Lightbulb Science says what I've been saying all along.

Tetris makes your brain more awesomer.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M., Sept. 1 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Researchers at the Mind Research Network today announced the findings of a scientific study that used brain imaging and Tetris to investigate whether practice makes the brain efficient because it increases gray matter. Over a three-month period, adolescent girls practiced Tetris, a computer game requiring a combination of cognitive skills. The girls who practiced showed greater brain efficiency, consistent with earlier studies. Compared to controls, the girls that practiced also had a thicker cortex, but not in the same brain areas where efficiency occurred.
    Article: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...s,943856.shtml
    PDF report: http://www.biomedcentral.com/imedia/...34_article.pdf

Now I have to track down all those people who were telling me that video games rot your brain. Also, I have to track down the jackasses from my college classes who would talk crap about me playing Tetris during breaks.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Kitty the Tigergirl Aisha_Clan-Clan's Avatar

Neat find. =^.^=
    =~.^=

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Personally, I can't stand Tetris, but all puzzle games show some level of improvement in pattern recognition and cognitive skills.

The brain can be exercised just like any muscle in your body. Tetris requires you to make logical choices at a progressively faster rate. It follows that Tetris would register some degree of improvement in cognition.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Tetris is more enjoyable for women anyway, so the study doesn't count.

Proof:

Spoiler!

Haha that was such a stupid song, but for some reason, I watched the whole thing.

Stupid yet catchy so it deserves a high five.

*Fires up Tetris*

Of course playing Tetris can make you smarter! It teaches spatial and organizational skills at a steady to fast pace, and it also helps improve hand-eye coordination, like any other video game. It was developed by a Russian mathematician, after all. Anyone who says video games don't make you smarter are probably the same people who only watch other people play them for about a minute and think they're a waste of time, and/or have poor coordination skills themselves.

Still, I find it kinda odd that women tend to enjoy Tetris more (funny video, btw), but now that you mention it, I knew a girl in high school band that liked to always beat my high scores. :3

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

Thought this was already proven/obvious...

I used to love Tetris, it was one of my favorite Game Boy games. :3 Those songs were really catchy too, they're still stuck in my head even though I haven't played the game in 10+ years! If I start humming it my sister will start humming it too. I'm not surprised by that article at all since you have to learn to think faster to keep up at the higher levels.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^