Page 152 of 683 FirstFirst ... 52102142149150151152153154155162202252652 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 6822

Quote Originally Posted by joefro View Post
    I agree with you on that one. Papyrus is towards the top of my "Typeface's That Need to Die" list. I can't decide on what I hate the most but it's probably Comic Sans or maybe Copperplate, they're both used way too much.
    Another one that makes me WTF when used on signage: Algerian. I've seen it on more than a few Tex-Mex restaurants, among other miscellaneous misapplications (any application of Algerian is a misapplication).

Gag me.

It's the topmost, for those blissfully ignorant. How many unrelated typefaces can we sandwich into this pic, anyway?
    Get your Algerian font-hate on ici.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Now all I can think of is that Helvetica documentary I saw.
    I've yet to see that film, though it's been on my to-watch list for some time. Have to say Helvetica itself, while nice, is way overhyped as The Design Typeface, however. With so many other beautiful sans-serifs--and grotesques, in particular--I think it's understandable one might grow weary of Helvetica's rep.

Now all I can think of is that Helvetica documentary I saw.

Related to the thread: I hate it when I can't find a sock's other pair.

Once & forever Protranser Gunslinger-08's Avatar

I hate it when I lose two pairs of socks in one load of laundry.

Ship 2 - Gatz

I hate whoever made the final decision to cancel Arrested Development. I really hate him/her.
    Nothing is sacred. Not that it ever was.

Yeah. Though when you think about it, we did get three really good seasons. And that last season had begun spiraling out of control, so in some ways it's better that it ended before it found its way to mediocrity.

But yeah, you're still right. I miss that show.

They just added the series to Netflix Instant Watch, so I've been re-watching a few episodes each night. I guess I'm glad it ended though, season three was getting a little bit carried away and I hate when shows go on for far to long without getting canceled. *cough*The Office(American)*cough*
    Nothing is sacred. Not that it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by joefro View Post
    They just added the series to Netflix Instant Watch, so I've been re-watching a few episodes each night. I guess I'm glad it ended though, season three was getting a little bit carried away and I hate when shows go on for far to long without getting canceled. *cough*The Office(American)*cough*
    Oh, The Office, when will you stop being such a zombie and die already? You had a good run... discounting the last couple seasons. It's time to end it with whatever dignity you have left.

And on the basis of this thread and, yes, years of hearing about the show from friends but never actually knowing what they were talking about, I have now embarked on a great mission to watch Arrested Development.

Um, just to keep this on the right side of rants, I don't like loads of subtitles when I'm trying to do something else while watching TV or a movie.

Oh, Destructoid.

I think it's cool how they built up from pretty much nothing and I actually love some of the features on that site (Memory Card and HAWP are great and fun, respectively), but a few of their writers are just the worst.

My cousin is friends with one of the writers, and I remember having a discussion a few years back in which he explained how proud he was that they had slammed a game other outlets had given good reviews to, despite the fact that he admitted the game in question was better than several other games Destructoid had rated much higher.

Which kind of means that their reviews are completely arbitrary and they were giving review scores not because a game deserved them but instead in an attempt to get more pageviews.

(For full disclosure, about a year after this story happened, I did apply to write there through my cousin's friend, but turned in some pretty crappy samples. I wasn't terribly surprised that they gave me the ol' "maybe next time." I think it's clear from this post that I probably wouldn't have fit in.)

But, y'know, whatever - we all know review scores are absurd. We can get beyond that. Heck, for all I know, maybe this was an isolated incident.

But Jim Sterling? I can't stand that guy's stuff. Every article is either an attempt to rile people up or a show of how his anti-mainstream tendencies make him feel intelligent. It's people like him (and Goldstein, going back to IGN) who help keep alive the stigma that games journalism can't be anything more than fanboy whining and glorified PR.
    Wanted to respond to this before but totally forgot. Generally when a new game comes out I usually decide for myself weather I'm gonna buy the game or not from the first impressions I get from it. Games that I'm unsure about I throw on my gamefly list. I like destructoid because they do pretty good gaming Journalism and have some funny personalities working there. They present interesting information about the industry, and headlines that I find interesting and relevant to the reason why I go there, unlike other sites. Also the site is much more comfortable to navigate then igns. Else that would be my main site for gaming news. So gaming reviews aren't too much concern to me.

I do however like to compare my thoughts on games with the rest of videogame journalists. I do agree that Jim Sterling does come off as a douche, but none the less he actually does provide information on the games that I find relavent. Same as ZeroPuncuation. Behind all his hyperboles and facetious comments, he actually does provide relevant gaming information and can clearly detail certain aspects of games while maintain a brevity that I enjoy.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

Quote Originally Posted by AC9breaker View Post
    Wanted to respond to this before but totally forgot. Generally when a new game comes out I usually decide for myself weather I'm gonna buy the game or not from the first impressions I get from it. Games that I'm unsure about I throw on my gamefly list. I like destructoid because they do pretty good gaming Journalism and have some funny personalities working there. They present interesting information about the industry, and headlines that I find interesting and relevant to the reason why I go there, unlike other sites. Also the site is much more comfortable to navigate then igns. Else that would be my main site for gaming news. So gaming reviews aren't too much concern to me.
    I generally don't rely on reviews either, but they're usually a good litmus test of how much or how little a journalist allows his biases to affect his/her writing. It's just not very professional for a member of the media to support an opinion simply because it will piss people off and make them look different, especially if it's not something they even fully agree with.

But it's Destructoid - it's not the New York Times. I get that. I never mind when a writer on a less serious enthusiast site has some fun with a news post or editorial. But the stigma and importance of reviews in this industry - where it's so bad that developers are paid based on metacritic scores - makes them important beyond just helping people choose what games to buy. I think giving a low score to something when it doesn't deserve it is just as bad as giving something a high score when it doesn't deserve it. If Destructoid was instead going to accept that the role reviews play in the industry is absurd and take that to its natural conclusion, that would be pretty awesome. As it is, they don't do that. I'm glad they got the fanboys upset and pulled in the pageviews, but I really expected them to be above those kinds of tactics.

Still - it is just a stupid videogame review (which shouldn't matter) and it's their site (so they can do what they'd like). I can't really complain when it comes right down to it.

Just to touch on Kotaku - there's this strange group of people who seem to think a lot of the "off-topic" posts have no place on Kotaku. Kotaku has always included slice of life posts and posts related to gamer/geek culture in addition to their gaming news/features. Always. I completely agree that there have been posts that I didn't get - like some of the movie reviews - but it's rare indeed that there's no connection to the blog's focus.

I do however like to compare my thoughts on games with the rest of videogame journalists. I do agree that Jim Sterling does come off as a douche, but none the less he actually does provide information on the games that I find relavent. Same as ZeroPuncuation. Behind all his hyperboles and facetious comments, he actually does provide relevant gaming information and can clearly detail certain aspects of games while maintain a brevity that I enjoy.
    Like I said - that most recent review I watched from ZP was spot-on in some areas. My problem is the confusingly high opinion he has of his work. If he extrapolates on a minor complaints solely for a joke or spends half the video feeding trolls, then it's no longer a review. It's entertainment. I'm fine with that, but he shouldn't get all whiny and claim to be an expert critic with well thought-out opinions when he's not.

Well I always thought that kotaku was primarily a gaming news blog.

The "slice of life" stuff wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't written by japanophile weeaboo douche bags.

I really love this blog, haha.
    http://greatjobkotaku.blogspot.com/

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."