Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"So, what was it that drove you from your home planet?" Phoenix asked.

"Coral or Ragol?" Cerberus smirked then sighed, "I'll explain everything on Neudaiz."

The flyer banked left away from the hive satellites on which it usually landed and entered the Neudaiz hyper gate. Jon veered away from the main landing gate in Ohtoku City and headed north to his home town. The flyer touched down in the back field behind their house drawing quite the attention from their neighbours. Jon exited the flyer and headed for the house with Phoenix in tow. Cerberus gently picked Heidi up and carried her to the house. Jon unlocked the door and strolled in. It was getting late in the evening but the house looked empty and dark.

"Karin, we're home!" Jon called.

He was greeted with silence.

"Karin!" He called again.

Still nothing.

"She should be home from the Communion by now." He frowned.

Phoenix remained quiet but watched as the man began searching his home. Cerberus set Heidi down on the living room sofa.

"Jon, there's no one else here." Cerberus said.

"How do you know that?" Phoenix frowned.

"I'm not picking up any one on my internal sensors." Cerberus replied.

Phoenix just shook his head then said, "It doesn't look like anything has been touched."

"That's what worries me." Jon nodded.

"Dad, where's mom?" Heidi asked then winced as a shot of pain ran up her leg.

"I don't know sweetie." Her dad said entering the room, "First we'll get you fixed up."

He drew a wand and quickly cast Resta on his daughter. The pain immediately faded away. Heidi hopped up off the couch and stretched out her knee.

"Thanks Dad." She smiled.

Phoenix quietly strolled from the front of the house holding a note.

"It appears your wife has been transferred to the main branch of the Communion in Ohtoku City."

"What?" Jon frowned taking the note, "It doesn't say why or what division."

"Typical of the Communion." Phoenix grumbled.

"Sir, I know this may be troubling but at least your wife is safe." Cerberus said, "We must get back to the business at hand. If Kireek is working with the Illuminus then all of Gurhal is in great danger."

"Yes, of course." Jon nodded, "What you need is in the bed room."

He led the group up stairs to the master bedroom. He opened the large closet and began digging through the clutter until he pulled out a large wooden chest.

"I'm afraid I don't have the key." Jon looked up.

"Allow me." Phoenix grunted.

With one hand he tore the ancient lock from its ring. He stepped aside for Cerberus who carefully opened the lid. Lying on top of a pile of cloths was a small armless robot no bigger than Sato who let out a mournful meow.

"Oh Savitri." Cerberus looked like he had lost a dear friend, "Why did they lock you away."

"What is it?" Heidi frowned.

"It was Amanda's Mag." Cerberus said, "Just like Sato, all Mags need to be cared for, fed and loved. Locked in a box Savitri didn't stand a chance."

"How awful." Heidi gasped and she felt something in her heart wrench, "All alone in the dark starving to death. Suddenly I'm not so proud of our family."

"It was a mistake sweetie." Jon said, "It must have been locked up out of fear or something some where down the generation line."

"Yes, by some one who didn't know what he was." Cerberus replied setting the hard little body down.

Next he pulled out a tall slender blue and white uniform that sported a large shoulder pack.

"Deepfreeze's RAmar uniform." Cerberus said handing is to Jon, "Careful, age has made the fabric delicate."

"It looks like it's seen many battles." Phoenix grinned.

"It has." Cerberus nodded, "He was quite the warrior."

Next he pulled out the matching boots and set them aside. He pulled out a mint green and white long sleeved top that ended just below the rib cage. It was followed by a matching pair of very short shorts and knee high boots.

"This was Amanda's hunters uniform." Cerberus said, "I'd say it would fit Heidi."

"No daughter of mine is wearing that." Jon frowned.

"Oh Dad." Heidi frowned, "I'm a grown woman, and I can wear what I want."

"Is that any worse than what she's wearing now." Phoenix smirked, "I believe that would actually cover up more."

"Never said I was happy about her current state of dress." Jon frowned.

"It's become fragile too." Phoenix said taking the cloths and setting them on the bed.

Heidi quietly crept over to the bed and began examining the cloths. Cerberus pulled a pair of strange looking blade hilts from the chest and set them down. He pulled a stack of old disks followed by an old hand gun.

"I have seen one of those." Phoenix said.

"Really, where?" Cerberus asked.

"Kubara is mass producing the Varista ever since it showed up in one of the Relic sites." Jon said.

"What else have they found?"

A large sabre they call the Durandal Replica and a tech weapon that looks just like your Sato." Jon replied, "More keep appearing too."

Cerberus nodded and pulled a second gun from the chest and set it beside Varista. He pulled out a neat stack of data pads and star charts. He turned to set them down on the bed, and frowned as he saw Heidi sitting on the edge grinning as she sported the green boots.

"They fit very well." She giggled, "And age hasn't weakened them."

"That's enough Heidi." Jon frowned.

She shot him a frown as she slid off the bed allowing Cerberus to set the charts down. She quietly moved beside Phoenix out of the way.

"This childish behaviour needs to end." Phoenix growled softly, "It is unbecoming of a Guardian."

Cerberus first went through the data pads. Age had long since drained their power cell.

"We'll have to get these powered." Cerberus said, "But I can give you the jist of things. Coral, our home world was dieing from the result of a global civil war. We sent probes out looking for a new home. That turned out to be Ragol, or so we thought. We sent Pioneer One to establish the colony and prep it for the colonists that would be arriving on Pioneer Two. When we arrived and tried to establish communications a giant explosion shook the planet and all word from Pioneer One stopped. With most of the military force already on Ragol, the government of Pioneer Two had no choice but to turn to the Hunters Guild for help."

Cerberus started telling them the entire tail of the Pioneer project and everything they had discovered. Heidi shook her head slowly as she listened to the tale. Phoenix hung on every word hopping this story would end with a giant battle. Cerberus paused for a moment as if he were collecting his thoughts. Heidi frowned ever so slightly as she wondered what the big android might be thinking about. He finished his tail with the great battle with the dark being known as Dark Falz.

"We sealed the ruins up in hope that it would never be opened again." He finished, "I personally saw to it and yet two years later it was reopened and Falz was released again."

"Doesn't sound like a very good place to call home." Jon shrugged, "What did you do?"

"What could we do?" Cerberus shrugged, "We kept fighting in hopes of staying alive. Our third colony ship Pioneer Three never arrived and Amanda and I found evidence that some kind of disaster hit the ship though we never did find more than a small piece of it. It was then that Amanda knew she would never see her father or sister again. Seemed Deepfreeze was also hiding a secret too. Two years after that first Dark Falz battle we faced a similar situation with a research lab in the north. A mad scientist named Lazarus from Pioneer Two had taken up residence there using Doctor Osto's research he was bent on combining flesh with metal. He had the black market group Black Paper, who Kireek was a leading member of, kidnap hunters and used them for his experiments. He would cause their flesh to mutate and same with the androids then fuse the two together and finish it with the dark substance we called D-cells."

Heidi gasped as she put her hand to her mouth.

"How could any one do something so twisted." Jon shook his head.

"Is it really any different than what the Illuminus is doing here with the Seed?" Phoenix
    frowned.

"No, I guess your right." Jon shrugged, "It's not."

"Well, it turns out that not only was Rico set free but she took some of Dark Falz flesh with her." Cerberus said, "It formed her a new body which looked much like her but her eyes were alien and her flesh had dark purple veins running across it in small patches. She stayed hidden but she helped us win the battle and uncover various traitors on Pioneer Two. Most importantly though, during her research of the ruins she found a star chart and an ancient legend that spoke of a power so strong it could create life itself. It took years to decipher but once we did we set out to follow it. So did Kireek unfortunately."

"And this map lead you here?" Jon tilted his head.

"That's right." Cerberus nodded.

"Then the rest of this map must be hidden here in Gurhal." Phoenix grumbled crossing his arms.

"Why is Kireek working for the Illuminus then?" Heidi asked.

"Kireek needs a ship to get to the powers location." Cerberus said, "The Illuminus most likely offered him one in exchange for his services."

"But Gurhal has no interstellar space craft." Jon shrugged.

"With the proper parts, Kireek could easily build a star drive out of your current photon drives." Cerberus replied.

"Can you?" Heidi tilted her head.

"Build one, no but I could probably repair one." Cerberus shrugged.

"Tell me, do those pads use photon cells?" Jon asked.

Cerberus nodded, "Like everything on Coral."

"Then I know someone who might be able to convert our cells to work with your equipment." Jon nodded.

"Doctor Tomrain, right?" Heidi asked.

"Yes but he's very busy." Jon smiled, "I was thinking about Maya. She even has a lab here."

"Oh no, not Maya." Phoenix grumbled.

Jon hurried down the stairs to the com panel and dialled the colony. The message he received puzzled him.

"The Guardians branch you have dialled is not currently available. Your call is being rerouted to the Neudaiz Guardians Branch."

"What is it dad?" Heidi asked stepping of the stairs.

"They can't connect with the colony."

"That is odd." Phoenix muttered.

A Newman woman appeared on the screen.

"Guardians, Neudaiz Branch, how may I help you."

"This is Jonathan Kimble; I'm trying to reach Maya Shidow."

"Miss Shidow is currently stationed on Clyez City." The girl said.

"I know." Jon frowned, "My call was rerouted here."

"I'll see if I can connect you directly." The girl said.

The screen changed to the Guardians Symbol as she put them on hold. A couple minutes later she reappeared. She had turned pale white and looked ready to throw up.

"I, I could not contact the colony." She stammered, "I suggest you turn on news channel five."

She nodded once and hung up.

"That was strange." Phoenix grumbled.

"It was." Jon nodded.

Heidi quickly picked up the remote and turned on the TV screen. Hal appeared in her typical black and pink outfit. She looked like someone had just run her over with a floater. Her cheerful demeanour was gone and she looked very sick.

"Reports from Parum are still sketchy but it has now been confirmed that the bulk of the Guardians Colony has just fell from orbit and has impacted on the outskirts of Holtz City. AMF patrol ships continue to circle the area but as yet no one has been able to contact them. Authorities have received communications from the residence section of what's left of the colony. Rescue ships from the trade federation and the Communion of Gurhal have been dispatched to aid with the recovery of the survivors. We have just received reports that the damage on Parum is extensive and..." Hal gulped and looked off camera for a moment, "Sorry the death toll is currently in the thousands and continues to rise..."

Heidi shut off the TV unable to watch another second of it.

"The Illuminus has struck a mighty blow to us today." Phoenix growled, "As I live I swear our fallen comrades shall be avenged."

"That will have to wait." Cerberus said, "We should see what aid we can provide."

"Good idea." Jon nodded.

The group headed out the back door to the flyer. Heidi fell behind as she hopped along the hallway trying to pull off the old hunters boots. She looked around for her boots then remembered they were still upstairs. She hurried up to the bedroom and pulled them on then started for the door. Sato let out a meow.

"What?" Heidi frowned.

She looked in the direction the Mag was looking and spotted the ancient weapon hilts lying on the floor.

"Am I supposed to take those?"

Sato gave a happy meow.

"OK but if I get in trouble I'm blaming you." Heidi shrugged.

Sato let out a meow that sounded almost like she was saying, "Me?"

She first picked up the strange new hand gun and checked its power pack. It would need charging. She pulled a photon charge from her nanotransformer and placed it against the weapons recharge port. It didn't quite fit. She fumbled with it until the charger let off a large spark causing her to drop it and the gun. Carefully she picked up the gun and found it was now fully charged.

