Page 447 of 683 FirstFirst ... 347397437444445446447448449450457497547 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,470 of 6822

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    That happened to my dad once, and it turned out he got insanely sick for about two weeks after because of it. Maybe get it checked out? :X
    This is especially true with West Nile going around, I know there's been two recorded cases and positively-tested mosquitoes about 10-20 miles from where I live. Worth having it looked into.

I acknowledged that it was a strained muscle from work, I lifted a very heavy metal plate like 12-15 times at work yesterday because the drivers who deliever my trailers are dumb and can't park correctly. Since the pains gone, the bites remain

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Is it just me, or could the entire Clint Eastwood RNC preformance actually be a bit of hidden snark, mocking the echo-chamber of political ideologues who craft narratives about their opponents and then respond to those fictional narratives with sound-bite zingers? Or is it, as John Steward put it, just not that uncommon to see old people yelling at inanimate objects?

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

My mom told me that the government is now taking $100 out of her disability check every month for medicare or some stupid bullshit like that. That's not good; we were barely making it as it was. If I don't get a job soon, we're going to be homeless. Again.

Stupid people doing stupid things.

My cousin has been watching too much History channel and unscrupulous disaster "documentaries". He's become worried about hyperinflation, and he's had me watch these National Geographic specials on survivalists who believe the end of the world is right around the corner. Ironically, so far most of the people they've shown who were worried over an "economic end of the world" are fat fucks who are storing years worth of food. That's kind of funny enough in itself, but it occurs to me the these people are fucking spoiled as hell to even consider a mindset in which economic collapse would be an "end of the world" scenario. It's not. Those scenarios have been every-day life for most of human history, and are a present reality for a disturbing amount of the world's population. Want to test your preparation for doomsday to see if they really are viable? Move to Somalia, or the Congo, or Libya and Afghanistan if you're into the military occupation/guerrilla warfare scenario. They have zero practical experience with such scenarios... you'd think they'd want to stress test their preparations in a real-world environment.

Further, to assume that America (or Canada, Europe, or other industrialized nations) would face hyperinflation so bad that it would completely destroy the total fabric of civilization is just stupid. Long before something like that happened, we'd end up doing what Turkey, Brazil, Germany, Greece, Hungary, China and other governments have done when faced with crippling hyperinflation. You issue a new currency. Set to either a fixed rate of inflated currency, or to the "real" value of a commodity, and then slowly transition over while phasing out the old currency. It's not as easy as that sounds, granted, but hyperinflation is far from a "doomsday" scenario.

Lastly, if you define the "end of the world" as merely being a catastrophic or rapid change in the world and a mass displacement from civilization, rather than an actual extinction level event, then what of a "technocalypse" in which society doesn't collapse, but continues to advance at an increasingly faster rate. A thousand years ago, the society your grandfather was raised in was essentially the exact same society that your children would be raised in. But in modernity... well, my grandfather was born before the application of commercial plastics. My father was born before the adoption of the semiconductor. I was born before the commercialization of the internet. My nephew was born at the dawn of genomics.

Major paradigm shifts in industry and society are happening relatively rapidly, and I wonder how long it will be until the resources and time invested needed to build the skills and resources necessary to sustain a post-societal retreat will sabotage the individuals ability to function and thrive within a society that is rapidly passing them by. They are fulfilling their own predictions - a displacement from a functional society not though collapse, but through it's advancement and their refusal to advance within it.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Sep 2, 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

The Black Lion Shop just won't work for me. I open the window, but it is completely empty. No auction house, no gem shop - all of it is simply grey background.

Working at 4 in the morning for weeks is the devil. It's unnatural. It messes up my sleep. It messes up my eating. It's unhealthy. It's torture. I want chicken. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by GCoffee View Post
    The Black Lion Shop just won't work for me. I open the window, but it is completely empty. No auction house, no gem shop - all of it is simply grey background.
    If you're referring to GW2, then it's some kind of maintenance they're running or whatever. I got that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    Spoiler!
    I know I'm being off-topic, but I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Reksanden View Post
    If you're referring to GW2, then it's some kind of maintenance they're running or whatever. I got that as well.
    No, the maintenance image isn't beign shown, either. It's like opening a spoiler-box here and not being able to see the image within it.