Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Global Warming?

Global Warming is real, but the climate is an extremely complex system which we still know very little about in the big picture. Most of these exaggerated doomsday predictions are based on computer models which have a rather limited scope both in programing and in knowledge compared to the actual interactions of the climate. There's no doubt that we're contributing, but to what level is still really not fully investigated. It's a good banner for change though, since we cannot continue on this path of reckless consumption without the infrastructure to support it.

That's part of why I whole heartedly support 5 - 8 dollar gas prices. Necessity is the mother of invention, and if we expect to push clean renewable energy solutions - we're going to need some major motivation. Saving money and imminent death are great selling points. I'm not trying to insinuate some underlying conspiracy behind all this - that's just the way things are turning out. An emergent property of our global markets and communications.

Although I would like to see some of those record high profits the oil companies are raking in going towards R&D on these new energy sources (some is, but not enough) or to other worthy causes - like helping Africa to become more self-sufficent and regulated in regards to resources and agriculture. Or god forbid, actually modifying our current societies infrastructure to accommodate the coming climate change.

Adaptability is the key to survival. All things change in a dynamic system, which our planet and climate are. We cannot preserve nature, only conserve it - manage it. You have to roll with the punches - because a rigid system will break down and make matters even worse in the long run. If we insist on trying to conform nature to our civilization, rather than conforming our civilization to nature, then it will only end with our ruin.

As for 2012... heh... well, to put it succinctly, it's a bunch of crap. I'd be much more worried about the Technological Singularity, which has a far greater likelihood of occurring and will force us to start answering some of the really big questions which have plagued philosophers for years. That is, unless you're like me and are looking forward to it if it ever does come. Either we will transcend our humanity by merging with our technology, or we will die in the childbirth of the next step of evolution.

Eh, but I ramble...
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Oct 14, 2008 at 08:22 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Thanks for clearing that up Ketchup. I wasn't so sure myself
    I just knew that using normal gas was the worst compaired to biodiesel/electricty/hydrogen.