"There's got to be a better way of doing that." Heidi sighed.

Sato meowed in agreement.

She stored the weapon in her nanotransformer then picked up the two hilts and hurried down to the flyer.

"What took so long?" Phoenix grumbled.

"Forgot my boots." Heidi replied, "Sato held me up too."

Sato let out a soft growl.

"Did it." Phoenix frowned.

Heidi quickly took her seat beside Cerberus.

"Those were Amanda's daggers." He said, "They're call S-red Blades and come from a
    strong security bot found in the mines."

"I'll take good care of them." Heidi replied.

"I know you will." Cerberus smiled.

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

CHAPTER EIGHTTEEN

Magashi lead Kireek through the underbelly of the Guardians colony at an annoyingly slow speed. He would stop at every corridor and wait for the guards to pass by. Three of his clones had been dispatched with a large group of female cast to distract the Guardians. Magashi had expressed concern that someone named Laia Martinez might try to stop them, but Kireek was not worried. There wasn't anyone left who could stop him. They rounded a corner and stopped in front of two large metal doors. Two Guardians were posted there. They approached the group cautiously.

"You are not authorized to be here." One said.

"Renvolt Magashi!" The other called, "You and your group are under arrest."

"I do not think so." Magashi grinned.

Kireek leaped forward with lightning speed slicing through one then decapitating the other. He stood smiling at Magashi as the Soul Eater absorbed the blood. Magashi grinned evilly. This was a very powerful cast indeed. Though Howzer had ordered Kireek's death, Lutz the leader of the Illuminus, had over written Howzer's order and insisted Kireek remain alive. Magashi agreed with Lutz. He strolled past Kireek and pried the doors open. Kireek stepped through the door and gazed up at a sphere of swirling yellow light.

"Alpha photons?" He muttered quietly.

They looked very similar to the ultra high frequency Alpha Photons Doctor Lazarus had developed in his northern lab on Ragol and the copied technology Doctor Montague had built based on Lazarus documents. Armour and weapons infused with these Alpha Photons had been extremely powerful and the conventional photon weapons and armour had been useless against it. Could it have been possible that Lazarus had simply discovered the Alpha Photons rather than developed them? Perhaps they had been buried in some obscure place in the ruins or maybe from the ancient space crafts very own engines. Kireek would never know. Magashi strolled up to the reactor and drew the small vial from his nanotransformer. He pulled a power cell from the main consul and inserted the vial. The virus inside quickly spread through the system and into the reactor which began to speed up and glow brightly.

"Now every SEED in the area will be attracted to this like a moth to a flame." He grinned, "Our AMF slaves should be here shortly. We should go."

"That's it?" Kireek frowned, "That's all we came for?"

"This is step one." Magashi shrugged, "Destroy people's faith in the Guardians and the individual governments will begin fighting. Divide and concur."

"This hardly required my skills." Kireek frowned.

"That is because we aren't done with you yet." Magashi grabbed him then started to leave.

"I don't take to being used nor do I like being ordered around." Kireek yelled.

"You had better get used to it Mr Kireek." Magashi replied.

Kireek growled and squeezed the Soul Eater with all his strength. The other casts slowly backed away from the android then ran to catch up to their leader. Kireek, still seething, felt the colony shake violently.

"An impact." He frowned, "Something very large has just hit us."

He looked at his Soul Eater and saw a twinkle flash across its red eye.

"Yes, you're right. It would be wise to leave this place." Kireek nodded and ran to catch up to the others.

They hurried down several corridors, past many Guardians who were to busy to notice them. As they approached a junction, Kireek could hear three sets of foot steps coming from a joining corridor. One set sounded heavy, metallic, and very familiar. He took a quick glance down the hallway but saw no one. He heard them pass by after he turned away.

"It is not possible." He growled, "Not after all these years. He can't still be alive."

Magashi lead them back to the flyer just as the colony shook from several smaller impacts.

"Ah the SEED has arrived." He grinned, "The Guardians days are numbered."

"Do not be so sure." Kireek mumbled as he followed the slender cast.

"What!" Magashi snapped.

"If I am correct." Kireek said stepping away from the closing hatch, "Then some one I thought long dead is alive and could cause us much trouble."

"Not if he's on the colony." Magashi smirked.

"He may no longer be." Kireek said taking a seat.

"The problems from your past are yours, not ours." Magashi sighed.

The flyer shook slightly as it lifted off the docking platform and blasted into space. Kireek looked through the window back at the colony. A large military vessel was wedged into the lower section. Tiny fire balls rained down on the outer ring.

"My problems are now your problems." Kireek said softly.

The flyer banked gently as it turned toward the Moatoob gate that would catapult the flyer home. Kireek continued to watch the colony until it was out of sight. He turned and glared at Magashi.

"My time schedule has just been accelerated." He said at last.

"Not possible." Magashi shook his head, "Our activities will have to be scaled back for a while as the system falls apart from this tragedy. You Mr Kireek are stuck with us for a little while longer."

Kireek clenched down on the Soul Eater, "This will not do."

"Don't worry, once the three planetary governments fall in on each other we will be able to get you anything you wish." Magashi grinned, "And your problem, if he survives, won't be able to do anything for a while either, so relax."

The flyer dropped down through the dry Moatoob atmosphere and entered the long canyon that Kireek had flown through landing safely in a small side cave. The small group rose from their seats and began to disembark. An old man sitting in a wheel chair dressed in a white naval admiral uniform waited for them at the bottom of the ramp. His hair had long turned grey and most of it had fallen out. Howzer was standing behind this man and a look of shock momentarily flashed across his face as he saw Kireek start down the ramp. The look was quickly replaced by an angry glare aimed at Magashi. Magashi simply ignored him and concentrated on the older man who also was not happy. He quickly stepped off the ramp, stopping in front of the old man and stared straight ahead.

"The Guardians Colony has crashed into a populated section of Parum on the outskirts of Holtz City." The old man said, "However the residential area and a large number of the Guardians still remains in orbit."

"What?" Magashi gasped.

"Your useless clones failed to stop Laia Martinez from rescuing them." The man jabbed Magashi in the chest with his cane, "I should melt your whole line down for scrap."

"Sir I..." Magashi began.

"You continually fail me time and time again." The man yelled, "I never should have let Howzer talk me into mass producing you. Get out of my sight."

Magashi quietly stepped aside and sank into the shadow. Howzer glared at the back of the mans head with his fists clenched tight. The man turned to the tall purple android and sighed.

"Mr Kireek, I am Randolph Luntz." The man said, "I'm afraid we are unable to obtain all the parts you asked for. We did acquire some and will continue to hunt down the rest. While you wait I do hope you will continue to be of service to us."

"Mr. Luntz, my mission to the colony was most enlightening." Kireek said stepping off the ramp, "It has shown me that my time is much more limited than I once thought. While completion of my space craft is of most importance I now realize that I also require information, information that I believe is hidden some where in Gurhal."

"What kind of information?" Luntz frowned.

"A star map thousands of years old." Kireek replied.

"A star map to where?" Luntz asked.

Kireek paused for a moment to decide how much he wished to reveal.

"Perhaps the answer to the mystery on my home world." He said at last.

"Is that all?" Luntz sighed, "Then what is the rush."

"I believe an enemy of mine may have survived all these years and is now working for the Guardians." Kireek replied.

"You saw him?"

"No but I heard foot falls from a corridor on the colony." Kireek replied, "They are unmistakable."

Luntz just laughed, "Mr Kireek, I do believe you are afraid of shadows from the past."

He shook his head then rolled away to leave Kireek seething at the flyer. Kireek slammed his fist into the side of the flyer leaving a deep dent then stormed off to his new room.
    Last edited by Freeze; Apr 10, 2010 at 08:29 AM.

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

Freeze, you never cease to write increadible chapters for your fics. Unfortunately, you havn't quite reached for a second time the greatness of Ragol's Gift. I am also not as fond of legacy, since I don't know much about PSU, at least with PSO I have developed some knowledge from reading a lot of fics. But, of course, that's just my own ignorance. Keep up the good work.

I guess that just proves the old saying "Sequels are never as good as the original." And as with any fan fic, the more you know about the game it's based on the more you'd be able to relate and enjoy it. As long as you still enjoy it that's the important thing.

CHAPTER NINETEEN

Three months passed by as the peace between the three planets broke down. The Guardians were scattered and leaderless as President Obel Dallgun had sacrificed him self to save the residential section of the colony. Parum was still reeling from the destruction as hunger and disease began to consume the refugee camps. The Communion of Gurhal completed their planetary lattice shield system protecting Neudaiz from the SEED. They closed themselves off and refused to share the technology with the other planets. The Moatoob Trade Federation quickly collapsed leaving rogue leaders to fight over the planet. Laia Martinez disappeared shortly after the crash only to be found by Maia Shidow, Lumia Waber, and Laia's partner Rolf. Laia was hiding in the Parum refugee camp unwilling to face the rest system as she let grief and self doubt consume her. Only after the trio found her and a stern lecture from Ethan Waber did she return and take her place as the new President of the Guardians. Soon after that the Guardians received a message from a new rogue leader claiming he had united all the rogues and would no longer recognize Guardian authority in the system. Moatoob was now independent and would fight the SEED on their own. Laia lead a small party to Moatoob to talk to this new leader. She discovered it was none other than Alford Tylor and only after Laia rescued a group of his rogues from a mine cave in was Tylor willing to work with the Guardians. It was at this time that a SEED hive the size of a planet was in orbit between Moatoob and the sun. The hive called Rykros did not reflect sunlight and it was unknown how long Rykros had been there. Professor Tomrain and a small group of Guardians received a notice that Ethan Waber was going to attack the Lattice Shield System on Neudaiz. Laia sent Rolf, Lumia, and Huga Wright to investigate. Huga was acting very distant and distracted. Maya expressed concern that her SEED vaccine may not be working on him. After assurances from Huga, Laia decided to let him go. They infiltrated the Communion and found the control center for the shield. Ethan was there but he was trying to rescue the Divine Maiden and not trying to destroy the shield. Huga succumbed to the infection turning into a SEED and destroyed the control room. He was defeated and returned to normal but wandered off when the Guardians attention was else where. The Guardians, unable to go after Huga, continued to rescue the Maiden. Light Master Rutsu tried to stop them but it was the Maiden who exited the chamber to stop the fight. She admitted that it was her choice to continue to supply the mental energy that powered the system to relieve some of strain on the girls powering it. She convinced Rutsu that the shield was to be shared and that Neudaiz was not to hide behind their shield, and work with the Guardians to defeat the SEED.

Heidi had completed her training with Phoenix and had earned her full licence. Cerberus spent most of his time searching for the second half of the star map with little success. Jonathan used every connection he had to try to find the whereabouts of his wife with no success. Iceberg and Isis were busy trying to locate Kireek and the Illuminus but whenever they arrived at the scene of a terrorist attack the Illuminus was long gone. Even with the failure of their grand plan, the Illuminus continued to cause problems and the AMF casts where still out of control. Heidi sat on her bed on the new colony staring out the window. Arianna, her now fully evolved PM, stood quietly at the window base staring up at her master. The news that her family was actually descended from aliens from a far away system still crossed her mind but she was mostly worried about her mother. She shook her head still finding it hard to believe that she was a half breed and not a pure Newman as her recorded family history might suggest. Sure Humans and Newmans married and cross bred but she never thought she was one of them. She often wondered if her great grandmother Amanda had been a superior warrior that the original creators had tried to make. Everything Cerberus and her father had told her now plagued her mind as she fought to sort it all out. She was shaken by a knock on the door.

