Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Professional Protranser Khorian's Avatar
    In my head, mostly. When I'm awake I'm usually somewhere in the midwestern United States

Default Beasts and thinly veiled racism?

I've been gaming for a few years now, about 20, and I've always scratched my head when it came to Japanese portrayal of minorities in video games and Anime.

As someone who's always wanted to cosplay, I've found it increasingly more difficult over the years to pick a good character. Why? Probably because the only African-American males in Japanese games and Anime lack diversity. I'll give you a brief example:

-Dee Jay, Super Street Fighter II
    -Barret Wallace, Final Fantasy VII
    -That one douchebag who's a clone of Barret in the newest FF game.
    -Zack, Dead or Alive
    -Jax, Mortal Kombat

It would seem to me that there very few respectable roles played by black characters in JP culture. In fact, the majority of these roles do the opposite of promoting any positive images of black people. Any people of color seem to just fill the "token" role, and badly, at that.

In fact, at most times, the intelligent or seemingly normal dark-skinned characters tend to be explained away as "Ganguro" or some form of spiritual being or extraterrestrial. Most normal portrayals of people of color are in American made games.

Enter the Beast race in Phantasy Star.

I love PS games, don't get me wrong, but it would seem that the Beast race draws entirely too many similarities to African Americans, or rather, a misrepresentation of African Americans.

Regardless of the story structure surrounding Beasts, and what elements of their culture are simply plot devices, I'd like to point out a few things that I found a little unnerving.

1. Despite the war of the races being over a century ago, the CASTS have managed to rebuild the ENTIRE ECOSYSTEM OF PARUM, and yet, the Dark-skinned Beasts still manage to mostly only steal from the other races....

2. In fact, Neudaiz, Parum, and the G. Colony all manage to have working democratic governments, but not those darkies on Moatoob! Here we have a Solar-System spanning culture, on the cusp of INTERSTELLAR TRAVEL, and the Beast heavy planet is nothing but entire families of thieving lowlifes that can't even manage to form a F***ing counsel. How is it that in a century after they gained freedom from oppression, they manage to institute an arguably equally oppressive form of government?

3. Now, yes, I understand beasts were engineered to be strong and not smart, but the fact that they managed to fight for their independence and WIN it, would at least imply that they could evolve the ability to act professionally in uniform or on the clock in a hundred years, right? Wrong. It would seem, according to Sonic Team's writers that only Leo and Laia would at least be remotely educated. It would appear the Guardians can't even find ONE beast on Moatoob to take time out of her busy schedule of chewing gum, filing her nails, and cussing out her baby's daddy on the Vision Phone run the front desk with some iota of self respect. (okay, I took some liberties with the imagery here, but you get the idea)

Beasts are essentially a once-enslaved, dark-skinned, lazy people who apparently wouldn't know what to do with an entire planet to themselves. They turn to a life of crime at the drop of a hat, are prone to violent outbursts even faster than that, and seem unable to use formal speech patterns, even though the only language is ENGLISH. In fact, I'm in awe of how this is even remotely possible, as reading would have to be a requirement to exist in their world, even as a slave.

The similarities are glaring, and I know that even though PS games are preachy about everybody being equal and many plot points of the story revolve around the aforementioned preachiness, but leaving in stereotypes like these make the entire message moot.

I don't want to come off as being over-sensitive, and I don't want to seem as if I'm reaching for the Race Card (I only use that when I get pulled over). I play all races of the game, and Beast was my first Character's race. I'm simply perplexed, and wonder if any game developer in Japan knows if black people are real, much less actually trying to understand us for more accuracy...

Whatever the reason is for the way things are in Video Games these days, I would hope that companies either go all out with their prejudices so I can stay away, or actually attempt to define characters by their actions instead of outward appearance.

Am I seeing only what I want to see, or am I reading between the lines?

I eagerly await your opinions

I think you're reading too much into it. Oddly enough, one of my friends pointed out a few days ago that beasts are generally dark-skinned, and were once enslaved, which (obviously) bares a striking resemblance to real-life African-Americans. Honestly, I think it's pure coincidence.

Moatoob is the planet closest to Gurhal's sun, which explains the Beast's dark complexion. That's also why it's so hot and barren on most of the planet's surface.

Also, Moatoob does have a somewhat real government outside of the Rogue families: The Moatoob Trade Alliance. Even besides that, I believe Tylor reveals during the offline story mode that the Rogue families do meet sometimes to discuss planetary concerns, as a sort of unofficial council board.

EDIT: I've never noticed or seen any beasts in the story mode(s) portrayed to be lazy, criminal (besides the rogues), overly violent, or illiterate, so I'm not sure where you got those ideas from.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; Sep 1, 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Professional Protranser Khorian's Avatar
    In my head, mostly. When I'm awake I'm usually somewhere in the midwestern United States

I've never noticed or seen any beasts in the story mode(s) portrayed to be lazy, criminal (besides the rogues), overly violent, or illiterate, so I'm not sure where you got those ideas from.
    This is how beasts are viewed by supporting cast members oftentimes. Vivienne displays some of her own ignorance regarding beasts in PSPo. Her foot module gets lodged firmly in her own mouth after she meets Leo, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorian View Post
    This is how beasts are viewed by supporting cast members oftentimes. Vivienne displays some of her own ignorance regarding beasts in PSPo.
    Yes, but remember who built and programmed Vivienne. The Illuminus: PSU's resident racists. That's how they taught her to think: that every race besides Humans were inferior.

Her foot module gets lodged firmly in her own mouth after she meets Leo, though.

That's because Leo's a badass, haha.

Well If It Aint So. She Thinks There Scary When They Stare Her Right In The Eye. And I Now That I Think About It... Parum Stands Out More Than The Other Planets...

Black people aren't a major race in japan. When making games, racial diversity isn't really considered. White people are the standard with black people scattered here and there to add some variety. That's what I've noticed over the years anyway.

Wielder of the Neiclaws Ce'Nedra's Avatar

If you ask me, beasts only look good with dark skin, i've seen a few light skinned ones but it just doesn't feel right.

Only 2 that i saw were looking good and these were females and small cute loli like beasts.

Celestial Manager~
    Quote Originally Posted by isCasted View Post
    Welcome to PSO2, a game which tells you to fuck off on regular basis. Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupikachu View Post
    He just copypasted the log, which is mostly SOHO talking, and then for the remaining pages he just went to psow and copied the ep4 thread salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ce'Nedra View Post
    If you ask me, beasts only look good with dark skin, i've seen a few light skinned ones but it just doesn't feel right.

Only 2 that i saw were looking good and these were females and small cute loli like beasts.
    Yeah, light-skinned beasts look awkward. That's why mine has a nice, rich tan. Err...

Wait! I don't think this is part of the discussion, anyway! Right?

I just think Sega was trying to make the typical racial cliches when they made PSU. As in, Beasts are African-American, Newmans are Asian, Humans are Caucasian, and CASTs are.....household appliances? I don't know about that one, honestly.

Anyway, maybe Sega did that for a reason; to say something about real-life racial unity.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; Sep 1, 2010 at 03:25 PM.

I dont think beast should represent the african americans, more a animal-human breed.
    Since most of the Animals don't have such a high IQ and most animals behave rude and do what the feel, i think that is what SEGA wanted to be for the beasts, its not for racism, its more a animal than a human in its behave.

Yeah, i haven´t thought that way about them.
    Nice to see, someone bringing this to light.
    Even though, i seriously doubt that the black racism is intentional.

Offtopic: Yesh, i also think Beast´s looks best with dark skin. :3