Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Pretty good stuff so far, I'll have to read the first two!

Thanks, it's always nice to hear people are enjoying your work.

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Heidi sat quietly on the bed in her room on the Guardians Colony staring at the little red and white floating ball with eyes that was her partner machine. She decided to name it Arianna but she quickly found it wasn’t much for conversation. She had just recently completed basic training and now awaited her appointment with her new instructor. She turned her attention to the clock which slowly ticked away the seconds. Heidi finally stood up and entered the bathroom to check her appearance in the mirror one last time. She now sported a pink and white flower in her hair. She was wearing a blue short top from Moatoob with matching brown gloves with little claws on the finger tips. She had a pair of simple blue high cut shorts and ankle high boots that matched her top. She felt the outfit gave her an attractive yet tough look. Her hair was still neatly combed and the only makeup she wore was a little rouge lipstick. She had never been one for wearing all that caked on gunk on her face. She finally exited her room and headed for the fifth floor of Clyez City. This is where the main office of the Guardians was housed. The Guardians office was empty when she arrived, but she was still early so she sat down on one of the benches. A short time later a beast woman dressed in a white overcoat that barely closed in the front, and long pants entered with her young human male partner. Heidi gasped as Laia Martinez strolled up to the front desk looking a little angry.

“What is the meaning of calling us back?” Laia said just holding her anger back.

“I’m sorry Laia but we have a system wide Guardian alert.” Mina shrugged.

“What kind of alert?” Laia frowned.

“Doctor Tomrain has been kidnapped.” Mina replied.

“Ethan.” Laia spat.

“No but it is three Guardians.” Mina shook her head.

“Who?” Laia frowned.

“Iceberg, Isis, and our branch Lou.” Mina sighed.

“That doesn’t make sense.” Laia frowned, “Lou wouldn’t participate in a kidnapping.”

“She has and Dallgun wants all three arrested.” Mina sighed.

“I know those three very well.” Laia frowned, “I wouldn’t put it passed Iceberg but he must have felt it was very important to pull something like this. Isis, well she just goes where ever he goes.”

“Like Ethan?” Mina frowned.

“That’s very different.” Laia shook her head, “Iceberg can be a bit of a trouble maker some times but he’s never tried to assassinate anyone. He holds honour to high for that.”

Laia took her mission report and headed out. Mina turned to Heidi and smiled.

“I’m sorry for the wait Miss Kimble but your instructor should be arriving from Neudaiz any time now.”

“My instructor is a Newman?” Heidi asked hopefully.

“No, he was completing a mission there.” Mina shook her head, “He’s usually late.”

“Oh.” Heidi nodded then returned to her thoughts.

One hour passed with several Guardians coming and going, none of them was her instructor. A tall red and black cast entered accompanied by a blonde female Newman with the largest chest Heidi had ever seen. She was almost jealous until she thought for a moment then decided ones that big would hinder her active lifestyle. The Newman handed Mina some reports then headed to the labs. Heidi assumed that she must be the Maya Shidow that her father had talked about. He hadn’t described her right, probably afraid of mom’s wrath. Heidi chuckled a little at that thought. The red cast stepped up to the desk and displayed his licence.

“You are quite late Mr Phoenix.” Mina smiled.

“Maybe so but my mission was a complete success.” Phoenix stated, “Now, do you have anything more worthy of my talents.”

“I know you’ve been very disappointed with your latest jobs.” Mina sighed, “Just
    remember I don’t make the assignments I just hand them out.”

“Why?” Phoenix asked eyeing her closely.

“You’ve been granted your instructor rating and have been given a student.” Mina replied softly.

“No.” Phoenix said flatly, “No, this is quite enough. I work alone. A partner once in a while maybe but I will not be some ones teacher. I demand a mission worthy of my strength and intelligence.”

“I’m sorry but if you have a problem with your assignment you’ll have to take it up with the Principal.”

“I intend too.” Phoenix growled.

He headed straight for the principals office only to return five minutes later.

“Who is my student?” He mumbled.

“What changed your mind?” Mina smirked.

“Suspension.” Phoenix growled.

“Your student is Miss Heidi Kimble.” Mina pointed.

Heidi stood up and gave Phoenix a small curtsy.

“A female Newman.” Phoenix frowned, “This is a joke right?”

“No joke.” Mina shook her head.

“Of all the students you pair me with you had to stick me with a Newman.” Phoenix shot, “A female no less.”

“And what’s wrong with females?” Mina scowled.

“Or Newmans.” Heidi added.

“They are both weak.” Phoenix stated.

Phoenix stepped up to Heidi and glared down at her making her feel a little uncomfortable.

“Licence please.” Phoenix said.

Heidi quickly handed the tall cast her licence and waited while he studied it.

“Hunter.” Phoenix almost spat, “Shouldn’t you be a force?”

“I didn’t qualify.” Heidi replied weakly, “They said as a force the best I could hope for was maybe a Wartecher.”

“Really, why?” Mina asked.

“I lacked proper technique control.” Heidi replied mocking her evaluator, “ But I possessed unusual agility and defence ability for my species.”

“What weapons do you possess?” Phoenix asked.

“Standard issue sabre and handgun.” Heidi shrugged.

Phoenix studied her for another minute then nodded, “I think Yohmei Corporation will have the equipment you require.”

“Why, because I’m Newman?” Heidi frowned.

“No because they possess the best weapons for your abilities.” Phoenix growled.

“Oh.” Heidi replied softly.

He started to leave but Mina waved him back.

“Don’t forget your mission.”

Phoenix turned back and took the report.

“A mission already?” He frowned, “Shouldn’t we be doing the standard field training?”

“Ethan Waber didn’t even get that.” Mina laughed, “You know we’re too short on people for that. We’re forced to double regular missions as training too.”

“Hmmm.” Phoenix grumbled and headed out.

Heidi followed him quietly to the Neudaiz PPT gate. She could sense he was still very upset and thought it better to remain seen and not heard, though she suspected he would like not seen as well. They quickly found their seats and sat back as the flyer lifted off.

“You’re line shield will need upgrading too.” Phoenix finally said.

“Really?” Heidi frowned.

“Your base armour is insufficient to protect you from the vacuum of space.” Phoenix said.

“Vacuum of space!” Heidi gasped.

The other passengers all turned and stared at her. She quickly sank in her seat giving them a weak wave.

“Yes, we are headed to Neudaiz moon to assist Doctor Tomrain and the other Guardians with the wreck site.” Phoenix said.

“Wreck site?” Heidi frowned as she stared out the window.

“A couple friends of mine discovered a crashed space craft there.” Phoenix explained, “It turns out that was one of the reasons they kidnapped Doctor Tomrain, though I doubt it was a real kidnapping.”

“Why is that?”

“Iceberg isn’t the kind of man to do something so illegal.” Phoenix replied, “I have a strong feeling Tomrain willingly went along if not insisted.”

“So what happened?”

“They were communicating with Maya in the new relics site on Neudaiz.” Phoenix said, “I was standing guard. Another simple mission far below my talents. The Guardians seem determined to give me such assignments lately.”

“And now you’re stuck with me.” Heidi nodded and turned back to her window, “I’m sorry.”

“They discovered a piece of an ancient space craft on the moon. They went in to investigate.” Phoenix paused for a moment, “The last communication was Icebergs partner Isis radioing for possible dates for the crash. Laia and her new trainee Rolf have been sent to rescue and arrest them. We are to assist.”

“Are we going to assist in arresting them?” Heidi asked looking up at the cast.

“We are going to rescue them.” Phoenix replied, “Nothing more.”

“Gottcha.” Heidi nodded.

“The problem is they only have their line shields for protection and air.” Phoenix said, “They will be approaching the maximum safe limit for vacuum exposure shortly. Lou won’t have a problem as she is a cast but the others will start to suffer from hypothermia soon. Isis is a beast so her thin layer of fur will add a little protection but not much. Especially the way she dresses.”

“How does she dress?” Heidi frowned.

Phoenix glared down at her then said, “Like you.”

“Oh.” Heidi said and sank a little into her seat.

Phoenix was the first off the flyer. Heidi got caught up in the crowd and took a little longer. Once off Phoenix quickly ushered her to the Yohmei shop. He stopped at the armour booth first

“Sori-senba please.”

The girl at the desk handed him the armour as Phoenix quickly paid her then shoved the line shield device into Heidi’s hands. She removed her old one and equipped the new
    one while Phoenix hurried over to the weapons booth. He returned with a pair of green daggers.

“You may start with these.” He said handing her the weapons, “Your training report said you were most proficient with this weapon and I require you to be at top efficiency.”

“I did like them.” Heidi nodded.

“I prefer knuckles myself.” Phoenix said.