"I'll get it Miss Heidi." Arianna said scurrying off to the door.

The door slid open and Heidi heard two heavy metal foot steps.

"Greetings Mister Cerberus." Arianna smiled, "Miss Heidi is in her room."

"Hi Cerberus." Heidi said appearing in the doorway to her bedroom, "Have you had any luck finding that map?"

"I have a possible lead to the whereabouts but that's not why I'm here." He replied.

"No?" Heidi frowned, "Then why?"

"I noticed that as a Newman you don't use any techniques." Cerberus said, "This is a waste of your natural abilities."

"I can't afford a wand yet." Heidi shrugged then waved her hand, "And I already told Dad he isn't allowed to buy my stuff for me so don't offer."

"I won't and you don't need one." Cerberus said.

"The use of unregulated techniques is strictly forbidden." Heidi gasped, "Only the highest members of the Communion may use them. Every one else must use wands or rods so technique control can be maintained. Do you know what an uncontrolled technique can do to some one?"

"I have first hand experience." Cerberus nodded, "I have here all of Amanda's technique disks. They've been converted to the Gurhal format. These will teach you to properly control them without fear of accident. Read and study them, you just may need them and you don't want to be dumbed down by some mast produced cane."

"Ya but..." Heidi tried to protest.

"No butt's young lady." Cerberus pointed, "I have a feeling you're about to be involved in something very big and you're going to need all the help you can get."

"You mean Rykros?"

"This goes way beyond what's going on here in Gurhal." Cerberus shook his head, "But I
    have a feeling Rykros is going to be involved."

This time the door chime rang. Heidi frowned at Cerberus who just shrugged. Arianna opened the door and let Phoenix in. He nodded to Cerberus then turned to Heidi.

"We are needed in the lab." He said, "Tomrain has an announcement for all Guardians. Seems they found something very interesting on Rykros."

"I'm a full Guardian now and don't require and instructor so have you been demoted to messenger boy?" Heidi smirked.

"The way they've been treating me lately I would not be surprised." Phoenix grumbled, "But no, this I am doing out of the kindness of my own heart."

"Then it's all used up now?" Heidi giggled.

"Let's just go." Phoenix sighed.

They hurried down to the large auditorium that was already filling up as Guardians from all across the system filed in. Tomrain was standing on the podium with Laia and Lou at his side. Phoenix found Iceberg and Isis who had saved them seats halfway down. Tomrain waited until every one had taken a seat before beginning.

"Thank you all for coming." He began, "I know many of you left very sensitive areas and SEED infection to be here but it may be a small sacrifice for ending the SEED threat. As you all know we have discovered a large SEED hive in orbit near Moatoob. This explains the large amount of activity the planet has suffered. First off this is a Hive and not a planet although it is the size of one. We believe it entered the Gurhal system through a dimensional rift, most likely the same rift that the new Kubara weapons have come from, though this is only a theory and we have yet to prove or disprove it."

He took a sip of water and scanned his notes before continuing.

"With the help of the Guardians we have been able to explore much of the hive. We have uncovered much information including a V. R. program." He said watching the faces of his audience, "Some of the information was corrupted but most of it is intact. We have filled in the missing information with our own Gurhal data. There is a large section of data that is encoded and locked requiring a one hundred million kill count."

Gasps and whispers quickly swept across the crowd.

"I know this sounds like a lot but we believe with the help of everyone we can unlock this information." Tomrain said.

Laia signalled to him and he quickly stepped down as she stepped up.

"Every one please." She called, "We are not asking you to neglect your current duties but we do ask that your spare time or training time be spent in the VR program. The original program was labelled Maximum Attack."

"What?" Cerberus gasped.

Heidi looked up at the big cast.

"This program will be accessible from the Guardians front desk." Laia continued, "Mina will give you the appropriate key to which level difficulty you choose. It will be labelled Maximum Attack G. This program could be an important key to unlocking the mystery of the SEED. Also included in the information we found was schematics for new weapons and clothing. The new clothes are now available here on the colony. The other items can be obtained through a secondary synthesis program for exchange with items collected in the VR called weapons badges. This is also part of the locked information and the only way the program will release these item is through the exchange program."

"The programmers didn't want to make this easy did they?" Iceberg grumbled.

"Happy hunting and good luck everyone." Laia said.

She stepped down and followed Doctor Tomrain out. Slowly the audience also began to file out. Cerberus remained seated shaking his head. The others got up and started to file out. Heidi looked over at the hulking red android and stopped.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Maximum Attack, Weapons badges, the SEED." He replied, "This all has a familiar feel to it."

"Sitting here isn't going to solve anything." Heidi grinned, "Let's go try this VR program."

"Ok let's see what they've found." Cerberus nodded.

"I have to do one thing first." Heidi said holding up her finger.

"What's that?" Cerberus frowned.

Heidi frowned back placing her hands on her hips, "Are you kidding me, there's new cloths available."

She gave him a wink and hurried off to the third floor.

"Of course." Cerberus sighed shaking his head.

Cerberus, Phoenix, and Heidi stood in a small grassy bay surrounded by a high rocky wall. The exit was blocked by a blue force fence. Heidi, now sporting a blue HUnewearls uniform with purple trim looked around and gasped at the large white dome building in the distance. Just past the fence a large field surrounded by rocks and trees awaited them. There was a single door for an exit with two red glowing bars on it. Phoenix and Heidi started for the fence but Cerberus remained still.

"Cerberus, are you all right?" Heidi frowned.

"I can't believe it." Cerberus replied, "It's not exactly the same but it is with out a doubt Ragol."

"What?" Phoenix gasped.

"Really?" Heidi said spinning do face the field.

"That building in the distance is the Central Dome." Cerberus nodded.

"Pioneer One built that right?" Heidi said.

Cerberus nodded, "It was to be the government building for the new colony."

"So how did information on your world end up on a hive?" Phoenix asked.

"That's a very good question." Cerberus said.

"Tomrain did say they believe Rykros came from another dimension." Heidi said, "Maybe it came from yours."

"That would explain a lot." Cerberus said.

He stepped up to the fence and it disappeared starting the program. Four Booma's appeared first charging the group. They were followed by white Rappy Polec birds. Cerberus felt right at home fighting his old enemies. With the defeat of the rappies the door unlocked allowing them to continue. They exited through the door and followed the path. As they came to a T in the path some one called out.

"Is some one there?"

The group turned left toward the voice. On their right behind a blue laser fence stood a young brown haired human male dressed in an orange HUmar uniform.

"Be careful." He said, "They're still around here somewhere."

"Ash?" Cerberus frowned stepping up to the fence.

The program suddenly went slightly out of focus and froze.

"Oh great, you broke it." Phoenix grumbled.

"You know him?" Heidi asked stepping up beside him.

"He was a young hunter that went down to Ragol on a quest for his cousin." Cerberus said, "He got jumped by a pack of savage wolves. Deepfreeze and I went down and rescued him."

Phoenix's communicator beeped. He spent a moment talking to Tomrain before turning to the others.

"Tomrain says the program is still running but it's trying to access something buried deep in its code." Phoenix reported, "The program should continue once that data is retrieved. We are the only group to trigger this response. Tomrain is puzzled as to why?"

"Gee I wonder why?" Heidi frowned looking at Cerberus.

"It is possible that the file contains data on every hunter registered at the time this was sent out." Cerberus nodded.

The program flashed then skipped a bit before returning to normal. The group turned to
    Ash who stood staring up at the android.

"Cerberus, I'm glad you came." Ash replied.

Heidi gasped.

"Hi Ash." Cerberus nodded.

"What is going on?" Ash asked, "Ragol looks wrong. Hi Amanda, you've changed your uniform. The blue looks good on you."

"Thank you." Heidi blushed.

"What do you mean exactly?" Cerberus asked.

"I feel funny." Ash replied, "I also see other people here. They're not here but I can still see them and I can talk to them but I can't say anything more than a few select phrases over and over again. I see humans and Newmans though some are dressed really weird. Androids look funny too like your friend here."

Phoenix grunted.

"There are also humanoids that look like animals." Ash said, "Some of them have just entered the caves. There are strange monsters there. Not our mutant creatures we had first encounters with but new ones."

Cerberus turned to Phoenix.

"Tomrain did say he had to fill in gaps in the program using Gurhal data." Phoenix replied.

Cerberus nodded then turned to Ash.

"You are part of a VR program called Maximum Attack G." Cerberus said.

"Maximum Attack was Principal Tyrell's program." Ash frowned.

"We are wasting time with this program." Phoenix grumbled.

"You're right." Cerberus nodded.

The group turned to leave.

"Wait don't leave me behind." Ash called following them.

"Alright as long as you don't get in the way." Cerberus said.

"I won't." Ash nodded.

"He's not supposed to be able to follow us without permission." Heidi whispered to Phoenix.

"This whole thing bothers me." Phoenix grumbled back.

The group marched forward clearing the creatures from each section including a hidden area behind a fake rock wall. There they found a few weapons badges. They gathered up the badges then headed back through the fake wall. They quickly moved across the last area to the entrance to a cave. Just inside the cave mouth there was a red teleporter. Cerberus was the first to enter instantly disappearing. The others quickly followed.

CHAPTER TWENTY

The group reappeared in a lava filled underground cave. Flames and smoke billowed up from the holes in the floor. Heidi was surprised to find the air fresh and cool in a place that should be hot and dry."

"Our VR's were more realistic." Cerberus said.

"The environmental controls are malfunctioning." Phoenix replied, "It should be hot and heavy in here."

Cerberus stepped forward on the rock floor. At least it felt like rock. Three giant purple flower like creatures called Delpslami appeared before him. Beside them appeared small brown bipedal lizard like creatures named, Nava Ludda. The small creatures leaped forward spitting fire at the group. They split up heading in two directions. Cerberus and Phoenix went right to take out the Ludda. Heidi and Ash went left to deal with the Delpslami. One reared its head back then thrust it forward spewing a ball of Megid. Ash skidded to a halt as the ball past right in front of him. Heidi continued on slashing through the first flower. It died with one shot. She quickly moved to the others finishing them with ease.

"I do not believe the program anticipated the power of your weapons." Phoenix grinned as he watched Cerberus blast a Ludda to bits, "Be cautious, it may yet."

"I thought the difficulty was fixed for this level." Heidi frowned.

"Yes, but the program has already shown it's unpredictability." Phoenix said, "I suggest you not use those anymore. We can not anticipate its reaction to more alien technology."

"He's right Heidi." Cerberus nodded. "Stow your daggers. I won't use my rifle either."

The rifle vanished as its structure was stored in his pack. Heidi sighed and stowed her daggers in her nanotransformer. She drew the daggers that Phoenix had bought her. Cerberus drew a GRM made hand gun. They cleared out the next room, then entered a room with a photon charger cube in the center. The room had two doors, one straight ahead and one to the right. Ash seemed drawn to the door on the right. Heidi quietly followed him. Phoenix was busy showing Cerberus how the recharge cube worked and didn't see her sneak off. Ash slowly climbed the short ramp with his left arm stretched out in front of him as though he expected to run into something. The door slid open to a short dead end hallway. There was a blue barrier at the end of the hallway. Behind the barrier stood a blue eyed Newman girl dressed in a purple forces uniform. Ash started to approach the girl then the program froze for just a second before it continued. Ash seamed oblivious to the pause. He reached the barrier dropping his arm.

"She's not supposed to be here." He said staring at the girl.

"Huh?" Heidi jumped.

