Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What did they do to hunters?

First off, I started playing PS games with Phantasy Star 2, back on the Sega Genesis. Great game, back in the day, but not like the current PS games.

Anyway, my next PS game was PSO on the GameCube. Loved it. Favorite character was a HUnewearl, which I got to around lvl 140 something (200 was max).

Now PS0... I tried a HUcast. Hated him. I figured he'd be better with techs, than traps. Deleted and made a HUnewm. Didn't get far with him, but deleted to make my current HUnewearl. She's somewhat fun, but dies more than my force. A lot more. Granted I could boost her survival chances with deband, but I don't have room on my palette for it.

Anyway, she uses a Zalure (lvl 1) Morgenlote +10 (maxed grind) with +30% machine and +36% accuracy. Her units are divine/power, divine/swift, divine/hit and an element protect, which I change depending on the area I go to. At lvl 77 and with 510 ATA, she misses fairly often, if using heavy attacks. Occasionally, she even misses with normal attacks, but not too often.

Lately I do a lot of Paru runs, trying to find her dream mag I want for her. Her damage is no where near what I feel it should be. With her ATP of 910, she barely deals over 100 damage vs the Izkirak-S6 and can't even deal 100 damage vs the Frunaked, using normal attacks.

I know HUnewearls don't have great ATP, but still. She feels far too weak.

I do plan on getting her more divine/power units, so hopefully those will make her more enjoyable to play.

Hating the 5+ minute battles with the Paru boss.
    Camille - HUnewearl - lvl 100 | Asterion - RAmarl - lvl 70 | Lucidique - FOnewearl - lvl 100

PM me your FC + nickname, if you add me.

Keep going you'll be getting good soon. I have a Lv.95 HUnewm. I can take out anything with daggers alone, but somtimes use the CelebHadanBite mostly on large Beast types and Machines because of it's stats. Your evasion will be excellent from what I understand; better than mine and I'm fine. Oh and keep a look out for those high hit% items. I also like doublesabers but the accuracy comprimise I don't care for so I use a higher hit% Rochelimit over my Morgenlote for example.

Edit* all I do is Paru now also for that Soniti soul I can never seem to find

Edit** I made the ultimate Octodiablo/Chaos&mobious slayer CelebHadan beast/machine Bite Stamp. I can kill C&M in under 5 PA attacks sometimes!
    Last edited by Hatrix; Jun 8, 2010 at 04:32 PM.

I actually have a Soniti soul, which isn't for trade (hunting for a specific mag to use it on). Wasn't an easy thing to find, so good luck on your hunt.

My evade is pretty good. The Fruoutang seem to miss me occasionally, but they can also 1-hit KO me, if I'm not fully healed.

I do want to change weapons, but I'm not a fan of daggers or claws, which seem to be the popular hunter weapons. Ideally, I'd use a shield or gunblade, but neither deal great damage.
    Camille - HUnewearl - lvl 100 | Asterion - RAmarl - lvl 70 | Lucidique - FOnewearl - lvl 100

In Optimus Curtz we trust Broken_L_button's Avatar

Personally, I equip a slicer on my HUnewearl and use techs. Never had that much trouble going through rooms (heck, even SH ET is cake now). Also, Hatrix is right; just keep on going - they don't call it "Super hard" difficulty for nothing after all! It's made to be a bit of a challenge if you don't have all the end-game gear, stats and tactics.

Anyways, regarding your slot units, I'd slap on an element boost rather than that D/power; 25 more ATP = 5 more damage (without Celeb on mobs weak to melee). D/Power, D/Minds and D/Guards are fairly useless unless you can keep on 3-4 of them at once all the time. D/HP& D/PP are even more useless, since 100 more HP (lol?) only increases by 0.4 the number of attacks an enemy needs to land on you to kill you, while 100 more PP is about 3 more PAs before you have to use 1monofluid+1difluid (in about 2 seconds) to get 95% of your PP back.

D/Hit and D/swift (to an extent) are a tad less useless since the boost from only 1 or 2 of them is USUALLY sufficient to reach the magic ATA&EVP numbers for SH (520+ ATA for hitting consistently and 692 EVP for a comfortable evasion rate while you're immobile and using PAs).

Reguarding your spells, don't waste time with Deband; your DFP is far too low to make it worth anything and you can manualy dodge stuff anyways. Shifta is a given, Anti and Resta could be useful if you ever run out of mates/sols/stars or if you know when to cast them. Your offensive techs can be useful if you max your MST, use a MST wep and, MOST IMPORTANT, KNOW ON WHAT TO USE THEM.