“He quickly left the shop with Heidi on his tail and headed over to the flyer shop. She started to follow Phoenix inside but a poster on the wall stopped her. It was a wanted poster for a dark skinned man with a greyish blue beard and hair and wearing orange tinted glasses. There was a blue haired beast woman beside him and a Lou unit pictured below them. Phoenix reappeared at the corner of the entrance.

“We must hurry Miss Kimble.” He said.

“Are these your friends?” Heidi asked.

“They are.” Phoenix nodded, “We must reach them before Laia does.”

“She has an hour head start you know.” Heidi replied.

“Yes, I knew they were delaying me here for a reason.” Phoenix grumbled.

He disappeared inside and Heidi rushed to catch up. The flyers at the base were designed for atmospheric flight and didn’t normally fly in space but they were capable if necessary. With flights being cut down at the PPT terminals Phoenix figured it would be quicker to get a flyer here. He was right. The beast girl at the desk quickly handed him the access card. Heidi paused a moment to stare at the girl. It was the first time she had seen a beast working on Neudaiz.

“Miss Kimble quickly.” Phoenix called.

Heidi took one last look at the poster on the wall then followed Phoenix inside.
    Last edited by Freeze; Feb 22, 2010 at 04:56 PM.

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

I read the first chapter and a half of this one and got interested so I started reading your others...got some ways into the first, but haven't had a whole lot of time lately to do much of anything...

Good work so far, though! Keep up the AWESOME!

Honorary GUARDIAN

A very good fan fic here, I should consider editing mine a bit. Maybe that'll get it some comments. I already have two chapters and no replies, and I don't want to risk a triple posting.

CHAPTER TWELVE

Iceberg awoke to the scowling face of Laia Martinez. He groaned softly and slowly sat up. Lou was up attending to Doctor Tomrain and Laia’s partner, Rolf, was tending to Isis.

“You are lucky to be alive.” Laia growled, “What were you thinking bringing Tomrain here?”

“He’s the fore most authority on A-photons.” Iceberg replied as he slowly sat up, “We had an A-photon problem that demanded his attention.”

He climbed to his feet and stretched out his aching muscles. His head still hurt from where the purple cast had hit him with its scythe. He had no doubt that if he had not had his line shield equipped he would be dead right now. The heaters that the Guardians had brought felt very good as the chill slowly drained from his body.

“You know you only have limited exposure when using just your line shield.” Laia scolded him, “Why did you stay so long.”

“It was not my intention.” Iceberg replied.

“We were attacked.” Isis said as she climbed to her feet.

“Attacked by who?” Laia frowned.

“It was a purple and black cast of unknown design.” Lou replied.

“Did you see the strange symbol on the center of his chest?” Tomrain asked, “I wonder what it means.”

“Slow down.” Laia waved, “What are you talking about, and what happened to your flyer?”

“The cast must have taken it.” Iceberg said.

“I’ve never seen anyone move that fast before.” Isis shook her head.

“Are you saying we have a hostile alien flying around in one of our flyers?” Laia gasped.

Iceberg and Isis both nodded and said, “Yes.”

“Better than that.” Tomrain smiled, “He may be of ancient origin.”

“Really?” Rolf asked excitedly.

“Maybe but I think Lou would disagree.” Isis said.

Lou nodded, “I believe there is only a nine percent probability that this cast is an ancient belonging to the beings that created the relics.”

“Why is that?” Laia shrugged.

“The technology of this ship does not match that found in the relics.” Lou replied.

“Good enough reason.” Iceberg smirked.

“Say, he did ask about a ranger.” Isis said, “Someone named Deepfreeze.”

“I’ve never heard of any Guardian by that name.” Laia frowned.

“He also seemed to thing that this ranger was looking for something.” Isis continued, “Some thing he was also looking for.”

“No time has passed for him so what ever drove him here must still be driving him.” Tomrain said.

“I sense great evil from him.” Iceberg frowned, “We must stop him.”

“Perhaps the data cards from the computer core will tell us something.” Isis suggested.

“Return to the flyer with Lou and Tomrain then.” Laia nodded, “I’d like to have a closer look at this wreck.”

“As do I.” Iceberg said.

“Officially you’re under arrest.” Laia smirked, “But I’ll arrest you after we return to the colony.”

“You do understand why I did what I did.” Iceberg said.

“Yes.” Laia nodded, “I would have done the same thing. I’ll see if I can talk to Dallgun about going easy on you.”

“I would appreciate it Laia.” Iceberg smiled slightly.

“What are friends for?” Laia shrugged.

They were interrupted by Laia’s communicator.

“Go ahead.”

“This is Phoenix, I am approaching the moon.”

“Good, we found the Guardians and everyone is alright.” Laia said.

“That is good to hear.” Phoenix said, “Shall I land and assist you?”

“No need, just remain in orbit and stand by.” Laia replied.

“Very well.” Phoenix said sounding a little disappointed.

Laia turned to Iceberg, “Shall we have a look around.”

“After you.” Iceberg waved.

Laia headed back up the ladder with Iceberg right behind her and Rolf bringing up the rear. Isis remained behind to help Tomrain, Lou and the other Guardians with the clean up.

Phoenix brought the flyer into geosynchronous orbit then leaned back in his chair letting out a deep sigh. Heidi starred at him for a moment.

“I never heard a cast sigh before.” She said softly.

“Have you had much exposure to casts?” Phoenix muttered.

“Not really.” Heidi shrugged and began to stare out at the moon.

“Just as I figured.” Phoenix said, “We casts generally don’t like being on Neudaiz. You Newmans give us the creeps. Of all the species you are the most illogical.”

“Tell me about it.” Heidi muttered softly enough that Phoenix couldn’t hear her.

“Do not take my hostility towards you personally.” Phoenix continued, “I am not angry with you. It is the Guardians who have ticked me off and you are the instrument they use to infuriate me.”

“Now that my friends have been arrested I find myself without someone who believes in the same thing I do. Iceberg could have been my brother if he was a cast, shame he isn’t. His biggest fault is his compassion for the inferior species, partnering with a beast. I couldn’t believe it when he told me. I had hoped we could have been partners. What a glorious team we would have made. Two invincible warriors patrolling Gurhal. There wouldn’t be this Illuminus problem I tell you. Instead he went with that beast woman. I haven’t worked with a partner since and now I’m stuck with you.”

Heidi barely heard a word Phoenix said, something on the surface of the moon had caught her eye. It was just on the horizon to the right of the crash site. It was a small intent in the smooth curvature of the moon. It was too straight to be the edge of a meteorite impact. She quickly turned and tapped Phoenix shoulder.

“Look over there.” She said pointing to the spot, “I think there is a groove or ditch in the moon.”

“There are only impact and seismic features on the moon.” Phoenix replied, “I’m sure it’s just a fault crack.”

“Doesn’t look like a crack.” Heidi replied, “Looks like a ditch created when something crash lands.”

“You’ve seen many then.” Phoenix smirked.

“My dad has shown me pictures of the crash sites he’s had to investigate.” Heidi replied, “Small flyers like this just break apart and some times leave a small crater but when something big crashes like a rogue cruiser or an AMF ship crash lands it leave a ditch like that. This one looks like its slowly being filled in but I think we should check it out.”

Phoenix let out a deep sigh and climbed from his seat. He moved in front of Heidi and looked out the side of the flyers canopy.

“Where?” He grumbled.

“There right at the moons horizon.” Heidi said placing her finger against the glass.

“Hmmm.” Phoenix nodded, “It does look suspicious. We shall investigate.”

Heidi sat back in her seat feeling rather proud of herself. Phoenix sat down and brought the flyer around to the spot Heidi had seen. A quick scan revealed that the ditch was created by a crashed object. It took a few minutes to penetrate the dust and debris that had mostly filled the ditch in. At the bottom Phoenix picked up traces of an unknown metal.

“You may be correct.” He said, “I am detecting pieces of metal scattered all along the base of this ditch.”

“Look there.” Heidi pointed, “That big hill at the end of the ditch.”

“Could be what we are looking for.” Phoenix nodded.

He brought the ship around and set it down close to the hill. He climbed from his seat and opened up a supply cabinet at the rear of the cabin. He pulled out an oxygen unit and handed it to Heidi.

“Equip this to your line shield.” He said.

She nodded and did as he instructed.

“Mr. Phoenix, in school they taught us about the early space projects including exploration of the moons. How come they never discovered this before?”

“Those missions were interrupted by the racial war.” Phoenix replied, “The war, as devastating as it was, created great leaps in technological development. By the time the war was over we had moved beyond the need for expensive and time consuming moon exploration. It was decided that these missions provided no benefit and resources would be better spent on planetary development.”

He made sure Heidi's equipment was operating correctly and that their COM channels were open.

“It appears we were wrong.” Phoenix said, “Prepare yourself, it is about to get very cold.”

“I’m from northern Neudaiz.” Heidi smiled, “I think I can handle the cold.”

