Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I actually like what Chaobo's getting at. A special set of statas/cosmetics unique to the special and rare weapon/armor. It makes it possible to have the same stats with different effects, so that everyone can hunt and search for that special combination that makes them the most happy.

Granted, it may cause a severe headache grinding for rares like that all the time, but that's half of any game after a certain point anyway :P

Quote Originally Posted by Chaobo99 View Post
    I meant that special weapons should have their own special units because they are unique. Lower level weapons can still have their color/stat changes and everything but special weapons should retain their specialty.
    Wouldn't it make more sense though, for special weapons to just have their unique properties as innate things?

That way, whatever weapon customization there may be (if at all) would be a more universal thing, but rare weapons could still keep their own level of uniqueness, without attempting to further complicate the matter.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

i really like the idea of having weapon slots. but i think that they should work on all weapons like on armors.

I agree with kent, the unique weapons should have the abilitys as part of the weapon, not a seperate slot. all that would happen if they did that is force people to hunt for 2 rare items just to make the weapon at its best. everyone would want the super rare slot that only fits in their super rare weapon, so everyone's weapon would end up the same. which is what we are trying to avoid.

what might work is having a rare slot that works with all weapons, but gives a small bonus to certain weapons/classes. for example, a slot adds +50 ATA, but if equipted on a spread needle/shot class it increases ATA by +60. or maybe it makes your shots look like there on fire. I think that would let people costomize their weapons without making everyone want the same thing.
    I request a dance of intellect, put on your thinking shoes!

I think it'd be more interesting if we stayed away from weapon slots giving stat bonuses like frame slots. That is, while units that go into armor may increase your stats (like ATP, DFP, etc.), units that go into weapons should have very different, but still relatively-small effects: Things like bonus critical hit damage, increased accuracy gain from performing combos, more knockback when performing heavy attacks, enhanced status effect chances (if the associated weapon can inflict a status effect), etc.

Likewise, this could also be extended to barriers, which could grant a variety of special effects that happen when you block (such as a small bonus to HP or TP, or pushing back enemies around you), but could easily also be fitted with units that boost elemental resistances (instead of having them equipped onto frames, that is) - things that are pretty much solely defensive (whereas weapon units are largely-offensive, and armor units run the gamut, but are mostly passive effects).

It could end up making things pretty interesting, I think - especially allowing for players to further-customize their equipment to suit their particular playstyle.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Whiskey/Newearl Addict Lance813's Avatar

Kent, please apply for the SEGA position and make this game...

Seriously though, this game better be good or I'm going to lose it. If they stick this on a console (which they better) the online should revolve around a visual lobby and some sort of way to implement a trading feature, such as an auction house.

That would be lovely.

I would like to see a new Pioneer ship (Pioneer 3 please?) have a separate part of the shops area (which should be bigger and the same brand of that good ole' futuristic PSO art style) to have an equipment workstation, or a customization kiosk. In there, items could have certain values manipulated, as Kent stated, which also give a visible change to a piece of equipment. Like, a sword-type weapon, with a Zonde multiplying stat change via kiosk, would gain a visible electro radiance and have a chance at paralyzing a foe. How about? A shield or barrier, receiving a boost to the dark attribute, gives off a radiant dark energy when attacks are blocked.

With all of the standard equipment in PSO looking, exactly, the same minus the part of the weapon with Photons being a different color... there is room for customization.

Look at all of the names for store-bought, non-rare defensives in PSO:
    Freeze Barrier, Flame Barrier, Solid Shield, Hard Shield, Ultimate Frame... etc.

They all look the same. Now give the player upgradeable equipment early on, while also giving rare items the same kind of options.

Weapons could live up to their names and not be the same thing over and over again... This also happened in PSU. (but that game sucked, anyways...)

A Flame Barrier with a fire visual. Cool.
    More of the same recycled crap. Meh...

I would love to see grinding becoming more expanded upon, such as, grinding certain stats while capping the most obvious and making them into one-of-a-kind weapons. That would make this game's weapons true to their PSO counter-parts.

PSO was marketed as a game of the future. Its both aesthetically pleasing, and in its right, the first online game of its kind. Hell, if its not made with the same devotion PSO was made with, I assure you that SEGA is doomed in their quest to seek out their former glory.

Long live PSO.
    God save the queen PSO2.

Seriously though, PS3 and 360 pl0x. No Wii.
    Realistic, non-animu faces... What you wear helps or defends you in some way, keep this in mind.
    Give me console graphics, to the max.
    Install the game on HD for consoles... MUST.
    HU. RA. FO.
    MAGs... Make them sweet as hell...
    Red boxes. Lots of them.
    You said "area customization." Throw it at me.

As a PSO fan, I digress...
    Last edited by Lance813; Nov 29, 2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Cranial Masturbation...

Furou-uen | Rhysa | Aeryssa | Lance

I think that they should be customizable to some extent, maybe in a way that you can add an attribute bonus that can be added to the equipment when you find it.

I am a Olga Flow to know what you are take the quiz here.

This is my pet rabbit. His name is Kireek
    (\(\
    (-.-)
    o.(")(")

they should bring back some sort of system to upgrade attributes like in gallon's shop in PSO. it sucked in PSU and PSZ that when you finally got a super rare weapon, you ended up having to go find another one because it had no attribute.
    I request a dance of intellect, put on your thinking shoes!

most mmos tend to have this issue. i personally love the idea, but with certain rares customizing them would defeats the purpose of the find, so i think something like giving customizable color schemes or auras around the weapon would be nice. but you dont want to re skin a j-sword into a Red Sword cause that just defeats the purpose

also i LOVED S-rank weapons because not only could you name them and grind the mess out of them and give them a special, but in a game of dumb luck 99% of the time, it was one of the few items that you could just put real work and skill into getting and be rewarded for it fairly.
    Last edited by ANIMEniac; Nov 29, 2010 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance813 View Post

I would like to see a new Pioneer ship (Pioneer 3 please?)
    This part might be hard to justify, due to already-released games: PS0 takes place on Coral, long after the death of the civilization that launched the Pioneer projects. Or at least, its heavily implied in the final level.

I'm all for visual customization. I do not want my appearance limited for the sake of stats, with the exception of high-level weapons/shields (But not armor, that can stay as aura stuff, and with an off option, maybe)

I could go for even unique-looking rares to have some customization. For instance, having Amore Rose's flower be recolorable to a degree. (Probably presets. Regular weapons should be more customizable I'd say)
    Last edited by Randomness; Nov 29, 2010 at 05:36 PM.
    Coming Soon!

It took me a second, but then i realized that was a Zero and not a "O" lol