She didn't think he had been aware of her following him.

"All the other programs where I go with the other people, she's not there." Ash said still staring at the girl.

The girl frowned at him.

"Who is she?" Heidi asked.

"I'm Rupika." The girl said, "Ash, it's impolite not to introduce me to your new girlfriend."

"I'm not his girlfriend." Heidi replied quickly.

"Ash, what's going on here?" Rupika said, "I feel funny."

"You and I are part of a VR program." Ash replied.

"What?" She gasped, "You mean I'm not real?"

"No." Ash shook his head.

Rupika looked as though she was about to cry.

"You better come with us." Ash said holding out his hand, "Cerberus is here."

"Who's Cerberus?" Rupika frowned.

"Right, you never met him." Ash frowned.

Rupika took his hand and he gently pulled her through the barrier.

"Thank you; I was getting scared all by myself." Rupika smiled.

"She's cute." Heidi smiled.

"Yes, but she's missing her face paint." Ash nodded.

"What?" Rupika gasped, "Let me see."

Heidi quickly pulled a small compact mirror from her nanotransformer and handed it to Rupika. She popped the mirror open and gazed into a face that wasn't hers. She touched her cheek where the face paint used to be. She was on the edge of breaking down in tears.

"What's happened to me?" She whimpered, "Whose face is this?"

"I'm sorry." Heidi sighed, "The data in the program was incomplete."

"What is she talking about?" Rupika began to cry.

"We're not real." Ash said, "We are just pieces of a program."

He took Rupika and let her cry into his shoulder. Heidi felt sorry for her, even though she was just a program she seemed so real. Rupika quickly stopped crying and Ash let
    her go. Heidi smiled slightly then got a sudden feeling she was being watched. She turned around to find Phoenix starring down at her. Cerberus was fixed on the Newman girl.

"How many others did they put in here?"

"Did you know her?" Phoenix asked.

"Not personally." Cerberus shook his head, "Deepfreeze helped Bernie recover her but she was unconscious at the time. We never had any contact with her after that."

Rupika stepped forward to greet the newcomers.

"You're a RAcast." Rupika said.

"I'm Cerberus." He nodded.

"Are you part of the program?" She asked.

"No, I'm not." Cerberus shook his head.

Rupika turned to Phoenix.

"I don't recognize your design."

"I am not of your system." Phoenix stated.

"Like the others." Rupika said looking at Heidi, "You look like a HUnewearl but you don't feel like one."

"We need to keep moving." Ash said pulling Rupika's arm, "I don't know why we are being brought together in only this program but I suspect the answer is at the end."

Phoenix nodded and led the others on to the next section. They quickly flew through the next area of the caves and on to the next warp. The team appeared at the beginning of the brightly lit mines.

"Be careful, the machines here attack anyone from Pioneer Two." Ash blurted, "Oh, never mind."

"There is another presence here." Rupika said, "Someone is waiting for us."

Heidi felt a chill run up her spine as she followed the group in. They entered a large square room. A third of the room to their right was blocked by a blue barrier. The far end of the room was blocked by a solid fence. Behind this fence sat three turrets that spewed a stream of Megid when ever someone got too close. The team hugged the energy fence until the attacking machines were destroyed and the turrets deactivated. A pink haired Newman girl appeared behind the barrier. She had short hair, dark skin, and wore a black and red version of Heidi's outfit.

"Sue." Ash scowled.

"I should have known." Cerberus grumbled.

"Not a friend I take it?" Heidi tilted her head.

"She was a member of Black Paper." Cerberus said, "A black market organization dealing in stolen weapons and equipment and as it turned out people as test subjects."

"How awful." Heidi gasped.

The program didn't even slow down this time as Sue approached the barrier.

"You guys need to help me." Sue said looking around cautiously.

"And why should we do that?" Cerberus frowned.

"Cerberus." Sue frowned, "Of all the people. I don't suppose that pesky ranger master of yours is around here too."

"Deepfreeze is long dead." Cerberus shook his head.

"Pity." Sue smirked.

"I still don't see why we should help you." Ash frowned.

"Something is here and it's looking for me." Sue said, "I'm surprised you two don't feel it."

"I don't feel anything." Ash shook his head.

"All I feel is you." Rupika replied.

"And I feel him." Sue said looking around, "Please get me out of here."

"For the sake of the program we should take her with us." Phoenix said.

"We must hurry." Sue said stepping through the barrier.

The group continued through the mines with surprisingly little resistance. Phoenix expressed his displeasure with the lack of activity by deeply grumbling every time they entered an empty room or cleared one out with little to no effort. The mines ended with a locked door and a switch. Phoenix approached the switch taking a quick glance at the display.

"This switch should end the program." He said turning to the others, "It appears this is as far as we can go."

"It is for everyone else." Ash said, "They must increase the kill count to unlock the last level."

He looked around then a puzzled look grew across his face.

"How did I know that?"

Phoenix shrugged and tapped the switch. Instead of ending the program it unlocked the door.

"Now we may continue on." Rupika said.

Phoenix stepped toward the door causing it to open. Inside there was yet another warp. He was about to step in side when his communicator beeped.

"Yes." He snapped.

"This is Doctor Tomrain. We just lost the visual on your program. Several teams just finished with excellent scores that are being added to the count now but we've lost all information on your team."

"The last door in the mines just unlocked when I hit the switch." Phoenix reported.

"My information shows that door is tied to the kill count." Tomrain said, "It requires many more kills before it will unlock. Be careful Phoenix, your program is unstable and could become very dangerous."

"Understood Doctor." Phoenix nodded, "My team has nothing to fear with me guarding them."

"Humility isn't one of his strong points." Heidi whispered to Rupika.

Rupika nodded with a little giggle.

"Listen Cerberus." Sue said stepping up to the big android, "I know we haven't been on the best of terms in the past."

"Really?" Cerberus frowned.

"I can't make up for the things I've done." Sue said kicking the ground with her boot, "I was wrong to turn you over to Doctor Lazarus and also for trying to take over Pioneer Two."

"So you were programmed much later than I thought." Cerberus said coldly.

"Stop treating me like a blasted computer Cerberus." Sue cried.

"But you are." Cerberus glared back, "Whether you like it or not you are a computer program. The real Sue is long dead and never once showed any remorse for what she did, and not you or anyone else can apologize in her place."

Everyone was now staring at the two as they exchanged emotional blows.

"What happened to you Cerberus?" Sue shot, "You used to be the most likable guy on Ragol. No matter what anyone did you always found a way to forgive them."

"You did it Sue." Cerberus glared, "You did it."

He turned away and headed for the warp.

"What did I do?" Sue shrugged looking very hurt.

"Must have been after we were programmed." Ash said.

"My last memory was being approached by someone from something called ARKZ." Sue frowned.

"They are or were a small movement group that was unhappy with the way the government was being run." Ash said.

"Ah." Sue nodded, "They were gobbling up Black Paper members left and right."

Heidi frowned then quietly shifted over to Cerberus.

"What's ARKZ?" She asked softly.

"A separatist movement bent on over throwing the Pioneer Two government." Cerberus replied, "They were on the verge of winning when we left. In fact they almost didn't let us go."

"They let you go?" Heidi frowned with a slight smirk.

"Well we did have to convince them a little." Cerberus replied.

"So what did Sue exactly do to you?" Heidi asked.

"That is not for you to know." Cerberus said.

Phoenix finished his conversation with Doctor Tomrain then immediately turned and disappeared into the warp.

"So I guess we're clear to move on now." Cerberus sighed and stepped into the warp.

Heidi let out a soft chuckle and followed Cerberus into the warp. They appeared in a purple and black coloured hallway. The floor was made of grey stone. To their left was a door and on their right was a warp. Rupika and Ash were drawn to the warp. Sue stepped back and appeared terrified. Phoenix grumbled and followed the two hunters into it. Heidi went next. Cerberus started but stopped when he saw Sue backing away.

"I don't want to go there." Sue shook her head.

"You're a VR program." Cerberus said, "There is nothing that can hurt you."

"Then why am I afraid." Sue tapped her chest.

"I don't know." Cerberus said, "Nor do I have the time to find out."

He grabbed Sue by the arm and dragged her into the warp. They appeared in a dark room with the others. In front of them was a blue barrier.

"I'm getting a little sick of these things." Heidi muttered.

"As am I." Phoenix grumbled, "If I don't get to kill something soon."

"Easy big guy." Heidi said patting his arm.

The group moved forward. The fence disappeared and a tall purple HUcast appeared before them. An intense fear swept over Heidi. She wanted to run and hide but something kept her feet from moving. The HUcast stepped up to the group and looked at each member of the team. He didn't seem to recognize Heidi. It made her feel a little better.

"It's him." She whispered.

"Kireek." Cerberus spat.

"Black Hound." Sue quipped and dropped to her knees.

Kireek stepped up to Cerberus.

"I know you.'

"And I know you." Cerberus replied.

"You have been a worthy opponent." Kireek said, "Strong enough to impress me."

"I doubt the real Kireek would say the same thing." Cerberus shrugged.

"You were not involved in the crater investigation." Kireek frowned.

"I had other duties to perform." Cerberus replied.

He noticed that Kireek was not holding his Soul Eater and was actually pleasant. As pleasant as Kireek could get. This is the way he had been before coming to Ragol. Dark Falz had tormented him and twisted him into the evil maniac that Cerberus had pursued the rest of his former life and into his present one.

"Come." Kireek waved, "We have enemies to kill."

Sue stood up and frowned then tapped Cerberus on the arm.

"What's wrong with him?"

"So you noticed it too." Cerberus said, "Whoever programmed this simulation must have left evil Kireek out."

"Why did they have to leave all my bad traits and memories?" Sue sighed.

The group moved through the ruins finding very little resistance. At the end they found yet another warp. This warp took them to a large circular grass field. On the left there were six grave stones, flat and square, and set in a row of three. Each row was slightly inclined and faced the other row. To the right was a large stone monument. A set of stairs lead up to a flat alter. Behind the alter stood a tall obelisk. Heidi started for the monument but Cerberus grabbed her shoulder.

"No, last time bad things came out of that thing."

The four holograms had no problem approaching the monument. They climbed the stairs and stopped at the alter. A light rose up from the alter and consumed them. Heidi took off to try and help her new friends.

"Heidi no!" Cerberus yelled.

She reached the first step as the light flared forcing her and everyone to look away. When the light faded the four hunters were replaced by a red headed girl dressed in a white and red outfit. Cerberus stepped passed a stunned Heidi and climbed the steps.

"Hello Rico." He said as he reached the top.

"Hello Cerberus." She smiled, "It's good to see you again."

"So the programmer included you as well." Cerberus frowned.

"I am not part of the program." Rico replied, "Though it was the only way to reach you."

Whoa. This plot's getting deep, Freeze (a bad pun, I know, but I couldn't resist). You are truely one of the best writers ever on PSOW. I can't wait to see where this goes. Also, very thought-provoking. The programs and how they reacted completely differently to Cerberus, the appearance of Rico at the end. Can't wait for the next chapter.

I'm so glad you're enjoying it. Stay tuned, there's a lot more to come.

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

Isis found Iceberg on Parum seated at the table by the Koltova Juice Bar watching the odd Guardian come and go from the GRM store. Isis picked up a Koltova juice from Yokus Melton at the bar then sat down across from Iceberg and stared at him in the eye.

"Yes?" He grumbled.

"How long are you going to sit here and sulk?" Isis asked.

"I am not sulking." Iceberg growled.

"You're still upset they took you off the Illuminus case." Isis pointed, "You're sulking."

