Page 38 of 65 FirstFirst ... 283536373839404148 ... LastLast

I'd also say Xbox Live, prolly entices a little as well

no numbers but this shows the rise and fall

I could look for some figures but I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the PS2 version was much more popular in japan

I appreciate that some of you feel the lack of updates killed PSU and you're right, it did. But it wasnt because of a 2 week delay in testing, it was being 2 years behind due to awful management and a terrible system of locking content already on the disc.

Online games live and die by their population and the best scenario is PC and PS360 releases for a huge population and global servers so the west isnt left behind

The PC version is clearly the preferred version of PSU in Japan. Look at all the new items introduced in the supplemental update and onwards; PS2 version can't even see the new graphics. PC, on the other hand, can see all the new stuff, and is available for free download from the website.

It is obvious that at least the development team prefers PC to consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ffuzzy-Logik View Post
    The PC version is clearly the preferred version of PSU in Japan. Look at all the new items introduced in the supplemental update and onwards; PS2 version can't even see the new graphics. PC, on the other hand, can see all the new stuff, and is available for free download from the website.

It is obvious that at least the development team prefers PC to consoles.
    Because they CANT update the PS2 version. If you're going to work off that logic then you might as well argue for a cash shop in PSO2

There probably will be one of those, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    Because they CANT update the PS2 version. If you're going to work off that logic then you might as well argue for a cash shop in PSO2
    They decided to release an update that the PS2 could not fully utilize in favor of providing the PC users with the full experience, knowing full well their experience would be diminished, instead of holding off for throwing out all the content on a new disk (which also would've given them considerably more cash, even if the disk was $20).

...It feels to me like you're making excuses.

Online games live and die by their population and the best scenario is PC and PS360 releases for a huge population and global servers so the west isnt left behind
    Funny. There are plenty of PC-only online games that survive just fine and aren't WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ffuzzy-Logik View Post
    There probably will be one of those, too.
    Sure as hell hope not. Cash shop is generally the final move to drain the last dregs of profit out of a dead game or the sole means of support for awful free to play games. Neither of which is what I'm hoping for with PSO2.

Anyway this topic is filled with system warriors brimming with childish desperation for exclusivity to their platform of choice regardless of facts, stats or anything else so I wont waste my breath arguing

Dont post lies just because its suits your agenda.

and that's with the majority of PS2/PC players being PS2 players
    Good job posting a graph that does absolutely nothing for your argument?

That graph doesn't compare subscription numbers between pc/ps2/360 at all, you know, on account of it not being a graph for that. It's only showing the trends and peaks and valleys of the subscriber base over the course of the 24 months since launch. It also lumps PC+PS2 together, so drawing any conclusion about which of PC vs PS2 being more popular using that graph is not possible.

Anyway this topic is filled with system warriors brimming with childish desperation for exclusivity to their platform of choice regardless of facts, stats or anything else so I wont waste my breath arguing

lol

Sure as hell hope not. Cash shop is generally the final move to drain the last dregs of profit out of a dead game or the sole means of support for awful free to play games. Neither of which is what I'm hoping for with PSO2.

Actually, Eidolus did correctly state one fact in support of PC exclusivity: Sega wouldn't have to jump through any hoops set by console companies, and one of those hoops actually contributed quite a bit towards killing PSU in the West.

As for cash shops being horrible, not necessarily. If it's an ethical cash shop that doesn't sell what are essentially cheating indulgences, it could work. Many subscription-fee games have microtransactions set up for things like extra cosmetic items and utilities like extra character slots or character renaming. You know, including games that are in no way dead or dying. Now, if it's like JP PSU's Guardians Cash, with microtransactions for game-breaking items and missions, that'd be complete and utter bullshit.

Oh, I'd also like to point out that PSP2, which is not known for being awful, is essentially free-to-play with the exception of the up-front purchase price and a cash shop consisting of new stuff introduced via purchasable DLC.

It's worth noting that the online Phantasy Star titles are not proper MMOs, and I do not expect that PSO2 will be. If PSO2 is structured like PSP2 is--simple lobbies with instanced games--purchasable DLC may, in fact, be able to support it just fine without a subscription fee.
    belladonna5012 on the official forums.
    PS0: Katherine (HUmarl 89), FOcaseal (RAcaseal 13), Dreck (HUcaseal 57)
    Offering me free stuff will not convince me to be your Internet Girlfriend.

Ok was away for awhile doing the work thing so forgive me if I just now am catching up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    Okay... seriously... what the hell are you on?
    The reality of the situation is what I'm on. I used to have that "Full of hope" Idealism when it came to PSO. Hell when the Gamecube version came out, I was there on day 1 and loving it.

Whatever it is, you need to lay off it. Seriously.
    If you're gonna open up with a discussion about how it was a success then you should be prepared to have someone else explain why they didn't see it as a success.

FFXI, WoW. Those were a success.

PSO even tho I wish it was, it wasn't.

This is ridiculous. I can't even type up a detailed reply to this because all I hear is wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, you're wrong and so very wrong wrong everything sucks they suck it's gonna suck wrong and, really, what the hell do I have to say to that?
    Hey look now. Just because I'm having a discussion with you about why I think you're being too full of rainbows and sunshine about a game that hasn't even been released yet doesn't mean you can't ignore the fact that Sega in general has crapped on the userbase not once, but multiple times.

I will say this: There hasn't been another game that looks and plays like the PSO series yet.
    Truthfully the only game that even played close to PSO was Diablo II and I only mean that loosely at best. As far as looks, It's PSO and not once did I say the game sucked. I said the game was fun, just Sega's shitty support is what ruined it for not only me but a lot of people.

How you failed to understand that is beyond my comprehension.
    Apparently comprehending isn't something you're fulling grasping but that's ok.

There has been nothing to fill the void. I mean, what could you possibly be referring to? There is nothing like it. Nothing. Period.
    .........Have you even played or even tried to enjoy any other games besides PSO? I'd really hate to think you're hung up on it that much. I'm not telling you that any other games out there we like PSO but damn man I think your eyes are so filled with hope that you wouldn't even care if Sega took a dump, labeded the turd PSO2 and told everyone to enjoy it even tho most of us are expecting the game's online support to stink.

P.S. Thanks Fossil for understanding where the hell I'm coming from. I read thru the rest of this thread after this post but, I'll still stand on the same level. When I think of success on a new release of a game, I think Blizzard.

Example: Diablo III annouced. A shit ton of people went nuts and raving full of excitement all over the world.

Why? Because Diablo II had something going for it which Sega could never, even get right after multiple tries. Keeping up to date with the game, and banning the shit out of players who cheated. I'll even one up it since you may not know this.

When PSO was released on the Gamecube, there was a software error which prevented the game from being "fixed" of the FSOD issue. Sega's response was to just deal with it since it wasn't super extreme. Now I'm thinking, "Wow this is some stupid shit."

Want to know what's fucked up?

They didn't tell that to the Japanese player base. Anyone in Japan who had a copy of the game, could contact Sega with the serial key and Sega sent them a new copy of the game Disc with the glitch fixed...... for free.

So telling me that I should be positive about a new PSO when Sega does shit like this to it's North American userbase is ok?
    Last edited by S N K; Sep 19, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
    <- This would be my avatar if someone learned to let people upload their own.

Retired PSO Gamecube Player.
    2nd NA HUcaseal to 200. 13th Lv.200 Player.
    Silver is exspensive. Chrome looks just as cool. ~Deadpool