Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ban blue McNuggets Save Rappies PinkyMonkey's Avatar

Default Looking for a good tank-hunter build

Hey all,

Played the Japanese version back when it came out and got up to 130ish. Decided to pick up the English version now (miss the voice-overs.. save Emilia) and have a 70 F Human Hunter and 70 newman ranger.

I am having fun with my hunter and really would like to stay away from playing a VG and trap easy-mode (though no ill will who care to play that way).

I pretty much play offline and am looking for a good end-game viable setup for a tanking hunter (Assuming this is possible ).

thanks much in advance for the advice =)

NC, USA (Online though, you may find me in the unofficial PSOW chat @ http://psoworld.weebly.com/)

There's not a real tank class in this game. High level enemies will rip through you regardless.

I have been curious about a Newman Vanguard using Taunt and Charm weapons though...

{-} Sig is outdated. Now on Team: ChibiRoar. I'll update eventually... {-}

TemprusofTime @ Deviantart (Novice MMD User)

PSOW on mibbit---
    BTW, yes I'm one of those guy gamers that plays nothing but girl characters. There a problem with that?

Well if you wanna focus on that you still might wanna switch classes around to collect abilities.Damage resist/evasion type abilities then go back to hunter and use um..defense boosting abilities.I don't have a hunter character and am not sure how useful they will all be combined.But might be worth looking in to.

Cheers folks thanks for the quick answers!
    Sad to hear the game is really all about evasion ><
    Yeah I do have some skills from the VG set (namely dmg reduction and HP regen and will be going for that half-damage skill later) which work well at level 70. I was just hoping there might be a non-avoidance playable setup.

That said I am assuming hunters with enough EVP can be playable endgame? Or is it all VGs? (well suppose rangers and forces can also keep far away from enemies) =)

NC, USA (Online though, you may find me in the unofficial PSOW chat @ http://psoworld.weebly.com/)

Over at GameFAQs there's a listing of most everyone's characters. The last tally has almost as many hunters as vanguards.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/96968...page=3&tc=jtpd

Total type number
    Hunters : 30
    Rangers : 14
    Force : 13
    Vanguards : 40

Total Gender
    Female : 46
    Male : 39
    Unknown : 12

Total Race
    Human : 35
    Cast : 22
    Newman : 17
    Beast : 21
    Unknown : 2

So it seems that people think hunters are perfectly playable in the endgame.

{-} Sig is outdated. Now on Team: ChibiRoar. I'll update eventually... {-}

TemprusofTime @ Deviantart (Novice MMD User)

PSOW on mibbit---
    BTW, yes I'm one of those guy gamers that plays nothing but girl characters. There a problem with that?

I think the general consensus is that defense is worthless and evade is the way to go. This means that you'll be better off as a vanguard than a hunter. Using some of your extend points to use some more hunter like weapons as a vanguard is perfectly doable. You'll do 25% less damage than a hunter though. But when monsters have a hard time hitting you, that's not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkyMonkey View Post
    That said I am assuming hunters with enough EVP can be playable endgame? Or is it all VGs? (well suppose rangers and forces can also keep far away from enemies) =)
    Hunter evp is junk, don't even bother trying to raise it. They aren't unplayable or anything, but you will spend a lot more time dodging/guarding and having your PAs interrupted, which cripples any offensive advantage they would otherwise enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think the general consensus is that defense is worthless and evade is the way to go. This means that you'll be better off as a vanguard than a hunter. Using some of your extend points to use some more hunter like weapons as a vanguard is perfectly doable. You'll do 25% less damage than a hunter though. But when monsters have a hard time hitting you, that's not bad.
    It's not even 25%, it's around 15% with a 600ish ATK weapon like twin sabers or double sabers or well everything thats not spear/axe/sword...and the advantage is even less with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceresa View Post
    It's not even 25%, it's around 15% with a 600ish ATK weapon like twin sabers or double sabers or well everything thats not spear/axe/sword...and the advantage is even less with those.
    I worded that poorly. It's not 25% more damage but 25% more ATP.

The defensive boost and EX Traps Vanguards are rewarded makes the Hunter type not very good in comparison.
    Vanguard Race Guide ~ Japanese DLC In All Regions
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

Thanks again everyone for the quick and mature responses (Actually makes me want to go online as the community here seems to rival those of the of more mature MMORPGs.. just not sure how many folks have to go oh crap AFK baby and wife agro ). Then again my first online game experience was on ye ole' Dreamcast. Perhaps I will stick to my ranger a bit more then and finally hunker down my hunter as a non-trap VG (again nothing against folks who love the class, and I loved my braver in PSP1, just rather I think the trap mechanics are broken and love a good challenge).

Cheers PSOW boards I should get in the habit of visiting here more often.