Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

post there names plz. psp cant open pic above ^ .
    what can't kill me, just get me pissed off.

Omega... You... You use the PSP to webbrowse too!? Ahh... so much memories... But I really suggest buying a laptop... you can get one for the same price as a PSP ya' know! (I wouldn't have bought three PSPs if I knew that... T.T )

Ethan ---- Nick Tagas
    Karen ---- Erin Beers
    Hyuga ---- Andrew Ceglio
    Nav/Hiru Vol ---- Darren Jennings
    Tylor/No Vol/Leo/Curtz ---- David Rosenthal
    Tonnio/Vivienne ---- Amy Rubinate
    Helga ---- Aileen Casas
    Lou ---- Maile Sandidge
    Dallgun/Rutsu ---- Owen Thomas
    Tomrain ---- David Nowlin
    Maya/Lumia/Norphe ---- Amy Provenzano
    Kalam/Liina ---- Melissa Hutchison
    Do Vol/Narrator ---- Roger Jackson
    Laia ---- Gina Tuosto

Perhaps that is why I have those opinions, BECAUSE I heard the Japanese voices first.
    Elegant as the Wind,
    Silent as a Forest,
    Mysterious as the Ocean,
    Fierce as Fire,
    Immovable as a Mountain,
    Righteous as the Light!

ty. and i have labtop but i broke it. hint hint

Hmm... then perhaps you could use that shiny PSP to hack a bank/PAYPAL account and get a new one...XD
    Elegant as the Wind,
    Silent as a Forest,
    Mysterious as the Ocean,
    Fierce as Fire,
    Immovable as a Mountain,
    Righteous as the Light!

nah im good 4 now. @.-

I was disappointed when I heard Leo's new voice. The old voice actor was one of the few people I thought did a decent job.

Forever protecting Gurhal Deco_Bryl's Avatar

I think the overall voice acting in PSP has become even more uneven than before. Most of the actors reprising their roles are either as good as before (e.g., Darren Jennings as Headmaster Nav) or better (e.g., Nick Tagas as Ethan). Andrew Ceglio (Hyuga), however, sometimes inexplicably narrates or just plain reads too slow when he should be having a conversation, which he proved he could in Episode 1.

Gina Tuosto, who plays Laia again, doesn't sound like she's improved much since AotI. Two-thirds of the time, she sounds more like she's narrating than conversing. Also, in my opinion, her voice sounds too smooth compared to Laia's tough-beast-woman nature. She only sounded feral enough to me whenever she screamed "I'LL DESTROY YOU!" for a nanoblast.

On the brighter side, Amy Provenzano still sounds great as Maya. However, Maya sounds different this time—less bubbly, more down-to-earth. Maybe it's because of Maya's experiences in Episode 1, or maybe Provenzano just kinda-sorta forgot how she played the part before. Who knows? Anyway, it's a different, yet equally, if not more, enjoyable performance. I like this new Maya. I found myself wanting to hear more.

Next, we have the new characters. Amy Rubinate, who has played Tonnio, Ethan's partner machine Pete, Hal, and Mother Brain, adds Vivienne to her already long list of PSU characters. As Vivienne, Rubinate sounded somewhat artificial and stiff to me, at first, even for a CAST. Gradually, though, her innocence, naïveté, and sweet nature won me over. I even think she gradually sounds more natural as the story progresses. Maybe that was the plan all along.

Newcomer Aileen Casas plays the unnaturally powerful villainess Helga Neumann (or Noimann in the cutscenes). Casas does the self-assured-and-smug thing well enough, but when Helga's supposed to be angry or otherwise stressed, a few times, Casas just doesn't sound angry or stressed enough. I doubt this is her underplaying those scenes; even if she was, it comes off as lacking raw energy to me.

The actresses for Mina, Sheena, Reina, and Mana—the GUARDIANS receptionists—are, oddly enough, uncredited. Mina sounds too stiff most of the time. In my opinion, whoever's playing her really needs to relax more. Other than that, the character sounds surprisingly professional and mature. I thought she'd sound younger. (Curiously, in the PSP demo, it sounds more like Maile Sandidge, who plays Lou in the final version of PSP, is playing Mina. The speech patterns sound exactly the same to me.)

