Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default In your opinion, as far as graphics go....

Would you say the graphics in PSO version2 for Dreamcast are better than Blue Burst, C.A.R.D. Revolution or the PC versions?

And for someone that is very graphics oriented (unfortunately me), would someone see a huge difference between PSO2 and the PC/PS2 version of PSU?
    Last edited by Roger Triton; Dec 28, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
    Triton. At your service.

Er, PSO2 for Dreamcast? Do you mean Version 2?

Team: Outsourced Mutiny lostinseganet's Avatar
    Lost somewhere between seganet and the grave

They should make the games graphics cartoon/cel shading graphics like. With no jaggies and great lighting. That way they will have plenty of room for gameplay with 16 player coop. Everyone draws phantasy star cartoon like anyway.

They should make the game with the Hedgehog Engine. After seeing the graphics of Sonic Colors and 360's Unleashed, that would be total badass eye candy.

....I just wonder if the game can handle such graphical power now that I think of it? Hmm... Maybe Cel-shading is the better idea. :/
    "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." ~Assassins

i dont think they should cel-shade it. i think it always makes games look weird and rough.
    I request a dance of intellect, put on your thinking shoes!

Zelda: Wind Waker and Tales of Vesperia are just two of many cel-shaded games that look amazing, considering.

I wouldn't mind a cel-shaded look, but it would kind of take away from the experience we had in PSO. It would leave a weird taste in my mouth, being a direct sequel and all.

Cel-shading is not inherently "faster" or less-demanding than just going straight 3D.

As long as they don't utterly fail at optimization like they did with PSU, the game should run just fine.

It's worth noting that cel-shading is a lot broader of a shader type than what people will typically associate with it - that is, it doesn't have to exist just to make things look "cartoony." It also isn't easier to process necessarily - it's just that it's easier to use lower-polygon models that fit with the style, and the lack of polygons will be less apparent because of the shading technique being employed. Not that that's a bad thing.

In a more technical sense, all that cel-shading really does is remove attenuation of highlights and shadows by replacing them with very sharp barriers of contrast. Depending on to what extreme they take the effect (and how liberal the application of outlines for characters, which is actually a separate effect), games can go from looking like Jet Set Radio Future, to Sonic 4, to Borderlands.

All of these games use cel-shading, just to different extremes - with Borderlands being significantly more subtle in its approach and muting of attenuation, and JSRF making it as outstanding as possible (and it is glorious).

Cel-shading in PSO though? I'm not so sure about that - granted, it could certainly work, especially if the used a more subtle styling of it, but I don't thing going full-on cartoon mode with the graphics is the right choice for a game like PSO.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Xellitoss View Post
    Would you say the graphics in PSO2 for Dreamcast are better than Blue Burst, C.A.R.D. Revolution or the PC versions?

And for someone that is very graphics oriented (unfortunately me), would someone see a huge difference between PSO2 and the PC/PS2 version of PSU?
    pso v.2 for the dreamcast is not pso2, this should probably be moved to PSO general

I totally have inappropriate feelings for cel shading. Make it happen.
    belladonna5012 on the official forums.
    PS0: Katherine (HUmarl 89), FOcaseal (RAcaseal 13), Dreck (HUcaseal 57)
    Offering me free stuff will not convince me to be your Internet Girlfriend.