46. You may not vote on this poll
  • PS II

17 36.96%
  • PS IV

29 63.04%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PS II vs. PS IV

High level speed dating Strauss's Avatar

PSIV for me. It kinda had that charm that the other games didn't quite have. Plus, it has Wren and Demi.

In terms of PSII, when I first played it as a kid, I got lost in the first dungeon due to the ludicrous "rafters" layer covering the entire place. Didn't really have the patience to play it until recent years. Downer ending also turned me off from it, but it's still a great game nonetheless.

I would say II for me as I have played it through 6-7 times. Where as 4 looked great and had a great story, I think people are on to something about the gloomy feel of part 2 as well as the music. ( I even recorded a cover of the final battle theme "DeathPlace" with more robust drums and electric guitars and bass)

There is just something that I find compelling about 2 that I didn't with 4, also the "blasters" enemy in the 2nd Dungeon (NIDO) in part 2 destroyed 2 hours of work more than once for me. cheap ass mofos.
    Last edited by 8bitBass; Dec 17, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
    PSP2 Character: "Nova" Female Newman Force

For me and nostalgia wise, it's gotta be PSII...It was the first major RPG I've played thru and beaten...and the story, atomsphere and characters were better.

PSIV is, technically, the better game in terms of combat system, graphics, and cutscenes. But it was a bit easier than PSII.

It kinda like comparing The Revenge of Shinobi to Shinobi III.

I have to say PS II as well. I think IV is the better game, ultimately, but I prefer II because of the aforementioned darker elements, the much better music, and the sense of mystery. II is a much more serious game, although it completely frustrated me with the insane dungeons.

I really liked Nei as a character, along with Neifirst, and the whole Mother Brain plot was one of the more compelling and coherent ones in the series. II had flaws, for sure, but it has a lot more gravity, especially for its time.

I'd probably still be more likely to play IV, though. It's a complicated situation!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bragatyr View Post
    I have to say PS II as well. I think IV is the better game, ultimately, but I prefer II because of the aforementioned darker elements, the much better music, and the sense of mystery. II is a much more serious game, although it completely frustrated me with the insane dungeons.

I really liked Nei as a character, along with Neifirst, and the whole Mother Brain plot was one of the more compelling and coherent ones in the series. II had flaws, for sure, but it has a lot more gravity, especially for its time.

I'd probably still be more likely to play IV, though. It's a complicated situation!

Yeah, I forgot about the Music in PSII...really epic...I used to luv going to Ustvestia to listen thru the tunes!

I really think PSII is probably one of the most underrated RPG's of all time.

Battle Maiden of Ragol Lady Nadia's Avatar

ps2 had a much higher challenge rating and i actually had to focus n pay attention to what i was doing and especially where i was going so as far as game play ima have to go for that 1. ps4 i loved how they did the cs and such but the game just seemed way too easy and mindless. PS4s soundtrack was also superior imho.. its hard to put 1 above overall tho they both had things better than the other. overall tho ima say ps4 just cuz id have the patience to play it again. i dont think i culd replay ps2.
    Ep3 - Nadia 381 Hunewearl, W-4782 L-191, King 32.
    Ep1&2 - Rika 200 Hunewearl, Sophia 200 Racaseal.
    BB - Nei Chan 200 Hunewearl.