If you want to stick to ATP to deal damage, you should also get yourself a Tachyon Gun, grind it to max, roll a lv.5 life on it and fortify it to 15% on either native or beast since, in PSZ, when the blade fails, the gun succeeds.

In the end, all I can say is max your HUnewearl in the area you want to deal damage with (MST or ATP), upgrade your gear as much as you can and also...Very important as well; know when to melee and when NOT to melee. I've seen many HUcasts on Wi-Fi spam over-end (and some other melee PAs) on Hildes in Rioh; it takes them multiple PAs (around 2-4) to kill one while, with my RAcassy's BlackHawk/Riverman/Twin Violets, I can just lazily use HHH combos and kill 2-3 of them in that same amount of time.

...So much for a quick reply, heh.

I want my HUnewearl to be all melee or some gun, with a gunblade. Only techs I use on her are shifta, anti and resta (all on palette 2).

Really made this thread over my annoyance of the Izkirak-S6 in Paru. They shoot so fast and with 2 in a room, I tend to die at least once. x.x

I really should probably look more into PAs. Had PS0 for months now and still not really using them. The few I've tried, I didn't like. Usually stick to normal attack, normal attack, heavy attack. Depending on the target.

Been doing a few Free Play games lately (not seeing any friends on), only Paru, due to my quest. I usually see others switch to a sword and use some PA that has a beam of light come from it. I'm assuming that PA is Over End? It looks great, so I may look into swords. I like them, though they're slow.

I also keep seeing HUnewearls in Free Play using, I think, sabers. Probably due to a PA, though I'm not sure.

You're probably looking at Over End like you said.
    Its a very strong PA but in some circumstances it doesn't work too well cuz the enemies can move out of your range while the animation drags on
    But PAs definitely help a lot, and are worth looking into. There are some sucky ones and some good ones. But I guess it comes down to which you like.
    I wouldn't recommend going all melee. At least carry around a gunblade too for melee resistant enemies. That's what most people do and you said you like gunblades :]
    Finally you may want to carry around a staff and mind mag or something just in case you get stuck in a cast party or a party with all rangers/hunters. One of the good things about the newman race is that they are good with techs. Sometimes you fit into the healer niche better than fighter, and it just makes it easier. It's actually fairly common for me to end up there with my HUnewm since sometimes in Free Play you end up with only 1-2 other people in your party anyway. I'd much rather hit things than sit around healing but eh sometimes that's just where you need to be :S
    PSO2:
    Kirukia/Mistral
    Ship 2
    Gun Valkyrie

Speaking of gunblades, Earth Bullet is the best gunblade PA for the more fragile characters. It has a 170% attack modifier and 150% accuracy modifier.

In Optimus Curtz we trust Broken_L_button's Avatar

That Sword PA you saw is indeed Over End. Just like you said, it looks great, deals tons of damage...But is extremely slow and unwieldy if you don't fine-tune your aim and predict enemy movements.

Despite what most people might say, sabers are excellent weapons, thanks to a fast combo animation and extremely short charge times for PAs; NHH+Zeta Cutlass tears through rooms. There's also the fact that two of the highest performance sabers in the game (Luzparias for power and Stormer for accuracy) drop from the same, very common enemy (that yellow frog thing).

Ishrak is one of the example of enemies I scarcely melee (or take more precaution than usual) against; I usually circle around them and either:
    -Spam zonde/razonde with my HUnewearl
    -Stun them with my RAcaseal's Bullet dance (from a StunNersir), move in for a NHH + Earth Bullet - but sometimes I usually just move in swiftly for the combo and stunlock them. Most of my other characters usually just move in for a combo as well after they shoot.

Also...Just remember that the only "ranged" damage Gunblades deal is in shot mode. All their PAs, even Bullet Dance, deal melee damage. Good luck with your HUnewearl!

Edit: Kirukia and Rashidi speak the truth.

Maybe I'll drop the divine/power unit, for now, if it really doesn't improve my damage much. I'd likely replace it with a PA cost reducing unit (can't recall the name right now), then look more into PAs.

@BLB: Oh that's right sorry I was thinking of rangers use gunblades for melee.
    In that case Cruc you might be better off with a handgun. A good rogue pulse with flame hit or if you don't wanna use the PAs you can re-roll a Tachyon's element level to get celeb 5.
    It has thriller combo which isn't that bad cuz of the stun and it's a quest item.
    Towards the Future on SH if I'm not mistaken.
    Anyway when you add an element it adds a random level, so just save beforehand and restart until it ends up at 5 xD
    PSO2:
    Kirukia/Mistral
    Ship 2
    Gun Valkyrie