Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default PS3 is industry leader, Kaz Hirai says.

Leading in what, I have no idea. However, even in this short excerpt I think he contradicts himself.

He says that Nintendo's going after a different market, so they aren't competitors. Yet, at the bottom of the article he says he hopes people who don't play games buy his console just for Home, which would be a different market.

Honestly, I don't think he's got the elbow room to be so arrogant.

Again, what the heck does he think he's leading the industry in? Units unsold?

EDIT: Fixed my sloppy tags.
    Last edited by McLaughlin; Jan 27, 2009 at 11:44 PM.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

He's thinking that people will buy his glorified Blu-Ray player to play a trussed up Second Life? Ha ha, never change Hirai.

Edit: Link's broken by the way.
    Last edited by Xaeris; Jan 28, 2009 at 12:01 AM.

I think I worded that poorly. He hopes people who normally don't play games (like the audience Nintendo's after) buy a PS3 for Home, and then realize that there the PS3 (allegedly?) has games to play as well.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

Only lives to get radical W0LB0T's Avatar

I think he was ment to say "Market Loser"

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that developers want
    Damm straight. Have fun playing NO FUCKING GAMES!!!

Current Projects:None
    Old Projects:[ [Dhylaw 1-10 11-13] [Dhylaw Season 2]

No, my fault. Don't know why I thought "concerned" was the right word there.

"So it's a kind of - I wouldn't say a double-edged sword - but it's hard to program for, and a lot of people see the negatives of it, but if you flip that around, it means the hardware has a lot more to offer," he said.
    You know, he makes a good point here. It's not as if ease of use to the point that kids at home can make games with your platform is the backbone of an OS that gives us the most ambitious games in both graphics and design at any given point in time.

...Oh. Wait.

"And," offered Hirai, "unless things go really bad, there's no way that at the end of a life cycle our competition is going have a higher install base."
    If having a launch that, by itself, causes the parent company to report billions of dollars in losses doesn't constitute things going really bad, then I'm really curious about what he means.

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai.
    How about... Stop dicking around with trying to figure out this complicated damned hardware, and focus on making games with more interesting gameplay mechanics, instead?

Also, nothing says, "We're down with making sure great games are available to make you want to buy and own our console," like:
    "We want to expand the demographics from just a videogaming audience to something that's a little bit more massive," Hirai concluded.
    I swear, every time one of those Sony execs opens his mouth for the media, he just digs his hole deeper.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

Kaz Hirai? After that E3 conference I can't take him seriously ever again.

Besides, Nintendo's not just only looking at the non-gamer, but both the gamer and the non-gamer. Otherwise, games like Brawl and Metroid Prime 3 wouldn't exist.
    Blue Blue Glass Moon, Under the Crimson Air
    PSØ (JP): ジェネヴィヴ (Lv.58 HUnewearl) :: Dahlia (Lv.26 FOmarl) :: X-MASS (Lv.06 HUcaseal)
    PSØ (US): Potpourri (Lv.00 FOnewearl) :: Adelina (Lv.00 RAmarl) :: Brynhildr (Lv.00 RAcaseal)

Industry leader in comic relief, I guess.

Between Kaz Hirai, Jack Tretton, and Ken Kutaragi, they've got an all-star comedic lineup.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Unlike Steve Ballmer this comedy routine doesn't make you want to take him to a party.

Celestial Knight of Azure Flames zandra117's Avatar
    My soul is in Gurhal while my heart is on Ragol

Quote Originally Posted by Shiroyu View Post
    Kaz Hirai? After that E3 conference I can't take him seriously ever again.

Besides, Nintendo's not just only looking at the non-gamer, but both the gamer and the non-gamer. Otherwise, games like Brawl and Metroid Prime 3 wouldn't exist.
    Actually, those are just sequals with enhanced mechanics. There hasn't been a real new franchise for gamers from Nintendo since the N64.
    "Thol-Falz, tes par rel diemed. Tes syr, weh yi ryukad te reli, rel ken rel obid." Dark Force, your shrine is finished. Your sword, who you returned to reality, is able to be wielded.