Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Valkyria Chronicles

Has anyone played this yet? I'm surprised at how refreshing this game is. Even more surprised that its by Sega. I picked it up today on a whim, played the demo thought it was fun wanted more games for my PS3. I pretty much spent the whole afternoon on it. Made it to chapter 5 and still really digging the aesthetics of the game. The presentation is top notch.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

I played the demo before release and then pre-ordered it.

Also on chapter 5 right now. And I absolutely love it. The only thing I'm afraid of is the plot straying from its realistic (and even touching at times) plot and delving into some weird stupid fantasy bit. Since the Japanese seem to have a habit of throwing stupid unrealistic elements into nice realistic games (Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center come to mind).

Hopefully it won't. Or if it does, it won't be too bad.

I love being able to select a unit on the map and watching the camera zoom down and then getting to control it though. Thats an awesome feature. And I have to agree I'm surprised its by Sega. I guess this game proves theres still some competence in the company...

Im tempted to buy it, the demo seemed interesting. but I just spent my money on LBP, which was worth every penny. The graphics alone would make me want to purchase the game.
    Is the game challanging I wonder, the demo was fairly easy. Also I am not a fan of "modes" (ie, easy, normal, hard) and I cant figure out if this game has them - not in story mode, but just in skirmish? I think I might buy it when I get paid next though. I lovvvve the presentation.

Its funny, my husband has been watching me play a lot of ps3 games lately, LBP, Folklore, WipeoutHD, and demos like VC...he commented on how cool unique and artsy the ps3 games were compared to 360. (Which....is just gathering dust in a corner) I hope this is an indication of the future Im starting to really <3 my ps3!

Support your exclusives PS3ers!

I'm torn between this or Mirror's Edge. I be hunting them both at Circuit City, $44.99. VC might a lot harder to find compared to ME, since EA publishes so many copies of their games. We'll see what happens Thursday.
    My wanted games of 2013:
    Ducktales(PS3), Ys Celceta(Vita), Beyond: Two Souls(PS3), Legend of Heroes:Sen no Kiseki (PS3, JP version)

It looks pretty neat.

I wouldn't worry about finding either game though. Software isn't usually difficult to find.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

My friend showed me Vyse and Aika are in it when he was browsing through it's strategy guide.

I'm interested in Valkyria Chronicles ( even though I'm not that big on strategy games ) but at the moment I just can't afford to buy another game. Last week I bought Little Big Planet, Gears of War 2 and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm and a couple of weeks before that it was Fable 2. I'm going to have to wait a few weeks before I can pick this up, hopefully the local game stores will still be selling it since I get the impression that the Irish arn't that big on rpgs and strategy games.

I've been playing this game religiously now. I'm totally in love wit it. The story and it's various elements are gripping of course thats a standard of JRPGs so no big surprise there. Also sorry to dissapoint you Aisha but yeah they add some fantasy stuff in there. It's not too overdone though, has more of an Indiana Jones/ The Mummy feel to it which is all right in my book.

Siera:
    The game has Normal Easy and Hard mode but thats only for Skirmish battles. Not the Storyline battles. The Storyline battles seem to be pre set and with good reason, if the A.I. was smarter they could have easily wiped the floor with me. The hardest battle I've fought so far is the chapter 7 battle. I must have repeated it like 4 times that fight is TOUGH. I won't spoil it for anyone. I'll just say that, be glad that the enemy A.I. is predictable. Chapter 4 gave me a run for my money too my first time around, but it was mostly becuase you had a limited amount of time to end the battle.

Overall though I would have to say that this game feels a lot like chess. Your success comes down to how well you understand your units capabilities and roles. Snipers are like rooks, lancers are knights, scouts are Bishops and your engineers/shocktroopers are pawns. While your tank is the queen/king.

I'm on chapter 11 now and the games flow is solid. Difficulty for battles seems as varied, definetly require more thought and forsight as you progress then you might have expected from the demo and all the little nuances of the game keep it fresh. It's like fire emblem set in a WW1 setting. I also have to agree with Siera, the presentation is top notch!

I think I read on kotaku that they would be making an anime off of this game. I can't wait as I'm really digging the characters in this game.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

I can probably deal with the fantasy stuff if it just isn't crazy.

However, I have to disagree with this:

The story and it's various elements are gripping of course thats a standard of JRPGs so no big surprise there.
    I'd have to say many JRPG's have incredibly linear and cookie cutter stories. Valkyria Chronicles is simple, but the presentation is great and it actually makes you care about the characters and a lot of it is even quite touching, which I think is pretty rare in most JRPG's (I guess thats just a matter of opinion though).

Also, wow, the pre-order artbook that came with the game is apparently extremely rare, since I've seen it go for $60+ on eBay...

AKA the Unbelievable Batmobile UnderscoreX's Avatar

Picking this up on Saturday, I looooooove the canvas engine they're using, looks so dope.
    I generally like but don't love SRPGs so I wasn't really all that hyped about this game, but after playing the demo and hearing there are cameos from some Skies of Arcadia characters that changed real fast.
    My better is better than your better.