Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default dark nova's - last updated: 2012 Sept 27

Updated: 2012 Sept 27

Background about me as an artist:
    Ever since I was a kid, I loved to draw: starting from scribbles on the walls of the apartment where I had lived and the carpet with markers, I started to refine my drawing ability sometime after 2007. Of course, before that, my drawings lacked proportion when drawn from memory. Even now I still have difficulty drawing from my imagination, but it's much easier. This was facilitated by the drawing class I had in my freshman year of college. In that class especially, my skills improved as much as I had hoped: I learned more about proportions, how the body can move, and shading. I also began using other media, like ink and wash and charcoal. Unfortunately, I haven't been using those media for my fan works but I may get a chance to do it later.

Anyway, here's my topic, and comments and critiques are much appreciated.

Online "Phantasy Star" related drawings:

Spoiler!

If I update, I'll update this post and update the top.

Notice: As of January 16th, 2011, I've removed my "other" works. If you would like to see what I've done over the past two-three years, please refer to my deviantART page.
    http://superficiallight.deviantart.com/

Additional information: Some of the links appear dead. This is not always the case. Click on the 9-digit number that is underlined to access that page. However, I'm not sure if I deleted some works so if that page says that the deviation is not found, I probably deleted it. Apologies in advance.
    Last edited by dark nova; Sep 28, 2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Added recent, unadded works
    ウル・inactive
    M Human | M Human | F Newman | F Cast

You've definitely improved since you first started scanning in your work: your poses have become more dynamic / action-packed, and your proportions are getting better.

As far as constructive criticism goes, I would suggest maybe experimenting with more colors on your vectors as well as playing with different light sources. For instance, maybe you could have added some whites/yellows to your Red Ring Rico Gizonde Strike piece along with more shadows due to the newly introduced light, or maybe you could have added some whites/blues/purples (along with shadows) to the Gal Gryphon to make the lightning "come alive." Nice angle on the Gal Gryphon piece, it really gives that uneasy feeling.

On larger pictures such as your Phantasy Race to the Finish and Knights' Clash at Arctica (well, not so much on the Arctica one), you might bring the focus in more toward the action. When you engage the audience in the action, the picture will have more interest. (Why not try using a "diagonal" point of view or something next time?, just a thought).

I also like your ink pieces a lot, especially the San Francisco Cable Cars. Nice job on the trees (I assume that's what those are) and your use of red.

Hope to see more work in the future!
    My deviantART page
    Tsaru 200 M Beast 30 HU/26 RA/15 FO/30 VA ___ Lambe 70 F Human 12 HU/1 RA/1 FO/1 VA
    Rare Registry: 99/112

I like your vector art, but I'm more interested in your pencil sketches. I favor messy pictures x)

Thank you both for your time to post in this (mostly dead) topic!
    Here, have a new drawing!

190823927 by ~superficiallight on deviantART

(Left as pencil for now, considering that vector art isn't nearly as favorable.)

Oh, and I apologize for not bumping this earlier. I did not want to bump without presenting a new drawing, and it took this long for me to come up with something new. So, I apologize once again.
    ウル・inactive

Shall I update this topic whenever I make a new drawing? Y/N

Anyway, first drawing of 2011:
    ウル・inactive

hate to bump but i did some more

dum de dum...

ウル・inactive

So. I've been doing more drawings lately. I've also started coloring in Photoshop, instead of using vectors again.

Blade Destruction - inspired by a certain someone's Blade Destruction pic - uncolored and colored

Grand Crusher - might as well do all the other new Photon Arts, am I right? - uncolored and colored

Infinite Storm - uncolored

Soujin Ranbu-sho - uncolored and colored
    Last edited by dark nova; Feb 16, 2011 at 06:00 AM. Reason: add
    ウル・inactive

They look awesome, jeez I really need to get back into drawing. It's getting onto a 2 year break but I'm just lacking the enthusiasm for it. But good going, looking forward to seeing them coloured

Tifa

you might want to try Daz3d or bryce 7(both free to download)and study the poses in daz and get a feel for character movement. Bryce 7 will amaze you at what you can do with a simple sphere.They are both places to get ideas and experience from.

Quote Originally Posted by AOI_Tifa_Lockhart View Post
    They look awesome, jeez I really need to get back into drawing. It's getting onto a 2 year break but I'm just lacking the enthusiasm for it. But good going, looking forward to seeing them coloured

Tifa
    Thanks. Why haven't you been in the mood for drawing?

Quote Originally Posted by stark096 View Post
    you might want to try Daz3d or bryce 7(both free to download)and study the poses in daz and get a feel for character movement. Bryce 7 will amaze you at what you can do with a simple sphere.They are both places to get ideas and experience from.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have a look at those.
    ウル・inactive