Page 632 of 683 FirstFirst ... 132532582622629630631632633634635642682 ... LastLast
Results 6,311 to 6,320 of 6822

Well yeah, who the fuck cares what's going on with tax laws, foreign politics, or free enterprise being stripped away?

It's all about what Jennifer Lawrence was wearing at [award show] last weekend, babe.

This back pain hasn't gone away yet. Sure, it's a bit better, but I haven't been entirely pain free for a few weeks now.

Off to the doctor's office tomorrow.

"I am leaving early because i am too cold."
    Said the "man" who works in a frozen food department.

>>COLD
    >>FROZEN FOOD DEPARTMENT

Spoiler!

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Sometimes, I really can't stand anime/game communities, because I ALWAYS have to deal with a huge majority of men who believe that everyone around them is a straight alpha male who enjoys seeing sexualized women in lewd scenes and flaunt it in public with disregard to anyone who has personal issues against seeing those things.

It's not like I can just quit doing those things, because they're like my only source of entertainment that doesn't cost a fortune...

It seems the only escape I have from it all, is a very tiny BL-loving community, and my close friends.
    Yaoi is like the best way for people like me to cope and helps make up for the huge imbalance of female/male fanservice that certainly exists in the majority of anime. Of course it's never equal, and usually limited to the form of manga and fan-works.

Shoujo(anime for young girls) does not cut it, because almost all of them perpetuate most of the negative female stereotypes I hate seeing in anime. Things like the girl having a high-pitched voice, always needing to be saved or relying on luck, never wearing long pants or gender-neutral clothing, and always being annoyingly cute.

Even Shounen(anime for young boys) is better at keeping females at least a little more equal and on par to the males without flashing panty shots or something.

I really feel like I need more female/gay/neutral friends who I can connect with, but at the same time it's hard because there's few out there who enjoy doing all the same things I do(or they're just not vocal about it and hide), let alone playing PSO2 on the same ship as me.

People who like the usual anime/games(with moe or sexy girls everywhere) simply do not have to deal with all of these struggles, and will NEVER have empathy for how it is for BL fans or female/gay gamers. Similarly to how rich politicians will never empathize with the lower class without being in the same position, except it's physiologically impossible, and we have to deal with the majority hating on us for liking what we like.
    Last edited by Vetur; Apr 29, 2014 at 03:03 AM.
    Ship 9 - Kouki Elska

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Yo, anime's tropes are fucking stupid. THIS WOMAN HERE IS REALLY STRONG, BUT SHE NEEDS TO BE SAVED AND ALSO HAS TO SHOW OFF HER BIG KNOCKERS, AND IS ALSO INFATUATED WITH THE MAIN MANHERO.

I get tired of that shit, too. Japan, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Vordex View Post
    Yo, anime's tropes are fucking stupid. THIS WOMAN HERE IS REALLY STRONG, BUT SHE NEEDS TO BE SAVED AND ALSO HAS TO SHOW OFF HER BIG KNOCKERS, AND IS ALSO INFATUATED WITH THE MAIN MANHERO.

I get tired of that shit, too. Japan, please.
    I agree with this totally.
    Ship 9 - Kouki Elska

Fact of the matter is, it's always about the majority and what will give them more business. If the majority of the consumers are straight, white males, it's what the medium is mostly going to be catered to, and if you know nothing about another, the assumption is going to be that the other person likes the same thing you do.

PSO2 is a huge example of it, really, along with its community.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-0 View Post
    Fact of the matter is, it's always about the majority and what will give them more business. If the majority of the consumers are straight, white males, it's what the medium is mostly going to be catered to, and if you know nothing about another, the assumption is going to be that the other person likes the same thing you do.

PSO2 is a huge example of it, really, along with its community.
    That hasn't really been a realistic argument in years, if it ever was one in the first place. Market analysis (at least in terms of the games industry and western comics) has shown that women are just as eager if not more eager to buy this kind of content. Focusing so strongly on imagery that drives away women is effectively cutting out half of their potential audience.

The idea that all or most of the content that's created (whether it's anime, comics, games, etc.) should be catering to what publishers perceive to be their largest active demographic is short-sighted and quite frankly, profoundly stupid. It's one thing to be risk averse; it's another to deliberately avoid courting a massive audience that's eager to participate.

Who knows, from an outsider's standpoint it's what's happening. It might not actually be the case, but most video games I play have a lot of fanservice that seemed to be catered towards the straight male audience, as do a lot of things like anime.

There's obviously exceptions, but I don't know that many myself.

Maybe I wasn't clear: You're right in that a lot of games and anime already contain that kind of content. Publishers often say that the reason they do this is because they have to cater to the straight white dudes demographic.

My point is that they can say that all they want, but we're seeing more and more these days that not only is that not the case - there's a financially viable market at least as large as the current one, if not larger - it seems pretty clear that it has never been true.

Making every character into giant-breasted eye candy may cater to a specific category of consumer (which is the consumer they already have), but it excludes way more potential buyers. It's a refusal to try and significantly expand their customer base. It's one of the main reasons superhero comics exist in this ever-shrinking cultural ghetto: they just keep doubling down on the same "hardcore" fans' exclusionary desires without trying to break out and draw in new readers.