Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Konjou View Post
    I guess today when I get off work I will make another attempt and see if I can find someone with a better ping to see if that helps the game run smoother. If anyone wants to give it a shot with me then i'll be on Kai around 10PM Eastern time in the PSP --> Other section. My Kai name is Rodnutz. Yup same Rodnutz from PS2/PC version of PSU.

Please make sure you are a frequent Kai user and you are able to join other games such as monster hunter 2, etc. I will be tired after a long days work, so I really won't be in the mood to spend hours trying to help people configure Kai to get connected. I will only get frustrated. However I am off on Saturday and I will be nice and rested so if people need help at that point then I am will to lend a hand.
    I'll try to catch you then. I'm Findel on KAI so I'll see if anybody is up for a little PSU hookup. I tested my Xlink Kai today with Monster Hunter 2 Freedom, so hopefully it wont be too hard to connect with PSU. The game performs quite beautifully on the PSP. I kind of expected Arc Systems to easily 1 up SEGA for game performance. They didn't just prove it right, but with flying colors. Of course, the resolution isn't as high, but they made it look easy.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Jul 14, 2008 at 08:21 PM.

I've been on this game, but in Kai nobody is there that knows how to get connected to a host. I pick the host option, but where are you supposed to go to in order for people to actually see a host to join? Can't seem to find how to get the game to even show that SSID I'm supposed to give people.

Is anyone on Kai right now? I went into the XBOX room but I didnt see anyone. There was this room with a password though...If anyone is online, I made a room called "Phantasy Star Portable" in the PSP>other>test arena.

I'm in the actual Phantasy Star Portable Xlink Lobby in the PSP section.

Oh, there actually is an arena?! I didn't know that...wanna do a quick run? My name's Ruuki in-game.

I was trying to set it up, but I tell you. This game is the most fustrating experience just trying to get anybody to even show up in the lobby, much less the SSID thing. I wish I could figure out what voodoo I have to perform to get a Host and a Guest to actually SEE each other.

I know for a fact that my PSP is connecting and everything, but unlike MHF2, whatever code they have to detect players is the worst.

I can't imagine what you are doing wrong, I wouldn't know because I don't have X-Link Kai running myself, since my USB Dongle isn't here.

But I can see if you are doing the right things. :|!

Multimode, turn on your WLAN. Make sure your PSP is connected. Now Chill out for a second.

ARE YOU TRYING TO CONNECT TO OTHERS, OR HOST YOUR OWN?

If you are trying to connect to others, then press the second option.

If you are trying to host, press the first option.

Chill out till it loads. It may take a while with X-Link.

IF YOU ARE HOSTING, CHILL OUT TILL YOUR MEMBERS ARE ALL ACCOUNTED FOR.

First option is begin with players at hand. If you click this while solo, it will prompt you with "Are you sure you want to play MultiMode with only one person, yourself?"

well, basically.

I don't really think that is the problem, but hey, I could be right. ¬_¬

Also, you could post in the X-Link Kai forums about this.

I actually understood this part as I can read that text. However, doing that and actually seeing each other is a different case, altogether. Doing the same things over and over again, we were able to see each other exactly once the whole time, and then that one time we failed to get the SSIDs in on time before the kick. After that, we never could find each other again.

Actually, big question:

What are you using to connect? Routers/Wireless Adapters seem to not have the ability to connect to WiFi USB Dongles (Datel's WiFi MAX and of the such).

Might be the problem.

I'm using the same exact hardware used to connect to Monster Hunter Freedom 2.

On the other hand, I've messed around a bit this morning and had a lot better luck connecting to various people on the PSP Xlink Kai.

Seems like the main source of the problem is that you need to have the latest BETA of the xlink client to have better luck with connections. I saw various hosts opening up for me to join and I tried a few.

The only problem was that the people I was connecting to, had a few problems of their own and thus when it came time for us to start a mission, somebody else's friend drops out and we have to start over.