"That purple cast is still out there causing more problems than the entire Illuminus could dream of and they pull me off to play games in some VR program." Iceberg pounded the table, "My skills are much more valuable than that."

"They pulled you off for stress leave." Isis replied, "This cast has you wound up too tight. You have excellent control over your emotions but even I could see you were ready to snap."

"They even revoked my pass to Moatoob." Iceberg grumbled.

"It's the only way to keep you away from the Illuminus." Isis grinned, "Come on let's go try this VR program everyone is buzzing about."

Iceberg opened his mouth to reply but he caught movement out of the corner of his eye. He spun around to face the AMF building scanning the area intently. In the bushes on the right side of the building he spotted the unmistakable glint of the armour of a blue cast. He quickly activated his goggles and zoomed in. He watched intently as several casts entered a small opening in the building. The last to go was a Magashi clone. Iceberg sprang to his feet spilling the drinks on the table.

"Hey!" Isis exclaimed backing away to avoid the liquid, "Where are you going now?"

"Magashi." Iceberg said as he bolted away.

"Magashi, at the AMF?" Isis called as she ran after him.

Iceberg hopped the gate arm, ignoring the protests of the man on guard and hurried in. Isis apologized to the guard as she ran by. She caught up to Iceberg in the main lobby.

"So where to now?"

She glanced back to see the guard headed their way with weapon drawn. She knew his aim wouldn't be as accurate as the usual cast guard but he'd still be plenty deadly.

"Uh oh." Isis frowned, "Really P.Oed guard on his way."

"Then we better not stick around." Iceberg grumbled.

"You really have a way with people." Isis grinned, "You know that right?"

They quickly weaved through the empty corridors of the military building trying to find Magashi's entry point. They knew they were getting close when they rounded a corner, dodging laser blasts as they went. Iceberg drew his newly acquired longbow and aimed. The moment the first cast appeared, he fired planting a photon bolt into the side of its head. The second one appeared only to meet the same fate. The last two jumped out together only to be greeted by the blades of Isis' twin sabres that she drove them into their chests. They shorted out and spasmed as they slumped to the floor.

"These were just sentries left to guard the door." Isis frowned at the dead casts.

"Yes, but where are the others going?" Iceberg pondered aloud as he started down the hallway.

The hallway was very direct with no connecting corridors, only various rooms branching off of it. It ended with a single door and a sign that read AMF METRO RAIL.

"Doesn't the metro rail go underground to the training area?" Isis frowned.

"It also goes to planning and tactical strategies and research and development." Iceberg nodded.

"Normally those would all be very inviting targets." Isis nodded, "But with the AMF out of commission what would be the point?"

"I doubt the AMF got to clean things up before they all went crazy." Iceberg shrugged.

"Ah." Isis nodded, "Easy pickings for the Illuminus."

"Exactly." Iceberg grinned.

He stepped through the door into the main lobby. Four purple female casts holding launchers stood in the center of the room.

"Locked on target." They droned.

Isis charged forward while Iceberg sprayed cover fire scattering the casts. One cast fired at Isis. The launcher lobbed a fire ball of molten rock which Isis dodged by dropping to her knees, bending back and sliding under the arc of the Diga ball. She jumped to her feet and sliced off the casts arms then plunged the swords into the cast's chest.

"Forgive me Howzer." The cast wailed as it slumped to the ground.

"Howzer?" Isis frowned.

A second cast charged forward forcing Isis to abandon her train of thought. It tried to fire but its charge brought it close enough for Isis to swing at the weapon. Her sabre sliced down the side of the launcher puncturing the photon power pack. The explosion obliterated the cast and sent Isis flying back. Iceberg took the head clean of one cast then pelted the other with arrows before hurrying to Isis' side.

"Are you injured?" He asked.

"Some minor burns." She shrugged.

He drew out his wand and cast Resta healing her wounds.

"Thank you." She smiled as he helped her up.

"Those were SEED infected casts." Iceberg said, "That is not a good sign. If the SEED has infected this deeply…"

"I don't think so." Isis shook her head, "These casts belonged to the Illuminus. Howzer to be specific."

"That is even worse." Iceberg shook his head slowly.

"Let's go catch a train." Isis grinned and ran for the gate.

Iceberg just walked. He stepped by the check counter and on to the platform. The rail was empty. He looked up the line to see if the replacement tram was arriving. The rail ran a continuous circle between the two areas so that there would always be a train at each station. He saw nothing.

"It's possible we just missed them." Isis shrugged.

"Possible." Iceberg nodded.

He went back to the check counter and stepped behind the terminal. A couple quick taps brought up the rail display.

"Magashi's train has arrived at the other station but for some reason the other train has stopped just past the departure point." He explained, "I'll try to recall it."

He punched in a few commands then shook his head slowly.

The system knows the train is there but I can't access it."

"We have to walk then." Isis sighed.

"That will take to long." Iceberg grumble.

"How does maintenance get around?" Isis asked, "You know, if something breaks on the track. I doubt they carry hover boards."

"The sleds." Iceberg grinned, "Isis you're a genius."

"Well I don't know about genius." Isis blushed.

He quickly brought up the maintenance program and signalled for a maintenance sled." A short flat bed cart with a small open cab showed up. Isis climbed on to the bed as Iceberg climbed into the cab. He slowly eased the throttle forward and the sled accelerated quickly. Isis was forced to grab on to some tie rings to keep from sliding off. The bright florescent lighting became white streaks as the sled reached top speed.

"Can you slow down a little bit?" Isis yelled.

Iceberg pulled back on the sled but nothing happened.

"No, I have no control." He replied turning his head so she could hear better.

The strong wind grabbed his sunglasses and blew them off his face. He watched as the glasses landed on the track.

"Great, those were my favourite pair."

The sled began to slow down as it approached the other landing platform. Two casts cautiously approached the platform edge as the seemingly empty maintenance sled came to a stop. They looked down to see two hand guns pointed at their heads.

"Greetings." Iceberg smiled.

He and Isis fired at the same time landing both head shots. The casts fell back clattering on the metal platform. Iceberg took a quick look then climbed up on to the platform. He turned to help Isis up but she was already up. He frowned slightly.

"Beast, remember." She smiled.

"No matter the species it is always honourable for a male to assist a female." Iceberg replied.

"You are so old fashioned." She frowned then changed to a big grin, "That's why I love you."

Iceberg shook his head and sighed. He turned and headed for the door. Isis giggled as she followed him. There was no one guarding the hallway. Iceberg looked left then right finally resting on the sign in front of him. To the right was central control and planning. To the left were training and R and D.

"Which way do you think?" Iceberg asked.

"You're asking me?" Isis gasped.

"Don't sound so surprised." Iceberg growled.

"Well, if I were Magashi I'd look to secure the facility first." Isis replied.

"Central Control it is." Iceberg nodded.

"Iceberg, what is Central Control?" Isis asked, "I thought the head office was back at the administration building."

"So we were told." Iceberg said, "Something feels wrong here."

"You too?" Isis sighed, "I thought it was just me."

They passed several unmarked doors finally reaching the end. Two double doors with "CENTRAL CONTROL" written across them blocked the way. Iceberg reached out and pushed one door slightly. It opened a crack allowing warm humid air to escape. He released the door letting it swing shut.

"That has a familiar scent to it." Isis scowled.

"This is very bad." Iceberg grumbled.

"If there's a Seed infection this deep in the AMF then Laia needs to know about this." Isis shook her head slowly.

"We will." Iceberg nodded and drew his twin handguns, "After we deal with Magashi."

"I don't know Iceberg." Isis replied, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

Iceberg ignored her and proceeded inside. He was instantly greeted by a group of SEED creatures and infected casts. He charged in with guns blazing. Isis cautiously proceeded inside but couldn't shake the feeling that they were making a terrible mistake. The entire section had been transformed into a hive. Black and purple now dominated the colour of the walls that pulsed with organic rhythm. She drew her twin sabres and waited for the approaching group of SEED. She tore into them as soon as they were in reach. Purple blood splattered across the floor as she bisected the creatures with raw power that could only come from a beast. Iceberg continued through the section firing until his guns went dry then he popped in a photon charger and continued firing driving the creatures back as he went. Isis quickly took position behind him to cover the rear. Only the casts continued to provide a threat for in their crazed state they knew no retreat. The two Guardians finally reached the end exhausted and nearly out of chargers. They stood in front of a large door surrounded by the bodies of the dead SEED. Across the door there was a single word painted on it.

"Mother." Isis read, "What do you suppose that means?"

"Still have that feeling?" Iceberg asked.

"More than ever." Isis replied.

"It's about to be justified." Iceberg said as he started to open the door.

"Then why go in?" Isis asked grabbing his arm.

"It is our duty." Iceberg stated.

Isis released his arm and nodded. Iceberg gave the door a hard push and stepped through.

"INTRUDERS DETECTED. SECURITY SYSTEMS ACTIVATED!"

At the end of the long ramp the upper half of a gold and black metal female creature rose up. Her waist was attached to the floor. She had long thin arms and a face that sported four eyes. Two were smaller and seated below the two larger ones. She had no visible mouth. Out of her back stretched two long robotic arms with giant drills mounted on the end. Iceberg drew his bow.

"She looks like Dulk Fakis." Isis gasped.

"Quite right." A voice said from behind them.

Iceberg and Isis spun to face the new threat. Magashi stepped out from a dark corner. The SEED creature started to attack but Magashi waved her off.

"What you see before you is the real AMF." Magashi smirked as he started to circle the Guardians, "Say hello to Mother Brain."

"What is all this?" Isis scowled.

"Cast arrogance turned against them." Magashi shrugged, "Mother Brain is the central computer that controls the AMF. While all AMF casts possess their own free will, the bureaucrats decided to include a little program that under certain circumstances could strip the soldiers of their will and operate it as one single unit controlled by Mother Brain here. They never imagined that we would be able to turn that little function against them. We simply infected Mother Brain with Seed and the entire military became senseless killing machines gone completely out of control."

"Some casts aren't crazy all the time." Isis pointed.

"Yes, a little problem we just fixed." Magashi grinned evilly.

"Not every one in the AMF are casts." Iceberg growled, "What did you do with them."

"Nothing." Magashi shrugged, "Their own peers handled the problem for us, though they did leave quite a mess. I can almost hear the screaming now as the casts swarmed in on the organics and tore them to pieces with their bare hands."

"You're sick." Isis spat.

"You won't get away with this." Iceberg growled, "When we inform Guardian Command."

"I'm afraid I can't allow that." Magashi shrugged.

"Who's going to stop us?" Iceberg growled, "You?"

"Not me." Kireek said stepping through the door, "Consider yourselves our prisoners."

"Just the two of you?" Iceberg chuckled, "I hardly think so."

Kireek took a step forward.

"I want them alive." Magashi said.

Kireek nodded and lunged at the Guardians with blinding speed, took two swings and stepped back. Iceberg and Isis' weapons fell into two pieces.

"Impressive." Iceberg grinned.

"Don't try to draw again." Kireek said, "I will cut you down before you could reach your back."

"I believe you." Iceberg frowned.

"What's the plan?" Isis whispered taking a defensive posture.

"Nothing." Iceberg shook his head.

"What!" Isis gasped.

"A good warrior knows when to fight and when he is beaten." Iceberg replied, "There is no need to die today."

"Phoenix would disagree with you." Isis shrugged.

"Phoenix is not here." Iceberg replied.

Four casts rushed in and took the Guardians into custody. Kireek grabbed Iceberg by the arm as he was being ushered by.

