Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You could try Dead Space. If Resident Evil 4 and BioShock had a baby, you sent this baby into space, and made it watch The Thing until its tiny mind shattered, and then found a way to project its horrifying nightmares onto the outside world, it'd probably look something like Dead Space.

It's $60 bucks on the Toys 'R Us website as well! Only problem is it hasn't come out just yet. Apparently it's being released on the 20th?

I must agree with Sord. As someone who loved Phantasia and Symphonia, I was looking forward to Vesperia, and while the graphics and battle system / music seem very nice in their own right, it just feels....so so so unoriginal. Like a painted up car crash of the other "Tales of" games and pretty much any other mediocre Japanese RPG you can think of...

Also, Dead Space ships on the 14th (today) so it should be in stores tomorrow. Dunno where you heard it was pressed back to the 20th, Eihwaz, but I have it pre-ordered and already received a call it will be in tomorrow.

Maybe Toys R Us is just getting it late then, I dunno *shrug*

My suggestions (no particular order) :

Dead Space
    Bioshock
    Silent Hill

I was also going to agree with The Force Unleashed, but since you don't want that right now...

See, I was seriously considering Dead Space, if only because I've been hearing lots of great stuff about it, but there are two major issues:

1.) The game hasn't been on my radar AT ALL until yesterday or today, so I'll have to go watch some gameplay vids and whatnot to try and get a feel for it.

2.) Toys R Us has it listed as 10/20 on its website, and the sale ends 10/19. I'd pick everything up at a brick and mortar store instead of online, but my local Toys R Us has almost nothing in stock (Which may have been remedied since Sunday) and it marks up the prices of almost everything. ($68.99 for a 360 game? Not gonna do it.)

Though it strikes me odd a kid friendly place like Toys R Us might carry it, BioShock is pretty good.

Already played through Bioshock using a 360 controller on my brother's pc hooked up to my dad's massive hdtv, so I figure that I'm not missing much if I skip it on 360.

Well since you are so stubborn and planned to get The Force Unleashed later on anyway at a "bargain price" you might as well get it as your third game if you can't think of anything else by time you get there (free sure is a bargain, after all)

Well this sucks for me, I went to 3 different Toys R' Us and none of them had Metal Gear Solid 4!!!.

I might get Dead space if TRU has but they indeed suck with "new" releases. They gets their copies 1 week after Gamestop does. :\ .
    My wanted games of 2013:
    Ducktales(PS3), Ys Celceta(Vita), Beyond: Two Souls(PS3), Legend of Heroes:Sen no Kiseki (PS3, JP version)

I actually thought the force unleashed was pretty crappy, but I played the Wii version. Keep in mind it isn't just the controls here. I thought it was crappy for entirely different reasons than waggle controls, though that was bad. For starters, it's short, really really short. I beat it in six hours, and wound up giving my self another 2 hours of entertainment afterwards by putting in cheat codes and blowing through some of the levels slaughtering everything.

The story has potential to be great but... it's pretty much entirely unused potential. You'll find your character makes bonds with people out of nowhere. Granted, the predictable plot assures that you'll see it coming, but no character development is actually shown.

The game also seems to be filled with glitches and bugs, I even had to replay one level, because I was required to kill all soldiers within an area before I could move on, and a soldier with a jet pack decided to fly outside the damn map boundaries. But you know what makes it even more ridiculous, the door was in a wall in the forest, and my double jump was higher than that damn wall. Which just goes to show how horribly linear this game is. You are almost always forced down a linear path witch often takes the form of cleverly disguised HALLWAYS with a few rooms every now and then, as there is little to no free roaming in this game. In another glitch, I defeated a boss without defeating his robot sidekicks, which had glowing plasma swords. In the following cinema, there were floating plasma swords in the background while the main guy and some other dude are talking, and no robots are attached to the swords.

This games idea for difficulty takes on the approach of "fill the rooms with lots of guys, and make you hit them a lot." By the last 1/3rd of the game you'll find it more efficient to just run past everyone and ignore them, as trying to fight them will get you nailed with blaster fire from 20 different directions while stand around to take down one to three guys with a lights saber or force power. Though if you get them all in a group, you can fry the hell out of them with a lightning skill. However, the jet pack guys (who are just plain annoying) will deliberately try and stay a distance from you. Oh, and most of the AIs are shit.

The Jedi battles in this game are freaking awesome, except for at some points when you try to use lightning on a Jedi, and they just stand there and don't take damage, because either A. they're just standing there and the game won't let them be hurt for some damn reason, or B. they are doing a force power animation, which you're not allowed to interrupt in any way. However, the finishers you perform on them can be quite pleasing, and that there is about the biggest highlight of this game. Flashy choreographed cinemas where you kill a boss while pushing in buttons (or in the Wii's case waggle nunchuck or stick) ala God of War, Kingdom Heart, Resident Evil 4, and about a dozen other games that all use this gameplay tactic.

The levels are also recycled, as in, you are on the same damn map. I went to the same section of the jedi temple 3 times I believe, the junkyard twice, and the wookie planet and the planet with the bar have similar looking layouts. The plant planet was used at least twice as well. There are a few places you visit once, but that doesn't make up for recycled areas.

In the end it all boils down to Jedi power eye candy. Don't buy this game unless you find it at a rental price, cause that's all it's worth. My friend tells me he likes his 360 edition, maybe it's different, but if it's anything like the Wii's, steer clear.
    Last edited by Sord; Oct 14, 2008 at 08:06 PM.

Ninja Gaiden II is a great game, until you get into some of the later parts... Which pretty much boil down to "Hey, look, a Ninja! *infinite rocket salvo*." It's still fun, and you'd have to be daft to think I'm making a joke here.

The one on DS is surprisingly well-done, as well. I think there's a demo on the Nintendo Channel on the Wii, but I haven't touched mine since the last time I played Brawl. :/ It's worth trying, though, assuming you're not so closed-minded as to not try a demo of a game, simply because of the developer - I'm certain that other people can vouch for this one.

As for other games... You have a DS, so The World Ends with You is the obvious choice, if you don't have it already, and Sonic Chronicles is surprisingly good for a BioWare game. Any idea of it's possible to but a DS game and a 360 game, then get another 360 game free? >_>

For your 360, I can recommend Lost Odyssey if you're in the mood for severely old-school RPGs, or Infinite Undiscovery if you crave a little more action and some of that "open-world, MMO-feeling" sort of massiveness, but without the redundancy usually attributed therein. I would suggest Gears of War, but with the sequel just around the corner, you may wish to wait on that one.

I guess it depends on what you like, and what you're in the mood for.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Deadspace. Looks really, really, good. Check out the launch trailer....

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41504.html