Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

To the posters here, is this your first time seeing this review?
    X-play's the shit.
    Well, the really used to be. Alot of their stuff now seems really biased. Like their the fox news of gaming or something.
    AOTS, Attack of the Show is the best show on G4 though.
    Keven Periera and Olivia Munn = awshum.

They are entertaining and funny, but no one on that network is a real 'gamer'. It is a casual gaming network for casual gamers that need to be told what to buy.

I buy games based on other gamer's opinions (message boards), but also mostly on who made it; I bought Phantom Dust because I knew the geniuses behind it were once part of Team Andromeda. I knew BioShock was gonna be the shiznitz because it was made by some of the Looking Glass guys.

Yasminkov Fanboy Waki Miko Syamemaru!'s Avatar

Actually I'm not a fan of G4 at all. They seem very biased against small time games and whore out to all the big names. Personally, I hate Halo, Final Fantasy, and WoW. Yet they make them to be godlike. X-Play to me, WAS the shit. Now it's crap. I ignore all of they're reviews and I'll be the judge of the game myself. They gave FF12 a high score yet to me it was more of like along the lines of getting socks for Christmas. I thought it was that bad. Oh and enjoy this.

the posters here, is this your first time seeing this
    I saw tha episode and yes x-play was good but the repeats ruined it.
    The episode where they did a segment about the hate mail they recieved when they bashed Fullmetal Alchemist was funny.
    Last edited by Noblewine; Aug 3, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Planning to replay PSP2 and prove to myself that the chaining mechanic do not slow down the pace of the combat. =/
    Planning to replay PSU (ep1 and 2) for story and gameplay, PSZ and PSP2 offline mode Only Also I'm keeping my FC for psz up though the Network Mode is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Noblewine View Post
    I saw tha episode and yes x-play was good but the repeats ruined it.
    The episode where they did a segment about the hate mail they recieved when they bashed Fullmetal Alchemist was funny.
    Lol I actually kinda remember that. That was funny.
    They did something very similar to that when they gave FF7 Crisis Core a 2 or 3 out of 5 because the game sucked. lol

That was reasonably polite for how bad offline mode is and how far behind the times the online mode is.
    Getting bored of the typical MMO, enjoying muddling through moonspeak on PSO2.

Random "Nice" Swordsman Calsetes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pinkace View Post
    They are entertaining and funny, but no one on that network is a real 'gamer'. It is a casual gaming network for casual gamers that need to be told what to buy.

I buy games based on other gamer's opinions (message boards), but also mostly on who made it; I bought Phantom Dust because I knew the geniuses behind it were once part of Team Andromeda. I knew BioShock was gonna be the shiznitz because it was made by some of the Looking Glass guys.
    Yeah, I used to like it when people reviewed games and used nothing but the game as a scale of itself. Most reviews nowadays (hell, for the past 5 years or so, maybe?) just do a basic "This game is a carbon copy of this other really popular game, and we're in a bad mood, so it fails to imitate the game exactly and gets a 1/5." Sometimes, it's "This game imitates this game, but it imitates it too much, and therefore sucks by proxy. 1/5." Other times, "This game is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from any other game out there, despite the fact that it's made with the same setup and play style as this other really popular game we use as a measuring stick! 80/5!"

Now granted, if it's something that's in a similar vein as something else, like any of the Warriors games (I'm talking Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, Gundam Dynasty Warriors, etc.), then it's perfectly reasonable to relate them to themselves, as they are almost the same game by design. However, relating something like... let's say Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl to something like Halo isn't really too viable an option - on one hand, you have a level-based shooter that's very linear in its presentation (which isn't a bad thing), and on the other, you have an open-ended shooter with almost an RPG-esque system of interacting with people, buying and selling loot, etc. They're both shooters, but they're still different games.

Plus, the VG Cats comic pretty much hit it square on the head as to what's wrong with X-Play specifically. It's a video game review show, not a video game SNL. We have Code Monkeys for that....

Anyway, sorry for the rant - it's just something that bothers me a bit about how reviewers do stuff nowadays. Things like the Tomb Raider / Kane & Lynch thing don't help matters much, either.
    Stupid, stupid rat creatures!

I personally can't watch G4 anymore...I mean, almost all they show on that channel is Cops and Cheaters. Attack of the Show gets on my nerves cause they try to be so funny, but they just can't seem to pull it off imo. Remember before TechTV ruined themselves by merging with G4? Man, Screensavers was the best...

Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
    I personally can't watch G4 anymore...I mean, almost all they show on that channel is Cops and Cheaters. Attack of the Show gets on my nerves cause they try to be so funny, but they just can't seem to pull it off imo. Remember before TechTV ruined themselves by merging with G4? Man, Screensavers was the best...
    That's funny because G4 is more successful now than it or TechTV has ever been.

Random "Nice" Swordsman Calsetes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeTippedGun View Post
    That's funny because G4 is more successful now than it or TechTV has ever been.
    That's because they have Ninja Warrior and Banzuke and all those other japanese game shows that people watch because (people usually fall into one or two of the following):

1. They like to laugh at the silly Japanese people getting hurt,

2. They want to be Japanese,

3. They actually think the stuff they do is impressive.

Back when it was all technical stuff, the only people who watched it were people who said, "I want to learn more about how this 'computer' thing works. You mean that's a CD drive, and not a cup holder?" It was good, but it was catering to a somewhat small demographic. Like anyone else, they tried to expand and get bigger, and it just got out of hand and became some kind of "technology-oriented non-technological network."

At least, that's what I seem to see on it anymore - like the other guys said, nothing but Cops, Cheaters, X-Play (which has gone really far downhill), and some random Japanese game show brought over here. I don't think they even show Code Monkeys anymore, and that was somewhat decent, if a bit raunchy.
    Stupid, stupid rat creatures!