"You two have been a severe thorn in my side these last three months." He growled, "Wasted time I don't have. I shall enjoy making you pay."

"Then this is not a complete defeat." Iceberg replied.

Kireek released Icebergs arm and let the casts take them away. Kireek turned and quietly ascended the ramp up to where Magashi was giving Mother Brain some last instructions.

"I believe you now owe me payment." Kireek said.

"What payment." Magashi replied trying to look surprised.

"The parts you told me were stored here." Kireek growled.

"Oh yes." Magashi pretended to remember, "Right this way."

Kireek grabbed Magashi by the shoulder and spun him to face him.

"Do not anger me Renvolt." Kireek growled, "You and your clones won't survive my true wrath."

Magashi shrugged off Kireek's grip and frowned.

"Remember with out us you can't get off this planet, let alone out of this system."

"Do not under estimate my power." Kireek glared.

"And don't you underestimate ours." Magashi replied then walked away.

Kireek slammed the butt end of the Soul Eater into the floor and left a dent.

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

"You can't really be here." Cerberus gasped, "You and Heathcliff combined spirits to finally destroy Dark Falz. He's gone and so are you."

"A small part of our spirits still exist." Rico smiled, "I am just a fragment of that girl."

"A fragment is enough then." Cerberus shrugged.

"It's enough for Dark Falz as well." Rico sighed.

She waved her hand and the others disappeared leaving the two of them alone. Rico hopped off the alter and took his hand.

"Dark Falz is the Profound Darkness." She said, "In his spirit state he can never truly be destroyed. Even now pieces of him exist here in Gurhal."

"Kireek." Cerberus spat.

"Kireek does have a piece but that is very small and not the one I was referring to." Rico said, "On Rykros, it is not all him but it will be enough to cause serious harm to this system."

"Could he destroy Gurhal completely?" Cerberus asked.

"If he is released then yes absolutely." Rico nodded, "This system does not know his evil. What they have faced so far is nothing compared to what is coming."

"Then I must go to this Rykros and stop him." Cerberus said.

"No." Rico shook her head, "It is not time yet for that. The Guardians may need your help eventually but that is not your path right now. You must seek out the one from the prophecy. That is the immediate danger right now. There is another looking for this power. He has been searching since the beginning of time and I fear he will soon be reunited with his missing parts."

"Is Kireek part of this?" Cerberus frowned.

"I'm sure of it but what part I do not know." Rico sighed.

She waved her hand and both Heidi and Phoenix reappeared looking a little shocked.

"Heidi." Rico smiled, "You're a spitting image of your Great Grandmother. I sense her strength in you and something else. Something that should not be there."

"What?" Heidi sputtered, "What's inside me?"

She could hardly find the words to speak to this girl. She wasn't sure if it was the shock of hearing something was in her or the omnipresence that this girl seemed to radiate. The girl looked at her with a soft smile.

"Deep inside you lies a power locked away in your DNA. A result of an experiment that should never have been done." Rico replied.

"The same as Amanda had then." Cerberus said.

"More so." Rico's smile faded, "Amanda was a cross between Newman and human but Heidi also possesses DNA from this dimension. The mixing of human, altered Newman, and Gurhal Newman has given her a mental strength neither system has ever seen before."

"Cool." Heidi smiled.

"There is a price for this power." Rico pointed at Heidi, "While you possess Amanda's strength you also possess her weakness."

"What weakness?" Heidi gasped.

"Lack of control." Cerberus said softly, "That is why she could never use them. Each time it either nearly killed her or everyone around her. I was hoping you didn't have this."

"So what do I do?" Heidi looked ready to cry, "Can I still use a wand?"

"I'm sure Cerberus has started you on technique training." Rico said looking at the android.

Cerberus nodded.

"Good, you may yet learn to control them." Rico nodded, "Perhaps your Gurhal DNA will provide the control you need but I'm not sure. There is something blocking me from seeing your core."

"Is she the one we're looking for?" Cerberus asked hopefully.

Rico laughed, "You're journey is not that easy Cerberus. Look at her, White hair, blue eyes, and slightly tanned skin. She is the exact opposite of the one you seek. You must seek out the one with hair black as night, skin as white as snow and eyes of flame."

The smile quickly drained from Rico's face as she stared at Heidi. A sudden chill ran up Heidi's back.

"Heidi is the one to find the child, I'm sure of that." Rico said, "One more thing, the missing piece of your puzzle can be found on Neudaiz. Find it and you'll have the path to the power of life."

Rico began to fade away.

"Wait, I need to ask you more." Cerberus charged forward holding out his hand.

"My time is gone. Yours lies ahead." Rico said in a hallow voice then vanished.

The three stood silent for a moment. A soft warm breeze drifted across the field rustling Heidi's hair.

"Who is she?" Heidi asked softly, "And what is inside me?"

"Rico Tyrell." Cerberus replied, "A very dear friend."

"How did she die?" Phoenix asked.

Heidi jabbed him in the side with her elbow.

"It's alright." Cerberus waved, "She was consumed by Dark Falz. It gave him a solid
    body. We lost many hunters destroying it and freeing her spirit."

"END PROGRAM." The computer announced.

The field disappeared leaving them in an empty room. Doctor Tomrain rushed through the door with Laia and Lou on his tail.

"What was it?" He asked excitedly, "What did you see?"

"A compass." Cerberus replied and walked out.

"A compass?" Tomrain frowned.

"What happened here?" Laia asked glaring at the two Guardians.

"We saw a red headed girl." Heidi shrugged.

"A girl?" Laia frowned.

"Who was she? What did she say?" Tomrain asked excitedly, "Did she say how to stop the Seed?"

"No she didn't." Heidi replied.

Cerberus began to wonder how many of these Relic sites existed, as he brought the flyer down near the entrance. This site had been discovered many years ago but the AMF or more accurately the now defunct Endrom Collective had quarantined the site preventing anyone from exploring it. With the AMF soldiers out of control there was no one left to guard the entrance. Heidi stepped off the flyer first followed by her father then Cerberus and Phoenix. She took a deep breath of the fresh air. There was a hint of blossoms drifting along the soft warm breeze. The soft wind felt good against her exposed skin. Originally she thought the HUnewearl uniform might be too skimpy even for her, but despite the repeated protests from her father, she found that it provided the best mobility for her style of fighting. It was actually quite comfortable and she did enjoy the attention from the boys. She shook the thought from her head and headed for the entrance.

"Be alert." Phoenix said stepping up beside her, "These sites contain many dangers."

"Have you been inside one?" Heidi asked.

"A couple of times." Phoenix nodded, "The first time did not go well."

He headed inside without another word. Heidi frowned then drew her S-red Blades and followed him inside. Cerberus was standing at the entrance looking around. Jon stood quietly beside him holding his rod.

"I don't detect any hostiles." Cerberus said, "It's safe to proceed."

"Guess you should have told them." Jon said pointing at Heidi and Phoenix.

"Doesn't anyone follow safety procedures?" Cerberus sighed.

"Rarely." Jon shook his head.

They moved swiftly through the corridors being very careful not to awaken the creatures that lived here. The heart of the site housed a large A Photon reactor that had burned out long ago. The team split up and began to carefully search the entire room. Heidi shivered as a sudden cold draft blew over her. She looked around to find its source but saw nothing. As she worked her way to the back she felt it again. There was a square column sticking out from the wall where the breeze felt like it was coming from. As she approached the column the breeze faded away. The column had pictures carved into it. At the top was a planet with people all around it. As she followed the pictures down, she saw a space craft landing there. The people welcomed the visitors giving them gifts. The next picture was of a giant monster that rained fire down on the people. There was a girl with flames coming out of her eyes standing on the dead, defying the monster. The next picture looked as if she was shooting fire from her hands as three orbs where the monster had been flew off into space. The last picture was of the girl holding something as she boarded a ship. It was followed by a large rectangular indent carved into the stone. Heidi knelt down on one knee and ran her hand across the indent.

"Find something Snowflake?" A voice asked.

Heidi turned and gave her father a frown.

"I'm sorry, I forgot. Don't call you snowflake." Jon sighed, "Some habits are hard to break."

"I understand Dad it's just a child's nickname isn't good for a Guardians reputation."
    Heidi smiled.

"How did you grow up so fast?" Jon shook his head.

Heidi ignored the question and continued to stare at the column.

"Something was taken from here." She said.

"No one has been here since the earthquake first uncovered it." Jon frowned.

"We don't know that for sure." Phoenix said, "I'm sure the Endrom Collective did plenty of looting while they were here. Not to mention it's been unguarded for the last three months."

"It would have to be an experienced person." Jon nodded, "That's the only way they could have gotten in or out without waking the Stateria."

"It would also take someone who new what this was to be bothered taking this." Heidi said.

"Well, we don't know what it was or what it had on it." Phoenix said, "Thieves would gladly take it if they thought it was worth something."

"Rico was right." Cerberus said as he stared at the column.

"Who?" Jon asked.

"No one Dad." Heidi replied softly.

Cerberus pointed at the indent, "The star chart has been removed. Without it we have no chance of finding the life power."

"Maybe that purple cast got here first." Heidi suggested.

"If he did then we'll just have to take it back." Phoenix growled.

A loud metallic clang echoed from the hallway, followed by heavy metal footsteps. Phoenix instantly drew his knuckles

"We have awakened a Stateria." He growled.

"You think he's upset we woke him up early." Jon smirked.

"It does not matter." Phoenix sighed, "We must go through it to get out."

"What is a Stateria?" Cerberus asked.

"An ancient mechanical guardian left here to guard the A-photon reactors at the heart of every Relic site." Jon said pulling a rod from his nanotransformer, "They're very diligent with their work."

"It sounds big." Cerberus said as the group moved into the hallway.

The hallway was empty but they could still hear movement coming from the next room.

"It has cut off our escape." Phoenix said as he crept down the hallway, "We must face it."

Heidi thought he sounded a little too happy about that prospect for her liking. She would have preferred a quiet exit from the site. After hearing stories of these things from Guardians training she was not looking forward to seeing one.

"This will be good training for you." Phoenix said to her.

"I have my licence now." She frowned, "I don't need training."

"YOU always need training." Phoenix snapped, "Even I never stop training so you Newman definitely can't stop training."

Heidi stepped back from the attack then frowned, "Exactly what is that supposed to mean?"

Phoenix ignored her as he slowly approached the door. It slid open to a pair of massive legs.

"At least it can't get out." Cerberus shrugged.

"But I want in." Phoenix growled.

He charged forward slamming his shoulder into the giant guardian. The mechanical statue stumbled back then regained its posture holding up its massive sword and bounced on the tips of it feet like a boxer readying for a bout. Phoenix ran full force at the Svaltus. It swept it's sword in front of it catching Phoenix, knocking him back. The others poured through the door taking up attacking positions. Jon let loose first with Megid. It didn't kill it but it did knock the machine back. Cerberus fired taking small chunks out of its armour.

"Hmm." He muttered softly.

"What is it?" Heidi asked.

"Not sure." Cerberus shook his head.

Phoenix went sailing between them as he was knocked away again.

"I see now why the first time went so badly." Heidi laughed at him.

The Svaltus turned its attention to Jon who had to dodge and dive to avoid the chopping sword.

"Dad!" Heidi cried.