“That boast would have more meaning if you were coming from the ice plains of Moatoob.” Phoenix replied.

“Where?” Heidi frowned.

“The winters on Neudaiz are nothing compared to the winters in the north of Moatoob.” Phoenix frowned, “Cold enough to freeze a man solid if he’s not careful.”

He hit the hatch release depressurizing the flyer. Heidi was hit by an intense cold that she was not prepared for. She wrapped her arms tight and shivered. Phoenix appeared to be smiling at her taking far too much pleasure in her discomfort.

“Come.” He said, “You don’t have much time.”

“Why?” Heidi asked.

“You are allotted one half hour exposure to the vacuum.” Phoenix replied stepping onto the surface.

“Let’s hurry then.” Heidi quipped and rushed out.

She was stopped by the amazing view before her. She had never seen her home planet from this angle and from this close. Seeing it from a ships window or from a window on the Guardians colony couldn’t compare to the view before her. Neudaiz was so green and blue hanging in space. It was so crisp and clean. Even the stars shone brighter here. She could see Moatoob and its rings behind the flyer. It was just disappearing below the surface. Parum was to her right and much smaller. She could just make out the small silver cylinder that was the Guardians colony. She watched as a small meteoroid went flying by entering Neudaiz atmosphere and bursting into a small fire ball. It only lasted a second but it seemed to last a lot longer. She no longer felt cold as she tried to take the entire view in. Phoenix had already begun digging around the ship. Heidi sighed. She wanted to stare up at the sky forever but she knew she had to help. With their handguns set on low they blasted away the dust and rock that had buried the ship many years ago. It was the back half of the ship with its two engines resting on the ground. The front end had dug into the rock sealing up the open end. They wouldn’t be able to dig that end out. Phoenix was hoping they could enter through the hole in the front but now they had to look for a hatch. Heidi found some foot holds that allowed her to climb up to the top. She suspected they might have been used by maintenance personnel when the ship was new. She carefully walked along the top but she was not used to the low gravity and didn’t see the latch but her foot found it. She tripped and landed on her face. It didn’t hurt as the fall was much slower that usual and her line shield absorbed the rest of the impact. Phoenix sighed in annoyance at his student’s clumsiness. He quickly climbed to the top as Heidi tried moving the latch. It was much too solid for her and even Phoenix had trouble moving it. He pulled the hatch open and looked down into the darkness. He equipped his goggles and climbed down the ladder to the metal deck below. Heidi came down after him but she missed a rung and came crashing down landing on her butt. This time it did hurt. Phoenix proceeded to the rear of the ship. He found a couple empty crew quarters along the way. The engine room contained the remains of a large photon ion drive. Phoenix stood staring at it. Heidi looked around him and gasped.

“What is it?”

“The engine.” Phoenix replied, “But it’s like nothing I’ve seen before. The smaller ones I do recognise as photon drives for sub light drive.”

Heidi nodded as she looked at the two cylindrical engines lying flat mounted on each side of the room. Her gaze came back to the large caldron like structure sitting between the two engines. She could make out what looked like clear windows mounted at various spots across the bowl that sat at the center. A large metal tube extended out of the top of the caldron then exited through the back of the engine room.

“If these beings are aliens then wouldn’t they need some kind of faster than light travel?” Heidi asked, “Or maybe some kind of wormhole.”

“I would say so.” Phoenix nodded.

“This might be that engine.” Heidi said.

“Very astute.” Phoenix nodded.

“Imagine, faster than light travel.” Heidi gasped.

Phoenix looked down at the young Newman woman and tilted his head. He was having trouble figuring this one out. One minute she seemed to be just another inferior specimen and the next she showed great insight and wisdom far beyond her years. This troubled Phoenix. He didn’t like enigmas and she was turning out to be one. He couldn’t decide if he was starting to admire his student or really hate her.

“We should tell some one what we’ve found.” Heidi said breaking his train of thought.

“We will.” Phoenix said, “When I’ve finished looking around.”

Phoenix abruptly turned and headed back down the corridor.

“Where are you going now?” Heidi asked.

“There should be at least another deck in a ship this size.” Phoenix replied, “I intend to find it.”

“Well that shouldn’t be too hard.” Heidi said to herself, “Just look for the stairs.”

She started to follow Phoenix back. Her hand softly ran across the metal wall as she slowly followed the cast back down the corridor, she wasn’t even aware of it. As she went she found herself feeling much lighter that she should even in half gravity. It was almost like a dream as Phoenix disappeared into the darkness. She stopped and softly tilted her head.

“That’s the wrong way.” Heidi said softly.

She slowly looked around then moved forward a few steps stopping at a pressure door. She reached out and lightly touched it. The door creaked open and she stepped inside. Her vision blacked out as she passed through the door but returned at the other side. She was standing in a connecting hallway that lead to the corridor on the far side of the ship. She sleepily walked down the hallway and into the next corridor. She turned right walked until she found a circular hatch in the wall.

“This is not the stairs.” She said, “But it will do.”

Phoenix appeared at the far end of the corridor just as she pulled the hatch open.

“How did you get here before me?” He asked as he ran up to her.

She didn’t answer but he saw the connecting hallway she had come through.

“How did you know that was there?” He asked.

She still didn’t answer him; instead she stepped into the hatch and began to climb down.

“Heidi, are you feeling alright?” Phoenix asked.

He could see something was not right with the girl and he was actually troubled by this. He followed her down into the lower deck. It was a large room filled with cargo containers. At the far wall near the hull breach sat three large capsules. One was fixed on the floor in the center of the room. The other two were fastened upright against the wall. The one on the right had a dim flickering light on its panel. She shook her head bringing her out of the dream state and back to reality. She walked over to the capsule and tried to peer inside but she wasn’t quite tall enough. Phoenix stepped up beside her and tried to look in the small window but it was too scratched up from the crash.

“Looks like a storage tube.” He said.

“Stasis I think.” Heidi replied, “For long journeys.”

“You seem to know an awful lot about this.” Phoenix frowned.

“Do I?” Heidi said moving to the panel.

She reached out and wiped the dust from the panel. As she did one of the buttons beeped and there was a soft click as the lid swung open. Heidi jumped back with surprise. Phoenix cautiously looked around the door. Inside was a large bulky red and black cast. It was a design she had never seen before. The cast was cradling a small metallic blue legless fox. Neither machine appeared to be functioning.

“Phoenix, have you ever…” She gasped.

“No, I have not.” Phoenix replied, “I believe now it is time to report in.”

He tapped his communicator and waited for Laia to respond.

“I wonder if it’s still alive.” Heidi said softly.

“After all this time I doubt it.” Phoenix replied, “Laia do you read?

“Go Phoenix.” Laia replied, “Where are you? We’ve lost you on our sensors. We’re ready to lift off.”

“We’ve landed next to another crash site.” Phoenix replied, “You’ll see us once you’re back in orbit. Get over here, we found a cast in what Heidi believes is a stasis tube.”

“You found what?” Laia exclaimed, “Wait who thinks what?”

“Heidi believes it is a stasis pod for long space travel.” Phoenix said, “I believe she is right.”

“Your trainee?” Laia gasped.

“That has been my conclusion as well.” Tomrain broke in, “That must be a remarkable young woman you have there.”

“Yes, she’s full of surprises.” Phoenix grumbled.

Heidi stared up at the large cast trying to figure out why the sight of this alien machine felt so familiar. She had never seen anything like this and yet she felt like giving it a big hug, like one might give a close friend that you haven’t seen for a long time. Slowly she turned away and looked up at her cast instructor then back at the alien. This actually gave Phoenix the creeps.

“I have never seen this thing before.” Heidi said softly, “And yet it seems so familiar.”

“How so?” Phoenix frowned.

“I don’t know.” Heidi shook her head, “Like some one I knew long ago.”

“That is not possible.” Phoenix stated.

“I know but I also know what I feel.” Heidi shook her head.

“You must learn to control yourself.” Phoenix said, “A warrior without control is doomed to failure.”

“What if these feelings are the key to all this?” Heidi turned and glared at him.

Phoenix had no answer.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

STAND BY FOR SYSTEM BOOT

ACCESSING MAIN OPERATING SYSTEM

SYSTEM FOUND

BOOTING PRIMARY BASE PROGRAM

ACCESSING SECONDARY SYSTEMS

STAND BY FOR SYSTEM CHECK

CHECK OK

ACTIVATING PRIMARY ENERGY CORE

WARNING: ENERGY CORE POWER LEVEL LOW

BOOTING MAIN SYSTEMS

ACTIVATING RECHARGE SYSTEM

FUEL SUPPLY LOW

ACTIVATING SECONDARY SYSTEMS

SECONDARY SYSTEMS ONLINE

Heidi watched the information scroll across the screen as Doctor Tomrain slowly reactivated the cast’s main processor core. Using equipment and three teams of Guardians in pressure suits, they managed to remove the giant cast from the spacecraft and brought him back to the colony. The power in the stasis tube had drained too much to revive him. Lou had estimated another twelve days before the power would have dropped to low to maintain his memory core. The cast now lay still on the lab table with lines of wires connected to every port they could find. It had taken the scientists a couple hours to convert the connectors to the cast’s ports using ones they salvaged from the ship then using the data cards Lou had brought back they reprogrammed their computer to talk to him. They had tried to lock Heidi and Phoenix out but Phoenix convinced them that since his team had found it they should be there. It didn’t hurt either that Tomrain believed Heidi when she told him about her strange feelings. She now felt like she was part of an experiment instead of an observer. She leaned over the table and looked into the dark visor that covered his optical sensors.

