Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA spamming?

Default PA spamming?

An odd thing happened today. An online group that I was in had a member who went absolutely ballistic about spamming PA. I am under the impression he was talking about me, since my play-style involves a few quick hits followed by Cyclone Dance. I am new to the PSO universe having only started playing in September.

Can someone explain why spamming PA is discouraged and chaining is acceptable. In my noobness it seems that a few quick hits+stun are actually more dps then a 20 chain.

Chaining gives a damage boost to your PAs depending on how big the chain is (and whether its a solo or party run) so it's not like PSU where you can spam your PA to your heart's desire. While the 3 hit+PA combo may work with smaller creatures, bigger ones and bosses are always chained to take them down faster. Most players dislike it when a party member breaks a chain too early, so its best to become familiar with this new system.
    Heeding the call of the Hunter in PSP2? Use this: Beginner's Guide to Hunter Domination

"You either die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

The Magnanimous Guardian Magician's Avatar

PA spamming isn't bad, if you're overleveled and spamming on small enemies. But if you're underleveled, chain building is quicker than PA spamming. 1-hit chains increase damange 200%, which is good for small enemies. But large enemies (of equal or higher level) require chains of 20+ in order to be killed quickly.

If you're constantly breaking chains on large enemies after 1-2 hit chains you're being a douche.
    Last edited by Magician; Nov 12, 2010 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magician View Post
    If you're constantly breaking chains on large enemies after 1-2 hit chains you're being a douche.

This.
    Arguing with people online is like competing in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Psp2: Demon. lvl 140. Male Beast, Hunter level 24.

PA spamming isn't bad, if you're overleveled and spamming on small enemies. But if you're underleveled, chain building is quicker than PA spamming. 1-hit chains increase damange 200%, which is good for small enemies. But large enemies (of equal or higher level) require chains of 20+ in order to be killed quickly.

Of course, if the enemy is a particular pain to fight (Delbiters, Nano Dragons), the option of spamming a knockdown is valid. You can't rack up a chain if your party is getting maimed. (I'm thinking things like Hishou Jinren-zan, AKA yoyo daggers)
    Coming Soon!

Ahh, OK now I understand what the fuss was about. I am still getting used to the online communities unique etiquette (probably due to the lack of a decent online communication method)

the other good thing about chains is that, the higher the chain the longer the chain lasts.

when you have a chain thats around 1-20 you can barrly pull off a full 3 hit PA attack with it.
    when you get from like 21-40 you can pull off a full 3 hit PA and a little bit more from another.
    when you get from 41-60, you can pull off doing 2 full 3 hit PA combos.

but beware, the higher the chain, the easyer it is that it will go away if you don't keep the chain up.

me and my group of friends always get the chain to 50 when we fight spiritos because with a 50 chain we can break almost 1 and a half of the bosses armor/health.

Also there are other jobs besides hunter and vanguard. Rangers have to charge their bullets to land a PA. Breaking the chain at 2-10 leaves very little time to charge and hit with the PA. Forces are a whole other story. Plus the higher the chain, the longer it lasts. If your chain is at 50, you can probably land maybe 2-3 full PA's.

Quote Originally Posted by pso123hrf View Post
    Plus the higher the chain, the longer it lasts.
    Wow, I didn't know that. Is it true? Also, is there a formula of some sort for the length of time it lasts?
    PSPo2 Characters:
    Re-l Mayer (lv 95 RAnewarl) || Hiyori (lv 100 VAbearl)
    Vincent Law (lv 99 HUmar) || Daedalus (lv 92 FOnewar)
    Dante Alighieri (lv 102 VAcast) || Eris (lv 90 RAcaseal)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavichokche View Post
    Wow, I didn't know that. Is it true? Also, is there a formula of some sort for the length of time it lasts?
    Yeah its true. The higher the chain gets, once broken it lasts much longer. However, The higher the chain gets, the less time you have to break it before it resets. Its good to have one person, like a ranger with twin handguns, Keeping the chain up, while someone else breaks it.
    Proud owner of the PSP2 free vent server

Check out the IRC group, for those who prefer to type.