Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Shalo the Katana Warrior/Furrypaws Lacker ofTitle furrypaws's Avatar

...Poop...socking?

o.o;

...o_____________________________o;

.......O__________________o;

Are those 5 minutes it takes to walk to the bathroom and back really going to kill you?

^ they will kill your character or something, which is obviously more important than your basic bodily functions
    I'm straight, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by ABDUR101 View Post
    Thats not true, unless you're going in there entirely under-geared and unprepared. With a suitably geared group of ten people, you can do it in about four hours. I went in last week with a very decent geared group, if anything we were short DPS and had four healers just so the going would be nice and smooth, as opposed to fast and sloppy with alot of wipes.

We cleared the entire instance in 3 hours 40 minutes, with two wipes and all bosses cleared.

Oh =S

I used to play WoW and my guild was getting geared for Karazhan, I just heard some people on there say it takes a really, really long time.

Sounds like that was a really awesome run though o_O

I loved WoW, but all the high level content just seems extremely time consuming. (Biggest thing I ever done on there was a guild run of Heroic Slave Pens, and that took almost 3 hours...)

Also I have to retract my earlier statement - I HAVE spent more than 5 minutes on a boss before. The stupid PSU bosses that won't freaking stay within hitting range for more then 10 or 15 seconds (Falz, Dimma, etc).

Even if you don't know it is going to take that long, after you're fighting an hour, and not much closer to beating the boss... don't you just... walk away?
    They probably thought "Well we've been here an hour, therefore, he most be very close to dying"

That kind of thinking (logical in any other game) probably get them there.

After all, who wants to walk away from a 2 or 3 hour fight knowing the boss might be on the very brink of death?

Despite my long rant i made about FFXI...I actually did try it again (with 4 friends)......and I still stand by what I said in that rant....

It is a nice game...but I just don't have the life and time that FFXI demands

Some of the most simple tasks take hours to do. (If you solo your Kazham pass....be prepared for at least 6+ hours of doing it)

And it wasn't like I'm not that good of a gamer. (I've made maxed level on RO (AND transcended) and WOW and I've made it to lv.76 on Flyff)

..but I've never encountered a game that demands so much of your life like FFXI....

It can take about 5 hours to get a party....that only lasts for 30 minutes (and don't think you'll level in 30 minutes when your mid-level)

And then they have the nerve to put that bullshit disclaimer "Don't spend to much time playing" when it takes about 5+ to even complete some of your missions....

(I will never forget when i attempted to unlock Blue Mage by myself...and it took me roughly 12 hours to do.....the next day...I quit the game...)

Eh, so they spent a virtual lifetime fighting a boss. Whatever floats their boat. Different MMO developers try to create exciting and 'epic' adventures, especially in battles, for their subscribers. I've criticized SE for years about trying to do this by extending the grind, but as said before, "fun" is subjective, and some people love an extra grind. Perhaps this was fun in parts, or altogether for some of the participants.

I wonder if anyone has legitimately defeated Absolute Virtue yet, and if so, how long did it take? Hmm. I mean, you know you have a problem with either your game design philosophy, or just plain relating to your subscriber-base (or both!) if you, the developer, have to create a video sequence to demonstrate just how to win against a seemingly impossible foe, and end up creating more questions than answers.

I played FFXI for three years, mainly before merits really kicked off, before ToAU and such. I've little experience outside of mining in Mt. Zhayolm for mad gilz after that. Generally I found the game's slow-paced nature quite enjoyable and relaxing. It gives me time to communicate with others at just about any time, even during many battle situations, and it helps keep the game social. FFXI's brand of party structuring is a good concept, as rather than running into dungeons and battles and taking part in mindless free-for-alls, each job class actually has a specific role to play and is important as an individual in that party (can't say the same for merit pts, but whatever...) Unfortunately there just isn't enough of that kind of variety to keep the process of forming parties a smooth one. Anyway, I somehow feel all this belongs in a different 'FFXI sucks!' thread, so I'll zip it up right here. :3

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityXXX View Post
    Despite my long rant i made about FFXI...I actually did try it again (with 4 friends)......and I still stand by what I said in that rant....

It is a nice game...but I just don't have the life and time that FFXI demands

Some of the most simple tasks take hours to do. (If you solo your Kazham pass....be prepared for at least 6+ hours of doing it)

And it wasn't like I'm not that good of a gamer. (I've made maxed level on RO (AND transcended) and WOW and I've made it to lv.76 on Flyff)

..but I've never encountered a game that demands so much of your life like FFXI....

It can take about 5 hours to get a party....that only lasts for 30 minutes (and don't think you'll level in 30 minutes when your mid-level)

And then they have the nerve to put that bullshit disclaimer "Don't spend to much time playing" when it takes about 5+ to even complete some of your missions....

(I will never forget when i attempted to unlock Blue Mage by myself...and it took me roughly 12 hours to do.....the next day...I quit the game...)
    Sounds like your problems were:

A) You tried to solo everything. Soloing in the vast majority of situations is a no-no.
    B) You never made it out of Yhoator.

Not saying it becomes any less tedious, but I've found most of your problems can be solved by levelling, which is easier post Yhoator Jungle.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian_Knight View Post
    Sounds like your problems were:

A) You tried to solo everything. Soloing in the vast majority of situations is a no-no.
    B) You never made it out of Yhoator.

Not saying it becomes any less tedious, but I've found most of your problems can be solved by levelling, which is easier post Yhoator Jungle.
    But it becomes a catch-22. 'Need to level to get better groups, but can't find a group to level!'

FFXI was made to punish the player.

It's pretty easy to solo to 10-15 for most jobs, tbh. At that point, if one is lucky enough to find a good party, one can level from there. The real problem comes from the fact that the game is at a point in its life-cycle where hardly any players are in the low-mid levels, and because of that you either get few to no invites at those levels, or you do, but those parties are probably filled with first-time players, or ignorant noobs. It's likely to happen more often than not at this point. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Mewnie View Post
    FFXI was made to punish the player.
    Agreed.

Also, that's not entirely true Kard. People are always levelling subjobs.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ABDUR101 View Post
    Thats not true, unless you're going in there entirely under-geared and unprepared. With a suitably geared group of ten people, you can do it in about four hours. I went in last week with a very decent geared group, if anything we were short DPS and had four healers just so the going would be nice and smooth, as opposed to fast and sloppy with alot of wipes.

We cleared the entire instance in 3 hours 40 minutes, with two wipes and all bosses cleared.
    3 hours and 10 minutes was the fastest clear time I had. It was a very fast and smooth run we had. Though everyone was geared for MH/BT level and we only really do Kara these days for the badges.