“We should see something shortly.” Tomrain said.

“How will we know?” Heidi asked.

“Amanda?” The cast asked softly.

“Yipe!” Heidi yelped and jumped back.

When the cast failed to do anything more she slowly returned to her position.

“Hello.” She said slowly.

“Amanda is that you?” The cast asked, “You look so young.”

“Uh no, I’m not Amanda.” Heidi blushed.

“You look just like her.” The cast said.

“Who is Amanda?” Tomrain asked.

“A friend.” The cast replied, “She was traveling in my ship.”

“There was no one else aboard.” Tomrain said.

“That was not my ship.” The cast replied, “Wait, no one?”

“Another team did find a cast in the other half of the ship.” Phoenix said.

“Did he survive?” The cast asked.

“He attacked our team.” Phoenix said.

“He must be stopped.” The cast tried to sit up.

“Easy.” Tomrain said pushing him back down, “You’re not at a hundred percent yet.”

“Who are you?” Heidi asked.

“My name is Cerberus.” The cast replied, “RAcast, Hunters Guild section I.D.
    Oran.”

“I’m Heidi, pleased to meet you.” Heidi grinned.

“Are you sure you’re not Amanda?” Cerberus smiled and slowly sat up.

“Quite sure.” Heidi nodded.

“Well you are the spitting image of her.” Cerberus smiled, “Where am I?”

“This is a lab on the Guardians Colony.” Tomrain replied, “In the Gurhal system.”

“I’ve never heard of such a place.” Cerberus shook his head, “When we passed through the wormhole I remember seeing a star system with a single sun and three planets in close orbit.”

“That’s Gurhal.” Heidi nodded.

“The planets were at war with each other.” Cerberus said, “We were hit by one of the missiles launched from one of the planets. I don’t think we were a target; we just got in the way. The other ship was hit bad and decompressed so I was the only one capable of boarding. I faced off against the other android, Kireek, but the ship was hit again and began to break up. I knew we were going down so I locked myself in a stasis pod to protect me from the crash. Kireek must have done the same.”

“That confirms they are not ancients.” Tomrain sighed.

“Never doubted Lou for a minute.” Phoenix grumbled.

“That war ended just over a hundred years ago.” Tomrain said.

“We had a real nice party going too until the Seed decided to crash it.” Phoenix grumbled.

“Wait, I’ve been trapped on that ship for a hundred years?” Cerberus gasped.

“Perhaps longer.” Phoenix said, “We have no idea when you got here.”

Tomrain nodded. Heidi looked up at Phoenix for a minute then turned to Cerberus.

“This Kireek you mentioned. He was a cast on the other half of the ship.” Heidi said then turned to Phoenix, “And you knew he attacked the Guardians there?”

“Laia informed me when we got back.” Phoenix nodded.

“When were you going to tell me?” Heidi gave him a shot.

“Kireek is very dangerous and we must go after him.” Cerberus said.

“The cast that attacked our team was described as tall slender and coloured purple with black accents.” Phoenix said.

“That’s him.” Cerberus nodded.

“What did you just say?” Heidi gasped staring wide eyed at Phoenix.

“What’s the matter girl?” Tomrain said softly grabbing her arm, “You look as though someone just told you a relative died.”

“He’s a purple and black hunter android with yellow eyes…” Cerberus began.

“And three white dots on his forehead.” Heidi finished.

“Yes, how did you…” Cerberus started too asked.

“I’ve seen him.” Heidi said, “The cast that haunts my nightmares. Every full moon.”

“How is it that you’ve dreamed of an android you’ve never seen?” Cerberus frowned, “Who are you?”

The door to the lab slid open and in walked President Dallgun followed by Leo and Jon who immediately ran to his daughter.

“Heidi are you alright?”

“No dad, I just found out the cast from my dreams is real.” Heidi replied.

“What, how?” Jon frowned.

Heidi nodded to the bulky red and black cast sitting on the table.

“You!” Jon gasped, “I thought you were just an old family legend.”

“I’m afraid you have me at a disadvantage.” Cerberus shook his head.

“My name is Jonathan Kimble.” Jon said.

“Jonathan Kimble.” Cerberus gasped, “You are a Newman.”

Cerberus climbed off the table and walked over to Jon and stared him right in the face.

“Yes, you have his eyes.” Cerberus said, “This explains Heidi.”

“What, what explains me?” Heidi asked looking up at the two men.

“That’s what I’d like to know.” Dallgun said.

“Heidi is the first woman born into our family as far back as our history here in Gurhal goes.” Jon said.

“Amanda’s father was human and her mother was Newman and they had two daughters.” Cerberus frowned, “Are you telling me there’s been none since then.”

Jon nodded, “The recorded family history states she was the first human Newman hybrid.”

“First recorded hybrid.” Cerberus nodded, “Amanda's mother was created to breed with a human in an attempt to combine the best genetic traits of each species to create a superhuman. Amanda and her sister were born as hybrids but they had to keep their heritage secret so the scientists and authorities wouldn't find them and take them back as lab animals. On Coral Newmans weren't considered as citizens so they didn't have many rights. She and Deepfreeze married and had a son.”

“That son married one of the Gurhal Newmans,” Jon said, “Must have been her different genetic make up because they did have a child, another son. That son grew up and married and also had a son. That’s when things went weird.”

“Weird?” Heidi frowned.

“They discovered that after the first child he could not father anymore children.” Jon said, “Something in his genes shut him down. It’s kind of been our family curse. We can have only one child. Until now they have all been sons.”

“Because of me, our family name will end.” Heidi sighed and collapsed on a chair.

The others stood in stunned silence. Dallgun crossed his arms and shook his head.

“Are you telling me that your family, this cast, and the one that attacked my Guardians are all aliens?” He pointed at Jon and Cerberus.

“Yes Sir but our DNA has been so diluted by Gurhalian DNA that barely any of it exists any more.” Jon nodded

“Obviously enough still exists.” Cerberus frowned.

“How so?” Jon frowned.

“You Sir look very much like Alexander, Deepfreeze’s son.” Cerberus shrugged, “And Heidi looks just like Amanda.”

“That purple cast was asking about some one named Deepfreeze.” Tomrain said.

“He did become quite a pain in Kireek’s side.” Cerberus smiled.

“So, what you’re all saying is that I’m actually an alien.” Heidi muttered.

“Kireek was searching for an ancient power source so powerful the legend said it had the power to create life.” Cerberus explained.

“How can I be an alien?” Heidi muttered again.

“We were following a star map found in an ancient ruins site on our new planet.” Cerberus continued, “The map lead to a wormhole but no further. We passed thru the wormhole hoping to find the rest of the map here. I am forced to guess that this not the case.”

“I’ve never even heard of such a thing.” Dallgun shook his head slowly.

“The ancients who inhabited Gurhal before us may have.” Tomrain said.

“I always felt a little different from the others girls but to be an alien.” Heidi stared down at her hands.

Jon placed his hand on her shoulder and squeezed it softly.

“Jon.” Cerberus said.

“Yes.” Jon replied.

“Kireek is very dangerous and must be stopped.”

“How dangerous?”

Cerberus began to explain everything starting with the war on Coral, then the Pioneer project, and finally all the events that took place on Ragol. When he finished everyone was very quiet. Dallgun cleared his throat and turned to Leo.

“Inform the front desk to issue a system wide alert. All Guardians and AMF soldiers are to watch for this Kireek and if sighted immediately arrest him.”

“Yes Sir.” Leo nodded and headed out.

“I’ve never seen a man like that before.” Cerberus said nodding at Leo.

“Leo is a beast.” Jon shrugged, “They were genetically engineered for greater strength and physical endurance to withstand harsher environments.”

“I see.” Cerberus said looking around, “Where is Sato?”

“Who is Sato?” Dallgun frowned.

“She’s my Mag.” Cerberus replied, “A little blue mechanical fox.”

“Ah yes.” Tomrain nodded, “We found that with you. Follow me.”

Tomrain lead Cerberus and the others into another room where Sato sat encased in a glass box sitting on a metal table. She perked up wagging her tail and mewed happily.