She charged forward at full run finally leaping at the creature with blades ready. Something cold and hard slammed into her throat and squeezed. The svaltus lifted her off the floor holding its arm stretched out. It drew its arm in and flung her across the room like a rag doll. Heidi landed hard with her head smacking against the floor. She didn't black out but her vision went blurry and a massive head ache swarmed over her. Cerberus continued to fire as Phoenix moved in. The svaltus turned to the cast. Jon let out a blast of Foie that smashed into the svaltus back. It stumbled forward then turned to face its new attacker.

"Big mistake." Phoenix grinned.

He leaped onto the creatures back smashing his knuckle into the creatures armour then he pulled a piece back to expose the beast's internal workings. He spotted the A- photon reactor powering it. He started to reach in but the svaltus grabbed his other arm first and flung him off. He landed hard and rolled to his feet.

"The photon reactor is exposed!" He yelled.

"Think you can hit it?" Jon asked.

"If I can see it." Cerberus nodded.

"Then start aiming." Jon replied.

He charged out past the svaltus hitting it with Diga as he ran by. The svaltus turned with him and began bouncing on its feet. Jon stood firm hoping Cerberus could shoot it before it charged. Heidi's vision cleared just in time to see her father set up as bait. The svaltus charged. Cerberus fired. Heidi screamed for her father. The svaltus swung its sword then exploded in a giant fire ball blasting Jon back. He lay motionless. Heidi jumped to her feet and ran to her father. He was badly burned and blood trickled from the wound in his side where the svaltus sword had penetrated his line shield.

"Dad." Heidi said holding back her tears, "Dad say something."

Cerberus and Phoenix hurried over to the two Newmans. Cerberus took a quick scan then shook his head.

"He's not dead but his vitals are very weak." Cerberus said, "We have to get him to a hospital quick."

"I will carry him out." Phoenix said.

He bent over to pick Jon up when Cerberus grabbed his shoulder.

"Wait, his vitals just spiked. I'm detecting a broken spine though I don't think there's any damage to the cord yet. He's got internal bleeding too."

"Then moving him will surely kill him." Phoenix shook his head.

"Exactly." Cerberus nodded, "Stay here and I'll go radio for help."

Phoenix nodded. Cerberus headed for the exit at full run. Jon groaned and opened his unburned eye.

"Heidi sweetie." He horsed, "I'm sorry."

"No Dad." Heidi shook her head, "You're going to be all right."

"I can feel my life slipping away." He groaned, "Be strong my girl. Help protect Gurhal, and find your mother."

"No." Heidi cried, "We'll get you out of here, just hold on."

"I'm sorry." Jon whispered then closed his eye.

"No Dad no!" Heidi cried out then bent over resting her head on his chest.

Phoenix started to speak when he noticed Heidi had stopped crying. Cerberus returned and also stopped when he notice the girl wasn't crying.

"Something is wrong." Phoenix said.

"Very wrong." Cerberus nodded, "The rescue team is half an hour away."

"It doesn't matter now." Phoenix said softly.

A bright light began to glow around Heidi. It grew in intensity until it was almost blinding. She looked to the sky and a ring of sparkling light blasted out from her. Cerberus and Phoenix shielded their eyes until the light passed. They looked back to see Heidi slumped on the floor.

"No!" Cerberus gasped and ran to her.

Phoenix followed behind. Cerberus reached her just as Jon let out a soft grunt and slowly sat up. His wounds here completely healed.

"What, what happened?" He asked.

"That was a technique." Phoenix said softly, "Wasn't it?"

Cerberus nodded, "An uncontrolled one."

"Heidi!" Jon gasped scooping up his daughter, "Heidi no."

"She used Resta directly from her minds TP." Cerberus said, "I don't suppose any one has any monofluids?" Cerberus asked.

"This is no time for jokes." Jon shot.

"What is a monofluid?" Phoenix asked.

"That answers my question." Cerberus sighed, "Never mind."

"No, tell us what it is." Jon said, "Could it help my daughter."

"On Coral it was a liquid used to restore a persons TP." Cerberus sighed, "Since you've never heard of it means you don't have it."

"You don't have any?" Jon asked.

Cerberus shook his head, "I'm an android I don't have TP so there was no need for me to carry it."

Jon picked her up and started to leave.

"She needs a doctor." He said.

Phoenix ran to him.

"It would be quicker if I carry her."

Jon reluctantly handed his daughter over to the cast. The group hurried down the long corridors and through the large rooms now full of light element creatures. Cerberus led the way using his Justy to easily blast a path for them. They finally burst through the exit and nearly ran down a Newman boy and his heard of sheep like creatures.

"You!" Phoenix barked.

The boy jumped back looking absolutely terrified.

"Where is the nearest Doctor?" Phoenix asked sharply.

"There… is ….a…healer in the village." The boy stammered, "Not far. That way."

The boy pointed to their right then quickly ran off with his herd in tow.

"You frightened that boy." Cerberus said.

"There is no time for that." Phoenix shook his head, "This girl needs help."

He quickly bolted down the path leaving the others to play catch up. They did so only after Phoenix had reached the village, scaring most of the locals and thrusting Heidi on the healer. Heidi was lying on a bed with the woman hovering over her when Jon and Cerberus finally entered the cabin.

"How is she?" Jon asked.

"Ah you must be the father." The woman said looking up, "She will be alright. I have given her an herbal tea that promotes mental regeneration but she will be asleep for quite a while."

"That's a relief." Jon smiled and went to his daughter's side.

"What happened to her?" The woman asked Phoenix, "I've never seen anyone with their mental energy drained this low."

"We were attacked in the relic's site." Phoenix replied, "Her father was fatally injured. She healed him with Resta."

"Lot's of people use Resta." The woman began.

"Without a wand." Phoenix finished.

"That is strictly forbidden." The woman said.

"Her father would be dead if she didn't." Cerberus said, "That's why she did it."

The woman nodded, "Then I won't report this."

"We are honoured." Phoenix bowed.

"Now, what were you gentlemen doing in such a dangerous place like that?" The woman frowned.

"Guardians business." Phoenix replied.

Cerberus sighed with a shake of his head, "We were looking for what we think might be a stone tablet with star charts engraved on it, but someone had already removed it."

"The AMF has been guarding that place for years." The woman said, "It couldn't have been recently. I do remember hearing a story about someone going there but I'm afraid it was a long time ago."

"You must remember." Phoenix urged, "It is most important."

"I was just a little girl." The woman shook her head, "If he's still alive you could try Old Man Morok. He lives or lived in the old library outside of town. We used to go there to listen to his stories but as he aged he became unstable and even violent. No one dares visit him anymore."

"It's worth a shot." Cerberus shrugged.

"Not a very good one." Phoenix grumbled.
    Last edited by Freeze; May 14, 2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added content

Content added to the end of the last chapter.

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Iceberg awoke with a pounding headache. He was in a dark concrete cell that smelled of rotting flesh and feces. He sat up and looked around. The straw bed he had been lying on was clean enough but the rest of the cell was a different story. There was no bathroom facility in the cell and though the floor was concrete it was covered in a mud like substance that had been recently shovelled out. Iceberg doubted very much is was mud and decided to remain on the bed. He was alone in the cell but he heard two voices coming from outside.

"Hey, I need to talk to someone." He called.

The voices stopped and he heard one person rush off. A moment later he heard the latch unlock and the door swung open flooding the room with light. He was glad they hadn't taken his sunglasses. A tall dark beast wearing rags stood in the door way.

"Exit." He barked.

Iceberg slid off the bed and hurried out of the cell. Two human guards accompanied the beast and took up positions behind Iceberg.

"Follow." The beast growled.

He started down the hallway that looked to have been crudely carved from the underground rock and was dimly lit by crude hanging lights. Judging by the type of rock in the walls he concluded that he must be on Moatoob. The beast leading him wore a metallic color around his neck that had a ring of deactivated lights around its circumference. Iceberg stared at it pondering its possible use. They boarded a mining elevator and began to descend down the shaft. The elevator stopped at the next level and the beast stepped off without a word. Iceberg followed him taking in as much information as his senses could feed him. He would need it for his escape but first he had to locate Isis. The beast led him up a short set of stairs to a well furnished office. Howzer was seated behind the desk accompanied by two guards and a Newman slave girl. Iceberg eyed the girl closely and could not shake the impression that she looked a little like Phoenix's partner Heidi only with blonde hair and green eyes. Howzer looked up and smiled as pleasantly as he could.

"Welcome Mr Iceberg, to my office and head base of the Illuminus."

"What do you want Howzer." Iceberg scowled.

"An available ear and an open mind." Howzer replied rising from his seat, "Being a Guardian I know it can be difficult for you."

"Cut the dramatics and get to the point." Iceberg growled.

"A man of action, I like that." Howzer grinned, "The Illuminus is an ever growing movement looking for any and all humans that are tired of being on the bottom of the social scale."

"And you think I'm going to see your side and join you." Iceberg frowned.

"I want you to listen." Howzer replied holding up a finger, "And keep an open mind. The Illuminus is about restoring our place as the dominant species in this system, as we should be. Here in our underground network we have restored what once was. Here Cast, Newman, and Beast serve us as it was originally. We created them to serve us. Casts, our machines, beasts our labourers, and Newmans well a failed experiment really."

Howzer stepped up to the Newman girl and gently took her by the head.

"Our servants are all they are good for." He said and released the girl, "The hundred years of peace is a lie. It has been one hundred years of human enslavement and racism. Aren't you tired of the cast arrogance on Parum? Some won't even look at a human let alone talk to one. How beasts on Moatoob look away or even growl at you as they walk by. Don't even get me started about the Newmans."

"They constantly look down on us and turn their backs every time we seek help." Iceberg said trying to sound hurt.

"Exactly!" Howzer snapped his fingers, "And we are supposed to worship one of them. It wasn't always like that. There was peace before the war too. When we controlled things."

"So the whole point of the Illuminus is to restore human supremacy." Iceberg frowned.

"We were here first." Howzer glared, "Without us they would not exist."

"How do I fit in?" Howzer shrugged crossing his arms.

"You're human." Howzer shrugged, "And with your Guardians access you could bring down the very lie that keeps this movement stalled. We tried planting our own agents in the Guardians but they or he betrayed us for them. At least his son does our bidding."

"You're talking about Ethan?" Iceberg laughed, "That pitiful excuse for a Guardian couldn't do anything right. Even now he's some where stumbling around in your works."

"Yes, I follow his actions quite closely." Howzer grinned.

"You're driving him." Iceberg raised an eye brow.

"Howzer just smirked.

"Excellent." Iceberg nodded, "This all sounds good but do you have the infrastructure to pull this off?"

"Let me show you what we have accomplished." Howzer grinned then turned to the
    beast, "Brutus, you're with me. The others shall remain here."

"Brutus?" Iceberg raised an eye brow, "Isn't that a little cliché."

"His original name was Bartholomew but I think Brutus suits him much better." Howzer smirked, "Don't you think?"

Iceberg just shrugged. Howzer led him out of the office with Brutus following and made his way back to the lift explaining the grand vision of the Illuminus as he went. The ride down to the bottom was quiet.

"And now." Howzer began as he stepped off the lift, "I'll show you Gurhals future."

The short tunnel from the lift opened on to a vast cavern busy with mining. There had to be at least a hundred or more beasts all dressed in rags and wearing collars working the carts and machinery. Iceberg suspected there were many more out of sight in the tunnels. One of the Magashi clones stood on the edge of the ledge over looking the operation. He turned and bowed when he heard Howzer approach.

"Everything is operating smoothly." He cooed then scowled at Iceberg, "What is that doing here?"

"Now, now Magashi." Howzer replied waving a finger, "We must be welcoming to all new applicants."

