Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HTC Droid Incredible for Verizon - Anyone else getting one?

I don't know about you other Verizon Wireless customers, but I've been waiting for them to get a decent smart phone for a while now. I've been using an antiquated Treo 755p for what seems like an eternity.

When the Motorola Droid came along, I was really tempted to bite on that, but decided to wait for something better. I had hoped to get a Google Nexus One, but Verizon and Google fumbled that whole release so badly that it's not even going to happen now (Google is now telling people to buy the Incredible if they were waiting for the Verizon Nexus One).

The reviewers all seem to agree that the HTC Droid Incredible is one of best (if not the best) Android phone currently on the market. While I've engaged in a couple of debates already with people holding out for a Verizon iPhone, the flexibility and power of the Android OS are far more appealing to me than having a bazillion useless apps to choose from

So, anyone else ordering one of these, or planning on ordering one? FedEx should be dropping mine off today sometime and it can't get here soon enough.

It's also worth noting that Amazon has a real nice deal going on right now for the Verizon HTC Incredible, pricing it at $99 (50% off!) with new service activation:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...f=nosim/717-20

Only lives to get radical W0LB0T's Avatar

Nope.

Current Projects:None
    Old Projects:[ [Dhylaw 1-10 11-13] [Dhylaw Season 2]

If I had Verizon, I'd say hell yes!
    But, unfortunately I have T-Mobile. :/
    (been with them since about 1998 or so, when they were Voice-Stream!)

I do need another phone, cause I am able to get picture messages through my plan, but I cant because I have a crappy phone.
    I broke my nice phone so I had to buy a crappy one.

A friend of mine just got the Palm thing for Sprint(I think it's Sprint), and that thing's pretty cool.
    I've never had a smart phone, just nice phones.

I've got me a Droid and I'm loving that enough to not care about anything new. I mean, I can take awesome pictures, go on youtube, Google anything, play NES,SNES, and SEGA Roms to name a few, download a handful of useful apps for free including one that let's me get any music I can think of for free, watch movies (although kinda limited), and then there's all the little things like Myspace,Facebook, Netflix and so forth. Droid has it all. I am curious as to what a new droid would have to offer that mines doesn't
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***

I've had a chance to play around with my HTC Incredible today and I like it pretty well so far. It's going to take a little time to get used to a new OS (I've been using Palm OS phones exclusively for nearly 7 years).

As for the comparison between the HTC Droid Incredible and the Motorola Droid, the newer one has some notable upgrades, including a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, more memory, 8 MP camera, HTC's Sense UI, unlimited multi-touch recognition, and some other features. It's pretty fast and responsive. It's also much thinner and lighter than the Motorola Droid, as it lacks the physical keyboard. Personally, I prefer a physical keyboard to the virtual one, but I did not like the one on the Motorola Droid. My favorite is still the keyboard on my Treo.

Also, Volcompat, you could get a Nexus One with T-Mobile, which is pretty close to the same thing as the Droid Incredible. It all kind of depends on what you want to use the phone for and how much you want your monthly phone bill to be. Many of the newer smart phones require some type of data package in addition to your standard calling plans, which can make the monthly cost quite unattractive. Of course, most of these phones also support WiFi connections, so that's one way to get around having to purchase a data plan (assuming the carrier will let you).

I'm a Verizon customer, and I'm due for an upgrade in the Autumn, but I'd likely find it hard to live without a BlackBerry. I'll have to see how the market looks at that time, but the preliminary plan is to go with the 9550, and I'm thinking that OS 6 will also play a part in the decision.

I'm curious to hear about your experience, though.
    Tax the fucking churches.

I'm on sprint and I use a Samsung Moment (Android OS). Android is awesome, I'm glad I got this phone over an iphone. I don't know much about the HTC phones on verizon, but the ones at Sprint don't. Have a keyboard. Not having a physical keyboard would suck.
    PSZ Friend code: 3395 6405 7393 (Nickname: Mike)
    Characters
    Mandroid - 1X RAcast

Playing time mostly after 10pm weekdays, anytime on weekends. PM me or contact me via IM me to play. Info in profile.

I've gone through android // windows mobile // blackberry // symbian // iPhone and of all of them symbian is my favorite. Android is great don't get me wrong and HTC makes some solid phones. The only issue is that the phone has to have pretty high end specs for it to run well. i.e. not a G1.
    Nick: Reuxx
    PS0 FC: 5328-3854-0573
    Aim: Reuxx

Quote Originally Posted by Tomeeboy View Post

As for the comparison between the HTC Droid Incredible and the Motorola Droid, the newer one has some notable upgrades, including a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, more memory, 8 MP camera, HTC's Sense UI, unlimited multi-touch recognition, and some other features. It's pretty fast and responsive. It's also much thinner and lighter than the Motorola Droid, as it lacks the physical keyboard. Personally, I prefer a physical keyboard to the virtual one, but I did not like the one on the Motorola Droid. My favorite is still the keyboard on my Treo.
    Sounds interesting. But even so, I think I'll stick with my Droid til they make a phone that makes money
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***

I've had my Incredible for almost 24 hours now and I'm pretty happy with it so far. The phone is blazing fast and has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it. I've downloaded and installed about 20 or so apps on the phone and have set up all of the social networking features, as well as things like Pandora/Last.fm, gmail & IMAP email for work, etc. HTC's Sense UI really makes the Android OS a lot more visually appealing and easy to use.

The main thing I'm having a hard time with is getting used to the virtual keyboard... it's much slower to use than the physical keyboard on my Treo (especially when it comes to inputting certain punctuation marks and even numbers). I imagine this will get better over time. The Incredible is supposed to have better virtual keyboard accuracy (primarily due to the quality and sensitivity of its touch screen, which is amazing by the way), meaning less typos compared to other phones with virtual keyboards. Apparently, SenseUI's keyboard is a little more user friendly as well, though I haven't had enough experience with other phones to be able to confirm that. I will say that I'm far more accurate on the Incredible than I was on the Motorola Droid last time I had a chance to use one. The phone also has built-in voice recognition that allows you to simply speak into the phone and have your words turned into text. You can do this anywhere the virtual keyboard is used, and it's actually quite accurate. It feels a little odd speaking out a text message, but it's a lot better than trying to type while you're driving

The only other "issue" I can say I've had is with the battery life. Watching the battery drain on this thing brings me back to the days when laptops first came out. I feel like I should have it plugged into an AC adapter when I'm using it. I downloaded an "App Killer" application to kill programs that are in the memory but not being used. It seems to be a little better now. I'm guessing that this phone will be a prime candidate for an aftermarket battery upgrade, so I'll be keeping an eye out for that.