“Fascinating device.” Tomrain smiled, “Activated shortly after coming to the colony.”

“Why is she in a cage?” Cerberus frowned.

“We didn’t know if it was dangerous so for security sake we keep it locked up.” Tomrain replied.

“Sato is completely harmless.” Cerberus said, “Every hunter is given one when they sign up at the guild. What a Mag becomes depends on how a hunter raises them. Now let her out.”

Tomrain nodded and opened the box. Sato floated up off the table and over to Cerberus who gave her a scratch on the chin. Sato let out a happy little meow.

“She’s so cute.” Heidi smiled.

She walked up to the little fox and gave her a pat on the head. Sato began purring softly, and then floated over to Heidi positioning her self just over Heidi’s left shoulder.

“Well, well looks like you’ve got a new friend.” Cerberus smiled.

“What’s it doing?” Heidi frowned.

“That’s her spot.” Cerberus replied, “She’ll watch over you and protect you.”

“Neat.” Heidi grinned.

“Now, Mr Kimble, I need to see you’re entire family history.” Cerberus said.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Iceberg, Isis, and Lou were seated at the table in the center of the interrogation room. Laia Martinez stood quietly in a corner as AMF’s Fullyen Curtz paced back and forth. Normally security matters would be dealt with internally but because of Doctor Tomrain’s importance the AMF insisted with heading the inquiry. President Dallgun protested said it was a Guardians matter but the Communion of Gurhal and the Trade Federation on Moatoob sided with the AMF. To keep peace in the system Dallgun had no choice but to bow to the wishes of the AMF. The AMF did agree to allow a Guardian to participate to unsure Guardian interests were maintained.

“You three are formally charged with the kidnapping of a protected Gurhal civilian and the disobeying of a direct order from a superior.” Curtz glared, “These are very serious charges. Iceberg, you don’t have a clean record to begin with but this is even a stretch for you.”

“We did not kidnap anyone.” Iceberg replied, “We were escorting Doctor Tomrain on a mission at his request.”

“Doctor Tomrain did confirm this.” Laia nodded.

“Doctor Tomrain is in no position to offer said mission.” Curtz replied.

“So Tomrain is a prisoner with us.” Iceberg muttered.

“That’s enough.” Laia said.

"Doctor Tomrain is under the protection of the Guardians, not a prisoner.” Lou stated, “His personal rights are maintained. Those rights allow him to move freely and perform his duties as he wishes just like any other Gurhal citizen.”

“Does the Lou system agree with your assessment?” Curtz asked.

“I do not know.” Lou shook her head, “I have been temporarily disconnected from the system for the duration of the inquiry.”

“Really.” Curtz smirked.

Lou just stared right back at the cast. Isis was quite proud of the little cast. There weren’t many who could stand up against the intimidating Curtz. A small smirk crept across the beast woman’s face. Curtz glared down at her.

“What is your excuse?”

“I have no excuses.” Isis replied bluntly, “Only my duty.

“And what exactly is that duty?” Curtz glared.

“To protect the citizens of Gurhal from danger.” She stated.

“And how where you doing that by taking a highly respected citizen into a potentially dangerous area?”

“Doctor Tomrain is the most experienced A-photon researcher in Gurhal.” Isis replied, “The situation demanded his presence. Our presence with him was for his safety.”

“If it weren’t for our quick action we never would have learned of the source of the new Kubara weapons and the other artefacts.” Iceberg said.

“Or the crash site containing the alien casts.” Isis added.

“That is all irrelevant.” Curtz waved.

“No it’s not.” Iceberg rebuked, “The primary charge is kidnapping. We were hired by Tomrain for protection during his investigation of the strange A-photon phenomenon. We did not kidnap anyone. As for the second charge I take full responsibility.”

“What?” Lou frowned.

“Iceberg!” Isis gasped.

“It is the honourable thing to do.” Iceberg said proudly.

“Then I accept responsibility too.” Isis said standing up.

“As do I.” Lou said climbing to her feet.

“I agree with you.” Curtz said.

“You do?” Isis frowned, “Really?”

“It shall be in my report but the end result lies with the security counsel.” Curtz said with a shrug, “They shall determine your fate.”

He nodded to Laia then quickly exited through the door. Laia waited until he was gone before sitting down at the table.

“Things are looking good.”

“How do you figure?” Isis sighed.

“Curtz is pretty stubborn. It’s not easy to convince him of something when he’s already made up his mind.” Laia tipped her hand, “He was ready to lock the three of you up and jettison you into space. Having him on your side will pull a lot of weight with the counsel.”

“What about you?” Iceberg raised an eyebrow.

“Me?” Laia shrugged, “I’m glad you did what you did. There’s a lot we don’t know about A-photons but we uncovered a huge chunk of the puzzle today.”

“Yes and created a galaxies worth of new questions.” Isis sighed.

“Look, I’ve got a mission on Moatoob to get to so I’m not going to lock you up.” Laia said, “But you are confined to the colony. Your travel passes have already been suspended.”

“You aren’t going after Ethan are you?” Isis smirked.

“I admit after running into him a couple of times I’m beginning to have my doubts.” Laia sighed.

“Success on your mission.” Iceberg said shaking her hand.

“Thank you, I’ll see you all later.” Laia replied and hurried off.

“So now what?” Isis shrugged.

“Enjoy your time off.” Iceberg shrugged, “Come, I’ll buy you a drink.”

“I’ll go for that.” Isis smiled grabbing Icebergs arm, “I know the perfect place.”

Lou watched them leave then headed back to the Guardians office on the fifth floor.

It is a strange place with strange technology and strange planets, but people are the same. Humans and Newmans were still weak. The androids here are not as advanced but they are still superior to their creatures. These beast creatures are intriguing though. Created by humans from humans, designed with superior strength and endurance to the elements, but as with Newmans the humans gave them lower intelligence so they would not over throw their human masters. They had been used as slaves for hundreds of years before they finally rose up against their human oppressors and after five hundred years of war, peace was established and the four races learned to live as equals, or so you were led to believe. The desert world that had held these beasts prisoner had become their home. Kireek scrolled through the information stored in the flyers data base. These people were technologically inferior to Coral. He would have no trouble conquering these people but that was not his quest. He still needed to find the ancient power. It wasn't here, he could feel that but the answer was here and he intended to find it. The biggest stumbling block was he needed an interstellar space craft which these people did not possess. He would have to build one, but first he needed a place to hide and this desert world showed great promise. It was home to hundreds of abandon mines and caves. Now he just had to find one that would serve his purpose. He brought the flyer around and pitched down to the southern hemisphere. Topographical scans showed several cave entrances as well as vast underground caverns. There he should be able to stock pile enough parts to convert his flyer into a starship. He dropped the flyer down into a large trench that housed a cave entrance large enough for the flyer. He banked around, dropped under, and popped over rock bridges, spikes and over hangs. Kireek brought the flyer around a soft bend in the canyon then straightened for the cave entrance. An explosion just outside the cockpit shook the flyer violently. Kireek growled softly. How dare some one attack him? Again the flyer rocked from a nearby explosion. Proximity blasts. They weren't trying to destroy him, only bring him down. They would fail, and then he would make them pay. Kireek pushed the throttle forward driving at the cave. The attacks became more frequent giving the flyer a hard time at maintaining flight. Alarms began to sound all around him. Kireek knew he was going down but if he angled it right he could still make the cave. One final blast knocked out the engines and the flyer began to drop. Kireek fought to maintain altitude but it was no use. The flyer impacted hard against the cave lip, bounced up and skidded across the cave floor finally coming to a stop against the back wall. Kireek pulled himself from the pilot seat and quickly disembarked from the craft only to find him self surrounded by cast soldiers. He gripped his Soul Eater tightly and quickly assessed his situation. A normal android would have been forced to surrender but Kireek was no ordinary android. He calculated he could take out five before they could even fire off a single shot. The rest would be easy to avoid. He was not the one that needed to surrender.

"Why are you here?" A deep metallic voice boomed.

"Show yourself!" Kireek demanded.

A tall maroon and black cast with solid white eyes stepped forward. Kireek gave him the once over then dismissed him as a threat.

"I ask again, why are you here?" The cast asked.

"That is no concern of yours." Kireek replied.

"Since you are in our territory I think it is." The cast said.

"I answer to no one." Kireek frowned, "I shall not answer to you."

"If I were you, I'd be a little less confident." The cast smirked, "We have you surrounded."

"You and your little toys are no threat to me." Kireek laughed.
    "Really." The cast replied, "I see it differently."

"That is because you are an inferior android." Kireek scowled.

"I am cast. Renvolt Magashi of the Illuminus." He yelled, "And I will destroy you."