However, I seem to consistantly not only connect, but have a good process of staying connected in the lobby after the host reports their SSID change. It's good to have the Zy Tool open the whole time, so you can quickly reassign the SSID once the host connects.

It's usally a step process for those who have already set up their Xlink Kai the usual way.

For Both Host and Guest:

Step 1: make sure your USB Dongle or Wifi that you are connecting your PSP to is ready.

Step 2: Fire up the Xlink Kai program and connect in. Then you go to Arena.
    PSP -> Action -> Phantasy Star Portable.

You'll be in the main lobby and during high times, you'll see sub-lobbies to connect to.

Step 3: Turn on your PSP and make sure your Network Settings Adhoc Connection is transmitting on Channel 11. Not sure why, but it seems most Phantasy Star Portable players are on that channel. (Not to mention, the japanese connect instructions seem to advertise channel 11 as their channel).

Step 4: Fire up the Phantasy Star Portable in the PSP. Make a character if you haven't (select one if you have one) and then pick the Multiplayer mode.

There are three options.
    1. Host a Multiplayer Game Adhoc.
    2. Join a Multiplayer Game Adhoc.
    3. Back to Title Screen.

Now this instruction splits between Host and Guest.

For the Host:

1. Pick option 1, your PSP will now be transmitting data which will actually send an SSID. This should be detectable by your AdHoc connection on your PC.

1. Then open up the Tool for which you select what your Datel connects to. A lot of Datel WiFi max users will be using the Zydas Tool. You should always keep this tool open since you'll need to come back to this later.

3. Use the Refresh button to refresh networks to connect to, when you see your PSP show up, select that and pick connect. You are now broadcasting your character name to whoever is in the same Lobby (or subLobby) as you.

4. Don't pick the next option you see here until you have the people join you, if you do, it'll prompt you with a message saying "You want to start a multiplayer session with only 1 player?" with a box for Yes and No.

So you wait for joiners and when satisfied, then you proceed. But you aren't done yet.

For the Guest:

1. Pick option 2, your PSP will now be transmitting data which will actually send an SSID. This should be detectable by your AdHoc connection on your PC.

2. Then open up the Tool for which you select what your Datel connects to. A lot of Datel WiFi max users will be using the Zydas Tool. You should always keep this tool open since you'll need to come back to this later.

3. Use the Refresh button to refresh networks to connect to, when you see your PSP show up, select that and pick connect. You are now searching for whoever is in the same Lobby (or subLobby) as you. You can actually leave your PSP in this state and use the Xlink Kai to move around Arena lobbies. With a little delay, you'll see names update here as you move around. Take note, if you only see the option that isn't a name, it's telling you that there are no leaders available at this time. That means you haven't found a host ready to start a game yet.

4. Anyway, a host character name will appear, or multiples if multiple hosts are broadcasting in the lobby. Pick one. You'll see a list of characters already joined in the session, or just the host if you're the first guest. Select that to join in.

5. Congrats, you should see your bottom left statistics join in with other players like the bottom left HUD shows in PSU.

Once you're here, this is what the Host and the Guest need to do.

1. The Host will continue and start a game with all current connected players. The host should immediately go back to the Tool I told you to keep open earlier. Do a Rescan for the available networks and pick their PSP again. Whoah! You're SSID changed. Yep. PSU takes your standard SSID and postpends some extra random characters behind it. So quickly act like you're going to change your SSID, but don't save the changes. You just want to cut and paste this new SSID to the forum.

2. The Guests will see the game start to connect with a (Connection 11) message. It's basically getting ready to load the other players in and do all that connection stuff, but there's another step. So go back to the Lobby in Xlink Kai and look for the Host to post their new SSID. When you see that, go back to Tool I told you to keep open earlier and change your SSID of your PSP connection to the same one the Host just posted to the forum. Cut and Paste works here. When you hit the Apply Button, the game should be satisfied and you'll join the leader in the Lobby (Parum for example).

If you did this right, you'll be perfectly connected and ready to proceed. The rest of the way to start a mission is performed precisely like PSU.