Default Cheating on Borderlands?

Okay, so it appears that someone decided this was off-topic when, in reality, it actually wasn't. So they decided to move this into its own topic whose title infers that I'm asking a question or trying to provide new information that isn't already known or something... While also implying that I can't capitalize my sentences properly (or don't realize that Borderlands has an S on the end). Feel free to just ignore this as a separate topic, since it really doesn't have any reason to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by BWS-1 View Post
    So how's cheating on Borderland? I gotta admit I haven't looked into it/encountered it. But that clearly doesn't mean it's there!
    People found a way to take their 360's hard drive and connect it to their PCs, then hex-edit their game saves.

The end result, is that people abused the nature of the game's item-generation system to make things like... shotguns that rapidly-fire a spread of several dozen rockets that each constantly shoot out more rockets as they're flying through the air. Or people who have several million points of shield strength (in a game where 3000 shield is considered really high).

There was even a point where someone managed to make a "shield" that was handled as "money" for being picked up (meaning it goes into every player's inventory, since everyone gets a copy of any money picked up), allowing for an item that essentially acted like a virus and spread itself into other players' inventories.

Almost all of such items have been patched out of the game, but it's still possible for people to hack "ideal" versions of items into their save files, giving them the best possible combinations of parts and materials that a given item can legitimately have. It's kind of a problem if you play in open games with other people.

There are some theoretical ways around problems like this that haven't really been tried before. One such deterrent could be the Pokemon approach to item data, where there's just so much data stored about any particular entry, that an amateurish hack-in could make the thing easily-detectable as a fake - a game could, for instance, create a log file containing exact drop data every time an item is generated into the game, and only save out those for the player's inventory when they save and exit the game. As soon as the player goes online, their characters' inventories are subject to checking the log file for any changes since the last time they logged on, and any items found to have an unsubstantial log file (could be insane things in there, like the exact number the loot-generation methods used to make that item spawn, which room it was spawned in, which layout in which the room appeared, which enemy dropped it, etc.) are promptly deleted, and the player is warned of having acquired an illegitimate item (as well as, of course, alerting the GM team with all of the relevant information).

Of course, no system is ever perfect, and it could be cracked eventually. A solid amount of security goes a long way though, especially when it comes to keeping out the amateur attempts.
    Last edited by Kent; Sep 21, 2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Lack of clarity on part of the person who moved this

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Hiya,

yeah I saw the PC weapons creator application, a few friends of mine used it for PC borderlands. To be honest I can't see a point to cheating in a game, Borderlands has thousands fo weapon combinations as it is and cheating just seems stupid as it defeats the object of a game. having over-powered weapons will just ruin gameplay and make the game feel boring a tedious a lot quicker than it wuld do if you played and completed the game normally. Still people like showing off especially in online games, so that's probably the appeal to some players.

Tifa

The online mode was fucked from the beginning since all the data is offline.

You can also take a memory unit and a transfer cable ( cheaper than a docking station for the HDD ) and do it that way. I used to make my own weapons and shit in that - program, but I never spread them around.

But yeah, yer about a year late on this info. xD
    Last edited by Ketchup345; Sep 21, 2010 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonForce View Post

I was thinking that myself actually. I know there's another expansion coming out sometime, but even that probably won't draw back a lot of people. Game was fun, but that didn't last too long after I maxed out mostly everything and got most of the best weapons.
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***

Quote Originally Posted by DragonForce View Post
    Nnng... I kinda wish my input on a subject (that was actually relevant to the topic at hand) wouldn't get split into a separate topic with a title that makes me look like I forgot how to use the shift key properly.

This post was in response to a post in the Phantasy Star Online 2 thread, regarding cheating in games that allow you to use the same character online and off. It was on topic, and there was no legitimate reason to move it out here, simply because it was referencing a similar game with a similar on/offline nature (as the original PSO) and postulating an idea about how cheat prevention actually works.

But someone who apparently didn't realize it was actually on-topic decided it wasn't, so it got moved here (with a misleading topic title, to boot).

Also, please don't post information leading to the tools people actually use to do this - you're only exacerbating the issue.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Also, please don't post information leading to the tools people actually use to do this - you're only exacerbating the issue.
    You know wutz ironic? The fact that you can go to Gearbox's official forum and download the damn program. They don't even care that itz there. This weapon modding shit is no longer an issue, itz become the norm now.

Why Do I Still Post Here? BahnKnakyu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Nnng... I kinda wish my input on a subject (that was actually relevant to the topic at hand) wouldn't get split into a separate topic with a title that makes me look like I forgot how to use the shift key properly.

This post was in response to a post in the Phantasy Star Online 2 thread, regarding cheating in games that allow you to use the same character online and off. It was on topic, and there was no legitimate reason to move it out here, simply because it was referencing a similar game with a similar on/offline nature (as the original PSO) and postulating an idea about how cheat prevention actually works.

But someone who apparently didn't realize it was actually on-topic decided it wasn't, so it got moved here (with a misleading topic title, to boot).

10 bucks says it was a mod who was "alerted" to the post and didn't read through the entire thread. You may want to take it up with the mod who moved it. I do remember the last time a topic I made was moved I got a PM regarding it, but I'm not sure if that system has changed.

It would be nice to know if the forum software told you what mod was responsible for the move so you can contest it. Because the forum software sure enjoys telling you exactly who gave you infractions if you ever get them.
    * 98% of people like to put character progress in their signatures. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, put this in your signature.

In the future; go ahead and send a PM to the mods asking what happened in a case like this.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."