With lightning fast speed Kireek leaped forward taking down six soldiers before they could even aim. Better than he had calculated, Kireek was feeling very proud of himself. A soldier fired just missing Kireek's shoulder. With fluid motion, Kireek swung the Soul Eater in a graceful upward arc slicing through the casts upper torso, then brought the weapon back down taking out his partner. Kireek continued his swift and seamless dance of death taking down the final three soldiers leaving only Magashi.

"Taking out pathetic foot soldiers is hardly impressive." Magashi said looking quite smug.

"I am not here to impress you or anyone else." Kireek growled.

"For shame, it might have saved your life." Magashi shrugged.

"I give you fair warning, which is some thing I don't normally do for my opponents." Kireek smirked, "You don't want to fight me. You will not survive."

"It is you who will not survive."

Magashi charged forward drawing a twin sabre from something on his back. Kireek smirked at the androids poor choice of weapons. No wait, what was it the android had called himself? A cast. Kireek found it interesting that this cast had made such an emotional effort to emphasize the difference. Magashi swung at Kireek with precision and skill. Kireek found him self slightly impressed. He blocked the attack with the shield on his left arm then kicked Magashi back.

"You have a very good line shield but it will not save you." Magashi grinned and charged again.

"I grow tired of your empty threats." Kireek frowned while blocking the attack with his weapon.

Kireek pushed Magashi back then swung at the cast. Magashi had no chance to defend taking the blade of the Soul Eater in the chest. Magashi roared as the scythe quickly drained his power. Kireek pulled the weapon free then pushed the dead cast over with his foot.

"No soul." Kireek frowned, "Not even a real cast, just a pathetic clone."

"Very impressive." A voice slithered from the shadows.

"Show yourself clone so I may dispatch you as well." Kireek demanded.

"Relax, I am not here to fight you." Another Magashi stepped from the shadows, "It has been determined that it would be better to have you as an ally rather than an enemy."

"I am not here to make ally's." Kireek growled.

"Perhaps not but your wrecked flyer says otherwise." Magashi pointed.

"No thanks to you." Kireek growled.

"We must protect ourselves." Magashi shrugged, "You could have been a Guardian."

"A what?" Kireek frowned then shook his head, "Never mind, who are you?"

"We are the Illuminus." Magashi replied, "An underground human supremacy movement bent to restore humanity as the dominant species."

"Why would a cast be involved in such a pathetic movement?"

"I must obey my programming." Magashi sighed, "And that means I must obey my creator. The original Magashi was commander of the Endrum Collective, a secret military division of the AMF. It was disbanded after its true intensions were revealed. The original Magashi died at the hands of the Guardian Ethan Waber."

"I do not know nor care who that is." Kireek waved.

"You should." Magashi fumed pointing a sharp finger, "He is a thorn in our side and has been snooping around our facilities."

"Your trivial concerns are yours alone." Kireek waved him off.

"Our trivial concerns are now your trivial concerns." Magashi smirked, "You've crashed in the Illuminus head base of operations. If Ethan finds us here he will find you as well."

"I don't plan on staying here very long." Kireek shrugged.

"You're still going to need us to get you your repair parts." Magashi smirked, "Help us and we will help you."

"Get me everything I require and I will aid you." Kireek nodded.

"Perfect." Magashi grinned evilly.

"What is it you need my help with?" Kireek asked.

"We are going to take out the ultimate symbol of human suppression in the Gurhal system." Magashi said leading Kireek down a dark tunnel, "The Guardians Colony."

"And how do you plan on doing that?" Kireek frowned.

"By dropping it from the sky." Magashi laughed, "It is well known the Guardians are housing SEED infected animals for study. They will make an excellent diversion while you and I take out the main reactor. If we're lucky we'll take President Dallgun with it."

"If it gets me the parts I require, so be it." Kireek nodded.

"Then you must meet with our leader, Howzer." Magashi grinned.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Kireek was genuinely surprised to meet the human image of Magashi that was Karl Friedrich Howzer. He was tanned with long white hair and a scar that ran across the bridge of his nose. He was dressed in white pants and a matching coat. The man looked up at the android with a simple lift of an eye brow.

"The Guardians have put out a system wide alert for you." He said tossing a pad on his desk.

"Have they?" Kireek frowned.

"You are an interesting individual Mr Kireek." Howzer smiled leaning back in his chair,
    "You're not of Gurhal technology yet you possess a power unseen by anyone."

"Many on my world tried to possess it as well." Kireek smirked, "They failed."

"And how is it you came to possess it?" Howzer grinned.

"What is it you need of me?" Kireek growled.

"Very well." Howzer nodded, "You will go with some of my casts and the Magashi clones, infiltrate the Guardians colony and access the A-photon reactor.

Howzer pulled a small vile of purple liquid from his desk. Kireek gasped

"I want you to inject this into the core." Howzer said, "It will act like a beacon to the SEED. We've already infected thousands with this virus on this planet. The AMF has been kind enough to conduct a massive extermination campaign. Right now we are infecting machines and casts on Parum. It should be moving to the colony shortly. That combined with a SEED bombardment, the Guardians will be unable to stop us. We've already begun releasing some of their test animals to keep them occupied. When the colony crashes into Parum, millions will die. Famine will spread; the species will begin fighting again. The Guardians will fall from favour and the AMF will be completely over whelmed by SEED. Purification of Gurhal will be swift."

"So you're not interested in human supremacy but complete genocide." Kireek frowned.

"As long as humans become the dominate species who cares how we do it." Howzer shrugged, "Got a problem with that?"

"I care not what happens to your little system." Kireek waved, "My goal lies elsewhere. To get it I need to construct an interstellar spacecraft."

"Such technology does not exist." Howzer scoffed.

"It does where I come from." Kireek grinned.

"Such technology could be damaging to my plans." Howzer frowned, "No one can escape."

"I am the only one who knows how to build it and once I'm gone no one will possess it." Kireek shrugged, "And I'm not about to take passengers either."

"Very well Mr Kireek." Howzer nodded, "Amanda here will show you to our shuttle."

Kireek felt an intense rage flow through him as Howzer gestured to a small blonde Newman girl who bowed politely. Kireek grabbed her by the throat lifting her off the ground and pinned her against the wall.

"Mr Kireek, what are you doing?" Howzer sprang from his chair.

"Your name is Amanda?" Kireek growled ignoring Howzer

The girl nodded slightly, clawing at his hand.

"What is your last name?"

The girl choked out something but Kireek couldn't make it out.

"Tell me your name!" Kireek growled.

He squeezed tighter making it impossible for the girl to reply.

"Mr Kireek please put my slave girl down." Howzer frowned.

"Slave." Kireek repeated looking down at Howzer.

"Yes, we took her from her family on Neudaiz and she has been in my service for a couple years now." Howzer nodded, "She's harmless."

Kireek released the girl dropping her to the ground gasping for air.

"My apologies." Kireek grumbled, "A white haired Newman named Amanda was a constant thorn in my side, and her ranger husband."

"White haired Newman?" Amanda said rubbing her throat.

"Yes." Kireek glared at her, "What do you know?"

"Not much." Amanda replied, "There's lots of Newmans with white hair."

"How about the name Kimble." Kireek glared.

"There was a family that lived in a village a few kilometres to the north with the name Kimble." She replied, "My parents got my name from one of their ancestors. The strange thing is every one born into that family has white hair."

"So Deepfreeze, your family survives." Kireek growled, "No matter, I am no doubt long forgotten."

"Magashi, perhaps one of your people could show Mr Kireek out." Howzer suggested.

Magashi nodded then waved at one of his casts. The cast bowed then followed Kireek out. Howzer waited until they were gone then turned to Amanda.

"Is your family name not Kimble as well?"

"It is Sir." Amanda nodded.

"You kept this from him?"

"I feared he might kill me if he knew."

"Smart girl." Howzer nodded, "He would have and I have grown a little fond of you. It would be a shame to loose such a valuable slave."

"Thank you Sir." Amanda bowed.

"You do realise you sent him after your own family." Howzer grinned.

"They are cousins I don't even know." Amanda shrugged.

"Excellent, you may go." Howzer nodded at the door.

Howzer waited until the girl was gone then turned to Magashi.

"Once Kireek has completed his mission I want him dead."

"Yes Sir." Magashi bowed and left.

Iceberg awoke to the sudden blaring of the colony alarm. He and Isis were still waiting the decision of the Guardians security counsel who, in his opinion, was taking way too long. Because of this they were still restricted to the colony. He had been reading some Guardians mission reports and must have dozed off.

"What's going on?" He groaned as he sat up.

"A level five emergency has been issued." Permafrost replied.

Permafrost was Icebergs fully evolved GH 432 Partner Machine. She was a small blue haired cast dressed in a red dress and black boots.

"You have a call coming in as well." She said.

"How do you...."

Iceberg was cut off by the beeping of his visphone. He walked over and gave Permafrost a raised eyebrow before tapping the screen. A holographic image of Isis appeared above the screen that sat flat on the desk.

