Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
Personally, I think its up to an MMO's management staff to deal with RMT as they see fit. While I don't really support it, RMT should NOT be criminal act. Government has no place regulating it.
Though I do agree that the management staff should do all they can to mitigate unauthorized RMT, but I have no qualms with the government regulating it.

Mainly because it's basically the only thing that can actually put an end it from happening while the game is still in service, short of removing any form of in-game tradable good (which just so happens to include things such as characters and accounts, too). Being that RMT is one of the things that can absolutely ruin the gameplay experience for a game (such as is the case with Final Fantasy XI), there should be some punishment associated with it other than to ban their account - because they'll just make a new one, farm money, and get it out the door.

Pro-active as special task forces may be in this manner, it still doesn't change the fact that it's not stopping the problem, only setting it back. It's the difference between a treatment and a cure. Turning the act, when unauthorized by the management staff, into a criminal offense could be an extremely effective treatment, and may be discouraging enough to the business practices to remove the problem, if we're lucky.