Sheena sounds jarringly, really jarringly, childlike. The games don't say much about CAST maturation, but like Ertai, I've always imagined Sheena had a normal-sounding voice despite the bad grammar. The way she is, she's rather scary to hear!

Reina sounds exactly as I'd expected—smooth, very professional, and calm. I think this performance is competent—no more, no less. It won't win any awards, but it probably won't "win" any Razzies, either.

Last, but not least, there's Mana. Whoever plays her sounds a little more rough and irreverent than I was expecting, but she also injects a catty playfulness I really liked. To me, this makes Mana the most fun of the four receptionists to hear.

Finally, let's talk about the replacements. David Rosenthal fills in for Mark Atherlay as Leo. Rosenthal's performance is competent but too different from Atherlay's for me. Rosenthal's Leo sounds slightly more excitable and considerably less paternal. I miss the old Leo.

The biggest disappointment, though, is Maile Sandidge replacing Bret Walter as Lou. In the early scenes, she emotes just a little too much, spiking her inflection on certain words when Walter would have raised it subtly like the emotionally restrained CAST Lou is. Also, Sandidge's Lou frequently sounds older, or at least lower-pitched, than Walter's. The most serious problem with Sandidge's performance, however, is her slow, choppy reading throughout the game. It's uncomfortable to listen to at best and awful at worst. If you thought Tagas's Ethan was horrible, Sandidge's Lou makes Ethan sound golden.

Beyond the actors, I've got to nitpick a few inconsistent pronunciations. First, all the actors pronounce Vivienne's name the same as the name Vivian (i.e., "VIV-ee-un"). With that spelling, I was expecting something more like "viv-ee-ENN." I grew up in Canada (eh?), so maybe what little Canadian French my teachers managed to drill into my head is shaping my expectations. It's not too big a deal.

What I liked a lot less, though, is how the actors pronounce Headmaster Nav's name. In Episode 1, it was pronounced "NAYVE," like "knave." In PSP, however, everybody pronounces it "NAV," like "NAVigation." That really irked me. Can't the directors, producers, or whoever's in charge be more consistent?! I wish they'd just pick one and stick with it.

PSP's voice acting has quite a few bright spots, but the dull spots and downright messy smudges smother that light. It's a shame—I really did enjoy several of the performances.
    Last edited by Deco_Bryl; Mar 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM.

I wasn't sure if lou and leo had different voice actors, thanks for confirming it.

Another inconsistence with names is Tonnio's surname, in the cutscenes they say Lima, but his name in the party is still Rhima xD

Forever protecting Gurhal Deco_Bryl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by landman View Post
    I wasn't sure if lou and leo had different voice actors, thanks for confirming it.
    And I've got to thank KamiKazeKenji (cool name! ) for writing down the voice credits! All I had before was a blurry cell-phone recording thereof! XD Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by landman View Post
    Another inconsistence with names is Tonnio's surname, in the cutscenes they say Lima, but his name in the party is still Rhima xD
    You're right! I totally forgot about that! Technically, it's more of a writing problem, but the actors pronounced it without thinking, so I guess it still counts. :P Never mind that it's just one of many gigs for them and they couldn't be bothered like some of us to memorize the PSU character names, even one. *whistles innocently* (*snigger* "Lima..." )

Come to think of it, the most blatant change, error, or failure of the dialogue team to communicate with the game-text team, at least concerning character names, may be Helga, whose surname is Noimann in the cutscenes and Neumann in the game text, like in the vision phone. If I stretched my imagination a bit, I can kinda see "Noimann" as a European or otherwise alternate pronunciation of "Neumann." But an actual European would know better than me. :P Regardless, as with the Headmaster, they really should have picked one and stuck with it! (Sigh.)

Oh, Sega. You're so consistently inconsistent. XD
    Last edited by Deco_Bryl; Mar 20, 2009 at 05:09 PM.