Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Refreshing Minty Flavor Puppet_Papaya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    It'd be more accurate to say that the arcade controls are incredibly awkward at first - simply because of how many actions are packed into two joysticks with two buttons each.

The console-style gamepad controls are relatively intuitive, though, as long as you get used to the concept of not manually turning.
    I could never get used to turning. I always had to jump to reorient myself. That always bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet_Papaya View Post
    I could never get used to turning. I always had to jump to reorient myself. That always bothered me.
    In the original VO, I would dash and then shoot.

I'd usually end up getting destroyed as a result.

I, uh... I was never very good at that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet_Papaya View Post
    Right. I'm fairly certain that turning, as it is, is only in the game to allow specific special moves to be executed. The most common tactic used for re-orientation is, of course, jumping then immediately guarding (so you land almost as soon as you take off, resulting in you immediately facing the enemy, but without the airtime. Even the CPU opponents will do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    In the original VO, I would dash and then shoot.

I'd usually end up getting destroyed as a result.

I, uh... I was never very good at that game.
    Part of what I liked about the series was the fact that it was pretty tactical and, despite being a fighting game, wasn't really based as much on twitch reactions (and silly things like frame timing).

More like things such as... Using grenades to destroy enemy projectiles, and timing your attacks so they hit the enemy when they finish dashing or when they land from a jump, which is a big opening... And strategic use of in-fighting and pressure, and liberal applications of dashes and watari (so as to throw off their timing, if they try to catch you at the end of a dash to attack).

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."