"Iceberg, there you are." She said, "Do you know what's going on?"

"No." Iceberg shook his head, "Whatever it is, it must have happened quickly.

"I'm heading to Headquarters." Isis said looking over her shoulder, "Meet me there."

"Right." Iceberg nodded then turned to his PM, "Come on, we've got work to do."

"Master Iceberg, I get to come?" Permafrost gasped.

"Yes, my gut tells me something very bad is going to happen and I don't want to leave you here." He nodded.

The little bot skipped behind her master apparently overjoyed to be coming along. PM's generally weren't true casts and more of a life like robot but Permafrost often made Iceberg wonder if maybe PM's were getting close to crossing that line. Isis and Mina were the only ones at HQ. Even the three girls that worked at the desk behind Mina were gone. Isis waved her partner over.

"Hello Permafrost." Isis smiled, "It's nice to see your master actually let you out for a change."

Iceberg frowned.

"Hello Miss Isis." Permafrost bowed.

"Mina, what's going on?" Iceberg asked.

"There's been a SEED attack on the lower levels." Mina replied, "It's the result of a SEED bombardment. Lou has reported unusually strong emissions coming from the stations A-photon reactor. All active Guardians have been mobilized to get everyone to the secure bunker areas. On top of that we've received reports of Casts becoming violent and attacking some of our people."

"Then we must help." Iceberg said.

"You aren't listed as active." Mina shook her head.

"Mina." Isis started to protest.

Mina stopped her with a raised finger, "However under the circumstances I think I can leave that out of the report."

"Thanks Mina." Isis smiled.

"This is the work of the Illuminus." Iceberg growled, "I just know it."

"We believe so as well." Mina nodded.

"How did they get past security?" Isis asked.

"Come now Isis." Iceberg shook his head, "You now very well security has been very inadequate around here lately."

Mina nodded, "Please search for any survivors and get them to the shelters."

"Go Mina, we'll handle things here." Isis said.

Mina nodded then hurried out the door. It didn't even get closed before Headmaster Nav walked in.

"Headmaster!" Isis exclaimed, "Shouldn't you be in the shelter area?"

"Gak.... err....Ho no....Gek" The Headmaster sputtered and started limping toward them.

"What's wrong?" Isis frowned taking a step forward.

"Isis stop!" Iceberg shouted, "The Headmaster has been infected."

The Headmaster drew his twin claws and attacked. Isis dove to the side narrowly avoiding the slash from his weapon. Iceberg drew a pair of handguns and fired, catching the Headmaster in the shoulder. It rocked the Cast to the side drawing his attention. He charged forward with intense speed and skill. Permafrost fired her crossbow catching the Headmaster in the leg causing him to fall. He turned the fall into a roll and came up running. Permafrost and Iceberg fired repeatedly. The Headmaster weaved and dodged every shot, then leaped at them. Iceberg pushed his PM away then took the full blunt of the attack in the line shield. He was knocked onto his back. One of his guns slipped from his hand and skidded across the floor. Headmaster Nav raised a claw ready to strike. Isis charged with her sabre drawn but there was no way she would reach them in time. A shot landed right between the Headmasters eyes. The Headmaster froze. Isis skidded to a stop and looked back. Permafrost was still holding her handgun pointed at the Headmaster. Iceberg pushed the stiff cast off and climbed to his feet.

"What happened?" Isis frowned.

"I triggered his instant crash syndrome." Permafrost smiled.

"Good work." Iceberg said nudging the Headmaster with his foot.

"Master Iceberg we should go before his system reboots." Permafrost suggested.

"I agree," Iceberg nodded at her, "Besides, we have people to save."

"We can't just leave him here." Isis waved.

"Forgive me Miss Isis but the Headmaster is too dangerous to take with us." Permafrost replied, "Should he regain consciousness while in our company."

"Permafrost is right." Iceberg sighed, "As long as he stays in the residential ring he should be safe. Besides I'm not about to try and carry him around. He's too heavy."

"We can't guarantee he'll stay here." Isis frowned.

"Isis." Iceberg said taking her by the shoulders, "I know you are fond of the Headmaster, we all are. Despite his lecherous habits he's still a charming and wise old cast but he is a serious risk to us. Our primary duty is to the safety of the citizens of Gurhal."

"What about never leaving a man behind?" Isis frowned.

Iceberg didn't even flinch though the shot did make him wince inside. He always swore never to leave anyone behind. He shook his head and looked her straight in the eyes.

"The Headmaster is not in immediate danger." He said, "This is HQ, it's the safest stop on the colony for him and us right now."

"Please masters, time is short." Permafrost said.

Iceberg lead his team down to the lower areas of the colony. SEED infection was very heavy here. The rooms and corridors had been twisted into the dark pulsing tissue of the SEED, just like the Linear Line transit system that had never been cleared or repaired since the first SEED attack. Dark creatures were wandering aimlessly around the area. Cries for help came from the next room.

"Let's move." Iceberg said drawing his rifle.

"Isis pulled a pair of sabres and Permafrost drew her crossbow. The SEED instantly reacted targeting the intruders. The Guardians charged in a delta formation with Iceberg in the lead. The small but swift Bel pannons met them first leaping high into the air finishing with a spin attack. Iceberg blasted the lead pannon in mid air turning it into a splatter of purple goo. Permafrost broke right blasting two at the same time. Isis went left chopping several down before finishing a Delsaban with her photon art. A second one moved in throwing a ball of Megid at her. It passed through her line shield infecting her blood stream. She instinctively fell back crying out as the poison burned inside her. Iceberg ran to her rescue blasting the Delsaban then drawing his wand. A quick cast of Reverser removed the poison.

"Thanks." She smiled as he helped her up.

"I thought beasts were tougher than that?" He smirked.

She jabbed him in the side, "It's weird, I've never had the poison act like that before."

"Master Iceberg!" Permafrost cried, "I require assistance."

Iceberg turned to find his PM completely surrounded. She continued to fire at the attackers but there was just too many. Isis started to charge but she was stopped by a new group of Delsabans. Iceberg fired at the group attacking his PM while Isis tried to hold off the new group. He managed to open a small hole for Permafrost to escape through. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a Megid ball fly at Isis hitting her square in the chest. She crumpled to the ground. Iceberg turned and blasted the head off Isis' killer.

"Permafrost, Isis needs a moon atomizer."

"At once Master Iceberg." The PM nodded.

Permafrost hurried over to the fallen beast and quickly poured the small vile of liquid down her throat. Isis awoke with a groan.

"Blasted Megid." She frowned.

Permafrost nodded just as a big purple ball slammed into her sending her flying against the wall. She hit with a loud clank then flopped lifeless to the floor. Isis jumped to her feet and charged at the three Delsabans marching her way. She tore into each one with lightening quick precision. Iceberg quickly dispatched the last of the Bel Pannon then revived his PM with a quick cast of Giresta.

"I'm sorry Master Iceberg." She said softly, "I got careless."

"Forget it." Iceberg shrugged, "Let's just get those people out of here."

Isis ran over to the locked door and flipped the switch. Nothing happened.

"Looks like we need a key." She shrugged.

"Iceberg was about to respond but he was interrupted by his communicator. He quickly tapped the head piece.

"This is a level five warning to all Guardians." Lou announced, "Please escort all personnel to the designated shelter areas immediately. Separation of the residential area will commence in five minutes."

"Separation of the residential area!" Isis gasped, "Are they crazy?"

"It must be very serious." Iceberg frowned at the lock.

He took aim and fired. The lock panel blew apart shorting out the system. The door slid open to a smoke filled lab. Seven scientists stumbled out of the room choking and coughing.

"Is everyone alright?" Isis asked.

"Professor Erin is trapped under some debris." A young beast assistant coughed.

"We'll get him." Isis nodded, "Get everyone else to the shelter immediately."

"OK." He nodded and ran off with the others.

"Iceberg, we've got a man trapped inside!" Isis called.

Iceberg ended his com signal and ran over to Isis.

"Laia has returned from Moatoob." He said, "She's escorting Lou to the control room to manually release the residential area. We have less time than we thought."

"Let's move then." Isis nodded and ran into the burning room.

She could hear a man crying out for help. She slowly crept through the smoke searching every pile of metal for the man. Iceberg and Permafrost started around the opposite side of the room. The PM rounded a large pile of ceiling brace and nearly stepped on the man's head.

"Master Iceberg, here."

Iceberg flipped on his goggles and scanned the debris.

"Permafrost, take your sabre and cut right there." He pointed.

The PM quickly followed his instructions cutting at every point he indicated. Isis quickly removed each piece as it was cut free. When enough metal was removed Iceberg carefully pulled the man free. His right leg had a deep cut in it. Iceberg pulled his wand and cast Resta. It stopped the bleeding but failed to close the wound. He let out a soft growl as he stowed the wand.

"We'll have to carry him out." Isis said.

