Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question PSU Best settings?

I already posted this on the official forums, but I'm posting again here to reach more of the community.

I know this question has been asked at least once here, but the answers were insufficient and incomplete.
    What are the best settings in PSU's options menu for optimizing the game's speed?
    What is the model display buffer? Should motion calculation be left to the CPU or hardware? (Why isn't there a guide for this?!)

I'm running Vista 64-bit with a 2.0 GHz processor and an Intel mobile 4 series express device (yes, I know laptops are unsupported).

There are some settings I can mess around with in the Intel graphics options menu, but I have little to no clue what most of them do.
    These include asynchronous flip, triple buffering, flipping policy (which is better, flipping or blitting?), and forced texture compression.

Can someone elaborate on PSU's options and give me some definitive answers? Extra bonus points if you can offer advice on Intel's wacky options.

this is what you should do, if by speed you mean less lag...click on the options, use the quick settings of low graphics, and then hit the advanced or whatever it is, then put the frame skip to 3...its your best bet.

Let me rephrase that a little: I mean best possible framerate at any cost to graphics.
    Your suggestion does work, but with a frame skip of 2 or 3 I've found that PSU sometimes doesn't capture keyboard input as well (like missing letters in the chat box).
    With a frame skip of 0 or 1, what would be the best settings to optimize PSU's graphics drawing, motion calculation, textures, and models?

Select "Low" on the quality box (not in the detailed panel). That should take care of all the internal settings you need to worry about. Then put frameskip on whatever you want to try...
    (Dead server) :: Angra Mainyu : Ahura Mazda : Arbalest : Fischerspooner :: PSUpedia & Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Schyfis View Post
    Let me rephrase that a little: I mean best possible framerate at any cost to graphics.
    Your suggestion does work, but with a frame skip of 2 or 3 I've found that PSU sometimes doesn't capture keyboard input as well (like missing letters in the chat box).
    With a frame skip of 0 or 1, what would be the best settings to optimize PSU's graphics drawing, motion calculation, textures, and models?
    i get that same problem when on uh full screen, in the 1280 x 768 or whatever my highest thing is....but when i put it down to uh, 1240 x 768 it works fune....maybe thats the problem?

EDIT:this is what i changed my settings to tonight, and the game looks amazing, and runs smooth, tried like 10 missions, 0 lag the whole way.
    also, what type of video card do you have? if you have ATI, i can help you a wholllllllle lot more....specially if for some amazing reason you have the same model as me....X1200 series.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Volcompat321; May 1, 2009 at 06:53 AM.

V-sync takes a hit on performance on most games. I wouldnt be surprised if you could run PSU at frameskip 1 with it turned off.

Unfortunately, the only way to run without V-sync is to go fullscreen, but I multitask quite a bit and like to switch windows without the game crashing.

I seem to have found a balance between framerate and graphics that works for me.
    I have all the clipping set to low, detail set to low, 16 bit color, 640x480, window mode, frame skip 2, compressed textures, anistropic filtering and mipmap both off, motion calculation on the CPU, low LOD models and model buffer 0, high LOD models 6, no shadow mapping, and I'm able to leave post effects on (because gray weapons are boring ).

I tried the same settings except with frame skip 1 and no post effects, but I ended up with slowdowns whenever complex models were loaded. Casting diga (41+) also slowed it down quite a bit.

what exactly is the V-sync?

Quote Originally Posted by Volcompat321 View Post
    what exactly is the V-sync?
    Cuts framerate to ensure the screen doesn't tear. Not really an issue unless you're running over 60fps, which anyone playing on low settings is more than likely NOT going over.
    (Dead server) :: Angra Mainyu : Ahura Mazda : Arbalest : Fischerspooner :: PSUpedia & Forums

since im on high settimgs, since you can see, what do you think im running?