Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So used PSP2 games cannot be activated for ONline gameplay?

I contacted Sega yesterday & got a reply back that I have to take my game back to the store. Why is it that Sega doesn't allow used games to be activated for online play? I shouldn't have a problem with the return. But it seems weird that Sega doesn't let someone pay maybe $5 or $10 for a license to play their used game online? That would go a long way for people who wish to play their *ahem* modded PSP online & be legit/pay Sega for their game. (Speaking of which, I know people with a modded PSP that can use the PSN store just fine. They just swap back between custom FW & the original as needed).

PSP Go users can apparently dL a digital copy of the game & the code is built-in.

This is all from Sega. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Anyone with a PSP can download the game from the Playstation Network store and not have to worry about codes. I use a 3000 and a downloaded copy. As for why there's no purchasable license, who knows. Maybe Sega wants everyone to buy a new copy so they get more money. That's probably it.

more like they dont care enough about the western release to warrant going through the trouble of maintaining one. Not like they EVER advertised PSU or any of its offspring, did they?

There's no purchasable license for the Japanese version either.

I'm still waiting for these new and improved codes we were promised like a month or so ago.
    PSPo2 US
    Edgar - Beast Clvl 156, HU: 30, VG: 21

Hanging with the PSO World-IRC and Unite Across the Universe

Should this topic really be in the PSPo2 section..? Seems a lot more general.

Anyways, it's probably the PSN code.

-Wayu

Yeah, Wayu, I agree. When I got mine, it was new, and I used the code on the back of my instruction manual, I got my license. Maybe its because the used copy, the previous owner had used the code to get the license. I don't know. Otherwise it pretty much sucks!

Thats all I can think of anyway!
    Time moves faster where I'm standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Anyone with a PSP can download the game from the Playstation Network store and not have to worry about codes. I use a 3000 and a downloaded copy. As for why there's no purchasable license, who knows. Maybe Sega wants everyone to buy a new copy so they get more money. That's probably it.
    I'm sure this is it. The video games industry has always loathed used game sales, and now that we live in a world of DLC, online play, and DRM, many developers are adding content incentives to encourage players to buy new (like the free DLC included with new copies of Dragon Age: Origins or Fable III, which are a little less heavy-handed in that they're much smaller parts of the game and can still be purchased by players of used copies) or controls to simply shut out the used-games market (like the very iron-fisted, no-used-copies-allowed method used by Sega here).

Couple the above with the fact that GameStop has virtually monopolized the used-games market and used their ubiquity to slash discounts on used popular titles to next to nothing anyway, and the industry is pretty much getting what it wants: with a few exceptions, buying used just isn't worth it anymore.
    belladonna5012 on the official forums.
    PS0: Katherine (HUmarl 89), FOcaseal (RAcaseal 13), Dreck (HUcaseal 57)
    Offering me free stuff will not convince me to be your Internet Girlfriend.

They're really shooting themselves in the foot this time. I get the perk of buying new, but the EA model only really works when you actually offer people the chance to play online. What happens when new copies aren't on store shelves anymore? o-o Plus, $10 is better than nothing. Especially since I don't see sales going up.

Then again, there was supposed to be a fix for the actual need for the PSN download- but that hasn't even been implemented yet anyways. Online is still completely open.

Two, I must be one of the only ones left who enjoys UMDs, discs, etc. I don't mind digital distribution (I buy a ton of XBLA games), but given the option I love having the physical game/booklet- especially since the game industry is headed to a digital distribution future. Gotta appreciate it while it lasts.
    Last edited by Fayorei; Nov 25, 2010 at 09:30 PM.
    "Here is the map. All the info is there, except for the info that isn't there." -Onett Librarian
    Let's Play something.
    PSO2 Alpha:
    Level 20 HUnewearl:Level 20 RAmarl:Level 20 FOnewearl:Level 18 HUcaseal

Quote Originally Posted by Allison_W View Post
    Couple the above with the fact that GameStop has virtually monopolized the used-games market and used their ubiquity to slash discounts on used popular titles to next to nothing anyway, and the industry is pretty much getting what it wants: with a few exceptions, buying used just isn't worth it anymore.

I'd have to say there's more than just a few exceptions. Buying any console game used offers a huge saving on the 'new' price. None of the games in my PS3 collection cost me more than £8 and I have all the big titles.

Used PC game market IS dead, though.
    Red Sky Male/Beast/Hunter (PSP2) ~lvl81
    Rain Female/CAST/Ranger (PSP2) ~lvl96