Iceberg nodded and scooped the man up flinging him over his shoulder then followed the others back to the shelter area.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Heidi sat on the bed in her new room on the colony staring at the little red orb that was her PM. Though her and her father had no trouble moving from planet to planet under their Guardians licence Cerberus had no license and had been restricted to the colony. He had applied for his Guardians license but not being a Gurhal citizen had slowed things down considerably. Phoenix was supposed to be picking her up for a training mission but he was late and she had been unable to contact him. She rocked nervously as she watched her little PM slowly bob up and down.

"Something's wrong." She sprang up and stomped her foot.

"Excuse me Miss Heidi?" Arianna asked.

"Phoenix should have been here by now." Heidi said looking thought the large window behind her PM.

She frowned as she spotted a small group of AMF cruisers in the distance headed for the colony.

"Arianna look." She pointed.

The PM rotated one hundred eighty degrees and scanned the view.

"Those are AMF ships." The PM replied, "However I find no AMF ships scheduled for docking at the colony."

"I told you something was wrong." Heidi frowned.

"If that is true then why are the ships moving below normal space lane speeds?"

"Something smells rotten here." Heidi wrinkled her nose.

"I do not detect any erroneous odour." Arianna replied, "Shall I inform maintenance that the air scrubbers have failed."

"Huh, what?" Heidi frowned, "No, it was just a figure of speech."

She watched the ships approach ever so slowly never veering from their course. Heidi felt a chill run down her spine as the ships failed to angle for the docking ports. They were headed for the lab and the lower decks.

"Arianna!" Heidi quivered.

"I believe they intend to ram the colony." The PM replied.

"Oh really." Heidi frowned.

She took a step back from the window as the lead ship smashed into the outer ring. The entire colony shook violently knocking Heidi to the floor. Alarms began to blare followed by an audio announcement telling everyone to head to the shelter area. She felt a second impact but this one didn't shake the colony.

"That was not a ship." Heidi shook her head.

"No Miss Heidi, it appears to be a SEED attack." Arianna replied.

"This day just keeps getting better." Heidi frowned.

The door to her room beeped. She quickly answered it and found Phoenix and Cerberus standing in the hall.

"Grab your belongings." Phoenix said, "We're leaving."

"But the colony is being attacked." Heidi gasped.

"Hurry Heidi." Cerberus urged.

Heidi nodded and quickly ran to her PM and grabbed up what little she had. She stuffed everything into the PM then tucked the ball under her arm.

"Where are we going?" Arianna asked.

"I don't know." Heidi shrugged.

Cerberus led the way out and Phoenix dropped in behind his student.

"Your father is waiting on the flyer that will take us to Neudaiz." Cerberus said.

"What about the colony?" Heidi asked.

"There are people handling it." Phoenix grumbled.

"I almost couldn't pull him away from the fighting." Cerberus smirked.

"I still can't believe I left." Phoenix growled, "It was a glorious battle that shall be remembered."

"I don't think it's going to end well." Heidi sighed.

"Don't worry there's enough Guardians here to handle things." Cerberus said.

Heidi knew that wasn't true but she decided to remain quiet for now. Cerberus quickly glanced down a hallway he was passing just as a group of Casts ran by the far end. Cerberus stopped dead staring at the empty hall. Heidi ran right into him and bounced off falling to the ground.

"Hey!" She protested.

"It couldn't be." Cerberus shook his head.

The lead Cast had been tall and slender, coloured black, grey, and maroon. Cerberus had never seen him before but the second one looked just like a purple HUcast and he was certain the Cast was carrying the cursed scythe. They had been followed by a group of blue Cast soldiers.

"What is it?" Phoenix asked.

"I thought I saw Kireek." Cerberus replied.

"He was following a black and maroon cast."

"Magashi." Phoenix spat, "So he's responsible. We should go after them."

"There will be another time." Cerberus said.

"Yes, there will." Phoenix growled.

The trio hurried down to the flyer base where Jon stood waiting. He waved at the group as they approached. A giant humanoid SEED appeared by the Parum gate. It was tall with long thin limbs and nasty spear like claws. It leaped across the platform landing beside Jon. He tried to draw a rod but the SEED easily batted him away.

"What is that thing?" Heidi cried.

"It's an infected person." Phoenix growled.

"So we can't kill it then." Heidi gasped.

"Why not?" Phoenix shrugged, "It's a SEED."

"No." Heidi shook her head, "It's a person. Maya has a vaccine so we just need to stop it."

"You're lucky then." Cerberus said, "When we faced the D-cell infection on Ragol we had no such vaccine."

"How horrible." Heidi sighed.

Jon quickly climbed to his feet and drew his rod releasing a ball of Foie. The creature simply batted the flame away then turned for Jon. Phoenix equipped his knuckles and Heidi drew her daggers and charged. Sato stayed right with her watching intently as her new owner charged into her first real battle. Cerberus hung back and drew a rifle from his pack. He checked the power pack then sighed.

"I sure hope this thing still works."

Heidi and Phoenix attacked the creature from behind as Jon continued to switch elements trying to find one that would affect this monster. The two hunters swung hard but the daggers and knuckles had no effect.

"Impossible." Phoenix gasped.

The creature turned slightly and batted the Guardians away like they were nothing more than insects. Jon continued to blast away until his rods went empty. The SEED creature continued to close.

"Dad, get to the flyer!" Heidi yelled.

"I'm not leaving you!" He replied.

"We can't fight this." Heidi cried, "We will follow you, please go now!"

Jon nodded slowly then hurried inside the gate where the monster could not follow him.

"Heidi, go right." Phoenix ordered.

She bolted to the right side of the creature while Phoenix went left. The creature locked on to Heidi and went at her. Phoenix easily reached the gate then turned back when he saw his partner was in danger. The creature cut her off then sent her flying back. She landed hard and felt something in her left knee snap. She cried out as the pain shot up her leg. Phoenix started back for her.

"No!" Cerberus yelled, "Get to the flyer. I'll get her!"

Phoenix nodded but stopped at the gate unwilling to leave his team mates. The creature stalked closer to the fallen Newman girl. She tried to crawl away but her knee hurt too much. The creature raised its talon and swung down to kill its prey. The talon locked with the twin daggers. The creature stared into the eyes of a real hunter. A yellow photon bullet blasted into the side of the creature blasting small bits of its armour skin away. The creature roared and turned to the new threat. The Newman girl jumped to her feet then used her daggers as picks to climb to the monsters shoulders. She drove a dagger into what looked like an eye. The SEED monster roared and threw her off. She landed square on her feet. Both Phoenix and Cerberus stood in awe. The creature turned to her but before it could charge she ran right for it. It swung but she dropped to the ground sliding under the strike and between the creature's legs. As she passed through she used the daggers as hooks to pull the monsters feet out from under it. She jumped on its back and tried to drive the daggers into its spine but the daggers just bounced off. Cerberus frowned.

"I've seen that move before." He muttered, "But she's long dead."

The creature climbed to its feet with Heidi still clinging to its back. She tried for the other eye but it got hold of her first and tossed her toward the edge of the floor. She hit the railing and bounced to the floor. The creature charged. She waited for the last second then stepped aside. The creature started to go over but grabbed the railing. It roared and started to climb up. Cerberus aimed and fired. He kept firing until the creature could no longer hold on and went tumbling down to the third floor.

"Come on Cerberus it's time to go!" Heidi yelled with a voice that was not quite her own.

Cerberus paused for a second then ran when Phoenix also called him. Phoenix disappeared into the gate now that he new his team was safe. Heidi and Cerberus met at the gate at the same time.

"Where did you learn to fight like that?" He asked.

"What are you talking about?" Heidi asked jabbing his arm, "I've been fighting like that for years."

Cerberus was about to ask her what she was talking about when her eyes rolled back and she collapsed. Cerberus quickly scooped her up. She slowly opened her eyes and cried out grabbing her knee. It hurt even worse now.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"My knee snapped when that creature hit me." She replied through a deep breath, "Say where did it go?"

Cerberus could only stare at her for a moment.

"I don't suppose you know Resta?" She asked.

"I can't use Resta." Cerberus replied.

"You a Fortgunner?" Heidi asked.

"I'm an android." Cerberus replied.

He rushed inside the gate where Phoenix stood waiting for them. He waited for Cerberus to board then entered the flyer sealing the door. Jon was just completing the pre-flight checks. Cerberus carefully sat Heidi down and helped her strap in.

"That's some gun you got." Phoenix said as he sat down, "And what's wrong with her?"

"Says her knee snapped." Cerberus replied.

"But she was running around fighting like a real warrior." Phoenix frowned, "And now she's injured?"

"Yes." Cerberus replied staring at her.

Heidi looked completely dumbfounded then slowly looked down at her feet.

The shuttle bucked as it lifted off the launch platform and blasted out into space.