Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_F View Post
    Easiest way to level up in PS1 is to start just outside the walls east of town. Don't go into the forest. Just stay in the grassland outside the walls. After that get your party together and grind fishman until whatever level you're comfortable with to proceed further into the game after returning to Palma.
    that same thing i did in the game

Quote Originally Posted by Drac_Mazoku View Post
    It bothers at first about the character level when you get them (even more Noah/Lutz which you get even more later on), but at tone point they easily catch up, and I think the leveling rate is different because of that. Even if you recruit him last, Noah will be the first to normally reach LV30 (max level), anyway in most of my playthrough.

And no, it gets harder as you go along to figure out everything. At the beginning, I guess the only confusing part is how to get the passport. Later on, there will be a lot of items to found and to use at a very specific spot. I personally think that using a FAQ/Guide to finish an old school RPG kill the fun of it, because most of the fun in 8bits RPG is found by exploring and trying to figure out what to do (else the game will be really short). But I guess that sometimes if it become too hard to figure out what to do, an online guide could be an option (that I don't like, but some people just can't stand to play old-school RPG anymore...maybe it'S not your case, but I saw numerous report of people getting through the game with a guide, which I find a little bit sad).
    I just got PSI now (2013). I've played PS2,3,&4 many times. It would've blown my mind in 1988 but I still find that I like it. A worthy predecessor indeed! But since time has progressed as it has (and I got older): I started to play blind for a while and then decided I absolutely wanted to use the walkthrough / maps online.

I can't stomach 3-D mazes - ugh! (Walls all look the same, too easy to get spun and lost during frequent fighting.) --- didn't finish Eye of the Beholder due to this
    Tile mapping for secret walls? - double ugh!
    Buying secrets with no apparent hint that you need to do this (sometimes more than once for it to work) to find out where you should head for? - triple ugh!

This is just my opinion and it's biased cause of my crappy memory. I actually agree that this (faq's etc.) could kill a gaming experience but it didn't for me. I am still enjoying it.

I did complete the Shining in the Darkness game (3D dungeons) many years ago - no hintbooks. Never again.
    Last edited by voodlar; Jul 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM.

Yeah, I totally agree, the first one can feel completely brutal at times. The brutality does kind of make it more awesome in a way, though. It seems more imposing or something, in a way that most modern RPGs don't.

I love the PS series, but I tried PS1 and had no idea what to do. I didn't get anywhere and it definitely was not intuitive (to me at least). Perhaps I'll give it another chance and really push myself to get through it!
    Developer of Nevergrind
    A Free Indie Browser RPG

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

You really need a guide for the first three games. Or at the very least, maps. There's no way to navigate the levels in PSI without a map, and the game itself suggests that you draw a map for yourself as you play (I think?).
    PSII, I believe, came with maps. And if you explore by yourself, you will get crushed. So it's better to know the best route to something, and how to best get back to where you were.

Even with a map in the first game, alot is guide dang it. People and places you've already been to will give you new things if someone else mentions them. Figuring it out yourself would take a very long time, and may not be worth it.

By the way, there's a fan translation for Phantasy Star Generations out now, if you prefer more character development. It really expands on the story, and is overall more fun than the original, if you're willing to try it. Surprisingly though, the game became even more guide dang it, because stuff that may have always been there will now be gone unless you trigger an event.

Besides the dungeons, the first game has really good conveyance, Phantasy Star II not so much, and Phantasy Star III even less so. The harder part about them is that you really have to grind near max level to progress around endgame. Only a few parts of Phantasy Star I really didn't tell you what to do like
    Spoiler!
    ; the rest was really just talk to every NPC to figure out what to do.

Yeah I found them really tough.. but they're good games

Man it it sounds way harder than i remember.
    But then again it's been awhile.