed my point on what could be done.

What if Pso was the only Mmo?
    Genre officially dead thanks to Sega.

Wouldn't you crave another experience?
    Not another PSU one, but that a whole different topic.

This is why monopolies don't work.
    Even though the XFree86 example lasted for over 10 years? And no irreparable harm came? Heck, the X Window System didn't skip a beat.

Not everyone wants/has the same things/interests. I like to go to several different gaming sites. Why? Because, they each have something unique and interesting to offer me.
    Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. But don't you see the waste in two groups of people working to come up with what is basically the same information? There are still ways to differentiate yourself. See: Ubuntu Linux, Suse Linux, Red Hat Linux, Gentoo Linux, Damn Small Linux, Knoppix, Linspire. See: Dell, HP, Gateway, IBM, Acer, Asus, myriad small/local PC outlets. See: Just about every company that makes a business selling a product (or service for a product) that follows a baseline standard.

If we let everything get monopolized like the Madden series of football games, then we lose our freedom of choice. And, I don't want to live in a world where I have no choices.
    Problem with most of the monopoly arguments I've seen thus far is that they all involve money. Microsoft's motivating factor: money. Oil companies' motivating factor: money. EA's motivating factor: money. NFL's motivating factor: money.

PSO-World's motivating factor: Provide a great community and excellent resource for fans of the Phantasy Star series of video games. PSUPedia's motivating factor: Provide a great community and excellent resource for fans of Phantasy Star Universe.

Wait, something's different there.

But in closing, this isn't a thread to hold my ideals on a pedastal and degrade everyone that doesn't want to follow them. This is a thread for discussion and thought. Points are brought up, counterpoints are brought up, and sometimes counterpoints to the counterpoints. Discussion like this should go "Why not...here's why...well then...but then...ok, but...no, see..." Not, "you lazy," which eventually degrades into "f--- you...suck it...your mom...tits or gtfo...mod lock."
    Last edited by Brainwrecked; Jun 27, 2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Found my stray copypasta! I wondered where that went!
    I'm Guy, so what?