Angry Ubuntu 8.04 Upgrade Fails...RRRAAAAAAAAAGGGEEE!

My frickin' God.

The upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 went so smoothly. For once I was lulled into thinking the Linux side of the computing world had something over Windows. No longer would I have to wipe out my existing installation to upgrade to the latest greatest version.

BUT NO!

Right there...installing locales...AU-UTF8...stuck...from whenever it got there during the last White Beast run of the night to the time that I completely blew 6 under par by hole 16 in Golf: Tee Up. And the very first Google result for Ubuntu 8.04 failed upgrade comes up with a user on the Ubuntu forums that had the exact same problem.

CTRL+ALT+F1....fuck! Alternate text terminals aren't working!
    CTRL+BACKSPACE...fuck! The resolution is defaulting to 640x480.
    LOGIN...fuck! It's stuck!
    REBOOT...fuck! No detection of a failed upgrade.
    REBOOT...fuck! It started booting Ubuntu before I could get the CD I needed.
    REBOOT...fuck! This is the 32-bit version that I installed on the laptop. I want the 64-bit version.
    REBOOT...fuck! I hate keeping Pidgin up-to-date in Windows. And who is this tard requesting buddy authorization on Live Messenger? And why does LightScribe want to run an installation routine on every fuckin' Windows account every fuckin' time I start Nero? And why is Nero still bugging me with Incredible Offers!!!!

RRRAAAAAA....

Oh forget it.
    I'm Guy, so what?

Dude, you're talking about Linux. The producers of these operating systems are working under the assumption that you know precisely what you're doing. The appeal of the design is the sheer power available-- not the user friendliness. If you're looking for something that's user friendly, try Windows or OSX.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

*hugs* I tried to install Linux on my PS3 and finally got it to work (but hated it) and took it off Took forever.

PSO2: Kylie.HUnewearl.Sh02

First, to finish the bitching once and for all.

BURN THE ISO...fuck! There's circular scratches on the CD-RW disc, corrupting the data, and I already had Ubuntu 8.04 on DVD+RW disc.
    RE-ADD USERS...fuck! Why does the GUI interface have a problem with existing /home directories when the command-line utility adduser has absolutely no problem?

Quote Originally Posted by HUnewearl_Meira View Post
    Dude, you're talking about Linux. The producers of these operating systems are working under the assumption that you know precisely what you're doing. The appeal of the design is the sheer power available-- not the user friendliness. If you're looking for something that's user friendly, try Windows or OSX.
    Ah, but you don't know that I've been using Linux for years, since Suse 9.3. I've been using computers since Windows 3.11. I know how upgrades leave a lot to be desired, so I've always just done a fresh install of a new OS. I was just going off about being lulled into a false sense of security with one going off without a hitch in upgrading Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10.

As for user-friendliness, that's definitely up in the air.

• Interfaces alone, Mac OS X > Windows ~ Linux.
    • Stability-wise, Linux ~ Mac OS X > Windows.
    • Letting power users do what they want, Linux > Windows ~ Mac OS X.
    • Helping newbies, Mac OS X > Windows > Linux.
    • Keeping programs up-to-date, Linux > Mac OS X ~ Windows.
    • EULAs, DRM, and copy protection burdens, Linux > Mac OS X > Windows.

Hmm...I just noticed Windows is not at the top of any of those lists. Anywho, back to topic.

Trust me, I wasn't without a contingency plan. I always mount /home on its own partition. For my hard-wired desktops, my /home resides on a file server mounted via NFS. Stuff like this is easy to recovery from with all previous preferences in tact with this setup.

What my main gripe is that I was planning on a smooth upgrade and then testing out the new KDE 4.1 desktop if time permitted. Instead, I stayed up way too late just getting Ubuntu 8.04 installed, upgraded, and set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
    *hugs* I tried to install Linux on my PS3 and finally got it to work (but hated it) and took it off Took forever.
    Which flavor of Linux?
    Last edited by Ketchup345; Jul 26, 2008 at 12:10 AM.
    I'm Guy, so what?