"Him?" Magashi scoffed, "He's a Guardian and a friend to that beast. He's too brainwashed by Guardian propaganda."

If Iceberg was to pull off this deception and earn their trust then he knew now was going to be the selling point. He stepped forward and jabbed Magashi in the chest with his finger.

"That beast was my partner not my friend." He growled, "Guardians are assigned partners, we do not get to pick"

"Yet you have worked with her for many years." Magashi smirked.

"The Guardians do not accept race as reason for a transfer." Iceberg grumbled.

"That is not a problem in the Illuminus." Howzer slapped Iceberg's back.

"This is sounding better by the minute." Iceberg grinned.

Magashi continued to scowl as he watched the two men head for the lift that descended to the mine floor. He grabbed Brutus by the arm as the beast walked by.

"Watch the Guardian very closely." Magashi growled in his ear, "Report to me anything suspicious he does."

"Yes Sir." Brutus growled softly.

Magashi released his arm allowing him to join the men on the lift. The lift descended quickly stopping with a slight thud. The air was hot, thick, and dusty making it a little hard to breath. Howzer handed him a respirator mask that contained a microphone and earpiece.

"The air can be pretty toxic down here so do not remove your mask." Howzer said.

Iceberg simply nodded.

"The beasts were genetically designed for this so that's were we have returned them." Howzer said.

He led Iceberg through the busy open cavern being careful to avoid the moving carts full of ore. One or two beasts would push in a full cart from one of the tunnels and drop it off at a conveyor for unloading then pick up an empty cart and return to the tunnel. A pair of beasts waiting at the conveyor would shovel the ore off the cart and onto the conveyor scoops that took it up to a higher level.

"This is of course the unloading area." Howzer said, "Normal beast labour is quite adequate for this work. The real genius of the Illuminus is in the mining tunnels."

"Fascinating." Iceberg mumbled.

"This mine is the richest on all of Moatoob." Howzer boasted, "There are veins of just about every precious metal you can think of running all through these tunnels. It's all used to fund our organisation and since the seed threat the big three can't get enough of this stuff. It's all crude ore until it goes up to the processing plant."

"How do you sell this?" Iceberg frowned, "Surely no one would openly buy from the Illuminus."

"Quite right." Howzer nodded, "The mine is run through a dummy corporation and the metal is sold through two different companies."

"Why has most of your activities been so small scale if you're making so much meseta?" Iceberg asked.

"Most of our meseta has gone into A-photon research." Howzer replied.

"You mean the Sochee; you’re A-photon bomb." Iceberg frowned.

"You read Laia's report on Ethan." Howzer laughed, "Very good."

"It's sort of mandatory." Iceberg replied.

"Of course it is." Howzer nodded.

He led Iceberg into a mining tunnel where beasts were lined up along each wall using simple picks and shovels to remove the ore. Many of the beasts were in their nanoblast form. The ring of lights on their collars glowed bright red.

"This is where our true genius lies." Howzer said proudly.

"Wouldn't it be easier to use photon blasters to remove the ore from the mine?" Iceberg frowned.

"Easier yes." Howzer nodded, "But not nearly as cost effective. Photon charging gets expensive."

"True." Iceberg shrugged.

"Beast nanopower is extremely cheap." Howzer said, "Our collars use very little power and can maintain the blast form indefinitely."

"That would kill a beast would it not?" Iceberg asked sounding uninterested.

"Yes it does, so we have them rotate through four hour shifts." Howzer replied, "One hour in blast form, three in normal to allow the body to recover. We lost a lot of beasts before we figured that one out."

"I'll bet." Iceberg faked a grin.

"Other than basic food and water the labour is completely free." Howzer explained,
    "Some, like Brutus here, even make good body guards."

"You're not worried about him trying to get you while you sleep." Iceberg smirked.

"That was a concern." Howzer said holding up a finger, "We installed a controller in the collar. It sends a paralyzing electric shock through them if they try to harm anyone, including other beasts. We have no fights, no arguments, no violence."

"Impressive." Iceberg nodded once.

He took careful measures to check each beast as they passed down the tunnel. Everyone was wearing simple rags for clothing and nothing more but since the air was so hot down here it was for the best. Iceberg spotted Isis who looked directly at him as he walked passed. He only paid her a passing glance knowing he'd hear about it later. He could almost feel the lasers she was shooting into his back.

"Your partner no?" Howzer smirked.

"I believe it was." Iceberg shrugged, "How's her productivity?"

"Not very good." Howzer shook his head, "But it's that way with all new beasts. It won't take long to break her."

"Good." Iceberg nodded.

"Mr. Iceberg." Howzer said grabbing him by the shoulder, "I am shocked at how little compassion you have for your partner."

"She is merely a beast." Iceberg said, "This is right where she belongs."

He pulled his shoulder free and looked up as though he were trying to drag up a painful memory.

"It has been bad being a human during these times but what the beasts did to me has been especially difficult." He lied, "Then to add insult to injury the Guardians put me with a beast partner."

"Why did you stay?" Howzer asked.

"I am a man of honour." Iceberg replied, "I made a vow to serve the people of Gurhal. As a Guardian I can fulfill that vow, or so I thought. This has been most enlightening and I am beginning to think that I might better serve my species here."

"Then you do understand." Howzer grinned.

He turned down an adjoining tunnel and headed back to the open cavern.

"Of course I understand." Iceberg growled, "Just like every other warm blooded human. The only difference is I have not been brain washed by government bureaucracy run by the subspecies. Sometimes I wish we were the only species."

"Then you may be ready for the final end to the Illuminus goal." Howzer grinned stepping on to the lift.

He pulled his mask off and handed it to a guard. Iceberg did the same then stepped on to the lift.

"What end?" He asked as the lift began to ascend.

"Not here." Howzer shook his head, "Not with so many ears."

The lift stopped and Howzer stepped off.

"Brutus, please show Mr. Iceberg to the guest room." Howzer ordered then turned to Iceberg, "Please rest up; I shall speak with you later."

"Alright." Iceberg nodded.

Howzer turned and headed for the lift that would take him back to his office. Brutus turned away from the lift and headed the other way. Iceberg followed but stayed out of arms reach.

"So how did you get such an honourable position as this?"

"I was a good little beast." Brutus growled.

Iceberg detected a hint of shame in the growl and suspected that Brutus may have betrayed a few of his fellow beasts to get here.

"What did you do before the Illuminus?" Iceberg asked casually.

"I do not wish to speak to human scum like you." Brutus hissed, "I obey because I must, because this is better than working in the tunnels. If I had a choice I'd tear your lungs from your chest and let you stare at them while you gasp for breath."

"Charming." Iceberg muttered.

If he could convince Brutus to help him, he might have a chance to escape with Isis and any other beasts they could free. This would be difficult but Iceberg was not one to back down from a challenge. They boarded a fully enclosed elevator and began to ascend at a very high speed. The ride up remained very quiet. Iceberg kept a full distance away from the beast who stood watching the levels click away on the display. The finally stopped and the doors opened to a fully finished hallway that looked as if it had been plucked right from a five star hotel. The carpet was plush and a deep red colour. The walls were painted light beige with hanging tapestries that matched the carpet. Small end tables sat at random locations along the wall supporting various potted plants. The paintings on the walls were all landscapes from all over Gurhal. The room doors were all light stained wood with gold knobs. Iceberg stepped off the elevator and whistled.

"Now this is fancy."

"It is reserved for Mr. Luntz most esteemed guests." Brutus grumbled, "Mr Howzer seems to have taken a special liking to you."

"I'm honoured." Iceberg smiled.

"Mr Magashi believes this is a mistake."

"Does he?" Iceberg smirked.

"I agree." Brutus growled.

"Oh." Iceberg quipped then clammed up.

Brutus led him to one of the end rooms. It was even grander than the hallway. It was furnished in the finest furniture from every corner of the Gurhal system, no expense had been spared.

"Your room." Brutus growled.

Iceberg stepped inside then smirked at the beast.

"Thank you Bartholomew."

He slammed the door on the most shocked look he had ever seen on a beast. He immediately began to inspect the room suspecting it might be monitored. He was right. While the obvious places such as lamps and paintings had been clean, he did find a video feed imbedded in the base of the chandelier disguised as a gem. Iceberg found an ice pick in a drawer next to the mini fridge which he used to smash the tiny camera. The video phone also appeared to have been tampered with. He found one in the pot of the indoor plant and two mounted in the legs of the dining table. He moved into the bed room finding one in the bed side lamp. He used a bed sheet to cover up the mirror that made up the closet door. The bathroom mirror also had a small camera behind it and a microphone in the shower head. He didn't find anymore but he wasn't about to let his guard down. He used the shower to clean up then quickly dressed and moved back into the living area. There was a meal waiting for him on the table. He frowned and rushed to the door pulling it open and sticking his head out into the hall. It was empty. He sighed and retreated back into the room stepping up to the table and eyeing the bowl of steaming hot stew. At first he suspected it might be tainted but then what would be the point of putting him up in a luxurious room only to kill him. He sat down at the table and took a small fork full. To his surprise it was very good. He suddenly realized just how hungry he was. He quickly finished it then washed it down with a drink from the fridge. He took a chair from the table and sat down at the visphone. He tried accessing the computer base. Some material was accessible but what he really wanted was a floor plan of the mines. Surprisingly it was not restricted material. He printed off a copy of each floor and stuffed them into his nanotransformer. Next he looked for duty shifts and guard rotations. This was restricted. He frowned and terminated his link. He climbed from the chair and started for the bedroom when a knock at the door stopped him. He opened the door to a short blonde Newman woman.

"Yes?" He eyed her closely.

"I am here to serve your needs." She said and pushed by him before he could protest.

"Hey!" He said holding up a finger, "I did not give you permission to enter."

"I know." She smiled, "Guests like you always think they don't need anything at first. It's my job to take care of those needs you don't know you have."

She scooped up the dishes from the table and deposited them in the disposal. She nodded for him to follow then entered the bathroom. He stood frowning for a minute unsure of what this was really about. It was a distraction from Howzer no doubt. He slowly approached the half open door and tried to take a peek. He heard the jets in the Jacuzzi fire up. He slowly pushed the door open and found the girl submerged up to her neck. She stuck a finger up out of the water and waved him forward.

"The waters nice and hot." She smiled seductively.

Most men would have instantly stripped down accepting such an invitation from a beautiful host. Icebergs very core screamed for him to do just that but his training and his discipline kicked in preventing him from giving in. He shook his head slowly.

"I can not accept." He said, "I can not allow myself to be distracted from my duty."

"As a Guardian?" The girl frowned, "But if you're here then you've turned away from those ideas and accepted the Illuminus."

"I have not decided yet." Iceberg shrugged, "And until I do I will continue as a Guardian."

The girl's expression turned to excited worry and she quickly waved him over. Knowing this was no longer part of the job, he knelt down beside her.

"As a Guardian you're duty bound to help those in need yes?"

Iceberg nodded.

"Please get me out of here." She pleaded softly, "I was kidnapped from my home on Neudaiz. I want to be free. I can't stand to do this anymore."

Iceberg nodded then looked down to see she had grabbed his coat.

"Sorry." She said releasing his jacket and sank back into the water, "If you don't want me I should go."

"You may remain here as long as you wish." Iceberg said, "The sensors here have been deactivated so if anyone asks you can say you were, uh, serving me."

"Thank you so much." She smiled and relaxed, "I'm Andrea by the way."

"It is an honour to meet you." Iceberg bowed then left the girl to enjoy her bath.